+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rinse that spaghetti!

Ok, I am here to chat because I learned something new today and I want this little obsticle taken care of and it on the record!

I have been making spaghetti now for the last 15 yrs of my life. I have NEVER been able to go to the fridge and have some spaghetti leftovers without the damn stuff sticking together.

My husband, on the other hand, made his first batch of spaghetti last week.

I go into the fridge, take out his spaghetti this morning to partake in some leftovers and what do you think happened?
    THE DARN STUFF DIDN'T STICK TOGETHER!

So I ask him, "Honey, how did u cook your spaghetti?", he said, "with some oil in the pot.", I said, "Did u rinse it?", he said, "Yeah, in hot water.". I was absolutely stunned....."hot water???...my mom always told me, never rinse in hot, rinse in cold."

Lesson: Always rinse in HOT WATER not COLD WATER!!!

Have a nice day

Re: Rinse that spaghetti!

That's odd. I always rinse in cold water and my spaghetti doesn't stick together? I do use oil when I cook it though too.. does that make a difference do you think?

I have always rinsed my spaghetti in cold water. It's what my mom told me to do.
    The only thing different my husband did than me, is he rinsed in hot. It didn't stick AT ALL!
    I myself was shocked....

I don't rinse my spaghetti - where were you guys raised? We put a little salt in the water while it's boiling and after it is drained, we put just enough of the sauce in the spaghetti and mix it together so that it barely coats the noodles (lubricates it so it doesn't stick). Then serve it with sauce on top. Unless you're in a restaurant and need the oil to keep it from sticking (cooking noodles ahead of time and just heating them as needed), putting oil on the noodles can really mess them up (causes the sauce to slide off) and if you've spent all day cooking a sauce you don't want that to happen.

Of course we usually use ziti or penne pasta instead of spaghetti. I've never seen anybody on my mothers side of the family (italian) do it anyother way (rinsing and then mixing a little sauce on the noodles) - of course I've never seen any of them fix spaghetti (ragu and hamburger meat) the way my husbands family and most of my friend's family do. I never even heard of that until I saw my husband's family do it.

I never rinse my spaghetti... and it never sticks for me ?!? I do use a touch of canola oil in the pot though. Hmm... curious. I have never had a spaghetti sticking issue. :confused:
    Thanks
    NEO

ShitHomeCash.com - a site that pays you to fill out surveys, complete offers, and try products & services from our sponsors - many of the surveys, offers, products, and services are totally free!

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Jehwio
    I never rinse my spaghetti... and it never sticks for me ?!? I do use a touch of canola oil in the pot though. Hmm... curious. I have never had a spaghetti sticking issue. :confused:
    Me neither. I don't use oil in the pot but it works for some, also it will help keep potatoes from boiling over.

i've ALWAYS had sticky anything noodly!?and i will try the oil and hot water remedies!?thanks!!and i must ADD that this thread points to another FACTOR in that the incredibility of any CLAIM is never BORN out by 1 or 2 ASSERTIONS!?it may leave an impression of question but that is soon forgotten!?UNLESS the PRESSURE of the so seen ODDITY is NOT removed from the path of least resistance!?and then the real learning process takes place...or is ABORTED!?such is the way of mind!?and such is the way of mind made permanent by asserted authority!?for the good of all or not!?where is the line in the sand!?and who is the drawer of that line!?and what are the FORseen consequences of CROSSING any LINE!?and WHY is that an IMPEDIMENT!?what is gained and what is lost!?is it a question of ECONOMICS!?what is the BASIS of all ECONOMICS!?ownership of WHAT!?PRIVACY!?a piece of the ROCK!?what is the fear/innocense that drives MOST to FOLLOW any THREAT to their own PERCEIVED RESPECTABILITY!?who or WHAT are the SEEN/perceived AUTHORS of RESPECT!?have I become the DREADED spaghetti MONSTER!?hehe!!....just askn...
    Last edited by lexx; 05-18-2007 at 05:52 AM.
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by lexx
    i've ALWAYS had sticky anything noodly!?and i will try the oil and hot water remedies!?thanks!!and i must ADD that this thread points to another FACTOR in that the incredibility of any CLAIM is never BORN out by 1 or 2 ASSERTIONS!?it may leave an impression of question but that is soon forgotten!?UNLESS the PRESSURE of the so seen ODDITY is NOT removed from the path of least resistance!?and then the real learning process takes place...or is ABORTED!?such is the way of mind!?and such is the way of mind made permanent by asserted authority!?for the good of all or not!?where is the line in the sand!?and who is the drawer of that line!?and what are the FORseen consequences of CROSSING any LINE!?and WHY is that an IMPEDIMENT!?what is gained and what is lost!?is it a question of ECONOMICS!?what is the BASIS of all ECONOMICS!?ownership of WHAT!?PRIVACY!?a piece of the ROCK!?what is the fear/innocense that drives MOST to FOLLOW any THREAT to their own PERCEIVED RESPECTABILITY!?who or WHAT are the SEEN/perceived AUTHORS of RESPECT!?have I become the DREADED spaghetti MONSTER!?hehe!!....just askn...
    You're going to turn my mind into noodles! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Button
    for a cup of noodles the world was sold into slavery!?for a cup of noodles the world was saved!?it's not a matter of noodles alone!?it's a mater of love or not!?the noodles are just the way of expression!?for those that depend on the noodles!?and for those that do not!?hehe!!...just askn...
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by lexx
    for a cup of noodles the world was sold into slavery!?for a cup of noodles the world was saved!?it's not a matter of noodles alone!?it's a mater of love or not!?the noodles are just the way of expression!?for those that depend on the noodles!?and for those that do not!?hehe!!...just askn...

Okay....

But I made a great sauce today with homeade meatballs and sweet italian sausage. I added a little bit of the sauce to the noodles before serving and they did not stick! I re-heated some and they were great!

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work... User Rank

the oil works... just put about a tablespoons of Olive Oil into the boiing water prior to adding the spaghetti. When the spaghetti is added, as it enters the water it takes on a thin film of the oil.
    I don't rinse. Just drain, WHat is the purpose of rinsing? Yeah, I know, because that is what you mama did... Ha!
    To make leftover spaghetti as good as when first made boil some water and add and stir the spaghetti into it for just a minute or so. Drain again and serve.

Okay....

But I made a great sauce today with homeade meatballs and sweet italian sausage. I added a little bit of the sauce to the noodles before serving and they did not stick! I re-heated some and they were great!

sounds greaaaaaaat!

drum your fingers when reading the LEXX... it helps to dissolve the haze... :D

I don't rinse my spaghetti - where were you guys raised? We put a little salt in the water while it's boiling and after it is drained, we put just enough of the sauce in the spaghetti and mix it together so that it barely coats the noodles (lubricates it so it doesn't stick). Then serve it with sauce on top. Unless you're in a restaurant and need the oil to keep it from sticking (cooking noodles ahead of time and just heating them as needed), putting oil on the noodles can really mess them up (causes the sauce to slide off) and if you've spent all day cooking a sauce you don't want that to happen.

Of course we usually use ziti or penne pasta instead of spaghetti. I've never seen anybody on my mothers side of the family (italian) do it anyother way (rinsing and then mixing a little sauce on the noodles) - of course I've never seen any of them fix spaghetti (ragu and hamburger meat) the way my husbands family and most of my friend's family do. I never even heard of that until I saw my husband's family do it.

maintain awareness, lest you slip and forget that some of these churls are heatherns! :eek:

Rusted is offline Gold Scams Member User Rank

Olive oil and salt and no rinse. It never sticks. Course I use olive oil in everything......so who needs Teflon?
    All advertising is lies, deceit, and misdirection.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusted
    Olive oil and salt and no rinse. It never sticks. Course I use olive oil in everything......so who needs Teflon?
    Olive Oil is good and it is unsaturated and not trans-fat. It is a very ancient food material from ancient times. The 'Exatr-Virgin' type that has the obvious green color is loaded with nutrients.
    As well, when having toast or english muffins or bagels and the like a good ;spread' substitute is Olive Oil rather than margarine or butter.
    Anyone notice the proflierate use of Soybean oil now, added to margarine, other 'spreads'? One can hardly find a loaf of bread without it being made with Soybean Oil. I've heard there is some bad news coming in regard to the prevalent use of Soybeans, oil as well as the Vegetarinan meat substitute items as well as many other products.
    Seems like the eventual intent may be to have the masses of the 'ordinary people' [US] totally consuming ALL Soy products, leaving the 'good stuff' to the upper crust individuals.
    Anyone been watching the price of Beef here lately? Climbing, climbing climbing. Beef is the best source of Protein that is quickly ingested into the system and also contains trace minerals, electrolytes and a gamut of viamins and elements that no other food has. Vegetarians are constantly striving to achieve desirable daily protein intake in what they are eating; meat-free, but seldom are able to achieve this goal.
    What's next? Soligen Greed perhaps! :eek:
    Last edited by coontie; 05-26-2007 at 02:12 AM.