+ Reply to Thread

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

The Wall that American's built...

Remember hearing about the wall in Baghdad that American forces were building? Well, it's being stopped. Isn't that something, we bring them freedom and then we wall them in?
    Iraqi Premier Orders Work Stopped on Wall
    By ALISSA J. RUBIN
    Published: April 23, 2007

BAGHDAD, April 22 — Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Maliki said Sunday that he was ordering a halt to construction of a controversial wall that would block a Sunni neighborhood in Baghdad from other areas, saying it reminded people of “other walls.”

The announcement, which he made in Cairo while on a state visit, appeared intended to allay mounting criticism from both Sunni Arab and Shiite parties about the project.

“I oppose the building of the wall, and its construction will stop,” Mr. Maliki told reporters during a joint news conference with the secretary general of the Arab League, Amr Moussa. “There are other methods to protect neighborhoods.”

A spokesman for the American military, Lt. Col. Christopher Garver, said the military would remain “in a dialogue” with the Iraqi government about how best to protect citizens. The military did not say whether the wall’s construction would be halted.

Mr. Maliki did not specify in his remarks what other walls he referred to. However, the separation barrier in the West Bank being erected by Israel, which Israel says is for protection but greatly angers Palestinians, is a particularly delicate issue among Arabs.

In Baghdad, the wall would surround the Adhamiya neighborhood, a Sunni Arab enclave bordered by Shiite areas. Adhamiya often comes under mortar attack and suffers incursions from those neighborhoods. However, it has also been a stronghold of militant Sunni Arab groups, and the wall would have helped the Iraqi security forces to control their movements.

Earlier on Sunday, the spokesman for the American military in Iraq sought to allay criticism of the project and explain its intent by saying that it was meant to be only a temporary barrier to improve security.

The military does not have a new strategy of building walls or creating “gated communities,” the spokesman, Maj. Gen. William B. Caldwell IV, said in a written statement. He described it as a tactic being used in only a handful of neighborhoods and not an effort to divide the city, much less the country.

However, American military officials said last week in a statement that the Adhamiya wall was “one of the centerpieces of a new strategy.” They also said that the wall was aimed at separating Sunni Arabs in Adhamiya from Shiites to the east.

Opposition to the wall has gathered steam since the news release was issued, and on Sunday, Sunni Arab and Shiite groups sharply criticized the idea. The Sunni Arab Iraqi Islamic Party and the Shiite group linked to the anti-American cleric Moktada al-Sadr both announced that they opposed dividing Baghdad by sect. In sharp statements, they said the wall would increase sectarian hatred and fuel efforts to partition the country.

“Surrounding areas of the capital with barbed wire and concrete blocks would harm these areas economically and socially,” the Islamic Party said in an e-mail message to news organizations. “In addition, it will enhance sectarian feelings.”

Abu Firas al-Mutairi, a representative of the Sadr movement in Najaf, which has supported Mr. Maliki, said: “The Sadr movement considers building a wall around Al Adhamiya as a way to lay siege to the Iraqi people and to separate them into cantons. It is like the Berlin Wall that divided Germany.”

“This step is the first step toward dividing the regions into cantons and blockading people there,” he added. “Today it happens in Adhamiya. Tomorrow it will happen in Sadr City,” referring to the Shiite slum in Baghdad that is a stronghold of Mr. Sadr.

The wall, which was being built as part of the security plan, had been a joint project with the Iraqi Army. The Iraqi government has the final say over how the security plan proceeds, but most policies are being intensively negotiated with the Americans, who are deploying nearly 30,000 additional troops to help secure Baghdad and the surrounding areas.

Mr. Maliki’s announcement came as sectarian violence continued across Iraq, with a horrific execution by Sunni Arabs in Mosul of 23 members of a small religious sect, known as Yezidis.

The Yezidis, who are most numerous in the Kurdistan region of northern Iraq, practice an offshoot of Islam that combines some Muslim teachings with those of ancient Persian religion.

At least 60 people died Sunday in Iraq, with 18 killed by car bombs in Baghdad. Eleven bodies were found in the capital and five in the city of Kut, to the south.

But the most chilling attack was the one in Mosul. It followed the marriage in early April of a Sunni Arab man and a woman from the Yezidi faith, the police said.

The police said that when the woman married, she converted to Islam, which angered some of the Yezidis. She was kidnapped and as she was being brought back to her tribe, a crowd gathered and stoned her to death, said Brig. Gen. Muhammad al-Waqa of the Mosul police.

The Sunni Arabs in the area demanded that the Yezidis turn over the killers, and the police also put out a warrant for their arrest. In one Yezidi-majority town east of Mosul, residents found leaflets saying, “Unless you turn them over, we will never let any Yezidi breathe the air.”

The Yezidis refused. On Sunday afternoon, armed men stopped minibuses traveling from a government textile factory in Mosul, where many Yezidis and Christians were known to work. The men dragged the passengers off the buses, checked their identity cards and lined the Yezidis up against a wall and shot them, killing 23 people and wounding three, General Waqa said.

In Falluja, in Anbar Province, west of Baghdad, the City Council chairman, Sami al-Jumaili, was assassinated Sunday. He was the fifth council chairman in Falluja to lose his life while in the job since the war began. The militant group Al Qaeda in Mesopotamia has attacked those who work with the government, the police or the Iraqi Army in Anbar.

A relative of Mr. Jumaili who spoke anonymously because he feared retribution described him as “an educated man who went to medical school.”

“He accepted the job because he trusts people and wanted to help the city,” the relative said. “Many people refused the job. The family warned him that the job was dangerous. And, many of his predecessors had been killed. He answered that he had not harmed anyone.”

The American military released a statement on Sunday saying two soldiers had been killed in separate attacks on Saturday, one in Baghdad and another southwest of the capital.

Iraqi employees of The New York Times contributed reporting from Mosul and Falluja.

mlm truth seeker Guest

Re: The Wall that American's built...

BAGHDAD, April 22 — Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Maliki said Sunday that he was ordering a halt to construction of a controversial wall that would block a Sunni neighborhood in Baghdad from other areas, saying it reminded people of “other walls.”

Mr. Maliki did not specify in his remarks what other walls he referred to. However, the separation barrier in the West Bank being erected by Israel, which Israel says is for protection but greatly angers Palestinians, is a particularly delicate issue among Arabs.

In Baghdad, the wall would surround the Adhamiya neighborhood, a Sunni Arab enclave bordered by Shiite areas. Adhamiya often comes under mortar attack and suffers incursions from those neighborhoods. However, it has also been a stronghold of militant Sunni Arab groups, and the wall would have helped the Iraqi security forces to control their movements.

Earlier on Sunday, the spokesman for the American military in Iraq sought to allay criticism of the project and explain its intent by saying that it was meant to be only a temporary barrier to improve security.

The military does not have a new strategy of building walls or creating “gated communities,” the spokesman, Maj. Gen. William B. Caldwell IV, said in a written statement. He described it as a tactic being used in only a handful of neighborhoods and not an effort to divide the city, much less the country.

However, American military officials said last week in a statement that the Adhamiya wall was “one of the centerpieces of a new strategy.” They also said that the wall was aimed at separating Sunni Arabs in Adhamiya from Shiites to the east.

Opposition to the wall has gathered steam since the news release was issued, and on Sunday, Sunni Arab and Shiite groups sharply criticized the idea. The Sunni Arab Iraqi Islamic Party and the Shiite group linked to the anti-American cleric Moktada al-Sadr both announced that they opposed dividing Baghdad by sect. In sharp statements, they said the wall would increase sectarian hatred and fuel efforts to partition the country.

“Surrounding areas of the capital with barbed wire and concrete blocks would harm these areas economically and socially,” the Islamic Party said in an e-mail message to news organizations. “In addition, it will enhance sectarian feelings.”

Abu Firas al-Mutairi, a representative of the Sadr movement in Najaf, which has supported Mr. Maliki, said: “The Sadr movement considers building a wall around Al Adhamiya as a way to lay siege to the Iraqi people and to separate them into cantons. It is like the Berlin Wall that divided Germany.”

“This step is the first step toward dividing the regions into cantons and blockading people there,” he added. “Today it happens in Adhamiya. Tomorrow it will happen in Sadr City,” referring to the Shiite slum in Baghdad that is a stronghold of Mr. Sadr.

The wall, which was being built as part of the security plan, had been a joint project with the Iraqi Army. The Iraqi government has the final say over how the security plan proceeds, but most policies are being intensively negotiated with the Americans, who are deploying nearly 30,000 additional troops to help secure Baghdad and the surrounding areas.

TO THE MIDDLE EAST:

If ALL THE PARTIES INVOLVED would just SAY they ARE SORRY to God for All their little sin (white lies) there WOULD BE PEACE IN THE MIDDLE EAST! Then there WOULD NOT HAVE TO BE A WALL AT ALL. God HAVE MERCY ON US please BRING US REPENTANCE NOT WRATH!

If the LEADER OF ISREAL and the LEADER OF THE PALESTINIAN PEOPLE would JUST GET together ONE on ONE WITHOUT ALL THE ARMIES and GUNS and HAVE A MAN TO MAN discussion ABOUT PEACE JUST MAYBE YOU COULD WORK IT OUT and HAVE PEACE FOR ONCE!

Do you REALLY THINK GOD wants you KILLING EACH OTHER! If YOU DO YOUR WRONG! HE WANTS PEACE NOT WAR! Do YOU REALLY THINK God looks down on you from HEAVEN and says sure go AHEAD send CAR BOMBS into IRAQ and BLOW THOUSANDS OF INNOCENT PEOPLE in THE NAME OF GOD! NOT!

It is a JOKE! Obviously, Mr Leader of Isreal and Mr Leader of the Palestine People we ARE NOT SERVING THE SAME GOD! God WANTS PEACE not WAR! When you ARE BLOWING UP INNOCENT PEOPLE IN THE NAME OF GOD it IS NOT THE ONE TRUE GOD. It is the god of this WORLD Satan. He is the ONLY ONE that WOULD WANT LITTLE KIDS KILLED not THE ONE TRUE GOD whom is AND ALWAYS WILL BE JESUS CHRIST!

Mr Isreal, you know whom I am talking about He is the one GOD'S CHOSEN PEOPLE CRUCIFIED in the NAME OF GOD, ON THE CROSS calvary over 2000 years ago because YOU ALL didn't AND STILL DON'T BELIEVE HE IS GOD! I got NEWS FOR YOU HE HAS BEEN BACK to PLANET EARTH SINCE 3 Days AFTER HIS DEATH and IS WAITING FOR YOU to open YOUR EYES AND BELIEVE IN HIM and ACCEPT HIM (JESUS) into YOUR HEARTS.

I KNOW GOD IS GOING TO PROTECT his CHOSEN PEOPLE BUT WHAT ABOUT THE REST OF US Gentile People. Are WE GOING TO HAVE TO SUFFER GOD'S WRATH BECAUSE you DON'T BELIEVE that JESUS is ALREADY here and KNOCKING AT YOUR hearts door! How fair is that! Do you think GOD really WANTS TO DESTROY THIS PLANET BECAUSE MANKIND CAN'T SAY THEY ARE Sorry! NOT EVEN!

Mr Isreal, I am SORRY I HAVE TO BE THE ONE TO TELL YOU ALL OF THIS it is ALL TRUTH it is COMING FROM GOD(Jesus) to you and I just happened to be the one he is using. He REALLY only wants HIS CHOSEN people and YOU AND ME and THE WHOLE WORLD to say we are sorry to him for all OUR GARBAGE we have done in our lives.

Here is ALL YOU HAVE TO SAY to make it right with God.

I will say this to with you. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE for YOUR GRANDCHILDRENS sake. Say it with me AS A FRIEND and a fellow human being.

God,
    I know I have fallen short of your Glory. Please forgive me for all my sin(breaking of God's Divine Law). God give me the Faith I need to have peace. Please come into my heart and fix me and then you can FIX THE WORLD through me. Help me to have peace with my neigbors in the Middle East. I pray in God's name. Amen

Mr Leader of Palenstine I say the exactly same thing to you because I know you don't believe in Jesus either. Please say the prayer with with Mr Isreal because then only THEN can WE HAVE TRUE PEACE IN the MIDDLE EAST. Do you really WANT your GRANDCHILDREN dead BEFORE THEY EVER reach the AGE OF ACCOUNTIBLITY. I will say it with you like I said it with him.

Please, please, please let us have PEACE IN THE MIDDLE EAST. Even YOUR GOD doesn't want WAR HE really DOESN'T you will have to TRUST ME when I say this. If you say this prayer you and I will see EACH other again on the other SIDE. I will tell you the story and how I know.

I love you like a brother I live over here in the United States where I don't have live with KILLING and DYING all the time. Not like you where the whole country is ravaged from war. I know it is hard. Ask your GOD to give you peace and he will I promise. I will be asking your God the same thing.

Call me sometime and we can talk. My name is Douglas Bickford and my phone is 541-273-2016. I live in the beautiful state of Oregon or write me and I will send you some pictures of me and my family and you can send me pictures that would be cool. My address is Douglas Bickford 11800 Tingley Lane #6, Klamath Falls, Oregon, 97601.

ALL GOOD AND GREAT THINGS to the ALL the MIDDLE EAST. ALL THE DIFFERENT FAITH'S of the MIDDLE EAST. ALL THE LEADERS of THE MIDDLE EAST and their families. All the Leaders of ALL the militia in the MIDDLE EAST INCLUDING AL-QUEDA, Osama Bin Laden his family, and Sadam Husseins Family and Sadam Hussein himself. Saudia Arabia everyone that lives there and all the families, Syria all the leaders and all the families that live there, Eygypt and all the people and families that live there, Iran and all the leaders and families living there, Afganistan and all the military leaders and families that live there. Iraq and all the leaders of the country and all the families that live there. I am sorry if I missed anyone but I didn't take highschool seriously I was more into Wild Women, Bell Bottoms and ROCK and ROLL! May the GOD OF THE UNIVERSE RICHLEY BLESS EACH and EVERY ONE OF YOU and GIVE ALL YOUR COUNTRIES PEACE!

Iraq and all the families that live there and the insurgents. PLEASE FORGIVE US FOR COMING OVER THERE and ANNILATING your country. If Osama Bin Laden would have said the prayer listed on this forum HE WOULD have NEVER have attacked us. I believe if everyone in the United States said this prayer. We would have NEVER ATTACKED YOU innocent PEOPLE EITHER.

I know I am probably the only person that you have heard this from in the United States but there are ALOT of other people that feel the same way as I do. Please forgive us.

Douglas Bickford
    Once CONDEMNED to BELIEVE the LIES THE WORLD had to OFFER but NOW FREE in JESUS to ENJOY all the GOOD THINGS that MOTHER EARTH has to offer.
    Douglasbickford@hotmail.com

That wall belongs over here on our southern border!!

I still say let them have at it and bring our kids home. :mad:

look at the progress!!! our boys didnt stop at building schools and hospitals, now theyre building walls!!!

yipee

Quote Originally Posted by mlm truth seeker

TO THE MIDDLE EAST:

If ALL THE PARTIES INVOLVED would just SAY they ARE SORRY to God for All their little sin (white lies) there WOULD BE PEACE IN THE MIDDLE EAST! Then there WOULD NOT HAVE TO BE A WALL AT ALL. God HAVE MERCY ON US please BRING US REPENTANCE NOT WRATH!

If the LEADER OF ISREAL and the LEADER OF THE PALESTINIAN PEOPLE would JUST GET together ONE on ONE WITHOUT ALL THE ARMIES and GUNS and HAVE A MAN TO MAN discussion ABOUT PEACE JUST MAYBE YOU COULD WORK IT OUT and HAVE PEACE FOR ONCE!

Do you REALLY THINK GOD wants you KILLING EACH OTHER! If YOU DO YOUR WRONG! HE WANTS PEACE NOT WAR! Do YOU REALLY THINK God looks down on you from HEAVEN and says sure go AHEAD send CAR BOMBS into IRAQ and BLOW THOUSANDS OF INNOCENT PEOPLE in THE NAME OF GOD! NOT!

It is a JOKE! Obviously, Mr Leader of Isreal and Mr Leader of the Palestine People we ARE NOT SERVING THE SAME GOD! God WANTS PEACE not WAR! When you ARE BLOWING UP INNOCENT PEOPLE IN THE NAME OF GOD it IS NOT THE ONE TRUE GOD. It is the god of this WORLD Satan. He is the ONLY ONE that WOULD WANT LITTLE KIDS KILLED not THE ONE TRUE GOD whom is AND ALWAYS WILL BE JESUS CHRIST!

Mr Isreal, you know whom I am talking about He is the one GOD'S CHOSEN PEOPLE CRUCIFIED in the NAME OF GOD, ON THE CROSS calvary over 2000 years ago because YOU ALL didn't AND STILL DON'T BELIEVE HE IS GOD! I got NEWS FOR YOU HE HAS BEEN BACK to PLANET EARTH SINCE 3 Days AFTER HIS DEATH and IS WAITING FOR YOU to open YOUR EYES AND BELIEVE IN HIM and ACCEPT HIM (JESUS) into YOUR HEARTS.

I KNOW GOD IS GOING TO PROTECT his CHOSEN PEOPLE BUT WHAT ABOUT THE REST OF US Gentile People. Are WE GOING TO HAVE TO SUFFER GOD'S WRATH BECAUSE you DON'T BELIEVE that JESUS is ALREADY here and KNOCKING AT YOUR hearts door! How fair is that! Do you think GOD really WANTS TO DESTROY THIS PLANET BECAUSE MANKIND CAN'T SAY THEY ARE Sorry! NOT EVEN!

Mr Isreal, I am SORRY I HAVE TO BE THE ONE TO TELL YOU ALL OF THIS it is ALL TRUTH it is COMING FROM GOD(Jesus) to you and I just happened to be the one he is using. He REALLY only wants HIS CHOSEN people and YOU AND ME and THE WHOLE WORLD to say we are sorry to him for all OUR GARBAGE we have done in our lives.

Here is ALL YOU HAVE TO SAY to make it right with God.

I will say this to with you. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE for YOUR GRANDCHILDRENS sake. Say it with me AS A FRIEND and a fellow human being.

God,
    I know I have fallen short of your Glory. Please forgive me for all my sin(breaking of God's Divine Law). God give me the Faith I need to have peace. Please come into my heart and fix me and then you can FIX THE WORLD through me. Help me to have peace with my neigbors in the Middle East. I pray in God's name. Amen

Mr Leader of Palenstine I say the exactly same thing to you because I know you don't believe in Jesus either. Please say the prayer with with Mr Isreal because then only THEN can WE HAVE TRUE PEACE IN the MIDDLE EAST. Do you really WANT your GRANDCHILDREN dead BEFORE THEY EVER reach the AGE OF ACCOUNTIBLITY. I will say it with you like I said it with him.

Please, please, please let us have PEACE IN THE MIDDLE EAST. Even YOUR GOD doesn't want WAR HE really DOESN'T you will have to TRUST ME when I say this. If you say this prayer you and I will see EACH other again on the other SIDE. I will tell you the story and how I know.

I love you like a brother I live over here in the United States where I don't have live with KILLING and DYING all the time. Not like you where the whole country is ravaged from war. I know it is hard. Ask your GOD to give you peace and he will I promise. I will be asking your God the same thing.

Call me sometime and we can talk. My name is Douglas Bickford and my phone is 541-273-2016. I live in the beautiful state of Oregon or write me and I will send you some pictures of me and my family and you can send me pictures that would be cool. My address is Douglas Bickford 11800 Tingley Lane #6, Klamath Falls, Oregon, 97601.

ALL GOOD AND GREAT THINGS to the ALL the MIDDLE EAST. ALL THE DIFFERENT FAITH'S of the MIDDLE EAST. ALL THE LEADERS of THE MIDDLE EAST and their families. All the Leaders of ALL the militia in the MIDDLE EAST INCLUDING AL-QUEDA, Osama Bin Laden his family, and Sadam Husseins Family and Sadam Hussein himself. Saudia Arabia everyone that lives there and all the families, Syria all the leaders and all the families that live there, Eygypt and all the people and families that live there, Iran and all the leaders and families living there, Afganistan and all the military leaders and families that live there. Iraq and all the leaders of the country and all the families that live there. I am sorry if I missed anyone but I didn't take highschool seriously I was more into Wild Women, Bell Bottoms and ROCK and ROLL! May the GOD OF THE UNIVERSE RICHLEY BLESS EACH and EVERY ONE OF YOU and GIVE ALL YOUR COUNTRIES PEACE!

Iraq and all the families that live there and the insurgents. PLEASE FORGIVE US FOR COMING OVER THERE and ANNILATING your country. If Osama Bin Laden would have said the prayer listed on this forum HE WOULD have NEVER have attacked us. I believe if everyone in the United States said this prayer. We would have NEVER ATTACKED YOU innocent PEOPLE EITHER.

I know I am probably the only person that you have heard this from in the United States but there are ALOT of other people that feel the same way as I do. Please forgive us.

Douglas Bickford
    Once CONDEMNED to BELIEVE the LIES THE WORLD had to OFFER but NOW FREE in JESUS to ENJOY all the GOOD THINGS that MOTHER EARTH has to offer.
    Douglasbickford@hotmail.com
    your an idiot...

But this is what Republicans do best.... build walls. They build walls to divide people, to separate cultures, and to eliminate any chance of reconciliation. Walls in Israel, walls in Iraq, and walls in America. Look at how amazingly well the Berlin Wall worked.....um..... never mind.

Good fences make good neighbors!

Quote Originally Posted by goodwitchofthesouth
    Good fences make good neighbors!
    Interesting. I travel to the northeastern states and marvel at the lack of fences between neighbors. Then I travel to the east los angeles area where all neighbors are fenced apart. Wonder if the neighbors are better in east LA than East Hampton.
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

Bring our troups home. Leave Haliberton there, let their checks bounce.