+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tarot

Fizban "The Fabulous" Guest

Tarot

Is anyone else here interested in the Tarot? Any dabblers or even long-time students of the art?

I myself know very little about it, thou I am very curious.

has anyne study the tarot ?

what pack do you use?
    I got a Thoth tarot deck recently. I like it cause i think its quite trippy.

The reason I want to learn about the tarot is to gain a better understanding of arch-types (jung) .

Has anyone here heard of Michael Tsarion and his approach? He has done a great deal of work and has an online mystery school. He says that the real benefits and wisdom of Tarot are gained only when we study tarot along with astrology, numerology and Kabalism...that as seperate disciplines each of them only reveals a tiny picture.

The sun, moon and stars are within us, the archetypal symbology. And that references to planetary bodies, luminaries etc are references to the inner archetypal characteristics of each rather than the planetary body itself.

>Home Page: http://www.taroscopes.com/home.html

I found the Taroscopes video tour quite impressive and compelling http://www.taroscopes.com/webstream/...ourvideos.html

I found this talk on the tarot , its very interesting it covers the beginning on the origins of the Tarot. Topics discussed: The Four Suits, L'emuria, H'ebrew, Golden Dawn, Rider-Waite Tarot, Golden Dawn's Book T, MacGregor Mathers, Bubonic plague, Gothic Cathedrals, Ma'at Feather, L.A. Waddell, Ian Fleming, The Tarot connection to the regular playing card deck, Chess, Da Vinci, the Catholic Church, Alester Crowley and much more.

Michael Tsarion - The Tarot, Playing Cards & Eschatology
    March 15, 2007

http://conspiracycentral.info/index....e=post&id=1593

This is also cool,

http://boards.theforce.net/The_Star_...6/18594869/?41

Godeskian is offline I have taken all knowledge to be my province.

Re: Tarot

When I was a teenager I dabbled in tarot cards for a while, untill I realised they were as vague and indistinct as any horoscope or similar rubbish.
    Close your eyes, but keep your mind wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by Godeskian
    When I was a teenager I dabbled in tarot cards for a while, untill I realised they were as vague and indistinct as any horoscope or similar rubbish.

yup. bunch a crap

Nah, they're not rubbish, they're just not anything to do with ancient Atlantis, Egypt, or gypsies.

The first extant pack that we know of is the Visconti-Sforza - probably a wedding gift, with an extra suit to play games similar to bridge. Packed with symbolism of the Renaissance variety, people used to make up 'tarocchi appropriati' poetry as a pastime (so you'd better know what those cards meant). The trumps (triumphs) seem to have been taken from triumphal pageants, Petrarch's poetry, and a neoplatonic Christian view of the triumph of Jesus/the New Jerusalem over death. Courts morphed from the Islamic Malmuk cards into the Nine Worthies (yeah, that's poetry).

Fascinating stuff if you're into art + symbolism. Metaphysics proper didn't get added til Eteilla came along (though find a copy of Gebelin and Mellet's essay on the 'Egyptian origins of tarot' in Vol 8 of Monde Primitif to see where he got it from), and he was probably a charlatan - but interesting. Fast-forward to Oswald Wirth and things start getting really interesting, then Waite & the Golden Dawn started doing their thing. Ditto Crowley (who was also a GD'er).

Decent books - just about anything by Paul Foster Case, Paul Huson's Mystical Origins of the Tarot, Decker, Dummet, and Dupaulis' Wicked Pack of Cards, and for serious meditative stuff, Meditations on the Tarot, though it's from a mystical Christian perspective. But then, tarot always was. And pick up a couple of good symbol dictionaries while you're at it (Cirlot's, Penguin, some of Panofsky's work) cos you'll need them. As well as Brian William's book on the Minchiate.

Probably Waite's Pictorial Key as well, ponderous as he was. Most taroists have a profound misunderstanding of kabbala, so go to the source material for that. Though Crowley gets pretty twisty and baroque.

But I'm pro-tarot for all the wrong reasons. Almost nobody knows how to read symbolism anymore. Tarot can teach you that, if you actually want to know, even the Golden Dawn kept that much, as did Uncle Aleister, both the Waite and Crowley packs are loaded with it. Once upon a time, such things mattered. But intuitive fortunetelling, it ain't.

Fizban "The Fabulous" Guest

Nah, they're not rubbish, they're just not anything to do with ancient Atlantis, Egypt, or gypsies.
    even Crowley himself said the Tarots orgins are lost, meaning your statement hold about as much weight as what ever I want to say.

Also Crowley did speculate as did many others that the Tarots orgiins where of Atlantis, Egypt,

I have a beautiful deck called The William Blake Tarot by Ed Buryn that I purchased simply because of the artwork. I am fascinated by William Blake though I do not pretend to understand him. Blake said: "I must create a System, or be enslav'd by another Mans. I will not Reason and Compare, my business is to create."

I purchased the deck directly from Ed Buryn and spoke to him on the phone. When the deck arrived it came with 2 over-sized Blake Tarot cards that Buryn that selected personally for me which were meaningful. The set also included a small book about understanding tarot. Buryn, the deck's designer and author is (or was) co-director of TAROT (Tools and Rites of Transformation) a Tarot training center together with his wife, the eminent tarot expert Mary K. Greer.

I haven't done anything with it other than look at it now and then.

Perhaps you in your own eminent wisdom can answer a questionf or me. I just did a guided meditation in which the person leading the meditation asked us to visualize ourselves holding something, an object or symbol, that would show us what is blocking us spiritually. I saw a cloudy crystal ball with a pentagram inside of it. Then we were instructed to see a symbol of what our strength was and I kind of "heard" the word "steadfastness" and saw a tall wooden staff in my right hand... like a think of a sheppard using with the crook at the end. Could you interpret?

Quote Originally Posted by StormyRay
    I have a beautiful deck called The William Blake Tarot by Ed Buryn that I purchased simply because of the artwork. I haven't done anything with it other than look at it now and then.
    What else is there to do with it?
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban "The Fabulous"
    Is anyone else here interested in the Tarot? Any dabblers or even long-time students of the art?

I myself know very little about it, thou I am very curious.

has anyne study the tarot ?

what pack do you use?
    I got a Thoth tarot deck recently. I like it cause i think its quite trippy.

The reason I want to learn about the tarot is to gain a better understanding of arch-types (jung) .

Has anyone here heard of Michael Tsarion and his approach? He has done a great deal of work and has an online mystery school. He says that the real benefits and wisdom of Tarot are gained only when we study tarot along with astrology, numerology and Kabalism...that as seperate disciplines each of them only reveals a tiny picture.

The sun, moon and stars are within us, the archetypal symbology. And that references to planetary bodies, luminaries etc are references to the inner archetypal characteristics of each rather than the planetary body itself.

>Home Page: http://www.taroscopes.com/home.html

I found the Taroscopes video tour quite impressive and compelling http://www.taroscopes.com/webstream/...ourvideos.html

I found this talk on the tarot , its very interesting it covers the beginning on the origins of the Tarot. Topics discussed: The Four Suits, L'emuria, H'ebrew, Golden Dawn, Rider-Waite Tarot, Golden Dawn's Book T, MacGregor Mathers, Bubonic plague, Gothic Cathedrals, Ma'at Feather, L.A. Waddell, Ian Fleming, The Tarot connection to the regular playing card deck, Chess, Da Vinci, the Catholic Church, Alester Crowley and much more.

Michael Tsarion - The Tarot, Playing Cards & Eschatology
    March 15, 2007

http://conspiracycentral.info/index....e=post&id=1593

This is also cool,

http://boards.theforce.net/The_Star_...6/18594869/?41

I don't use Tarot cards. But I have Medicine Cards and Sacred Path Cards, they are not used in the same context that Tarot cards are used. Occassionally I will do a spread. But not often.

Lady Mod

Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    What else is there to do with it?
    Gin Rummy??

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban "The Fabulous"
    even Crowley himself said the Tarots orgins are lost, meaning your statement hold about as much weight as what ever I want to say.

Also Crowley did speculate as did many others that the Tarots orgiins where of Atlantis, Egypt,
    Crowley said that to throw people off track. If you're going to use the Atbash Cipher (which is what Gebelin and Mellet used to put the Hebrew letter assignment to the major arcana) and claim you got it from an uber-being called Aiwass, it's a good idea to make the waters as muddy as possible. Check out Jess Karlin's essay on this particular question at http://jkthoth.blogspot.com/

Crowley wasn't stupid, though, and the BoT is a good read - and for all his futzing about on Aiwass and where tarot came from, do note that he urges people to study logic, mathematics, history, rhetoric, all those good things and more. Though I don't think he encouraged people to follow Thelema, at least on his 'clearer' days. The poor man would probably be rolling in his grave over the idiocy of some of his students of late.

The Blake is a beautiful deck. Don't have a copy anymore, sadly, but I may pick one up when the budget allows. Not sure it's tarot, but it's gorgeous. For now, I'm contenting myself with a few lucky finds - the Vacchetta, the Mantegna, and the Aubrey Beardsley are lovely to gaze upon.

Quote Originally Posted by StormyRay
    Gin Rummy??
    Nope.
    Tarok and Tarocchi. Still quite popular where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by Godeskian
    try the ouiga board!?much more instant feedback!?dont run away and hide now!?hehe!!...just askn....
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by lexx
    try the ouiga board!?much more instant feedback!?dont run away and hide now!?hehe!!...just askn....
    Ask it where it comes from. Then decide if you really care to use it. Better yet, burn it.

Lady Mod

I agree, burn the ouiga board! Not good stuff.

one view point

to me, Tarot,Horoscopes,Ouija,etc is a "poor man's" psycho therapy.. think about it. you do the same as you do with psychotherapy, only it is a do it yourself project with the tarot crads, horoscopes or ouija board. it is more what your subconscious is up to than anything else. it is pleasing and is more of telling you what you want to hear. it is soothing but not to be taken too seriously

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    Ask it where it comes from. Then decide if you really care to use it. Better yet, burn it.

Lady Mod
    Huh? How come?

The first undisputed use of the talking boards came with the Spiritualism movement in The United States in the mid-19th century. Methods of divination at that time used various ways to spell out messages, including swinging a pendulum over a plate that had letters around the edge or using an entire table to indicate letters drawn on the floor. Often used was a small wooden tablet supported on casters. This tablet, called a planchette, was affixed with a pencil that would write out messages in a fashion similar to automatic writing. These methods may predate modern Spiritualism.

During the late 1800s, planchettes were widely sold as a novelty. The businessmen Elijah Bond and Charles Kennard had the idea to patent a planchette sold with a board on which the alphabet was printed. The patentees filed on May 28, 1890 for patent protection and thus had invented the first Ouija board. Issue date on the patent was February 10, 1891. They received U.S. Patent 446,054 . Bond was an attorney and was an inventor of other objects in addition to this device. An employee of Kennard, William Fuld took over the talking board production and in 1901, he started production of his own boards under the name "Ouija" * [2]. The Fuld name would become synonymous with the Ouija board, as Fuld reinvented its history, claiming that he himself had invented it. Countless talking boards from Fuld's competitors flooded the market and all these boards enjoyed a heyday from the 1920s through the 1960s. Fuld sued many companies over the "Ouija" name and concept right up until his death in 1927. In 1966, Fuld's estate sold the entire business to Parker Brothers, who continues to hold all trademarks and patents. About 10 brands of talking boards are sold today under various names [3]