+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this a scam?? Please help quickly, thank you...

Hi everyone,

I was trying to sublet out my room for three months over the summer for $450 per month and I wanted to know if this reply is a scam. I suspect it but didn't want to reply to this person till I had more information. What should I do?

-eugene

below is the email response from the supposed renters...

Hello xxxxxx,
    Thank you for your swift response. I am very much interested in the room. I will like to make an upfront payment for the first month {May} to secure the place.
    My staff's name is xxxxxxx (Female, 23 years old) She works as a marketing executive to my company in Quality Fabrics and Textile INC. in London, UK. She is a responsible, approachable and martured individual. She is neat, a non-smoker and an easy going professional.
    I will be sending you a US cashier's check of $3200 which i will write payable to your name and which is cashable in your bank. I am sending you that much money because i am out of the country at the moment and my staff will be in need of physical cash in order to arrange her flight ticket and shop for other necessary things to take along to the States.
    So as soon as you receive the cashier's check, take it to the bank and cash it, deduct the rent payment for the rent charges for the first month which is $450 and other western union charges then you can send the balance down to my staff through western union money transfer so that she can buy her ticket and other necessary items that will be useful during her training programme.
    Send me your full name,address and cell phone number so that i can write the check payable to your name.
    The money order will be mail to you as soon as possible by the UPS.

Hope to hear from you as soon as possible.
    My Best Regards

xxxxxxx

2. 04-19-2007, 02:21 AM

Reason
    mistake

Re: Is this a scam?? Please help quickly, thank you...

No doubt a scam. The check will bounce after you have cashed it and you will be responsible for all the funds that you withdraw & all the fees that the bank will hit your account with. I have seen this a number of times at the banks I work with her in NY - do not be foolish.

:rolleyes:

take it from someone who has been scammed out of $2,300 USD almost the same way,,,via western union after you have cashed the check....this is a scam, i would like to shout it out to make my point but shouting is rude....again, this is a scam, please do not get involved. Peace, ehtically_vegan

This is a common scam, the check is probably fake

Scam. Just delete the message. C'mon everyone these days have got cash flow problems on some sort, no one has got cash to pay such a huge sum.

I got an idea, if you don't want to delete the message and have a bit of fun, play along and say you'll wait for the cheque to clear and then the arrangements can go ahead, then see the response you'll get, if any. :D

Thanks everyone for the fast replies. So I guess I gotta get back to my sublet occupant search...
    Thanks again,
    Eugene

All you ever have to do is look and see if it involves you sending anybody any money. If so, it's a scam.

The last one of these I got from trying to rent out a house, I sent the guy "419" in 120-point type.

9. 04-22-2007, 11:16 AM

Re: Is this a scam?? Please help quickly, thank yo

Just to let you know, I got the same exact e-mail. I'm so glad to see that someone dealt with the same thing I am. My fiance told me to look deeper into the matter and I found your article. I told him my address and phone number, but I'm not going to do anything with whatever the person sends to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mjbenson View Post
    Jbut I'm not going to do anything with whatever the person sends to me.
    Good idea. Presenting a check that you know or suspect to be fraudulent is a felony. Don't even deposit it to "see if it is good" - that's still a felony.

Eugene: This is definitely a scam. It uses Western Union to forward excess money that you didn't take out. Notice how much more money you were sent that you needed. Well that money is going on to the scammers and when the counterfit M.O. comes back your bank will hold you liable and take your money from your account. Did you learn something new today. I have been there too, that's how I know. But I'm afraid I lost my money.:frustrated::frustrated::zx11pissed:

I hope you didn't put your email on the ad directly, or you are definitely on a list and will get SCAMMED later or scammy emails.

SCAM! Hey--I received the same email...THE SAME EXACT WORDING - well....Almost...I will not be sending this person my Name, Address, or Phone number! BIG TIME SCAM!

"Hello,

Thank you for your swift response.I am so much interested the Apt.

I will like to make an upfront payment for the first( 2 ) months rent and deposit in other to secure the room before her arrival on the 31st of October 2008.

My staff's name is xxx xxxxxxxx (Female, 23 years old) She works as a marketing executive to my company in Quality fabrics and textile INC. in
    London, UK.

She is a responsible, approachable and matured individual. She is neat,a non-smoker and an easy going professional.

I will be sending you a US cashier's check of $4000 which i will write payable to your name and which is cash able at your bank.

I am sending you that much money because i am out of the country at the moment and my staff will be in need of physical cash in order to arrange her flight ticket and shop for other necessary things to take along to the States.

So as soon as you receive the cashier's check, take it to the bank and cash it, deduct the rent payment for the first ( 2 ) months rent, deposit and other Western Union charges then you can send the balance down to my staff through WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER so that she can buy her ticket and other necessary items that will be useful during her training pro-gramme.

Send me your full name,contact address and cell phone number so that i can write the check payable to your name.

The check will be mailed to you as soon as possible by fed-ex.

Hope to hear from you as soon as possible,
    Thanks very much and God bless you.
    Warmest Regards,
    xxxxxxx xxxxxx

This is a scam.There are hundreds of emails like this come to my inbox. I have also seen this exact email in my inbox.Its definite scam. Don't care much about this and waste your time.:spin2:

Scam, wow how clever of them. They wanted me to tutor a daughter to learn English.

Amaazing that they can find so many situations to use this basic scam. If they applied this creativity to real endevors wouldn't they be successful.

Scam for sure, stay away. I know it is frustrating that people do that but that is just how it goes. Find someone in your local area to rent it and post some flyers somewhere or just ask around to some friends or something.
    Affiliate Success Secrets - $67 Value - Free Download
    Traffic Getting Software
    Make Money On Squidoo - 4 Awesome Ebooks - $7 - This is a steal...
    $150/day online in 8 steps - Free guide Right Here...

I just wanted to let everyone know that I got a very similarly worded email. Here's part of it:

My staff's name is Faith Anderson (female, 23 years old) she works as a
    marketing executive to my company in Quality fabrics and textile INC.
    in London, UK. She is a responsible, approachable and martured
    individual. She is neat, a non-smoker and an easy going professional.
    She is a lover of sports esp basketball,football and athletics.
    She speaks Englisg fluently with a little bit of french.
    You can reach her on [email protected].
    I actually emailed them back to see if really was a scam, and they replied back! But the person called "Faith Anderson" actually responded!

But they refused to talk on the phone or give references or anything.

Thanks everyone!