+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

mlm truth seeker Guest

Help the USA feed the poor.

Please help. Would everyone send this letter to our President to aid in feed the poverty stricken.

Thank You,

Douglas Bickford

President George W. Bush
    The White House
    1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
    Washington, DC 20500
    USA

We respectfully ask our government to help stop the tens of thousands of preventable deaths that occur every day from hunger and poverty-related diseases.

Specifically, we ask our country to honor the agreement it made and signed at the 2002 Monterrey Conference and again at the 2002 Johannesburg Summit to make concrete efforts towards giving 0.7% of our national income in aid to poor countries.

The United Nations estimates that when all 22 countries that signed the agreement meet the 0.7% goal, the resulting $195 billion each year will be enough to effectively end hunger and extreme poverty in the world.

We commend the countries that have already reached the 0.7% goal: Denmark, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, and Sweden.

We also commend the countries that have set up a schedule to meet the 0.7% goal and encourage them in their efforts to reach it as soon as possible: Austria, Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Portugal, Spain, and the United Kingdom.

We respectfully ask the six remaining countries to honor their agreement and set up a schedule to reach the 0.7% goal: Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, and the United States.

Thank you.
    2006 International Aid Donated COUNTRY Aid as % of income How close to the
    0.7% goal
    Sweden 1.03 Already reached goal
    Luxembourg 0.89 Already reached goal
    Norway 0.89 Already reached goal
    Netherlands 0.81 Already reached goal
    Denmark 0.80 Already reached goal
    Ireland 0.53 Scheduled for 2012
    United Kingdom 0.52 Scheduled for 2013
    Belgium 0.50 Scheduled for 2010
    Austria 0.48 Scheduled for 2015
    France 0.47 Scheduled for 2012
    Switzerland 0.39 No schedule yet
    Finland 0.39 Scheduled for 2010
    Germany 0.36 Scheduled for 2014
    Spain 0.32 Scheduled for 2012
    Canada 0.30 No schedule yet
    Australia 0.30 No schedule yet
    New Zealand 0.27 No schedule yet
    Japan 0.25 No schedule yet
    Portugal 0.21 Scheduled for 2015
    Italy 0.20 Scheduled for 2015
    United States 0.17 No schedule yet
    Greece 0.16 Scheduled for 2015
    Source: OECD

Re: Help the USA feed the poor.

With all due respect to those who wish to reduce suffering around the world.
    The struggling people who cannot feed themselves would be better served
    by education about birth control.

Quote Originally Posted by goodwitchofthesouth
    With all due respect to those who wish to reduce suffering around the world.
    The struggling people who cannot feed themselves would be better served
    by education about birth control.
    Hahaha thats a good one...
    The decisions you make today, will determine who you are tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Quertol
    Hahaha thats a good one...
    not only is it a good one, its the best solution there is for africa and asias overpopulation problems...which are the root cause of many of their social problems.

I always wondered when I saw Mother Teresa and her obvious love and concern
    for her people......"why not teach them about birth control?"..a little Norplant
    would have saved a lot of suffering.

I reckon the men over there haven't heard of "pulling out" prior to ejaculating?
    Perhaps MLM Truth Seeker would volunteer his services to instruct those less fortunate in the art of strategic maneuvering.
    franKg - "Since God was ok with Moses, Joshua and David burning cities to the ground and killing all the civilians I think he would be ok with us splashing a little water on some terrorists."

Dr poormouth - "Exackly;
    It's not "waterboarding", it's "extraordinary baptism""

Quote Originally Posted by carlbenator
    As discussed in a previous thread, this IRRATIONAL HATRED for the Jews and their RIGHT to SURVIVE is one of the many PROOFS of a God, AND a Devil.

Pulling out and bc don't guarantee anything. If it did I wouldn't have a two year old.

Yeah, we learned that years and years ago.

In many of these backward countries reproduction is like a trophy.
    Nevermind if they can take care of the "trophy" or not.

Um....

You guys used to teach them all about birth control.

Then Clinton signed that thing in Mexico that withdrew all US funding for any NPO that offered abortions or even collected statistics on abortions (I think it was clinton and I think it was Mexico, I'm not an American, I don't remember)

Unfortunately these NPOs that offered abortions were the same ones that educated people about contraception, and distributed condoms. Ironically, since withdrawing funding, abortions in the affected regions actually increased.

Oops, my bad. It was created by Reagan, Clinton removed it.

Surprise, surprise, Bush reinstated it.

Quote Originally Posted by kazza
    Um....

You guys used to teach them all about birth control.

Then Clinton signed that thing in Mexico that withdrew all US funding for any NPO that offered abortions or even collected statistics on abortions (I think it was clinton and I think it was Mexico, I'm not an American, I don't remember)

Unfortunately these NPOs that offered abortions were the same ones that educated people about contraception, and distributed condoms. Ironically, since withdrawing funding, abortions in the affected regions actually increased.

Oops, my bad. It was created by Reagan, Clinton removed it.

Surprise, surprise, Bush reinstated it.
    So Bush, Mr. Anti-abortion himself reinstated NPO funding for abortion clinics in other countries?

Lady Mod

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    So Bush, Mr. Anti-abortion himself reinstated NPO funding for abortion clinics in other countries?

Lady Mod
    Now that would be a cute trick seeing as bush as the president funds nothing. Congress does all that.
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

To me the point is if these organizations who want to feed and improve the
    lot of third world countries would accompany the food with birth control and
    a little education it would go a lot further than just feeding them and allowing
    more to be made.....! Population control would not only prevent suffering of
    kids, it would improve the lives of everyone.

We dont just "feed" our pets. They will make more and more and there will be
    unlimited food, disease and suffering. Are we not willing to do as much for
    people???? I dont think its a "right" to create more sufffering.

Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    Now that would be a cute trick seeing as bush as the president funds nothing. Congress does all that.
    Well good then. You can look up the evidence for us. I was merely determining if I understood Kazza accurately. By the way, Bush seems to have to approve a lot of the funding that Congress does.

Lady Mod

Quote Originally Posted by goodwitchofthesouth

We dont just "feed" our pets. They will make more and more and there will be
    unlimited food, disease and suffering. Are we not willing to do as much for
    people???? I dont think its a "right" to create more sufffering.
    Well a lot of these countries are in war or civil war and the populations targeted for genocide by those who want to control these countries, especially in areas of Africa.

It's not just a matter of telling them, don't make babies. That would almost be like saying, line up the family and we are going to only allow you to keep one while we kill the rest.

Provide for the basics, food, shelter, then teach them how to do it for themselves.

Lady Mod

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    Well good then. You can look up the evidence for us. I was merely determining if I understood Kazza accurately. By the way, Bush seems to have to approve a lot of the funding that Congress does.

Lady Mod
    Bush, like every president before him, must sign a funding bill for it to go into effect unless his veto can be overridden. But I'm amazed lady mod how little you seem to understand about how bills, funding or otherwise, are passed in our country. When a bill comes to the president for his signature, it is almost allways loaded with dozens of earmarks, often described as pork, and since the president does not have the line item veto, he must either sign the bill in it's entirety, earmarks and all, or send it back to congress. Many, many, many single issues about funding and many other things get twisted by the left or the right using such examples of a president signing a bill that contained a bunch of crap that he didn't like to get through the stuff that he did want to see. You folks then are free to pick and choose different issues that he signed or didn't sign as it fits your party's agenda.

To be fair you should list every earmark attatched to that bill so we could see what he was really signing, huh?
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

Of course, accompany the food with teaching them a better way. Neither one alone
    will work long term. Food alone only enables the ongoing problem.

No one said anything about killing ANY of the kids....just preventing more from
    being born to starve or die from disease or live to make even more. If these
    groups want to feed, feed, feed and nothing else, then go for it. I have other causes I choose to support where a lasting difference can be made.
    Feed away by all means.