+ Reply to Thread

Greensburg Victim Rips Kansas Gov. For Comments

Resident: Claim Of Slow Response An Absurd 'Political Slam'

CBS) GREENSBURG, Kan. While Democratic Gov. Kathleen Sebelius and the Bush administration jaw back-and-forth over the relief efforts for Greensburg, Kan., the town devastated by Friday night's F-5 tornado, town residents have chimed in and say they couldn't be any happier with the response from the government and other rescue units.

"The poor response thing is just political BS," Greensburg resident Mike Swigart, 47, who lost his house and four vehicles from the storm, told wcbstv.com in an exclusive interview. "I saw her on television and I'm disappointed in that because she doesn't know what she's talking about."

On Monday, Sebelius criticized the government's response for relief.

"I don't think there is any question if you are missing trucks, Humvees and helicopters that the response is going to be slower. The real victims here will be the residents of Greensburg, because the recovery will be at a slower pace."

Sebelius said that with other states facing similar limitations, "stuff that we would have borrowed is gone."

Swigart's voice was soft and raspy on Wednesday, likely from the dust and mold that filled the rubble and remains of what was once his house of more than a decade. He recalled the intensity of the storm and the fear that took over his family as he, his wife, and his two sons, ages 10 and 13, huddled tightly inside a tiny five-by-five bathroom in his basement on Friday night.

"I thought we were goners. I really thought we were going to be gone," he said. "I was just totally surprised by the intensity of it especially, and I really thought we were done for. I just kept holding onto everybody and as it got louder, we prayed harder and louder and I gotta say I think it helped."

After the storm dissipated, Swigart and his family came up to find just a small portion of the structure of their house remaining. Their cars were destroyed. People were crawling from a semi-truck that rolled onto his lawn. But Swigart said there was an almost immediate response from other towns, people who had lined up to try and provide rescue efforts. He said Sebelius' comment about the lack of Humvees was unfounded.

"You may have seen her on television when she said that, and she talked about Hummers, that we needed Hummers. There were Hummers sitting in front of my house every day. The National Guard was there," he said. "I saw people from all over who came right away to help and nobody sent them, they just came because they knew it was going to be big. The response was excellent, the rescue efforts were all night long, and I even made a comment to my wife later that night when we came back into our basement that I can't imagine anyone saying we had a poor response to this tragedy, that it was so quick and it was amazing."

Swigart says the general feeling around the town is that residents were overwhelmed by the immediate response, and that the governor's fuss was for her own good. White House press secretary Tony Snow responded to Sebelius by saying that there was no request by Kansas officials for extra equipment, and that if there is anyone to blame, it's her.

"I was told she wanted to run as vice president on the Democratic ticket, and honestly, I wouldn't vote for her if they paid me because of that one thing she said on television right there. It was a political slam is all it was," he said. "It was a political statement and as far as the military thing overseas, I support what they're doing over there, and the military that came here is doing a great job too."

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_129130446.html

Re: Greensburg Victim Rips Kansas Gov. For Comments

It was so blantantly obvious as to what she was doing....it had so much baggage
    to it. it was impossible to hide it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim17
    Resident: Claim Of Slow Response An Absurd 'Political Slam'

CBS) GREENSBURG, Kan. While Democratic Gov. Kathleen Sebelius and the Bush administration jaw back-and-forth over the relief efforts for Greensburg, Kan., the town devastated by Friday night's F-5 tornado, town residents have chimed in and say they couldn't be any happier with the response from the government and other rescue units.

"The poor response thing is just political BS," Greensburg resident Mike Swigart, 47, who lost his house and four vehicles from the storm, told wcbstv.com in an exclusive interview. "I saw her on television and I'm disappointed in that because she doesn't know what she's talking about."

On Monday, Sebelius criticized the government's response for relief.

"I don't think there is any question if you are missing trucks, Humvees and helicopters that the response is going to be slower. The real victims here will be the residents of Greensburg, because the recovery will be at a slower pace."

Sebelius said that with other states facing similar limitations, "stuff that we would have borrowed is gone."

Swigart's voice was soft and raspy on Wednesday, likely from the dust and mold that filled the rubble and remains of what was once his house of more than a decade. He recalled the intensity of the storm and the fear that took over his family as he, his wife, and his two sons, ages 10 and 13, huddled tightly inside a tiny five-by-five bathroom in his basement on Friday night.

"I thought we were goners. I really thought we were going to be gone," he said. "I was just totally surprised by the intensity of it especially, and I really thought we were done for. I just kept holding onto everybody and as it got louder, we prayed harder and louder and I gotta say I think it helped."

After the storm dissipated, Swigart and his family came up to find just a small portion of the structure of their house remaining. Their cars were destroyed. People were crawling from a semi-truck that rolled onto his lawn. But Swigart said there was an almost immediate response from other towns, people who had lined up to try and provide rescue efforts. He said Sebelius' comment about the lack of Humvees was unfounded.

"You may have seen her on television when she said that, and she talked about Hummers, that we needed Hummers. There were Hummers sitting in front of my house every day. The National Guard was there," he said. "I saw people from all over who came right away to help and nobody sent them, they just came because they knew it was going to be big. The response was excellent, the rescue efforts were all night long, and I even made a comment to my wife later that night when we came back into our basement that I can't imagine anyone saying we had a poor response to this tragedy, that it was so quick and it was amazing."

Swigart says the general feeling around the town is that residents were overwhelmed by the immediate response, and that the governor's fuss was for her own good. White House press secretary Tony Snow responded to Sebelius by saying that there was no request by Kansas officials for extra equipment, and that if there is anyone to blame, it's her.

"I was told she wanted to run as vice president on the Democratic ticket, and honestly, I wouldn't vote for her if they paid me because of that one thing she said on television right there. It was a political slam is all it was," he said. "It was a political statement and as far as the military thing overseas, I support what they're doing over there, and the military that came here is doing a great job too."

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_129130446.html

I say "fvck em". Kansas is a "Reds" State. That means that a plurality of them voted for the Bush Crime Gang twice. Therefore, they don't deserve any relief. They are about as entitled to assistance from the American Taxpayers as the Confederate Insurgents were during the Civil War. What a number of them really deserve is to be shipped off to Iraq-Nam or propped up against the nearest wall and shot for treason. Their problems are nothing more or less than divine justice. Nature's payback can be a real b!tch.
    Last edited by dchristie; 05-12-2007 at 06:46 PM.

Poor Crusty

He can't wait until the day his jihad terror cell goes operational
    Originally posted by Americanadian
    Palin: Omit the "i" and you're left with "Pain".

Here is what was said by CNN's Senior Pentagon Correspondent Jamie McIntyre, in a story they did on the governor saying they didn't have enough equipment and blaming "the Iraq war" for the shortage:

"But, as bad as it is, the Army insists the devastation in Kansas isn't overly straining the Guard's admittedly limited resources. There are still thousands of troops and hundreds of vehicles available. In fact, of the state's more than 7,600 Guard troops, only around 10 percent are deployed in Iraq or Afghanistan. And Kansas has not asked for any reinforcements or extra equipment from neighboring states.... The Army says it has enough equipment for both a simulated drill and the real-life disaster, and argues, if the governor of Kansas has an urgent need for more bulldozers, backhoes, or Black Hawk helicopters, she only has to ask."

We need some sort of super bold, to go along with our bold and italics... Maybe we could start using more colors!

Increase the font size! Maybe embed a video of yourself having an aneurysm as you pound the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by ianmatthews
    We need some sort of super bold, to go along with our bold and italics... Maybe we could start using more colors!

Increase the font size! Maybe embed a video of yourself having an aneurysm as you pound the keyboard.
    Those are some fine suggestions ian, but what do you think about the subject of this thread?

Those are some fine suggestions ian, but what do you think about the subject of this thread?

Can't I just crack wise? Do I have to opine vomit on every thread now?

Okay, what are you claiming that she specifically said, in quotes, that isn't true?

Quote Originally Posted by ianmatthews
    Okay, what are you claiming that she specifically said, in quotes, that isn't true?
    These articles are about what people are saying, including many resident of the town itself, which is that the Governor of Kansas is politicizing this tragedy. She got in front of the cameras and said they didn't have the equipment necessary to respond properly to the devastation, and blamed it on the Iraq war. Many also question her assessment. Here are a few of the points being made:

1) Many of the residents of the town disagree with her assessment, saying that the response was overwhelming.

2) There are videos of the traffic jam created by all the various workers and crews trying to get into the town immediately after the devastation.

3) The Governor did not request any extra equipment from any other state.

4) The Governor did not request any extra equipment from the Army before or after the tornado, and the army said "all she had to do was ask."

5) Tony Snow said that there was no request by Kansas officials for extra equipment.

6) A Kansas National Guard general said there was not only enough equipment for the town, but they had enough left over to continue training exercises while the rescue and clean-up was going on.

7) Only 10% of the National Guard of Kansas are deployed in Iraq.

The list goes on and on ian.

Now do you understand what this thread is about?

On MSNBC, Hadlock reported Snow's tornado-relief claim but not his correction of it

During the 9 a.m. ET hour of the May 9 edition of MSNBC Live, NBC News correspondent Charles Hadlock reported that following a severe tornado that hit Greensburg, Kansas, on May 4, "Governor Kathleen Sebelius of Kansas had said that [because of National Guard deployments to Iraq] there is a lack of manpower and equipment to deal with emergency disasters in her own state." He added: "The White House has said the state has not asked for any more equipment other than FM communication radios. If they need more equipment, we'll send it." But Hadlock's report was based solely on comments White House press secretary Tony Snow made on the morning of May 8. Hadlock did not report Snow's acknowledgement during the White House press briefing later that day that Sebelius had actually asked for much more than just "FM communication radios."

From the May 8 White House press briefing:

Q This morning you said the only thing the Kansas Governor requested was FM radios. Has she, in fact, requested more now?

SNOW: I believe so. Let me take a quick look. I think there are a couple of other items that have been requested and supplied. Let's see, the state has requested a mobile command center, an urban search and rescue task force, a mobile office building, 40 two-way radios, and coordination calls between Kansas, Texas and Oklahoma, to determine if they need extra Black Hawks; Kansas has six, Texas and Oklahoma have offered to make available another five to six if necessary. So those are the things that the state has requested, that FEMA has provided.

A May 8 Associated Press article explained the change in Snow's position over the course of the day:

White House press secretary Tony Snow fought back aggressively [against complaints by Sebelius].

In an approach reminiscent of the blame game played by the White House with another Democratic governor, Kathleen Blanco of Louisiana, after the federal government's botched response to Hurricane Katrina, Snow at first said the fault for any slow response would be Sebelius'. He said she should have followed procedure by finding gaps and then asking the federal government to fill them -- but didn't.

"If you don't request it, you're not going to get it," he told reporters Tuesday morning.

Snow said no one had asked for heavy equipment. "As far as we know, the only thing the governor has requested are FM radios," the spokesman said.

Well, not exactly.

At Snow's second, midday briefing with reporters, he offered that it turned out that the state had requested several items that the federal government supplied -- those radios, and also a mobile command center and a mobile office building, an urban search and rescue team and coordination on extra Blackhawk helicopters.

Snow recounted a telephone conversation on Tuesday between Sebelius and Bush's White House-based homeland security adviser, Fran Townsend, in which the governor said she was pleased with the federal performance on the tornado and had everything she needed.

According to MSNBC.com's First Read, Sebelius' office issued a statement on the evening of May 8:

"Let me be clear: With the equipment we have, the men and women of the Kansas National Guard have the initial response to the Greensburg tornado under control. I have said for nearly two years, and will continue to say, that we have a looming crisis on our hands when it comes to National Guard equipment in Iraq and our needs here at home. The equipment shortage will likely slow long-term efforts to recover and rebuild in Greensburg. We can only hope that we not have another significant natural disaster in Kansas. That would put our Guard, and the people of Kansas, in a real bind."

"I appreciate the President's help, quick response and concern in dealing with the tornado damage in Greensburg. But I will not back down on the issue of replacing our National Guard equipment throughout the country. As Governor and a commander-in-chief, I have a solemn responsibility to protect the people of my state and provide for the men and women of the Kansas Guard."

Moreover, as the weblog Think Progress noted, Sebelius highlighted the need for additional National Guard funding and equipment on several occasions:

* On January 21, 2006, The Kansas City Star reported: "In a Dec. 30 [2005] letter to [then-]Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, Sebelius urged the return of Kansas National Guard equipment shipped to Iraq and Afghanistan. 'The Guard was critical to responding to recent blizzards and floods in Kansas, yet its ability to respond to similar situations is being diminished by a lack of equipment,' she wrote. She said Rumsfeld had not responded."

* On June 29, 2006, The Topeka Capital-Journal reported that Sebelius provided Army Secretary Francis J. Harvey with a list of equipment the state of Kansas lost to the Iraq war, noting, "Sebelius and other governors have said the loss of equipment leaves states vulnerable in emergencies or natural disasters."

* On September 5, 2006, the AP reported "Kansas' congressional delegation, Sebelius and governors from around the country have been lobbying the Pentagon for increased funding to replace National Guard equipment that has been left in Iraq or damaged beyond repair after repeated use in war."

* On February 27, 2007, Sebelius' office issued a press release, stating: "The reliance on National Guard troops and equipment in Iraq is leaving states vulnerable. ... Sebelius expressed strong concern that sending the National Guard on repeated tours through Iraq compromises states' ability to respond to natural disasters, terrorist acts, and other threats to public safety."

From the 9 a.m. ET hour of the May 9 edition of MSNBC Live:

AMY ROBACH (host): President Bush will see what little is left of Greensburg, Kansas, when he visits there later this morning. While he's there, he's expected to meet with survivors of the massive tornado that devastated obviously this small town and killed 11 people.

NBC's Charles Hadlock is on the ground in Greensburg. He joins us live. So Charles, what are we expecting from the president today?

HADLOCK: Good morning, Amy. The president is expected to arrive here at about 10:30 local time. He will meet with the governor of Kansas, also his FEMA director, David Paulison, along with local authorities, here, who have been on the ground here since the tornado hit late Friday night. The city administrator here says that the federal government has sent to this town everything that they have asked for.

The president will meet with the administrators of the city and he will also tour this town to see the devastation that this tornado has caused this town. You know, this is the most powerful tornado to strike the United States during the Bush administration. The most powerful storm on record was back in Moore City, Oklahoma, back in 1999, eight years ago this week. So, this is the most powerful to storm to hit the United States during the Bush administration. The president is here to see the devastation first-hand, Amy.

ROBACH: And Charles, you just mentioned that we are hearing from officials there that the Feds have sent everything that they have asked for, yet, there was still a lot of controversy about whether or not there was enough equipment and manpower there to deal with the aftermath of this storm because so much had been deployed over to Iraq. What are you seeing? What are you hearing?

HADLOCK: Well, the Governor Kathleen Sebelius of Kansas had said that there is a lack of manpower and equipment to deal with emergency disasters in her own state. The White House has said the state has not asked for any more equipment other than FM communication radios. If they need more equipment, we'll send it. That has been the White House's response.

And the local response here has said -- has been that we've received all the equipment we need. Now, there is a need for some heavy equipment to move some of this debris out of the way of utility corridors to get the utilities up and running. That's needed before any of the FEMA trailers can come in and the National Guard is here to do that.

ROBACH: All right, Charles Hadlock. We appreciate it.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200705100001?f=h_topic

Quote Originally Posted by franKg
    Poor Crusty

He can't wait until the day his jihad terror cell goes operational
    Just give us the word, Frankie. What are you waiting for?

These articles are about what people are saying, including many resident of the town itself, which is that the Governor of Kansas is politicizing this tragedy. She got in front of the cameras and said they didn't have the equipment necessary to respond properly to the devastation, and blamed it on the Iraq war. Many also question her assessment. Here are a few of the points being made:

1) Many of the residents of the town disagree with her assessment, saying that the response was overwhelming.

2) There are videos of the traffic jam created by all the various workers and crews trying to get into the town immediately after the devastation.

3) The Governor did not request any extra equipment from any other state.

4) The Governor did not request any extra equipment from the Army before or after the tornado, and the army said "all she had to do was ask."

5) Tony Snow said that there was no request by Kansas officials for extra equipment.

6) A Kansas National Guard general said there was not only enough equipment for the town, but they had enough left over to continue training exercises while the rescue and clean-up was going on.

7) Only 10% of the National Guard of Kansas are deployed in Iraq.

The list goes on and on ian.

Now do you understand what this thread is about?

I understood the issue before.

Can you simply give me her quotes that you take issue with?