+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 22

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,457

    You guys are not going to freaking believe this!

    I know I've posted several new threads all at once, but I've just been trolling around YouTube, and I keep finding stuff I just have to show you.

    I've recently been discussing pro-war and pro-Zionist Democrats. Well, it's not something that they're really bothering to hide anymore.



    I think the guy's name is Leeguana or something. He asked me: "You think Rush Limbaugh and Jon Stuart are waving the same flag?"

    After seeing this video, I just have to ask: "Are you freaking blind?!"

    I can't believe I'm seeing this. The video contains some of the most insane religious ravings. That hand shake is like watching Charles Manson and Amy Fisher unite in some crazed cause.

    What the hell are you guys doing? Christian Zionists? Zionism was founded by atheists? The Zionist sitting across the table from Colbert just admitted to have rejected Judaism and Christianity.

    I kid you not, I'm declaring Zionism to be a new religion, as nutty as Scientology, with disastrous and messed up results. This is so crazy, non-sensical and stupid.
    Last edited by Ronald; 04-29-2007 at 05:18 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    939

    Re: You guys are not going to freaking believe this!

    I think the guy speaking at the beginning the video could use a crash course on satire.

    Colbert is making fun of the author for the entire interview... the whole thing's tongue-in-cheek. This isn't that hard pick up on, is it?
    Last edited by yossarian; 04-30-2007 at 04:20 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,457

    Re: You guys are not going to freaking believe this!

    Obviously I can pick up on his sarcasm, like when Colbert says stuff like: "I'm more Jewish than you" or "build the temple so Jesus can come back on a cloud".

    But the book being showcased here is on Christian Zionism. The liberal left is advocating Christian Zionism, or rather just Zionism, while belittling the Christian part.

    Jon Stuart is just as Zionist as Colbert, if not more, but they're actually asking you to be Zionists. I posted a video on how much more money Israel gets than starving Africa. That is how bad the situation has gotten. We'll do more to make sure Israel keeps Palestinian land than we will to take care of starving kids.

    I'm pretty sure Jesus didn't say anything along the lines of: "Kick those Palestinians out and form Israel before I get back. And worry about the starving kids second."

    This is murderous lunacy. I can't believe how blatantly open they're being about it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    939

    Re: You guys are not going to freaking believe this!

    But the book being showcased here is on Christian Zionism. The liberal left is advocating Christian Zionism, or rather just Zionism, while belittling the Christian part.
    Advocating Zionism?

    That's an interesting assertion, especially based on a clip where the host is making the guest look like even more of a jackass than he is to begin with. I wish someone else would reply who is able to see this obvious fact.

    Satire:
    Satire (from Latin satira, "medley, dish of colourful fruits") is a technique used in drama, fiction, journalism, and occasionally in poetry, the graphic arts, the performing arts and other media in which the artist or author draws out societal or religious criticisms through use of other literary devices. Although satire is usually witty, and often very funny, the purpose of satire is not primarily humour but criticism of an event, an individual or a group in a clever manner.

    A very common, almost defining feature of satire is a strong vein of irony or sarcasm. Also, parody, burlesque, exaggeration, juxtaposition, comparison, analogy, and double entendre are devices frequently used in satirical speech and writing but it is strictly a misuse of the word to describe as "satire" works without an ironic (or sarcastic) undercurrent of mock-approval, and an element at least of anger. Satirical writing or drama often professes to approve values that are the diametric opposite of what the satirist actually wishes to promote.

    link

    This is murderous lunacy. I can't believe how blatantly open they're being about it.
    (See above definition.)
    Last edited by yossarian; 04-30-2007 at 05:07 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,457

    Re: You guys are not going to freaking believe this!

    Once again, I have already seen the satire. What you don't realize is that the satire is only being applied to Christian part of Christian Zionism. Colbert speaks in sarcasm when talking about Jesus' return and the Christian viewpoint of what they think they'll get by helping out, but treats the guest in total seriousness when he says: "We need this alliance."

    I'd look up the definition for "in denial", but I'm not going to pretend like you don't already know it.

    I know you don't want to take this seriously, but just compare how many Jewish guests that come on Colbert and Stewart's shows to the number of Muslim ones that do.

    Compare the number of Jewish celebrities you know to the number of Muslim. Just look at how much more often Jews are introduced into movie plots than Muslims, and when Muslims are introduced, how many of them are not terrorists. Consider also that there are over a billion Muslims in the world. That's a pretty big group to miss.

    I was about to continue trying to point out the obvious, but I realized something. "Why is America racist towards Arabs?" And why is the liberal, anti-war movement Zionist? Why are they huge supporters of a racial supremacist movement (and it is a racial supremacist movement when you say one race deserve land more than others and kicking them off)?

    Just look at the language you guys use to describe dead Iraqi civilians. "Collateral damage". Can you imagine calling the 9/11 victims on the airplanes "collateral damage". The terrorists didn't want to kill them, but they just got in the way, like so many civilians in Iraq.

    Look at how you're refering to human beings - as property. Collateral is property. It's an object. You don't feel for it. It has no feeling. And therefore you can't kill it. It's just "a damaged object". That's the kind of language you use towards these civilians.

    It's sick. You look at he conditions of Walter Reed, and the Republicans are scandalized, but where is that same scandal for the condition the Iraqi civilians face?

    I just realized why when I post these videos about Zionism, you guys can't respond - because that demands integrity, rather than a response conditioned from years of propaganda. I'm up against years and years of endless propaganda. It's like trying to convince a Muslim extremist raised from birth to see Jews as human beings when he's been raised not to.

    Hmm... and come to think about it, these are huge forces. It's not just mainstream media, but churches as well. Even my old church was very racist in the same regard on many occassions.

    I'm not approaching this debate the right way. It's unrealistic of me to expect anything I say to have a dent. I could approach this in a different way. If it's just a matter of conditioning, then all that needs to be done is un-condition, or reverse condition.
    Last edited by Ronald; 04-30-2007 at 05:53 PM.

  6. #6
    Godeskian is offline I have taken all knowledge to be my province. User Rank
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    763

    Re: You guys are not going to freaking believe this!

    I think I lost a few thousand braincells watching that.
    Close your eyes, but keep your mind wide open.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    939

    Re: You guys are not going to freaking believe this!

    Once again, I have already seen the satire. What you don't realize is that the satire is only being applied to Christian part of Christian Zionism. Colbert speaks in sarcasm when talking about Jesus' return and the Christian viewpoint of what they think they'll get by helping out, but treats the guest in total seriousness when he says: "We need this alliance."
    Do you watch the show much?

    Colbert is always in character. Always. Meaning, in other words, that he's not turning the satire button off and on all the time. You can pretty much count on every single statement he makes being in some way the opposite of what he believes in an exagerated form. Otherwise, the punchlines wouldn't hold as much weight because we'd have to constantly guess at which statements are meant to be jokes and which aren't.

    I'm not in denial -- I'm not pro-Zionist, so I have no reason to be. I just see it for what it is because I'm able to look at it objectively. It seems that you, on the other hand, are the victim of your own confirmation bias. You're already dead set in your belief that Zionism is behind a massive conspiracy to take over the world, and the media, which is owned and run either directly or indirectly by Zionists, is running a nonstop propaganda campaign to brainwash the public. You look at everything through this lens, so instead of observing things from an objective standpoint, you're simply looking for more ways to reinforce your previously held beliefs.

    Learn more on confirmation bias in this thread:
    http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?t=25106

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,549

    Re: You guys are not going to freaking believe this!

    I agree... Colbert... being Colbert is always in satire mode. The books author was on to simply plug his book and Colbert was doing what he does... satire.

    All these political pundits do is bring up issues and twist them just enough to get a laugh and (maybe) stir a thought or two. I don't take them seriously.

  9. #9
    sojustask's Avatar
    sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,866

    Re: You guys are not going to freaking believe this!

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulM
    I agree... Colbert... being Colbert is always in satire mode. The books author was on to simply plug his book and Colbert was doing what he does... satire.

    All these political pundits do is bring up issues and twist them just enough to get a laugh and (maybe) stir a thought or two. I don't take them seriously.
    Amen. It's what is known as "taking them with a grain of salt" is all about. LOL.

    Lady Mod

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,123

    Re: You guys are not going to freaking believe this!

    HUH??? Jews are in cahoots with Christians so that they can expedite the second coming of Jesus, so he can hold them responsible for not believing in him as the son of God??

    I've heard everything now? Waiter, check please!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    39

    Re: You guys are not going to freaking believe this!

    Not of interest to me !!! I turned it off right away.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,273

    Re: You guys are not going to freaking believe this!

    Quote Originally Posted by yossarian
    Do you watch the show much?

    Colbert is always in character. Always. Meaning, in other words, that he's not turning the satire button off and on all the time. You can pretty much count on every single statement he makes being in some way the opposite of what he believes in an exagerated form. Otherwise, the punchlines wouldn't hold as much weight because we'd have to constantly guess at which statements are meant to be jokes and which aren't.

    I'm not in denial -- I'm not pro-Zionist, so I have no reason to be. I just see it for what it is because I'm able to look at it objectively. It seems that you, on the other hand, are the victim of your own confirmation bias. You're already dead set in your belief that Zionism is behind a massive conspiracy to take over the world, and the media, which is owned and run either directly or indirectly by Zionists, is running a nonstop propaganda campaign to brainwash the public. You look at everything through this lens, so instead of observing things from an objective standpoint, you're simply looking for more ways to reinforce your previously held beliefs.

    Learn more on confirmation bias in this thread:
    http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?t=25106
    recently i was discussing the Colbert report with a relative, and I told him how i love the show but he seems to be right leaning and more conservative.
    my bro told me this was a ruse, a front which i guess he believes makes his show better and easier for him to be comedic. in reality, colbert is quite left leaning...

    i tried researching myself to find the answer, but sadly couldnt come up with much, i find this very interesting though, as there have been tons of times ive watched his show and thought "yeap, hes a righty". apparantly not the case at all though...
    Last edited by GeneralTsoGood; 04-30-2007 at 09:05 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,273

    Re: You guys are not going to freaking believe this!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald
    I posted a video on how much more money Israel gets than starving Africa. That is how bad the situation has gotten. We'll do more to make sure Israel keeps Palestinian land than we will to take care of starving kids.

    This is murderous lunacy. I can't believe how blatantly open they're being about it.
    I am an israel supporter, and although i dont agree they should get so much money from the US, i dont get why people get so bent up about it. $3 billion a year? thats like 6 stealth bombers, a drop in the bucket for this government.

    in regards to your african comparison, there are several qualifications that must be fulfilled in order to receive US foreign aid, the most basic being a government who political ideals are similar to that of the US, and i do believe many african nations do not fit into that category.

    anyways, i dont think israel "deserves" all that aid, but if tons of other countries are getting it, some of which dont even "like" the US, why not israel too.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,179

    Re: You guys are not going to freaking believe this!

    I love the Colbert show. But everyone above is right, he's a character. What he's saying isn't what he believes, thinks, or promotes. He's playing a part.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,457

    Re: You guys are not going to freaking believe this!

    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralTsoGood
    I am an israel supporter, and although i dont agree they should get so much money from the US, i dont get why people get so bent up about it. $3 billion a year? thats like 6 stealth bombers, a drop in the bucket for this government.

    in regards to your african comparison, there are several qualifications that must be fulfilled in order to receive US foreign aid, the most basic being a government who political ideals are similar to that of the US, and i do believe many african nations do not fit into that category.

    anyways, i dont think israel "deserves" all that aid, but if tons of other countries are getting it, some of which dont even "like" the US, why not israel too.
    Saying you're an "Israel" supporter can mean various things. It can mean you support the idea of a Jewish state, but not where it is. It can mean you wish they didn't pick that spot, but now that they did, you accept it. Or it can mean you want them to be safe. I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but it sounds like you're not a die-hard supporter or idealogue. Like if you saw someone remove people from and bulldoze down a Palestinian home without prior notice, you'd be against that instance, but not against a Jewish state.

    Okay, the drop in a bucket argument. That drop isn't a drop if it is more than the amount of aid sent to Africa. Because if we take that so called little drop and give it to Africa, we've more than doubled their aid. So it certainly is not a drop to them. Maybe to you, but it's the difference between life and death to them.

    But since you mention stealth bombers, it's important to note that those figures were direct financial aid, not including all the military technology given to them. So that actually adds to the gap between what's given to Israel and to Africa.

    And when looking at corrupt African governments, you absolutely should not give money to them. But you can spend the aid money in ways that directly helps the needy.

    I'll give you an example. Rather than giving a homeless man ten bucks, you can buy him ten bucks of groceries. This solves the problem of worrying if he'll spend it on drugs or alcohol.

    So the corrupt government argument isn't really an excuse. You just have to do a little extra work, rather than counting on that government to distribute the aid.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,273

    Re: You guys are not going to freaking believe this!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald
    Saying you're an "Israel" supporter can mean various things. It can mean you support the idea of a Jewish state, but not where it is. It can mean you wish they didn't pick that spot, but now that they did, you accept it. Or it can mean you want them to be safe. I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but it sounds like you're not a die-hard supporter or idealogue. Like if you saw someone remove people from and bulldoze down a Palestinian home without prior notice, you'd be against that instance, but not against a Jewish state.

    Okay, the drop in a bucket argument. That drop isn't a drop if it is more than the amount of aid sent to Africa. Because if we take that so called little drop and give it to Africa, we've more than doubled their aid. So it certainly is not a drop to them. Maybe to you, but it's the difference between life and death to them.

    But since you mention stealth bombers, it's important to note that those figures were direct financial aid, not including all the military technology given to them. So that actually adds to the gap between what's given to Israel and to Africa.

    And when looking at corrupt African governments, you absolutely should not give money to them. But you can spend the aid money in ways that directly helps the needy.

    I'll give you an example. Rather than giving a homeless man ten bucks, you can buy him ten bucks of groceries. This solves the problem of worrying if he'll spend it on drugs or alcohol.

    So the corrupt government argument isn't really an excuse. You just have to do a little extra work, rather than counting on that government to distribute the aid.
    thats not how the corrupt countries work sadly. thats why they are corrupt.
    cmon man, why do you think arab sheiks and african warlords drive rolls royces while their villagers dont even have running water?

    i say drop in the bucket because our government is about to give what, another 100 billion for Iraq? 1 billion to colombia? another billion to Egypt? is there any connection to either of those countries like there is a connection with Israel?

    i say again, if the US were to cut off aid to Israel, i wouldnt complain. but as long as the aid is flowing to all these other places, i certainly will not complain about israel's share, disproportionate or not.

    when i say i am an israel supporter it means that in a general sense i believe them to be on the right side of the fence in terms of the ME conflict between them and their arab neighbors. im not going to get into the bulldozing thing because there is more to those stories than just "big bad israel bulldozed those houses".

    in regards to the Jewish state, i dont really care. whats the point of arguing about events from over 60 years ago? israel has been around for longer than some european countries, its not going anywhere so debating the concept of a jewish state is moot to me...

Similar Threads

  1. Swedish squirrels are freaking enormous !!!!
    By Yawn... in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2013, 11:23 PM
  2. Ann Romney is a FREAKING BITCH
    By Yawn... in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 07-22-2012, 01:42 PM
  3. Freaking Out!!!!
    By ladyemily in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-08-2006, 03:07 AM
  4. It's A Freaking Shame
    By need2know in forum Mail Order Scams
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-26-2006, 05:22 AM
  5. So Freaking Excited!!!
    By ladyemily in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-10-2006, 02:52 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •