Poll: In relation to this I would....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Testing - Would You Support This?

When a baby is born, a midwife visits to monitor the general physical health of the baby.

When a child goes to primary school, they are given routine physical medicals.

When the child becomes an adult, he might be required to go for a physcial for a job interview, or from his gp, on occasion.

All of this is right, and as it should be.

For by doing this, we are able to idnetify problems early, and take the appropriate treatment.

I would like to see the same system deployed with mental health.

I suggest that from the age of 5, a person should undergo regular psychological testing, all the way through to adulthood.

Why fear such a notion?

To fear is to live in the Dark Ages.

Why be so thorough over physical well being, and neglect mental health?

Example.

Criminal psychologists have shown that dangerous psychopaths have exhibited similar traits, even as young as 5.

An example is an obsession with fire raising and animal cruelty.

They have been able to gather this data, through extensive research and interviewing some infamous killers.

Yet what use is that information, unless we do something with it?

Perhaps if we deployed my system, many victims of serial killers and child rapits would have been spared? Perhaps those youngsters that were recently gunned down in the US, would have been spared, had the person who shot them had his obvious illness identified sooner, or perhaps that young girl that has dissapeared in Portugal would still be with her parents, if the person that had taken her, had been identified as exhibiting unusual traits, sooner?

Or on a less dramatic level, testing could detect if a child was supressing signs of sexual abuse, or if an adult was showing early signs of depression.

Anyone, I will put it to the vote, as part of a kinda manifesto, would you support a party who included this as part of their manifesto?

Re: Testing - Would You Support This?

Yet what use is that information, unless we do something with it?
    What do suggest we do? (You didn't really address that part.)

Institutionalization?

Mandatory therapy? If so, which type? (psychodynamic, behavioral, cognitive, cognitive/behavioral, etc...) Have studies shown a meaningful correlation between the use of therapy and a decrease in violent crime?
    Last edited by yossarian; 05-14-2007 at 07:13 AM.

Not only no but hell no. One of the reasons I live in the US is because of our concept of individual liberty. This would start us down a very slipery slope and with out probable cause and due process the idea is absurd. Seems the last time I saw something like this actually practiced a former WWI corporal was ruling germany.
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

I am just taking the view that while it is seen as normal to have your physical health checked, when you go to the doctor, that it is highly unusual to have your mental health checked in the same way.

Why not make it part of your overall medical check up?

And I am not confining this to one nation, as such, more an idea that could be used as a model in any nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Well Fine Then
    I am just taking the view that while it is seen as normal to have your physical health checked, when you go to the doctor, that it is highly unusual to have your mental health checked in the same way.

Why not make it part of your overall medical check up?

And I am not confining this to one nation, as such, more an idea that could be used as a model in any nation.
    Well I chose the nation I live in largely based on it's leagal model. Anybody can chose to undergo mental health testing anytime they wish in the US. Anybody can chose to undergo medical health testing anytime the wish to as well. I did not realize that was the concept you were proposing. It sure did not read that way to me. What I read and voted against was the idea of laws compelling someone to undergo any medical testing at all. I've no problem testing an intire group of people when it envolves public safety such as pilots and truck drivers. Nor do I have a problem with private businesses testing during prehiring or regularly. But anything as fascist as what I thought that I read in the original post on this thread I am dead set against.

What the hell is this?

BTW. In regards to the statement "To fear is to live in the dark ages." To inact such insane legislation would be a rebirth of the dark ages.

Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    Well I chose the nation I live in largely based on it's leagal model. Anybody can chose to undergo mental health testing anytime they wish in the US. Anybody can chose to undergo medical health testing anytime the wish to as well. I did not realize that was the concept you were proposing. It sure did not read that way to me. What I read and voted against was the idea of laws compelling someone to undergo any medical testing at all. I've no problem testing an intire group of people when it envolves public safety such as pilots and truck drivers. Nor do I have a problem with private businesses testing during prehiring or regularly. But anything as fascist as what I thought that I read in the original post on this thread I am dead set against.
    Not compulsory testing as such, Bogie, more encouraged, in the way that you might take one of your kids to have their teeth checked every six months, just to ensure that there are no oral or dental problems.

Perhaps if that were done, abnormalities in children would show up sooner, and could be treated before the child became a danger to society in later life, if you see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald
    What the hell is this?
    What don't you get, and I will try to explain.

Define mental health? By what criteria do we gauge mental health?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM
    Define mental health? By what criteria do we gauge mental health?
    Many levels.

Early signs of schizophrenia, bi polar, sexual psychopathy, and so on.

Nice set of 'labels'. And in thirty years what do we do when we discover we have mis-labeled and mis-treated a whole generation?

Standards of gauging mental illness constantly change. What was fact thirty years ago is no longer valid practice now. For example Manic-Depression is now Bi-Polar Disorder and the treatments have changed as well. Comparing the mental health field/practices to the physical health field/practices is the same as comparing apples to oranges...

Interesting idea, but IMO not practical. The risks appear to outweigh any social benefit.

Moving forward... Mental Illness can also be effectively argued as a social construction. "This person does not support our society... therefore they must be insane and need treatment."

Nice set of 'labels'. And in thirty years what do we do when we discover we have mis-labeled and mis-treated a whole generation?

Standards of gauging mental illness constantly change. What was fact thirty years ago is no longer valid practice now. For example Manic-Depression is now Bi-Polar Disorder and the treatments have changed as well. Comparing the mental health field/practices to the physical health field/practices is the same as comparing apples to oranges...

Interesting idea, but IMO not practical. The risks appear to outweigh any social benefit.

Moving forward... Mental Illness can also be effectively argued as a social construction. "This person does not support our society... therefore they must be insane and need treatment."
    Good points. Especially the last. Society has described what is and is not mental illness. Gallileo was considered mentaly ill in his time for suggesting that the earth was not the center of the solar system. Columbus for daring to test whether or not the earth was flat. The inquisition sought to "enlighten" those who christians deemed to be heretic. This is just another proposal along similar lines.

Paul, these were not labels, just examples, in answer to your question.

I know full well what manic depression/bi polarity is, since I have it myself, and I can assure you that the terminology may have changed but the treatments have not changed that much, the primary one being Lithium.

* And, by the way, I absolutely wish that in my younger days, this had been diagnosed sooner, as I used to wonder why I could be so elated one moment, and close to suicide the next*

The other examples that you gave, social construction, no, that is something I would oppose totally, my idea is meant to help people, not hurt them.
    Last edited by Yeah Well Fine Then; 05-14-2007 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Well Fine Then
    Not compulsory testing as such, Bogie, more encouraged, in the way that you might take one of your kids to have their teeth checked every six months, just to ensure that there are no oral or dental problems.

Perhaps if that were done, abnormalities in children would show up sooner, and could be treated before the child became a danger to society in later life, if you see what I mean.
    OK. If compulsory is not in the equation I have no problem with encouraging healthy practices. If you are suggesting that the public should be made aware of the possibility of having mental testing along with their anual physical then fine. Very few people as I see it even take the steps to take anual physicals and if you think an educational program to bring awareness to the situation fine. I would want to see some cost estimates before I could support such a program as apposed to others I might find more important to spend my tax dollars on. But I'd take a look at a program to educate, but not to legislate.

Testing kids at the age of 5 to see if they're nuts? They're all nuts at that age.