+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bill Maher insults the troops ....again

Bill Maher Knows More About What’s Going on in Iraq Than Our Troops
    Posted by Noel Sheppard on May 17, 2007 - 18:28.
    HBO’s Bill Maher is quickly becoming a walking billboard for the concept that hate is blinding.

In a blog published at the Huffington Post Wednesday, Maher actually implied that he knows more -- from his residence in Southern California -- about what’s going on in Iraq than America’s troops that are risking their lives there (emphasis added throughout):

Since this war began the number of soldiers in Iraq who think Saddam Hussein was responsible for 9/11 has stunned us all. We continue to be surprised by the number of troops over there who still think we're winning, convinced we're doing good, and that if America pulls out they will follow us home.

Well, Bill, if this is what the troops on the ground are saying, shouldn’t we listen to them? Apparently not:

The military sent to Iraq some of the most educated soldiers in a generation. More have high school degrees than those who served in Vietnam.

But that doesn't mean they know anything.

Can you imagine the gall and the arrogance it takes to be so pompous and full of oneself to actually put in writing that you have a better idea of what’s going on in a country than those that are currently there?

Clearly, this man’s hatred of the administration, and disdain for this war have become so blinding that he has lost any contact with sanity concerning the matter:

It's become obvious that the job of the Bush military is to keep our soldiers on a "need to know" state of alert.

Which is why on Friday the Pentagon announced that soldiers serving in Iraq and Afghanistan would no longer be able to use military computers to access You Tube [sic], My Space [sic] and eleven other popular websites.

Do soldiers deserve the truth? Or does that weaken them as soldiers?

And this, ladies and gentlemen, represents the real level of the blindness: Maher actually believes that the truth about this war -- or anything for that matter -- is on display at YouTube and MySpace.

Makes you wonder what color the sky is in his world, doesn’t it?
    Originally posted by Americanadian
    Palin: Omit the "i" and you're left with "Pain".

Re: Bill Maher insults the troops ....again

"Insulting the troops"? Who cares? Insult me all you want. That would be the least of my worries if I were serving in Iraq in the midst of suicide bombers. The troops have bigger things to worry about than Bill Maher's comments.

You know what the real insult is to the troops - Walter Reed. Why don't you get worked up about that?

Godeskian is offline I have taken all knowledge to be my province. User Rank

Actually, I doubt the average troop on the ground does have a good idea of what's going on. The people at the short end of the stick don't usually have a good view of the big picture.

That's not to say that Maher does know, but don't overestimate what the average soldier does or does not know either.
    Close your eyes, but keep your mind wide open.

4. 05-18-2007, 04:42 PM

seems to me bill does know more than those troops...

dchristie is offline Challenge Authority User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by franKg
    Bill Maher Knows More About What’s Going on in Iraq Than Our Troops
    Posted by Noel Sheppard on May 17, 2007 - 18:28.
    HBO’s Bill Maher is quickly becoming a walking billboard for the concept that hate is blinding.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, represents the real level of the blindness: Maher actually believes that the truth about this war -- or anything for that matter -- is on display at YouTube and MySpace.

Makes you wonder what color the sky is in his world, doesn’t it?
    What is staggering is that there are still some (perhaps as many as 24% of the US population) who are so brain-dead and detached from reality, they think The Bush Crime Gang is any more credible than content posted on "YouTube" or "My Space" ...or on a men's room wall for that matter. It does make you wonder.
    Last edited by dchristie; 05-18-2007 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald
    "Insulting the troops"? Who cares?
    ?
    Me. If you've ever been in the middle of hell that all wars are, insulting the troops doesn't go down well for an eighteen year old already homesick for the first time in his life seeing his buddies die. But of course how would you know ron?
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    Me. If you've ever been in the middle of hell that all wars are, insulting the troops doesn't go down well for an eighteen year old already homesick for the first time in his life seeing his buddies die. But of course how would you know ron?
    I wouldn't know, Bogie, because I never served. But it's common sense. If you're on life-threatening duty in Vietnam, homesickness is the least of your worries. If your life is in danger, and if you're living in suspense that any moment could be your last, Bill Maher is something you worry about after that danger has passed, isn't it?

This is not a liberal vs. conservative argument. The argument ties back to this - what's worse? Someone who insults you, or someone who sends you into unnecessary risk? I would rather have 1000 people insult me than have someone send me into a futile war.

As a soldier, would you be worried more if some commentator says an insult, or you come home wounded to a medical center filled with rats? Which do you think is the greater insult?
    Last edited by Ronald; 05-18-2007 at 10:18 PM.

I think the troops are built of sterner stuff than to be hurt by Bill Maher saying that they may not exactly be foreign policy analysts. Give them some credit.

You use the troops as an inarguable shield and cudgel to attack your opponents on the political landscape.

I wouldn't know, Bogie, because I never served. But it's common sense. If you're on life-threatening duty in Vietnam, homesickness is the least of your worries. If your life is in danger, and if you're living in suspense that any moment could be your last, Bill Maher is something you worry about after that danger has passed, isn't it?

This is not a liberal vs. conservative argument. The argument ties back to this - what's worse? Someone who insults you, or someone who sends you into unnecessary risk? I would rather have 1000 people insult me than have someone send me into a futile war.

As a soldier, would you be worried more if some commentator says an insult, or you come home wounded to a medical center filled with rats? Which do you think is the greater insult?
    I was just answering your question:

Insulting the troops"? Who cares?

You asked. I gave my answer.

Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    I was just answering your question:

Insulting the troops"? Who cares?

You asked. I gave my answer.
    You have to look at the context I asked my question. You answered my question out of context. The question is while you're facing being killed, does what someone say half way across the world worry you? And what would insult you more: Bill Maher's comment or being injured and coming home to a rat infested hospital like Walter Reed? Bill Maher's comment, or being sent into an unnecesary war you can't win?

The question is while you're facing being killed, does what someone say half way across the world worry you?
    Wouldn't WORRY me. But that wasn't your question. You asked if the troops would CARE. I answered your question in the context that while you're facing being killed, you definately care about what people are saying a half a world away. Disolusioned or not, the people half a world away is why the fvck their risking their lives for thier country. Whether you and I think they should be there or not, the poor bastards are there and they care how we talk about them. I'm speaking from experience here ron.

Originally posted by Ronald
    "Insulting the troops"? Who cares? Insult me all you want. That would be the least of my worries if I were serving in Iraq in the midst of suicide bombers. The troops have bigger things to worry about than Bill Maher's comments.
    Its one thing to say that you don't agree with this conflict and you think we should bring the troops home but when people like Bill Maher, John Kerry and John Mutha makes derogatory statements about our soldiers , thier ability and their intelligence, during wartime, than that amounts to aiding the enemy and they should be charged with sedition

Bill Maher's problem is that he's pissed because the troops don't share the same twisted view he does, thankfully. Most of the troops there believe in thier mission, they believe that they are fighting for the security of Iraq and the United States and that to leave Iraq to Al-Queda would surely mean more attacks on the US , and possibly Canada .

It doesn't matter what Bill Maher believes , he's not in Iraq and I would guess that he could care less if the troops came home alive or dead however, if the men and women fighting in Iraq believe in thier mission than than we should be giving them all the moral support we can, not insulting their intelligence but once again Bill Maher shows how liberals continue to support our enemies

Originally posted by Ronald
    You know what the real insult is to the troops - Walter Reed. Why don't you get worked up about that?
    Its not the same thing.

Yes it was an insult but unlike Bill Maher's , it was not intentional and the Dept of Defence has since relieved the commander of Walter Reed Army Medical Center and is currently working on improving conditions
    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/milit...eed_05-02.html

Unfortunately there's nothing we can do about what Bill Maher says' , he's a liberal scumbag who's abuses free speech and supports terrorists, he should charged with sediton
    Last edited by franKg; 05-19-2007 at 02:39 AM.

What insults the troops even more is assclown conservatives like frank telling people like Bill Maher he doesn't have the right to say what he wants. Isn't protecting Freedom of Speech one of the very things we have a Military for?
    How fvcking disgusted they must be to fight and die to protect that Freedom, while scumbag conservatives are at home trying to take it away.

The Sedition Act
    Section 3

Whoever, when the United States is at war, shall willfully make or

convey false reports or false statements with intent to interfere with the

operation or success of the military or naval forces of the United States,

or to promote the success of its enemies, or

shall willfully make or convey false reports or false statements, or say or do

anything except by way of bona fide and not disloyal advice to an investor or

investors, with intent to obstruct the sale by the United States of bonds or

other securities of the United States or the making of loans by or to the

United States, and whoever when the United States is at war, shall willfully

cause or attempt to cause, or incite or attempt to incite, insubordination,

disloyalty, mutiny, or refusal of duty, in the military or naval forces of the

United States, or shall willfully obstruct or attempt to obstruct the recruiting

or enlistment services of the United States, and whoever, when the United

States is at war, shall willfully utter, print, write or publish any disloyal,

profane, scurrilous, or abusive language about the form of government of

the United States or the Constitution of the United States, or the military or

naval forces of the United States, or the flag of the United States, or the

uniform of the Army or Navy of the United States into contempt, scorn,

contumely, or disrepute, or shall willfully utter, print, write, or publish any

language intended to incite, provoke, or encourage resistance to the United

States, or to promote the cause of its enemies, or shall willfully display the

flag of any foreign enemy, or shall willfully by utterance, writing, printing,

publication, or language spoken, urge, incite, or advocate any curtailment of

production in this country of any thing or things, product or products,

necessary or essential to the prosecution of the war in which the United

States may be engaged, with intent by such curtailment to cripple or hinder

the United States in the prosecution of war, and whoever shall willfully

advocate, teach, defend, or suggest the doing of any of the acts or things in

this section enumerated, and whoever shall by word or act support or favor

the cause of any country with which the United States is at war or by word

or act oppose the cause of the United States therein, shall be punished by a

fine of not more than $10,000 or the imprisonment for not more than twenty

years, or both: Provided, That any employee or official of the United States

Government who commits any disloyal act or utters any unpatriotic or disloyal

language, or who, in an abusive and violent manner criticizes the Army or

Navy or the flag of the United States shall be at once dismissed from the

service...
    Last edited by franKg; 05-19-2007 at 03:09 AM.

It seems to me that George Bush and Republicans support the success of the enemy by engaging in a losing plan. Saying something will work that doesn't should be considered treason, and he should be dismissed from service immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by UserName
    What insults the troops even more is assclown conservatives like frank telling people like Bill Maher he doesn't have the right to say what he wants. Isn't protecting Freedom of Speech one of the very things we have a Military for?
    How fvcking disgusted they must be to fight and die to protect that Freedom, while scumbag conservatives are at home trying to take it away.
    There is not one US Soldier in Iraq or Afganistan today that would even consider giving thier lives for any members of the far left wing wack-o hate machine like Username and Bill Maher , they'd probably shoot them just as quick as they would kill an member of Al-Queda, and rightfully so