+ Reply to Thread

A new approach to unethical....

I'm not sure I would classify this as a scam, but it is the most unethical thing I've ever personally seen.
    I have young children. Last school year, my son needed more "quiet time" to study his reading. I decided the best thing to do was to take him to a local academic tutor a couple of times a week. He got the quiet time and a little help. I got Daddy/daughter time with his little sister. She was the reason he needed quiet time to do his assigned reading in the first place. My wife was gone nights at the time and I was living life much like a single father.
    The tutor cost less than a sitter, and was more useful, hence my decision to use a tutor.

Here's the unethical part: The owner of the tutoring service is the most uptight, crazy human being ever put on this earth. She adds a $10.00 surcharge monthly to bills that she sends home to parents. At the time he was going, I just paid it for the sake of peace and quiet, but now I'm pissed off and offended. $10.00 a month for the "privilege" of being billed???!!!

You heard that right. This woman is billing her customers $10.00 a month for ................ I don't know what.

I paid all my bills faithfully...the bill was never over $60.00 or so a month.
    Here's the kicker. For whatever reason, the final bill was $1.00 higher and I failed to pay that one dollar--I just wrote a check for what I was used to paying and sent it in. The next month, I got a bill for $11.00. I paid that one dollar face to face to their bookkeeper. She asked about the other ten dollars. I told her I wasn't going to pay it because I had never signed anything regarding the "bill home" fee.
    Here it is, eight months later and I am still getting blank bills that are asking me for that final ten dollars plus another ten dollars every time they bill me...$90.00 altogether.

I hope I never actually NEED a tutor, because her tutors are actually pretty good, but I am about to burn this bridge.

Opinions?

Re: A new approach to unethical....

Call them and talk to them....the bills are probably auto-generated out of quick books or something?

With that said - what is your other option other than the $10 fee? Can you just put it on a credit card or something? Many utilities charge fees to pay by phone or at currency exchange... Maybe this is something like that - but there should be a way to pay for free...

Oh and I forgot - what does your contract say?

Re: A new approach to unethical....

There is no contract.