+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 19

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    21,809

    My MLM Experience Is Old?

    One of the silly things one of the pro-MLM camp mentioned recently is that some comments are off base because my experience in Amway is "old".

    First off, that person (Chris Doyle) has never been in Amway so maybe he should not comment at all, based on his own reasoning.

    Secondly, nothing of note has changed since my time in Amway. The company is still located in Michigan. Their compensation plan has not changed. Their core product line is the same, save for some cosmetic label changes. There's no evidence that IBO's are more profitable now than they were in my days. The only major difference is the ability to order products online rather than phoning in orders. My observations and experiences also mirror someone who blogs as a current IBO. There are still stories of people being tricked into attending Amway recruitment meetings.

    Truly, not much has changed even in 15 years.
    Originally Posted by nomaxim
    Sorry there ''ohein56', but it appears that 'Joecool44' does not have the position that you envision on this topic.

    'Joecool44' has, as a matter of routine, refuted most of your accusations
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax74 View Post
    Some people have the ability to think critically, some do not. ohein obviously doesn't.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: My MLM Experience Is Old?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joecool44 View Post
    One of the silly things one of the pro-MLM camp mentioned recently is that some comments are off base because my experience in Amway is "old".

    First off, that person (Chris Doyle) has never been in Amway so maybe he should not comment at all, based on his own reasoning.

    Secondly, nothing of note has changed since my time in Amway. The company is still located in Michigan. Their compensation plan has not changed. Their core product line is the same, save for some cosmetic label changes. There's no evidence that IBO's are more profitable now than they were in my days. The only major difference is the ability to order products online rather than phoning in orders. My observations and experiences also mirror someone who blogs as a current IBO. There are still stories of people being tricked into attending Amway recruitment meetings.

    Truly, not much has changed even in 15 years.
    Why change an extremely effective business model? Human nature hasn't changed: the willingness to hope, to bet on a longshot, to believe that one's own indomitable will is enough to surmount overwhelming odds. These are admirable human traits, which makes it that much more abominable (though ingenious, I admit) when these traits are used as a means for exploitation.
    Last edited by Richard 3; 07-31-2013 at 04:59 PM.

  3. #3

    Re: My MLM Experience Is Old?

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard 3 View Post
    Why change an extremely effective business model? Human nature hasn't changed: the willingness to hope, to bet on a longshot, to believe that one's own indomitable will is enough to surmount overwhelming odds. These are admirable human traits, which makes it that much more abominable (though ingenious, I admit) when these traits are used as a means for exploitation.
    Yep that's why there are lotteries, casinos and race tracks. People looking for short cuts to success. When it doesn't happen who's fault is that ? In MLM like any business if you focus on customers and sales and put energy into it then those "odds" aren't so overwhelming.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: My MLM Experience Is Old?

    Quote Originally Posted by noagenda View Post
    Yep that's why there are lotteries, casinos and race tracks. People looking for short cuts to success. When it doesn't happen who's fault is that ? In MLM like any business if you focus on customers and sales and put energy into it then those "odds" aren't so overwhelming.
    No, the casinos, lotteries and racetracks don't say that your own hard work will make you win. They don't promise wealth in their advertisements. They appeal to the thrill of getting something for nothing not to the belief in one's own self to ensure consumers. They have (supposedly) interventions in place to help people whose obsession has become unhealthy, while MLMs thrive on and promote such obsession.

  5. #5

    Re: My MLM Experience Is Old?

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard 3 View Post
    No, the casinos, lotteries and racetracks don't say that your own hard work will make you win. They don't promise wealth in their advertisements. They appeal to the thrill of getting something for nothing not to the belief in one's own self to ensure consumers. They have (supposedly) interventions in place to help people whose obsession has become unhealthy, while MLMs thrive on and promote such obsession.
    Nope Richard. And despite what Chris says, its just plain sales. Successful salespeople have those attributes and believe in themselves. Its what has always separated them from the pack.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,904

    Re: My MLM Experience Is Old?

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard 3 View Post
    No, the casinos, lotteries and racetracks don't say that your own hard work will make you win.
    Because it wont....its gambling. MLM isn't.

    They don't promise wealth in their advertisements.
    No legal MLM I know promises anything.

    They appeal to the thrill of getting something for nothing not to the belief in one's own self to ensure consumers.
    No MLM I know says you get something for nothing, they only pay on sales.

    They have (supposedly) interventions in place to help people whose obsession has become unhealthy, while MLMs thrive on and promote such obsession.
    Can't honestly say I've seen any unhealthy obsessions in MLM; healthy one's, yes. Having been a bookie I've seen loads in the gambling industry.
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,904

    Re: My MLM Experience Is Old?

    Quote Originally Posted by noagenda View Post
    Nope Richard. And despite what Chris says, its just plain sales. Successful salespeople have those attributes and believe in themselves. Its what has always separated them from the pack.
    It can be ''plain sales'' if you want to work it like that, or it can be team building/mentoring/coaching instead (product sales still take place)
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: My MLM Experience Is Old?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDoyle View Post
    Because it wont....its G***lng. MLM isn't.



    No legal MLM I know promises anything.



    No MLM I know says you get something for nothing, they only pay on sales.



    Can't honestly say I've seen any unhealthy obsessions in MLM; healthy one's, yes. Having been a bookie I've seen loads in the G***lng industry.
    Point by point response to your post above:

    - That's exactly what I'm saying.

    - Word games. They advertise the opportunity, as you've stated you do, not the product. They all make it clear there are no promises in 6 pt font in the contract that you sign.

    - Right. I was saying that one of the primary appeals of racetracks was the possibility of getting something for nothing, not that MLMs promised something for nothing, at least not the blue-chip upper-tier MLMs.

    - We'll have to disagree. I think there has been significant evidence on this very board that some MLMers become obsessed to the point of delusion.
    Last edited by Richard 3; 07-31-2013 at 05:39 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,904

    Re: My MLM Experience Is Old?

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard 3 View Post
    We'll have to disagree. I think there has been significant evidence on this very board that some MLMers become obsessed to the point of delusion.
    I love my obsession... it makes me very healthy and lots of money!
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    21,809

    Re: My MLM Experience Is Old?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDoyle View Post
    I love my obsession... it makes me very healthy and lots of money!
    Then this applies:

    Originally Posted by Richard 3
    We'll have to disagree. I think there has been significant evidence on this very board that some MLMers become obsessed to the point of delusion.
    Originally Posted by nomaxim
    Sorry there ''ohein56', but it appears that 'Joecool44' does not have the position that you envision on this topic.

    'Joecool44' has, as a matter of routine, refuted most of your accusations
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax74 View Post
    Some people have the ability to think critically, some do not. ohein obviously doesn't.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,325

    Re: My MLM Experience Is Old?

    Quote Originally Posted by noagenda View Post
    Yep that's why there are lotteries, casinos and race tracks. People looking for short cuts to success.
    Agree. Why would Amway change? They rake in billions while 99+% of IBOs fail. Obviously they don't care about the individual IBO any more than GM cares about people that buy Chevy.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,325

    Re: My MLM Experience Is Old?

    Quote Originally Posted by noagenda View Post
    Nope Richard. And despite what Chris says, its just plain sales. Successful salespeople have those attributes and believe in themselves. Its what has always separated them from the pack.
    Exactly, it's all sales no matter if you are pushing the product, the opportunity, or both. Anyone claiming otherwise is delusional. "Here go to this web site and come back and sign up" LOL

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,904

    Re: My MLM Experience Is Old?

    Quote Originally Posted by tomInAustin View Post
    Agree. Why would Amway change? They rake in billions while 99+% of IBOs fail. Obviously they don't care about the individual IBO any more than GM cares about people that buy Chevy.
    They would prefer more people to be successful but they understand that unfortunately most will not take the necessary steps to be successful.
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,325

    Re: My MLM Experience Is Old?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDoyle View Post
    They would prefer more people to be successful but they understand that unfortunately most will not take the necessary steps to be successful.
    No, they make plenty of money with 99+% failures. If they wanted more people to be successful they would change the model.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,325

    Re: My MLM Experience Is Old?

    Quote Originally Posted by iamwil View Post
    GM doesn't care about the people that buy Chevy?
    Only to the point that they want to buy another and make the GMAC payment.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,904

    Re: My MLM Experience Is Old?

    Quote Originally Posted by tomInAustin View Post
    No, they make plenty of money with 99+% failures. If they wanted more people to be successful they would change the model.
    Change the model to what?
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

Similar Threads

  1. My MCA experience
    By Lenny Johnson in forum MLM Scams
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2016, 10:56 PM
  2. What is the Best Experience You have Doing MLM?
    By rash085 in forum MLM Scams
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-08-2014, 09:16 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-25-2012, 10:22 PM
  4. Just Had An Experience
    By kellyj in forum Mail Order Scams
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-09-2010, 06:10 PM
  5. Your Experience!
    By PowerOfCards in forum MLM Scams
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-11-2006, 02:56 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •