+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

The Chosen People

The Jewish nation is often referred to as "the Chosen People."

Many people (including Jews) are uncomfortable with this idea. They perceive the concept of a "Chosen People" as racist and mindful of the Nazi concept of a supreme "Aryan" nation. It appears to contradict the accepted Western ideal of all people being equal before God.

Is the Jewish concept of choseness racist?
    When the Torah refers to the Jewish people as "chosen," it is not in any way asserting that Jews are racially superior. Americans, Russians, Europeans, Asians and Ethiopians are all part of the Jewish people.

It is impossible to define choseness as anything related to race, since Jews are racially diverse.

Yet while the term "Chosen People" does not mean racially superior, choseness does imply a special uniqueness.

What is this uniqueness?

Please do not reply with curse words or words with stars. Civil replies only. Stick to the content of the post when you reply.

Godeskian is offline I have taken all knowledge to be my province. User Rank

Re: The Chosen People

You don't generally go out of your way to choose things, even unique things, unless there is some element of that thing that you find appealing. if Jews are indeed the 'chosen people' then there is something about them that God finds more appealing than he finds about other 'people's' (regardless of how you choose to interpret that word)
    Close your eyes, but keep your mind wide open.

Where in the Bible does it say that the Jews are the "Chosen People?"

Godeskian is offline I have taken all knowledge to be my province. User Rank

Why are you asking me? I never mentioned the bible. I was ruminating on inherent value of the word 'chosen'
    Close your eyes, but keep your mind wide open.

Just wondering. I've never heard any Jewish friends of my call themselves 'chose.'

dchristie is offline Challenge Authority User Rank

thats hilarious...

Quote Originally Posted by dchristie
    Excellent post D.
    The prank has comedic value. But more importantly it is funny because it is very real, there are people equally as racist and delusional, I know, I have met them.
    I especially like this comment from a viewer at the site.

BoruJudasDedrich (4 days ago)
    Judaism is based on bloodline, thus inherently racist. Duh. There are a lot of decent non-racist Jewish people out there; however, there also are a lot of Jewish Supremacists...especially when it comes to Israel. Bottom line: race-based religions like Judaism and Shintoism must be purged from the human species for our species to move forward. So let's pass on all the great Jewish wisdom and culture, but let's drop these exclusionist religious beliefs.

KishmeernTuches
    There is nothing unique about Jews, end of story!
    Every race, religion, believe system, and tribe has a mythology that includes the myth of the ‘chosen people.’ This concept pre-dates Judaism by thousands of years if not millions. For anyone who has studied comparative mythology this is self evident.
    The problem is there are many Jews that still believe they invented the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by dchristie
    Jeez Christie, I would wreck that chick!

Truly wreck her.

:)
    Every Saint has a past, every sinner has a future..

Quote Originally Posted by KishmeernTuches
    The Jewish nation is often referred to as "the Chosen People.".
    By who?

And for what?

Quote Originally Posted by Phinnly Slash Buster
    Judaism is based on bloodline, thus inherently racist. Duh.
    But, I learned in a college religion course that
    some of the greatest names in Jewish history - Ruth, the ancestor of King David, and Onkelos a Talmudic Sage -- were converts to Judaism.

Quote Originally Posted by KishmeernTuches
    But, I learned in a college religion course that
    some of the greatest names in Jewish history - Ruth, the ancestor of King David, and Onkelos a Talmudic Sage -- were converts to Judaism.
    Golly Olly, I went to College too. If you signed up for a ‘college religion course’ you should have learned something…………or maybe not
    The Bible, both Old and New Testament is a collection of myths. It is the basis of a believe system not a documentation of historical facts.

The Bible Unearthed: Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Texts
    http://www.amazon.com/Bible-Unearthe...121240-2733665

Amazon.com's Best of 2001
    The Bible Unearthed is a balanced, thoughtful, bold reconsideration of the historical period that produced the Hebrew Bible. The headline news in this book is easy to pick out: there is no evidence for the existence of Abraham, or any of the Patriarchs; ditto for Moses and the Exodus; and the same goes for the whole period of Judges and the united monarchy of David and Solomon. In fact, the authors argue that it is impossible to say much of anything about ancient Israel until the seventh century B.C., around the time of the reign of King Josiah. In that period, "the narrative of the Bible was uniquely suited to further the religious reform and territorial ambitions of Judah." Yet the authors deny that their arguments should be construed as compromising the Bible's power. Only in the 18th century--"when the Hebrew Bible began to be dissected and studied in isolation from its powerful function in community life"--did readers begin to view the Bible as a source of empirically verifiable history. For most of its life, the Bible has been what Finkelstein and Silberman reveal it once more to be: an eloquent expression of "the deeply rooted sense of shared origins, experiences, and destiny that every human community needs in order to survive," written in such a way as to encompass "the men, women, and children, the rich, the poor, and the destitute of an entire community."
    Last edited by Phinnly Slash Buster; 05-21-2007 at 06:00 PM.

dchristie is offline Challenge Authority User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by Phinnly Slash Buster
    Excellent post D.
    The prank has comedic value. But more importantly it is funny because it is very real, there are people equally as racist and delusional, I know, I have met them.
    i didnt hear one racist thing this couple said. they repeatedly said they dont want their daughter with someone who wasnt jewish, but never once did they make racist comments about others.

jeez...

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralTsoGood
    i didnt hear one racist thing this couple said. they repeatedly said they dont want their daughter with someone who wasnt jewish, but never once did they make racist comments about others.

jeez...
    Huh?

If I said I did not want my daughter with someone that was not a white aryan, that would be racist, so what is the difference..?

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Well Fine Then
    Huh?

If I said I did not want my daughter with someone that was not a white aryan, that would be racist, so what is the difference..?
    When did people of a certain religious belief become a race?
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.