+ Reply to Thread

Please read. Care to help?

Shane Bernier is a courageous seven-year-old boy from Lancaster, Ontario who was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia when he was only five. On June 6th, 2006 Shane and his family received some unfortunate news: Shane experienced a relapse after completing 108 of 130 weeks of treatment.

However, despite the bad news, Shane has managed to keep a positive outlook on his situation and has made a heart-warming wish... He hasn’t asked for money or toys or anything of the sort. Instead, his birthday is on May 30th and he would like to break the world record for the most birthday cards ever received. His goal is 350 million cards. With every card, Shane’s courage grows. Something as simple as sending a birthday card could be enough to help Shane find peace and joy in his current circumstances.

Please take the time to send a card to Shane and make his dream become a reality. Share his story with your friends, family and co-workers. If at all possible, get your youth groups, church congregations, employees, neighbours or communities to set aside a few minutes to write a thoughtful note to Shane.

With every card, Shane’s smile grows...

http://www.shaneswish.com/

And for those who would like to verify that this isn't a scam or whatever:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/medical/bernier.asp
    franKg - "Since God was ok with Moses, Joshua and David burning cities to the ground and killing all the civilians I think he would be ok with us splashing a little water on some terrorists."

Dr poormouth - "Exackly;
    It's not "waterboarding", it's "extraordinary baptism""

Quote Originally Posted by carlbenator
    As discussed in a previous thread, this IRRATIONAL HATRED for the Jews and their RIGHT to SURVIVE is one of the many PROOFS of a God, AND a Devil.

Re: Please read. Care to help?

It is odd sometimes the things that people want. I guess wanting to be remembered for more than just cancer or to hold all those cards and realize that world is much larger than the home or hospital.

Thanks and I will be happy to oblige. Anybody know what the postage cost is from America to Canada?

It's..90 cents..the U.S. Postal people just raised it...

Quote Originally Posted by Intense
    It's..90 cents..the U.S. Postal people just raised it...
    Thanks! :)

I don't mean to sound insensitive, I feel for this kid, I really do.

However. This kid has received 125,000 cards so far, that's roughly half a million dollars worth of cards and mail. If instead of sending a card, every person donated that $4-$5 to charity, it could have built a dozen medical centers in poor African communities, or 50 water pumps for starving communities, or, ironically, could have gone a hell of a long way in research towards curing cancer. If he does reach his goal of 350 million cards, that would be almost the same amount spent on birthday cards as Rwanda's GDP for the year.

I'm not trying to say its a bad thing for people to be sending cards to this kid, but it's amazing how these things work. People can stare at a TV ad and see starving black kids in Africa eating dead rats to survive and not care, but somehow when its a kid in a nice clean hospital it becomes real to them, something they can connect with.

Quote Originally Posted by kazza

However. This kid has received 125,000 cards so far, that's roughly half a million dollars worth of cards and mail. If instead of sending a card, every person donated that $4-$5 to charity, it could have built a dozen medical centers in poor African communities, or 50 water pumps for starving communities, or, ironically, could have gone a hell of a long way in research towards curing cancer. If he does reach his goal of 350 million cards, that would be almost the same amount spent on birthday cards as Rwanda's GDP for the year.

I'm not trying to say its a bad thing for people to be sending cards to this kid, but it's amazing how these things work. People can stare at a TV ad and see starving black kids in Africa eating dead rats to survive and not care, but somehow when its a kid in a nice clean hospital it becomes real to them, something they can connect with.
    ..... yep! .....

Quote Originally Posted by kazza

Very true. Add that to the horrible conditions which the Palestinians live in as well, and one can truly marvel at our inability to identify with people in other countries who suffer hardship. Much more can be done to prevent tragedy around the world if people were made more aware of it and when they are made aware of it, act on reversing the negative into something positive.
    franKg - "Since God was ok with Moses, Joshua and David burning cities to the ground and killing all the civilians I think he would be ok with us splashing a little water on some terrorists."

Dr poormouth - "Exackly;
    It's not "waterboarding", it's "extraordinary baptism""

Quote Originally Posted by carlbenator
    As discussed in a previous thread, this IRRATIONAL HATRED for the Jews and their RIGHT to SURVIVE is one of the many PROOFS of a God, AND a Devil.