+ Reply to Thread

Bill O'Reilly exposed:

The IU researchers found that O'Reilly called a person or a group a derogatory name once every 6.8 seconds, on average, or nearly nine times every minute during the editorials that open his program each night.

http://journalism.indiana.edu/papers/oreilly.html

Re: Bill O'Reilly exposed:

I'm doing some freelance IT work on IU campus right now, in the very same Ernie Pyle School of Journalism!

It's one of the best journalism schools in the country.

Good charts. I wasn't aware you could measure BS into statistics.

I don't know, as much as I enjoy any negative portrayal of O'Reilly, this seems like a pretty tortured analysis and one for which I'm not sure I get the point. If the idea is to show that O'Reilly is not a journalist, but rather a commentator that expresses his own opinion and message . . . well duh.

As it is a given that O'Reilly is expressing an opinion, I'm similarly not sure what value is provided by calculating how many times he uses "name-calling" phrases like "buried headline" or "kool-aid left" in trying to make his point. Nor am I surprised that a 2-minute opinion commentary would use these devices more frequently (on a per minute basis) than a 33 minute speech. In fact, my strong assumption is that, regardless of the commentator, a whole lot of 2-minute opinion commentaries would score very high in the use of "propaganda devices" if analyzed this way. And, I'm positive that every 30-second political ad would score off the charts.

While I agree that O'Reilly's need to resort to these techniques is telling about the quality of his message, labeling it propaganda itself seems like name-calling. I'm not saying Bill isn't a propagandist, but if he is it's not because he uses these devices to express his views on a wide range of topics. Rather, a propagandist uses these techniques in a nefarious attempt to advance a particular cause (and again, that may be what Bill is doing, but this study doesn't identify his cause or even a particularly constant theme being pushed in his Talking Points Memos)

Quote Originally Posted by rengman
    I don't know, as much as I enjoy any negative portrayal of O'Reilly, this seems like a pretty tortured analysis and one for which I'm not sure I get the point. If the idea is to show that O'Reilly is not a journalist, but rather a commentator that expresses his own opinion and message . . . well duh.

As it is a given that O'Reilly is expressing an opinion, I'm similarly not sure what value is provided by calculating how many times he uses "name-calling" phrases like "buried headline" or "kool-aid left" in trying to make his point. Nor am I surprised that a 2-minute opinion commentary would use these devices more frequently (on a per minute basis) than a 33 minute speech. In fact, my strong assumption is that, regardless of the commentator, a whole lot of 2-minute opinion commentaries would score very high in the use of "propaganda devices" if analyzed this way. And, I'm positive that every 30-second political ad would score off the charts.

While I agree that O'Reilly's need to resort to these techniques is telling about the quality of his message, labeling it propaganda itself seems like name-calling. I'm not saying Bill isn't a propagandist, but if he is it's not because he uses these devices to express his views on a wide range of topics. Rather, a propagandist uses these techniques in a nefarious attempt to advance a particular cause (and again, that may be what Bill is doing, but this study doesn't identify his cause or even a particularly constant theme being pushed in his Talking Points Memos)
    Well said. And what many don't seem to fathom is tha O'riely, besides being a comentator, has become the consumate entertainer. He's in a ratings game and these folks keep score by the numbers. Like many who crave power, Bill is hung up on being on top. Ego? sure it is but who of us can simply let our egos flee? O'reily is a master of his game and if you tune in, checkmate.
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.