+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 28

  1. #1
    sojustask's Avatar
    sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,866

    Bush welcomes the Queen with a gaffe

    I hope our next president manages NOT to embarrass himself or the American people quite so predictably as this one has.

    *************************************************

    Bush welcomes the Queen with a gaffe

    By Tom Leonard in Washington


    President George W Bush welcomed the Queen to Washington with a time-honoured tradition - one of his famous gaffes.

    With the Queen standing at his side on the White House lawn and the world’s media hanging on his words, it was probably not the best moment for Mr Bush to slip up.

    But with impressive comic timing, the American President recovered from almost suggesting that his guest was around in the 18th century and ended up ensuring that his 7,000 strong audience laughed with him, rather than at him.

    The United States was a nation she “had come to know very well”, he said. “After all, you’ve dined with 10 US presidents. You helped our nation celebrate its bicentennial in 17 - 1976.”

    As many in the crowd burst out laughing, Mr Bush turned and looked sheepishly at the Queen.

    Peering at him from beneath her hat, she did not appear to share the general merriment.

    Turning back, Mr Bush prompted the Queen to laugh as he said with a smile: “She gave me a look that only a mother could give a child.”

    The Queen and Mr Bush later celebrated the ties between Britain and America in the grandest dinner of his tenure at the White House.

    Responding to a toast from Mr Bush who hailed the “common values” of the historic allies, the Queen referred to the challenges posed by Iraq and Afghanistan, along with climate change and poverty eradication.

    In a toast to Mr Bush at the white-tie state dinner on Monday evening, the Queen said: “Ours is a partnership always to be reckoned with in the defence of freedom and the spread of prosperity.”

    Both the United States and Britain had “suffered grievously at the hands of international terrorism”, she said. But she stressed that by showing a united front with their friends in Europe and beyond, the old allies would prevail.

    “Disagree from time to time we may, but united we must always remain,” she added.

    Mr Bush paid tribute to the Queen’s commitment to the transatlantic alliance during her long reign. “We’re confident that the Anglo-American friendship will endure for centuries to come,” he said. “Our alliance is rooted in the beliefs that we share. Together we are supporting young democracies in Iraq and Afghanistan.”

    For the ceremonial climax of the Queen’s six-day state visit, the White House laid on its best china and crystal tableware for the evening banquet - the first such event of the six-year Bush presidency.

    The Queen wore a white ball gown with a blue sash, and a diamond tiara that dazzled in the glare of photographers’ flashes.

    The First Lady, Laura Bush, wore a turquoise Oscar de la Renta gown.

    The president is known for his dislike of lavish events. Mrs Bush admitted on ABC television yesterday that she and Condoleezza Rice, the secretary of state, “did sort of have to convince him a little bit” to host the dinner.

    The 134 guests seated at 13 damask-clothed tables set with gold-trimmed china, dined to music from the violin virtuoso Itzhak Perlman and the US Army Chorus.

    The event was overseen by Mrs Bush, who pointed out to ABC television that she and her husband had been at a White House dinner for the Queen, hosted by his father in 1991.

    She omitted to mention that on that occasion, her husband treated the Queen to another memorable gaffe.

    Admitting to her that he was the black sheep of his family, he asked the Queen: “Who’s yours?” His mother, Barbara Bush, stepped in quickly and said: “Don’t answer that.”

    Mr and Mrs Bush were waiting on the driveway above the White House’s lawn when the Queen and Prince Philip’s limousine arrived.

    The couples briefly shook hands before the formal welcome of trumpet fanfares, a drum and pipe band in 18th century uniform and a 21-gun salute.

    Later the Queen attended a garden party for 700 guests at the British Embassy before returning to the White House for the white-tie dinner.

    Today the Queen is due to tour mission control at Nasa’s Goddard Space Flight Centre in Maryland before meeting sick children at a medical centre and visiting the National WWII Memorial in the capital.

    She will then host a dinner for Mr and Mrs Bush at the residence of Sir David Manning, the British Ambassador, before flying home tonight.



    .

  2. #2
    sojustask's Avatar
    sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,866

    Re: Bush welcomes the Queen with a gaffe

    Bombs kill 8 Americans in Diyala and Baghdad
    At least 95 Iraqis are killed or found dead, including 30 in an attack on a market.
    By ROBERT H. REID
    The Associated Press
    May 7, 2007

    BAGHDAD | Roadside bombs killed eight American soldiers in separate attacks Sunday in Diyala province and Baghdad. In a part of the Iraqi capital where sectarian tensions are on the rise, a car bomb claimed 30 more lives in a wholesale food market.

    In all, at least 95 Iraqis were killed or found dead nationwide Sunday, police reported.

    They included 12 policemen in Samarra, among them the city’s police chief, who died when Sunni insurgents launched a suicide car bombing and other attacks on police headquarters.

    U.S. paratroopers from the 82nd Airborne Division came under small-arms and rocket-propelled grenade fire when they rushed to the scene, the U.S. military said. Two Americans were wounded, and a vehicle was damaged.

    The deadliest attack against U.S. forces occurred in Diyala, where six U.S. soldiers and a European journalist were killed when a massive bomb destroyed their vehicle, the U.S. military said. Two U.S. soldiers were wounded, the military said.

    Two other American soldiers died Saturday in separate bombings in Baghdad.

    The military also reported three other deaths — two Marines in a blast Sunday in Anbar province and a soldier who died Sunday in a noncombat incident in northern Iraq.

    Those deaths raised to at least 3,373 the number of U.S. military members who have died since the Iraq war started in March 2003, according to an Associated Press count.

    The market bombing occurred about noon in the Baiyaa district of western Baghdad, shattering vehicles, ripping roofs off nearby buildings and collapsing storefronts. Police said about 80 people were injured in addition to the 30 dead.

    Hospital officials said two pickup trucks filled with body parts were brought to the morgue.

    No group claimed responsibility for the attack, which followed allegations by Sunni politicians that Shiite militias have resumed their campaign to expel Sunnis from Baiyaa.

    Most of the shops in the market were believed to be owned by Shiites.

    That raised speculation that the bombing was carried out by Sunni hard-liners in reprisal for the alleged expulsions, which were believed to have slowed across the capital since the start of the Baghdad security crackdown Feb. 14.



    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Stern outlook

    An American general warned Sunday of more casualties to come as the U.S. steps up its campaign to restore stability to Baghdad and surrounding areas.

    “In the next 90 days we’re going to see increased American casualties because we’re taking the fight to the enemy,” said Maj. Gen. Rick Lynch, commander of U.S. troops south of Baghdad.

    Lynch predicted that U.S. operations would produce a “decisive effect on enemy formations” by September.




    .

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,548

    Re: Bush welcomes the Queen with a gaffe

    I'm sure that the campaign will now feature as one of the big issues to be how the president should act in front of royal idiocy. The woman is rich, famous and considered royalty for the same reasons Paris Hilton is. OK. Let the good times begin. Let's all talk about crap like this for electing the next president so they won't have to address the issues. Jeez.
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

  4. #4
    sojustask's Avatar
    sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,866

    Re: Bush welcomes the Queen with a gaffe

    Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    I'm sure that the campaign will now feature as one of the big issues to be how the president should act in front of royal idiocy. The woman is rich, famous and considered royalty for the same reasons Paris Hilton is. OK. Let the good times begin. Let's all talk about crap like this for electing the next president so they won't have to address the issues. Jeez.
    Have I pissed you off again Bogie? It appears that you are going to follow me around from thread to thread attempting to chastise me for stating my opinions again.

    Is there no one else you want to bother?

    Lady Mod

    .

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The beautiful south!
    Posts
    3,046

    Re: Bush welcomes the Queen with a gaffe

    Oh well, this past few days of pomp and ceremony is over and shallow to many
    of us but its the way of it. Fortunately it was quickly over.

    Its amazing to me that that the monarchy survives this day and age. I dont
    get it!

  6. #6
    sojustask's Avatar
    sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,866

    Re: Bush welcomes the Queen with a gaffe

    Quote Originally Posted by goodwitchofthesouth
    Oh well, this past few days of pomp and ceremony is over and shallow to many
    of us but its the way of it. Fortunately it was quickly over.

    Its amazing to me that that the monarchy survives this day and age. I dont
    get it!
    I think the Brits like the idea of Royalty. We do the same thing with it comes to our presidents. Think about it. We elect our monarchy, they give birth to theirs.

    LOL

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    589

    Re: Bush welcomes the Queen with a gaffe

    This is news? I thought we all new Bush was a moron, he probably welcomes his wife to bed with a gaffe. Has anyone noticed that for a teacher she aint that bright either?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,548

    Re: Bush welcomes the Queen with a gaffe

    Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    Have I pissed you off again Bogie? It appears that you are going to follow me around from thread to thread attempting to chastise me for stating my opinions again.

    Is there no one else you want to bother?

    Lady Mod

    .
    I'm not pissed lady mod. Tough to piss me off. How could I bother you. Seems you've counseled many here to just not read the posts they don't like. I've learned that and there are several here that I don't debate with. As far as chastising you, as with Kazza in the last couple of posts about funding bills, you often missrepresent the way my country works to people outside looking in trying to understand america. If it seems I'm picking on you excessively then it could be that you are the loudest advocate of how screwed up we are. And I will correct such a missrepresentation any time I can. My opinion of course but that's the way it works. Some people make impressions on other people that the first person wouldn't agree with. But the impression has still been made.
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

  9. #9
    sojustask's Avatar
    sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,866

    Re: Bush welcomes the Queen with a gaffe

    Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    I'm not pissed lady mod. Tough to piss me off. How could I bother you. Seems you've counseled many here to just not read the posts they don't like. I've learned that and there are several here that I don't debate with. As far as chastising you, as with Kazza in the last couple of posts about funding bills, you often missrepresent the way my country works to people outside looking in trying to understand america. If it seems I'm picking on you excessively then it could be that you are the loudest advocate of how screwed up we are. My opinion of course but that's the way it works. Some people make impressions on other people that the first person wouldn't agree with. But the impression has still been made.
    LOL, I don't see you doing much representing the way things run in your country. Factual or otherwise.

    And we are screwed up, less than other countries, but that doesn't eliminate the fact nor my opinion.


    Lady Mod

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,548

    Re: Bush welcomes the Queen with a gaffe

    Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    LOL, I don't see you doing much representing the way things run in your country.Lady Mod
    Oh really. I thought that was exactly what I did by refuting your mistaken explanation about how bills work in this country.
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

  11. #11
    sojustask's Avatar
    sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,866

    Re: Bush welcomes the Queen with a gaffe

    Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    Oh really. I thought that was exactly what I did by refuting your mistaken explanation about how bills work in this country.
    That isn't representation that is correction.

    And I wasn't explaining how bills worked in this country. Everyone will say Clinton passed something, Bush passed something, Reagan passed something, the general understanding is the administration OK'd it or Veto'd it, not just the individual. And the president does present things as bills to Congress and congress votes on it or changes it and sends it back to the president who signs it into law or Vetos it. The President, all by himself does that. Imagine that?

    Lady Mod

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,548

    Re: Bush welcomes the Queen with a gaffe

    Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    That isn't representation that is correction.

    And I wasn't explaining how bills worked in this country. Everyone will say Clinton passed something, Bush passed something, Reagan passed something, the general understanding is the administration OK'd it or Veto'd it, not just the individual. And the president does present things as bills to Congress and congress votes on it or changes it and sends it back to the president who signs it into law or Vetos it. The President, all by himself does that. Imagine that?

    Lady Mod
    Your dodging my suggestion that you list all the earmarks on that particular bill. Your above explanation still doesn't address the fact that presidents, even the ones you approve of, have very little control over what gets tacked on to a bill whether it was initiated in the congress or the oval office. The president does nothing all by himself when it comes to the passing of bills. You keep putting out wrong crap and then complain when someone corrects you. Too bad, but the corrections will keep comming.
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The beautiful south!
    Posts
    3,046

    Re: Bush welcomes the Queen with a gaffe

    Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    I think the Brits like the idea of Royalty. We do the same thing with it comes to our presidents. Think about it. We elect our monarchy, they give birth to theirs.

    LOL

    Haha...very good LM!! :D

  14. #14
    sojustask's Avatar
    sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,866

    Re: Bush welcomes the Queen with a gaffe

    Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    Your dodging my suggestion that you list all the earmarks on that particular bill. Your above explanation still doesn't address the fact that presidents, even the ones you approve of, have very little control over what gets tacked on to a bill whether it was initiated in the congress or the oval office. The president does nothing all by himself when it comes to the passing of bills. You keep putting out wrong crap and then complain when someone corrects you. Too bad, but the corrections will keep comming.
    Why don't you list them for us cupcake? It WAS your suggestion so it must be bothering you way more than myself. ;)

    I wouldn't give a president the line item veto power, ever. But I would get rid of all the special interests and lobbyists in Washington.

    Bush has added his own little addendums to bills in the past. I'm sure all presidents have. Why should I allow ONE man to rule when the checks and balances work, howbeit poorly these days?

    I'd rather sleep with a cobra.


    Lady Mod

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,548

    Re: Bush welcomes the Queen with a gaffe

    Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    Why don't you list them for us cupcake? It WAS your suggestion so it must be bothering you way more than myself. ;)
    That's what I thought. You've no idea what bush wanted passed and what he let through to get those items.
    I wouldn't give a president the line item veto power, ever. But I would get rid of all the special interests and lobbyists in Washington.
    So you like pork. Many do. Not me. Get rid of all the special interests and lobbyists in Washington? Now yer talkin'. Nonsense, but yer talkin'.
    Bush has added his own little addendums to bills in the past. I'm sure all presidents have. Why should I allow ONE man to rule when the checks and balances work, howbeit poorly these days?
    How would the line item veto allow one man to rule. He would simply be holding the pork slingers accountable. Sure seems to work in the states that have the line item veto for governors. Of course you would not be able to pick and chose bills to make any point you want when the president only signs off on what he is for and doesn't have to pass crap that he doesn't.
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

  16. #16
    sojustask's Avatar
    sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,866

    Re: Bush welcomes the Queen with a gaffe

    Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    That's what I thought. You've no idea what bush wanted passed and what he let through to get those items.
    Well other than it had nothing to do with the topic, I really didn't give a rip.

    So you like pork. Many do. Not me. Get rid of all the special interests and lobbyists in Washington? Now yer talkin'. Nonsense, but yer talkin'.
    I like people to make some sense. You don't.

    How would the line item veto allow one man to rule. He would simply be holding the pork slingers accountable. Sure seems to work in the states that have the line item veto for governors. Of course you would not be able to pick and chose bills to make any point you want when the president only signs off on what he is for and doesn't have to pass crap that he doesn't.
    Too much power for one individual to exercise. In the case of Bush, WAY too much power.

    Unless a man is accountable for his own actions (which he feels he is not) he has no right to hold others accountable for theirs.

    Lady Mod

Similar Threads

  1. Filthy Animals WORST 'Gaffe' Ever?
    By pwrone in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-27-2011, 12:31 PM
  2. Barack Obama - Gaffe Mania I - Dumber than Dumb
    By brucefan in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-29-2009, 09:09 PM
  3. Uncle Jay Welcomes the New Congress
    By Grim17 in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-07-2009, 12:56 PM
  4. Palin's Giggle Gaffe
    By Doc Bunkum in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2008, 08:02 AM
  5. Queen lobs bumble back at Bush
    By sojustask in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-10-2007, 11:52 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •