+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Show & Tell vs The Art of Selling

What exactly is the function of a MLM distributor?

1.) Are they mediators between a product supply warehouse and and end user/consumer?
    1a.) Are their interests tied in with the company by way of getting the most products they can into the hands of as many consumers as they can via sales; or are their interests more in line with getting people into a business of sharing a business opportunity?
    1b.) At what point does a product become MORE than the necessary requirement to be in business and stand on its own; and what should the MLM distribtor focus his/her attention on? The opportunity or the product?

Are distributors nothing more than unpaid company facilitators for distributor acquisition and training, or are they contracted to sell products?

Do MLM's in general only pay lip service to their products for the sake of getting people in, or are the products and product innovation at the forefront of the business?

Is MLM a recruiting gig or a sales gig? Why?

Thoughts?

Re: Show & Tell vs The Art of Selling

Quote Originally Posted by bibleman View Post

1.) Are they mediators between a product supply warehouse and and end user/consumer?
    1a.) Are their interests tied in with the company by way of getting the most products they can into the hands of as many consumers as they can via sales; or are their interests more in line with getting people into a business of sharing a business opportunity?
    1b.) At what point does a product become MORE than the necessary requirement to be in business and stand on its own; and what should the MLM distribtor focus his/her attention on? The opportunity or the product?

Are distributors nothing more than unpaid company facilitators for distributor acquisition and training, or are they contracted to sell products?

Do MLM's in general only pay lip service to their products for the sake of getting people in, or are the products and product innovation at the forefront of the business?

Thoughts?
    The function of a distributor is to promote sales of the company's products. They can do this by selling products themselves or by building a network of consumers and/or retailers.
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

Quote Originally Posted by bibleman View Post

Thoughts?
    It depends on which MLM you are in. In my experience with Amway, the recruitment presentations were about dreams, early retirement and the hope of untold wealth.

But to accomplish that, you needed to "go diamond". In order to achieve diamond, you needed downline. Thus there is much emphasis on recruiting, which is also much of what is taught at seminars and functions.

I believe Amway is a recruiting gig for the most part. There might be some rogue IBO's who focus on sales but they would be the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Joecool44 View Post
    It depends on which MLM you are in. In my experience with Amway, the recruitment presentations were about dreams, early retirement and the hope of untold wealth.

But to accomplish that, you needed to "go diamond". In order to achieve diamond, you needed downline. Thus there is much emphasis on recruiting, which is also much of what is taught at seminars and functions.

I believe Amway is a recruiting gig for the most part. There might be some rogue IBO's who focus on sales but they would be the exceptions.
    If you wish to be successful and earn a large, residual income, the only way to do it is to build a network, nothing sinister or illegal about it.
    It can be compared to a one man burger shop against McD's. Which business will earn the most money?
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDoyle View Post
    If you wish to be successful and earn a large, residual income, the only way to do it is to build a network, nothing sinister or illegal about it.
    It can be compared to a one man burger shop against McD's. Which business will earn the most money?
    I think the key point is what is "pushed" from above. Recruit or sell? From what I hear Amway pushes recruit way more than sell. If all you have is a bunch of IBOs buying toothpaste and soap for themselves in your down line no one is going to make any real money.

the other day I asked how many it would take to make real money as in full time income. One answer I got was 500 in the down line to make 3k a month. That is a crazy number to only make 36k a year. Barley above the US poverty line for a family. Certainly well below what any professional would consider a full time income.

Quote Originally Posted by tomInAustin View Post
    I think the key point is what is "pushed" from above. Recruit or sell? From what I hear Amway pushes recruit way more than sell. If all you have is a bunch of IBOs buying toothpaste and soap for themselves in your down line no one is going to make any real money.

the other day I asked how many it would take to make real money as in full time income. One answer I got was 500 in the down line to make 3k a month. That is a crazy number to only make 36k a year. Barley above the US poverty line for a family. Certainly well below what any professional would consider a full time income.

MLM business model = a lot of people doing a little.

If you replace the word "recruit" for the word "sell " and "IBO" with "customer" you will see it is effectively interchangeable. You have to view the IBO as your customer.

Quote Originally Posted by noagenda View Post
    If you replace the word "recruit" for the word "sell " and "IBO" with "customer" you will see it is effectively interchangeable. You have to view the IBO as your customer.
    I've always thought of an IBO as both a customer and a business builder....that's how I regard myself.

Quote Originally Posted by noagenda View Post
    My point is having a few people under you buying their own soap is not a valid business plan business.

My point is having a few people under you buying their own soap is not a valid business plan business.
    But having a few under you buying their own soap, plus some soap for a few family/friend customers, then building and helping others to do the same is a very valid business plan.

And the results speak for themselves.

If people can't even sell product, how will they sell the opportunity?

And the results speak for themselves.

If people can't even sell product, how will they sell the opportunity?
    Best not to do either IMO. Find out what people want then show them how to get it. Beats selling anything.

Best not to do either IMO. Find out what people want then show them how to get it. Beats selling anything.
    The method you describe is not a hard sell but bottom line it's still a method of selling something.

The method you describe is not a hard sell but bottom line it's still a method of selling something.
    Not really, if you tell me your fence is broken and I tell you I know how to mend it and will come round and show you how to do it, where's the selling?

Not really, if you tell me your fence is broken and I tell you I know how to mend it and will come round and show you how to do it, where's the selling?

That's kind of a bad example......unless you sold fencing materials or were a contractor who installs them.

In that case, you would be selling the person on some fence.

Sorry, but, finding out what people want is a sales technique.
    It's called "consultative sales".

The aim of marketing is to know and understand the
    customer so well the product or service fits him and sells itself.

~ Peter F. Drucker
    PS, FYI, in MLM/DS, it works really, really well.
    Last edited by ohein56; 07-18-2013 at 10:16 AM.
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard