+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 209

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,457

    What a real Christian looks like

    I have heard the utter, utter non-sense that Hitler... was a Christian. Now, I have respect for the people who have that misconception, but that idea on its own is complete and utter buffoonery. It is idiocy. It is a blatant contradiction on so many levels, I won't go into them.

    Now there's this lunacy, this insane lunacy that Falwell is a believing Christian. No, he's a salesman. He's a business man. He's a propagandist. He's a self-proclaimed Christian. He's a conservative. He is a political figure and a waste of time lunatic. Who in their right mind, with all the evil rampant in the world, tries to warn us about the homosexuality of Teletubbies?

    Sexual purity is not sticking your nose in other people's business. Muslims do that. Muslims stay pure through intimidating their neighbors into doing so, and by appearing to be a good person by intimidating others.

    Jim Cantelon, the man I want to share with you, strives at sexual purity. And he's done it because in his heart, he loves God and loves people, and honors that love. He's a man who has studied scripture. He's a genuinely righteous man, and if you ever get the chance to meet him, you'll see someone who will challenge you, who will cut through you with that stare, with his words.

    I listened to him give a sermon once at my bigoted church. His was the only sermon there I was moved by, and his words were like a punch in my gut, and I held back tears of shame. His words were a reality check.

    His vision for the church in Africa is extraordinary. The liberal left may hate the puritan movement in the church, but puritanism done with the right intent can save lives, as the church attempts to change attitudes and behaviors in regards to sex to fight the AIDS pandemic.

    A real church is not one that merely protests abortion, but protests ALL murder. All of it, not just the political.

    It's dumb asses like Falwell that get all the publicity, and so many people scorn Jesus, and scorn the Bible, and claim true and faithful servants to Christ caused the Crusades, when if you read the Bible Jesus preached nothing but non-violence.

    If you want to see what a saint is, I recommend you click this link:
    http://www.visionledd.com/about.html

    Because you will rarely get a chance to ever lay your eyes on a Christian hero. You'll rarely ever get a chance to meet a saint. You'll met lukewarm Christians and phony Christians.

    Real Christians are hard to find. But where there's a real one, athiests should be happy to have one near. They should be thankful and say: "It's a good thing we have an honest person here, someone we can trust. It's a good thing we have this person here who is willing to give so much of themselves to save lives. It's so great that here is this person who doesn't merely protest abortion, but pleads to save the lives of fetuses, offering to adopt the unwanted child him or herself."

    If you don't want to believe in every detail of the Bible, that's a decision of yours I respect. What I don't respect is people taking the Bible and distorting it, and heaping cheap insults on it, and going so far as to deny the moral lessons to those stories.

    Evil people seize Jesus' name to justify their evil. The shooter at Virginia Tech tried it. Falwell usurped it to condone his behavior. But a real Christian does not tout his beliefs, but confesses his shortcomings and blames himself, and he strives to not make his good deeds known.

    If you ever meet a real Christian, you'll notice something different about them. Their silence will speak louder than their attempts to evangelize you. You will be lucky to know such people.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,324

    Re: What a real Christian looks like

    Ronald,

    While I appreciate that this man is probably trying to do the right thing in Africa, he, like the Catholic church, is preaching that condoms are not effective in fighting aids. The pope alone has cost god knows how many lives because he said that condoms won't stop aids.

    The fact is indisputible. Condoms are the most effective means of preventing HIV infection. Effective use of and education about condoms is the best chance Africa has at stemming the HIV epidemic. Teaching that condoms don't work will cost far more lives than it will save.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,457

    Re: What a real Christian looks like

    Quote Originally Posted by kazza
    Ronald,

    While I appreciate that this man is probably trying to do the right thing in Africa, he, like the Catholic church, is preaching that condoms are not effective in fighting aids. The pope alone has cost god knows how many lives because he said that condoms won't stop aids.

    The fact is indisputible. Condoms are the most effective means of preventing HIV infection. Effective use of and education about condoms is the best chance Africa has at stemming the HIV epidemic. Teaching that condoms don't work will cost far more lives than it will save.
    I will agree that condoms are better than not using condoms.

    Condoms will decrease the chance of infection, I agree. But they aren't a silver bullet. Condoms break. Condoms don't always get put on because people get too much in the mood. And as I understand, they don't work 1 out of every 100 times, or some percentage approximately close to that.

    If you read the blog that's on that website I linked, you'll learn more about why AIDS spreads. It's not solely because of ignorance to AIDS. There are a number of other factors involved that have nothing to do with a lack of condoms. Women are raped, forced into prostitution, and have no rights and are taken as trophies, as a sign of one's manhood.

    A condom will not deliver people from evil. What is good is that a woman saves herself for her husband, and he for his wife, and that the man look after her and protect her, and to have sex within the context of marriage, where no virus may come close.

    Having protected sex with an AIDS infected person is a scary risk, and it is insane for you to encourage people to take that life threatening risk.

    My girlfriend, a lovely lady who I'm dating, was actually born despite the use of birth control. I'm really lucky that was the case, but the notion that protection and birth control are 100% fool proof is simply not the case.

    Furthermore, Jim Cantelon is not a catholic, and does not preach that condoms are either good or bad. He preaches the Bible. Also, while you made that statement about Jim's stance on condoms, I doubt you've bothered to research him. You just seem to make that assumption based on a religion (Catholicism) which he has no part in.

    You are also blurring the lines between fake Christians and real ones. The Pope is a man who builds grand cathedrals and church buildings while people starve, while Jim builds God building in redeeming the dying, that their healthy bodies become temples of God. So comparing the two figures, trying to lump them in the same group, is most unappreciated, and completely misses the whole point of this thread.
    Last edited by Ronald; 05-18-2007 at 05:16 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,273

    Re: What a real Christian looks like

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald

    You are also blurring the lines between fake Christians and real ones. The Pope is a man who builds grand cathedrals and church buildings while people starve, while Jim builds God building in redeeming the dying, that their healthy bodies become temples of God. So comparing the two figures, trying to lump them in the same group, is most unappreciated, and completely misses the whole point of this thread.
    maybe the pope has it right. not once in history, ever, has anyone proven that the afterlife exists, life on the other hand is obvious. might as well build grand churches to enjoy during life than worry about what might happen after death...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,548

    Re: What a real Christian looks like

    Quote Originally Posted by kazza
    Ronald,

    While I appreciate that this man is probably trying to do the right thing in Africa, he, like the Catholic church, is preaching that condoms are not effective in fighting aids. The pope alone has cost god knows how many lives because he said that condoms won't stop aids.

    The fact is indisputible. Condoms are the most effective means of preventing HIV infection. Effective use of and education about condoms is the best chance Africa has at stemming the HIV epidemic. Teaching that condoms don't work will cost far more lives than it will save.
    You are bringing condoms with you on your trip to the US I trust. We wouldn't want some new Aussie plague. But if you have troble getting them through security at the airport, we have a good variety on sale everywhere. :cool:
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,548

    Re: What a real Christian looks like

    What a real christian looks like

    Man if ever I saw a thread that belongs on the religious forum this is it. But my definition of what a real christions looks like? Simple. Just like a politician and his party or the member of a club or any other cult, if someone says to me or shouts to the world that he's a christian, then to me he's a christian.
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,548

    Re: What a real Christian looks like

    I recall a seen in the first Crocodile Dundee movie were our hero is walking down a New York city street at night with his new girlfriend. Two thugs jump out from an alley and one of them flashing a little switch blade says, "Give me all your money." Dundee tries nicely to talk some reason to the mugger but his girlfriend stops him and says, "Just give him the money, he's got a knife."

    Dundee reaches back and from under his jacket pulls out a blade about a foot long that he uses to gut fifteen foot crocodiles and says, "You call that a kinfe? That's not a knife, this is a Knife." Off the crooks run and our prince has again saved the day.

    Of course he'd been up against the meanest crocks in the world so he had his idea of what a real knife is. But having never encountered a crock I'd have probably given the punk my money because to me, a knife's a knife.
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,457

    Re: What a real Christian looks like

    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralTsoGood
    maybe the pope has it right. not once in history, ever, has anyone proven that the afterlife exists, life on the other hand is obvious. might as well build grand churches to enjoy during life than worry about what might happen after death...
    I know you're saying that to make a point about religious assumptions, but in making that point, you're basically saying that architecture is worth more than dying children. I hope you don't mean it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,457

    Re: What a real Christian looks like

    Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    What a real christian looks like

    Man if ever I saw a thread that belongs on the religious forum this is it. But my definition of what a real christions looks like? Simple. Just like a politician and his party or the member of a club or any other cult, if someone says to me or shouts to the world that he's a christian, then to me he's a christian.
    Okay, well, what is that person is wrapped in a straight jacket, and not only claims to Christian, but claims he's Jesus. If you were to believe that, then it was nice talking to you. If you don't, then you obviously understand there's a difference between claiming it and being it.

    Good example is Michael Richards (Kramer). The guy claimed he was a Jew. But he didn't have a Jewish parent, nor did he accept the religion.

    Just because you say it doesn't make it true.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,548

    Re: What a real Christian looks like

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald
    Okay, well, what is that person is wrapped in a straight jacket, and not only claims to Christian, but claims he's Jesus. If you were to believe that, then it was nice talking to you. If you don't, then you obviously understand there's a difference between claiming it and being it.

    Good example is Michael Richards (Kramer). The guy claimed he was a Jew. But he didn't have a Jewish parent, nor did he accept the religion.

    Just because you say it doesn't make it true.
    Nothing about religion is true.
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,457

    Re: What a real Christian looks like

    Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    I recall a seen in the first Crocodile Dundee movie were our hero is walking down a New York city street at night with his new girlfriend. Two thugs jump out from an alley and one of them flashing a little switch blade says, "Give me all your money." Dundee tries nicely to talk some reason to the mugger but his girlfriend stops him and says, "Just give him the money, he's got a knife."

    Dundee reaches back and from under his jacket pulls out a blade about a foot long that he uses to gut fifteen foot crocodiles and says, "You call that a kinfe? That's not a knife, this is a Knife." Off the crooks run and our prince has again saved the day.

    Of course he'd been up against the meanest crocks in the world so he had his idea of what a real knife is. But having never encountered a crock I'd have probably given the punk my money because to me, a knife's a knife.
    Okay, I get the metaphor. But here's the metaphor that more accurately describes the situation.

    You're in New York and two guys try to rob you, and they say: "Give me your money. We've got knives." But instead of knives they pull out feathers.

    At which point, you should laugh at them and walk away.

    That's what you ought to be doing. When someone lunatic claims to Christian, you should ask: "What is so Christ-like about you?" Bill Maher actually made that point. He said that most Americans are not Christians, but "buffet Christians". He can hardly call most Christians "Christ-like".

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,457

    Re: What a real Christian looks like

    Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    Nothing about religion is true.
    That's not true. Religion says you're going to die, and you will. They get some things right.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,803

    Re: What a real Christian looks like

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald
    I have heard the utter, utter non-sense that Hitler... was a Christian. Now, I have respect for the people who have that misconception, but that idea on its own is complete and utter buffoonery. It is idiocy. It is a blatant contradiction on so many levels, I won't go into them.

    Now there's this lunacy, this insane lunacy that Falwell is a believing Christian. No, he's a salesman. He's a business man. He's a propagandist. He's a self-proclaimed Christian. He's a conservative. He is a political figure and a waste of time lunatic. Who in their right mind, with all the evil rampant in the world, tries to warn us about the homosexuality of Teletubbies?

    Sexual purity is not sticking your nose in other people's business. Muslims do that. Muslims stay pure through intimidating their neighbors into doing so, and by appearing to be a good person by intimidating others.

    Jim Cantelon, the man I want to share with you, strives at sexual purity. And he's done it because in his heart, he loves God and loves people, and honors that love. He's a man who has studied scripture. He's a genuinely righteous man, and if you ever get the chance to meet him, you'll see someone who will challenge you, who will cut through you with that stare, with his words.

    I listened to him give a sermon once at my bigoted church. His was the only sermon there I was moved by, and his words were like a punch in my gut, and I held back tears of shame. His words were a reality check.

    His vision for the church in Africa is extraordinary. The liberal left may hate the puritan movement in the church, but puritanism done with the right intent can save lives, as the church attempts to change attitudes and behaviors in regards to sex to fight the AIDS pandemic.

    A real church is not one that merely protests abortion, but protests ALL murder. All of it, not just the political.

    It's dumb asses like Falwell that get all the publicity, and so many people scorn Jesus, and scorn the Bible, and claim true and faithful servants to Christ caused the Crusades, when if you read the Bible Jesus preached nothing but non-violence.

    If you want to see what a saint is, I recommend you click this link:
    http://www.visionledd.com/about.html

    Because you will rarely get a chance to ever lay your eyes on a Christian hero. You'll rarely ever get a chance to meet a saint. You'll met lukewarm Christians and phony Christians.

    Real Christians are hard to find. But where there's a real one, athiests should be happy to have one near. They should be thankful and say: "It's a good thing we have an honest person here, someone we can trust. It's a good thing we have this person here who is willing to give so much of themselves to save lives. It's so great that here is this person who doesn't merely protest abortion, but pleads to save the lives of fetuses, offering to adopt the unwanted child him or herself."

    If you don't want to believe in every detail of the Bible, that's a decision of yours I respect. What I don't respect is people taking the Bible and distorting it, and heaping cheap insults on it, and going so far as to deny the moral lessons to those stories.

    Evil people seize Jesus' name to justify their evil. The shooter at Virginia Tech tried it. Falwell usurped it to condone his behavior. But a real Christian does not tout his beliefs, but confesses his shortcomings and blames himself, and he strives to not make his good deeds known.

    If you ever meet a real Christian, you'll notice something different about them. Their silence will speak louder than their attempts to evangelize you. You will be lucky to know such people.
    Tell me something Ronald...are Catholics considered "Christian" ?
    franKg - "Since God was ok with Moses, Joshua and David burning cities to the ground and killing all the civilians I think he would be ok with us splashing a little water on some terrorists."

    Dr poormouth - "Exackly;
    It's not "waterboarding", it's "extraordinary baptism""

    Quote Originally Posted by carlbenator
    As discussed in a previous thread, this IRRATIONAL HATRED for the Jews and their RIGHT to SURVIVE is one of the many PROOFS of a God, AND a Devil.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,457

    Re: What a real Christian looks like

    Quote Originally Posted by Americanadian
    Tell me something Ronald...are Catholics considered "Christian" ?
    Some Catholics are and some aren't. My personal view on Catholics is that they simply add a lot of myths on top of their Christian faith, and some of it can be blasphemous. While I dislike their irrationality, the core of the matter remains the pursuit of the morals presented in the Gospels, and if they truly pursue that, despite the un-truths they add, I think they would be legitimate Christians.

    However, I do not know enough about Catholics. My knowledge is limited. So my answer is more of a guess.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,548

    Re: What a real Christian looks like

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald
    Okay, I get the metaphor. But here's the metaphor that more accurately describes the situation.

    You're in New York and two guys try to rob you, and they say: "Give me your money. We've got knives." But instead of knives they pull out feathers.
    If they pulled a couple of feathers on me and called them knives, then it would simply place them in the same mental category as the faithful; delusional. That more accurately describes MY situation when I encounter a christian when they make similarly outlandish claims as calling a feather a knife. Kinda like somebody calling mary a virgin.
    At which point, you should laugh at them and walk away.
    I try to be more sensitive and kind than that to christians and I would never just walk away but I will admit that it's often difficult to hold back the laughing.
    That's what you ought to be doing. When someone lunatic claims to Christian, you should ask: "What is so Christ-like about you?" .
    So now your telling me what I OUGHT to be doing? When someone claims he's christian, I won't judge him as a lunatic as you would. I'd judge him as a christian. But I run into many people of different religious persuasions other than christianity. I care no more about what you or the bible say about christianity than I do about what a jihadist says about islam. You're having one hell of a hard time understanding this ronald but once again, you and I have different definitions of what a christian is. But here's the dictionary definition, not mine, and it works for me.


    Christian definition
    adj.
    1. Professing belief in Jesus as Christ or following the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.
    2. Relating to or derived from Jesus or Jesus's teachings.
    3. Manifesting the qualities or spirit of Jesus; Christlike.
    4. Relating to or characteristic of Christianity or its adherents.
    5. Showing a loving concern for others; humane.


    Hey look at that. According to number five I'm a christian too. :D
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,548

    Re: What a real Christian looks like

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald
    That's not true. Religion says you're going to die, and you will. They get some things right.
    :D You got me. Just making sure you were paying attention. :D
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

Similar Threads

  1. Christian Traditions are More Pagan than Christian
    By aegist in forum Religious Scams
    Replies: 148
    Last Post: 11-08-2012, 02:56 AM
  2. What a real Christian looks like
    By Ronald in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 05-20-2007, 08:07 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2007, 05:11 PM
  4. Real Tests for Real Children
    By sojustask in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-25-2007, 06:45 PM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-07-2006, 01:21 PM

Tags for this Thread

Add / Edit Tags
account, accurate, acts, admit, adult, agreement, aid, airport, aka, ale, allowing, ame, american, amount, anniversary, appreciated, associated press, asy, attempts, attitude, aus, azi, based, believers, ben, biggest, blatant, blend, blue, body, bomber, bored, british, brown, bunch, bur, cake, camps, catch, catholic, chambers, chance, characteristics, christmas, church, clean, clock, close, club, coke, collection, comparison, complain, complete, confesses, conflicts, continue, cost, couldn, credibility, credit, critical, cure, damn, dark, daughter, david, dear, death camps, debating, declared, delusions, democracy, destroyed, disaster, discount, discovering, disrespect, doesn, dont, drew, electio, elon, embassy, eme, enemy, ethical, experience, explained, extra, extreme, eye, factory, fail, faithful, favorite, fec, figures, fine, fit, flat, fled, force, forgiveness, future, gas, gas chambers, gay, gee, gen, genocide, give, god, gonna, guys, hahaha, hands, hasn, hatred, hearts, held, helping, higher, home, homeland, html, huge, human, humans, hunters, hurricanes, idiots, images, imagine, important, include, infected, influence, inheritance, interest, invade, issues, jackson, jail, jan, jim, john, joke, kennedy, killer, kiss, knock, lady, laugh, lessons, letters, liberal, liberals, lies, lincoln, line, lis, listen, local, lol, long run, loves, lunatic, mad, mama, mankind, mark, mass, master, mea, meet, members, mental, million, millions, mind, mocking, nails, national, nature, needy, neo, noble, oas, obamas, opposite, orange, pal, pandemic, par, pastor, people, perception, photos, picture, pissed, planes, planet, planned, plans, policy, political, poor, pope, posted, power, predicted, prepared, pretending, prostitution, protected, protection, proves, public, pull, pump, punished, punishment, pursuit, questions, ratzinger, rea, real, reality, reason, reasons, reich, reincarnation, reliable, representative, research, respect, response, restore, rev, revived, revolt, ripper, risk, rivera, roo, sad, sale, salvation, saves, scale, scary, serve, service, sex, sharing, shirts, shoes, shouldn, shows, side, skin, son, songs, sort, space, specifically, spent, spreading, start, stream, student, submit, subs, succeed, tactic, taxes, teach, tells, thankful, thinks, threads, told, tolerance, top, tortured, total, totally, trailer, uncategorized, unchallenged, united, universe, unwan, verifiable, version, vice, victory, view, viewpoint, violence, wanted, wars, watching, western, won, wonderful, wont, words, worked, working, wow, writing, youth

View Tag Cloud

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •