+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 71

Thread: Absolute Truth

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    23

    Absolute Truth

    Do you believe in it? Why or why not? Just curious to hear opinions.....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,215

    Re: Absolute Truth

    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveTalkingPolitics
    Do you believe in it? Why or why not? Just curious to hear opinions.....
    "It"?

    F*ck off, you clueless schmuck.
    "Science is evidence without proof. Creationism is proof without evidence."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    23

    Re: Absolute Truth

    ? "it" being "absolute truth" (figured you read the title of the thread....guess i was wrong). I also noticed you are getting angrier and more verbally violent in your posts. Why is that? Can't we just have discussions?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,215

    Re: Absolute Truth

    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveTalkingPolitics
    ? "it" being "absolute truth" (figured you read the title of the thread....guess i was wrong). I also noticed you are getting angrier and more verbally violent in your posts. Why is that? Can't we just have discussions?
    Discussions, no problem.

    Title of thread "absolute truth"?

    Might be a problem there. . .
    "Science is evidence without proof. Creationism is proof without evidence."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,715

    Re: Absolute Truth

    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveTalkingPolitics
    ? "it" being "absolute truth" (figured you read the title of the thread....guess i was wrong). I also noticed you are getting angrier and more verbally violent in your posts. Why is that? Can't we just have discussions?

    Why don't you just spell out for us exactly what you believe rather than beating around the bush?

    By referring to absolute truth as "it" I would tend to think you are describing your God...
    But this is just a guess because you aren't being very clear here...KWIM? ;)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    23

    Re: Absolute Truth

    Maybe i want to hear your opinions first because if i had posted mine, Leeguana would have had a fit and forgotten to post his/her own beliefs (happened anyway) :)

    my answer is religious, yes, but i know atheists that believe in an absolute truth as well, that's why i want to hear OPINIONS.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,549

    Re: Absolute Truth

    Absolute Truth absolutely depends upon one's point of view. It's a philosophical question and has no single answer... unless it squares with YOUR version of "Absolute Truth".

  8. #8
    Godeskian is offline I have taken all knowledge to be my province. User Rank
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    763

    Re: Absolute Truth

    Truth is for philosophers, I'm interested in evidence and facts.
    Close your eyes, but keep your mind wide open.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,773

    Re: Absolute Truth

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulM
    Absolute Truth absolutely depends upon one's point of view. It's a philosophical question and has no single answer... unless it squares with YOUR version of "Absolute Truth".

    I definitely don't agree - and I myself am not the standard.

    Is there such a thing as ABSOLUTE TRUTH - TRUTH THAT WE ARE ACCOUNTABLE TO...REGARDLESS of someone's point of view?

    Let's say no human being ever existed.
    Could there be an ABSOLUTE TRUTH even if no human being had a point of view, because no human being existed?

    Paul - what do you believe to be Absolute Truth?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,773

    Re: Absolute Truth

    Quote Originally Posted by Godeskian
    Truth is for philosophers, I'm interested in evidence and facts.
    Evidence and facts can be "entertaining." But if there was an actual fact(s) and evidence(s), would you truly be interested?

    There is a difference between "interested" and actually believing that that evidence is actually truthful.

    And you yourself are a philosopher. We all are.

  11. #11
    Godeskian is offline I have taken all knowledge to be my province. User Rank
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    763

    Re: Absolute Truth

    Quote Originally Posted by EveryKnee
    Evidence and facts can be "entertaining." But if there was an actual fact(s) and evidence(s), would you truly be interested?
    Yes actually. Far more so than when the debate is about 'truth'.

    And you yourself are a philosopher. We all are.
    Never denied that. However if it comes down to a decision between 'truth' and between 'evidence' I will always come down on the evidence side of things.

    Because too many people like to twist the truth into what they want it to be. Evidence can be examined independantly.
    Close your eyes, but keep your mind wide open.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,773

    Re: Absolute Truth

    Quote Originally Posted by Godeskian
    Yes actually. Far more so than when the debate is about 'truth'.
    Never denied that. However if it comes down to a decision between 'truth' and between 'evidence' I will always come down on the evidence side of things.
    Because too many people like to twist the truth into what they want it to be. Evidence can be examined independantly.
    Ah, and that's the rub.
    What is evidence to me and other born-again Bible-believing Christians might not be an evidence to anyone else.

    That the Lord answers prayers is evidence to a lot of people. But not everyone.

    And this is probably the 10th time that these threads had a discussion like this. Another cycle.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,549

    Re: Absolute Truth

    Quote Originally Posted by EveryKnee
    I definitely don't agree - and I myself am not the standard.
    But you are the standard... according to your point of view. Perhaps a better phrase would be to say you 'set' the standard according to your point of view.
    Quote Originally Posted by EveryKnee
    Is there such a thing as ABSOLUTE TRUTH - TRUTH THAT WE ARE ACCOUNTABLE TO...REGARDLESS of someone's point of view?
    That depends on one's point of view.

    Quote Originally Posted by EveryKnee
    Let's say no human being ever existed.
    Could there be an ABSOLUTE TRUTH even if no human being had a point of view, because no human being existed?
    Ahhh... circular logic... If a tree falls and there is nobody there to hear it does it make any noise?
    Again... it depends on one's point of view.
    Quote Originally Posted by EveryKnee
    Paul - what do you believe to be Absolute Truth?
    The only absolute is that there is no absolute... all things change.

    BUT... as I said in my initial post... it is a philosophical question... there is no right or wrong answer.

  14. #14
    Godeskian is offline I have taken all knowledge to be my province. User Rank
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    763

    Re: Absolute Truth

    Quote Originally Posted by EveryKnee
    Ah, and that's the rub.
    That the Lord answers prayers is evidence to a lot of people. But not everyone.
    Let me be specific then. Scientifically verifiable evidence. Every, not most, not some, but EVERY single scientific experiment done on the power of prayer has turned out exactly the same way. It makes no difference.

    However some Christians look at the entire body of research on prayer, dismiss it and say 'but God answers prayers, I know he does'.

    And that creates a problem, because then we're off evidence, and back onto faith.

    And this is probably the 10th time that these threads had a discussion like this. Another cycle.
    Nothing is new, everything has happened before. Untill either Christianity dominates the world and everyone is forced to believe, or Christianity is eliminated, and no one believes, debates like this will continue.
    Close your eyes, but keep your mind wide open.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,548

    Re: Absolute Truth

    Quote Originally Posted by EveryKnee
    Ah, and that's the rub.
    What is evidence to me and other born-again Bible-believing Christians might not be an evidence to anyone else.

    That the Lord answers prayers is evidence to a lot of people. But not everyone.

    And this is probably the 10th time that these threads had a discussion like this. Another cycle.
    Yes and now you're beginning to get it. Evidence to a born again bible believing christian is no evidence at all to science. We wouldn't have gone around ten times if you'd realized that the first time around.
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,548

    Re: Absolute Truth

    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveTalkingPolitics
    Maybe i want to hear your opinions first because if i had posted mine, Leeguana would have had a fit and forgotten to post his/her own beliefs (happened anyway) :)

    my answer is religious, yes, but i know atheists that believe in an absolute truth as well, that's why i want to hear OPINIONS.
    Ok. Athiest here. Except I recently found out I'm a humanist. Nothing is absolute.
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

Similar Threads

  1. Absolute Jacker Pro Scam
    By SCAMS in forum Mail Order Scams
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-25-2014, 10:46 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-12-2012, 10:58 PM
  3. What's The Absolute Stupidest Drug To Do?
    By Obi-Wan Knievel in forum General Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-29-2011, 07:28 PM
  4. Absolute Disgrace:
    By DoubleP in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-26-2009, 04:49 AM
  5. Know anything about Survey Absolute?
    By Mikadi in forum Work at Home Scams
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-21-2007, 08:03 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •