+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Coming to America

I'm coming to the USA!!

Flights are booked, my passport is up to date, and the time is fast approaching that I will be trekking almost a full 180 degrees around the globe and landing in the United States of America.

I'll be landing in New York on the 25th of June. I'm then visiting a friend in Boston, will maybe visit Buffalo or Portland, then back to New York where I'm meeting my travelling companions on July 4th (woohoo!).

So we spend a few days in New York, then its down to Washington and across to Chicago. From there we fly to Las Vegas on the 22nd of July or so. A few days in Las Vegas, then probably San Francisco, down the coast to Los Angeles and we fly out of LA on the 4th of August.

So why am I telling you all this? Two reasons.

First and foremost: If anyone happens to live in one of these areas and wants to catch up for a beer, send me a PM, we'll work something out. There are heaps of you that I would love to catch up with.

Second: I know almost nothing about the United States, so if you can make any suggestions about places to see, cities I should visit/not visit, tourist attractions, good bars/clubs, people, places... anything at all, it would be very, very much appreciated. Even if it's just the name of a really fun pub you went to once in New York, it would really help us plan the trip.

Hooroo, and I'll see you soon USA!

Re: Coming to America

The closest you'll be to me is Chicago... approx. 300 miles. That's a tad out-of-the-way :( So instead... I'll wish you a safe, fun trip. :)

kazza, have a good trip...
    For me, to visit United States is a very hard problem, because the interlocution in the US embassy (for entrance visa) looks like a receiving of access to top secret documents... :D

Please don't shoot the piano player, he's doing the best he can.

Author’s emoticons KOLOBOK-Style

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM
    The closest you'll be to me is Chicago... approx. 300 miles. That's a tad out-of-the-way :( So instead... I'll wish you a safe, fun trip. :)
    Thats too bad, maybe next time.

Thanks for the good wishes Paul :)

Quote Originally Posted by BiR
    For me, to visit United States is a very hard problem, because the interlocution in the US embassy (for entrance visa) looks like a receiving of access to top secret documents... :D
    I can imagine. I have a friend from Nepal applying to become a resident of Australia. After months of collecting documents (he had several hundred pages of paperwork in total) he finally submits it to the authorities and they tell him its at least a 9 month wait until he finds out if he's been accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by kazza
    I can imagine. I have a friend from Nepal applying to become a resident of Australia. After months of collecting documents (he had several hundred pages of paperwork in total) he finally submits it to the authorities and they tell him its at least a 9 month wait until he finds out if he's been accepted.
    Oh my God! Do you wanna say that Australia is such a bureaucratic country like United States? If I'll want to meet my friend Gazza, I must wait about 9 month? :eek: Hmmm... during this time a woman can give birth to child.. :rolleyes: And then to jog during 17 -19 hours in the plane... :D I'm in shock... :D

Oh my God! Do you wanna say that Australia is such a bureaucratic country like United States? If I'll want to meet my friend Gazza, I must wait about 9 month? :eek: Hmmm... during this time a woman can give birth to child.. :rolleyes: And then to jog during 17 -19 hours in the plane... :D I'm in shock... :D
    No, not quite as bad as the US. He's an engineer and he's already here for a year, but he wants to become a resident, meaning he can stay here permanently. I'm not sure what its like to just to get in here for a visit, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was as bad here as in the US.

I don't know about US embassy in Australia but in Russia, if I've never been abroad and in my passport is clear, i.e. without any checks, I haven't a chance to visit USA. So, if I'll want to see this country, I must to visit another country before it...

Well, Vegas is 500 miles from here - BUT July 24th is a state holiday in Utah and I desperately need a vacation from work. I've been wanting to go to Vegas but my husband doesn't want to go. (I might end up going with a friend or something.) So I might actually be in Vegas when you are. I've been there a few times, but not since I've turned 21.

Quote Originally Posted by lisan23
    Well, Vegas is 500 miles from here - BUT July 24th is a state holiday in Utah and I desperately need a vacation from work. I've been wanting to go to Vegas but my husband doesn't want to go. (I might end up going with a friend or something.) So I might actually be in Vegas when you are. I've been there a few times, but not since I've turned 21.
    Now that would be awesome. That's right about the time we are going to be there, I'll remember that, and I'll be in touch closer to the date :) :) (We can teach you Americans how to party :D)

Quote Originally Posted by kazza
    I'm coming to the USA!!

Flights are booked, my passport is up to date, and the time is fast approaching that I will be trekking almost a full 180 degrees around the globe and landing in the United States of America.

I'll be landing in New York on the 25th of June. I'm then visiting a friend in Boston, will maybe visit Buffalo or Portland, then back to New York where I'm meeting my travelling companions on July 4th (woohoo!).

So we spend a few days in New York, then its down to Washington and across to Chicago. From there we fly to Las Vegas on the 22nd of July or so. A few days in Las Vegas, then probably San Francisco, down the coast to Los Angeles and we fly out of LA on the 4th of August.

So why am I telling you all this? Two reasons.

First and foremost: If anyone happens to live in one of these areas and wants to catch up for a beer, send me a PM, we'll work something out. There are heaps of you that I would love to catch up with.

Second: I know almost nothing about the United States, so if you can make any suggestions about places to see, cities I should visit/not visit, tourist attractions, good bars/clubs, people, places... anything at all, it would be very, very much appreciated. Even if it's just the name of a really fun pub you went to once in New York, it would really help us plan the trip.

Hooroo, and I'll see you soon USA!
    Wow...what do you do for a living that you can take a month of vaction in a different country? What's your secret...I hope you have fun. There are fun things to do here but of course the big cities can be a bit cumbersome. I would suggest you visit an old south city like Charleston, SC or Savannah GA. It's old, it's pretty and there are plenty of places to party. I'm a bit partial to the south. ;) but I know your plans are keeping you up north. At least it won't be scorching hot, except for maybe in Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by Button
    Wow...what do you do for a living that you can take a month of vaction in a different country? What's your secret...I hope you have fun. There are fun things to do here but of course the big cities can be a bit cumbersome. I would suggest you visit an old south city like Charleston, SC or Savannah GA. It's old, it's pretty and there are plenty of places to party. I'm a bit partial to the south. ;) but I know your plans are keeping you up north. At least it won't be scorching hot, except for maybe in Vegas.
    Lol. I'm a student, I hardly work at all during semester, and I work as much as I can on holidays. I can't afford this trip but I'm doing it anyways :) We're staying in hostels, travelling by bus, buying food at the supermarket...

We were initially planning to travel across the south, but its just so far. We only have a month and we want to fit in as much as possible. It was going to be a full three days travel time on a bus to get from the east to the west, so we had to cut the south out of it. Next time I come I'll be sure to visit.

Hey Kazza,

I live in Vermont, but my folks live just 8 miles west of Boston, and I visit them as often as possible, so, if nothing else, I have an extensive list of bars and clubs (mostly bars) that you (or anyone) would love!! I would love to hoist a couple with you, I will PM you at some point soon! Oh, BTW, if you can only visit one Buffalo, or Portland, I would suggest Portland, specifically the Stone Coast Brewery, in Portland. Great food, many great in house brewed adult bevie's, pool (billiards), darts, and live music, all under one roof...well more later...

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by jigglepete
    Hey Kazza,

I live in Vermont, but my folks live just 8 miles west of Boston, and I visit them as often as possible, so, if nothing else, I have an extensive list of bars and clubs (mostly bars) that you (or anyone) would love!! I would love to hoist a couple with you, I will PM you at some point soon! Oh, BTW, if you can only visit one Buffalo, or Portland, I would suggest Portland, specifically the Stone Coast Brewery, in Portland. Great food, many great in house brewed adult bevie's, pool (billiards), darts, and live music, all under one roof...well more later...

Pete
    Hey that sounds awesome mate. Look forward to it, hopefully we'll be able to catch up for a beer. Portland's actually what I was leaning towards, since I'm going to Boston anyway and it's much closer than Buffalo.

Cheers,
    John

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work... User Rank

Boris, that is wrong plan... Fly to Mexico, cross the border into Juarez, Mexico. LEt me know and I will come and pick you up by car.
    We now have over 20 millions undocumented Mexicans here in our country that have said: 'passport? $hhhhiiiitttt, damn gringos [white americans] we will just walk into your country. To hell with the formalities!'

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work... User Rank

Kazza - since you're a student; I see you say you are going to 'pass' on the South this time. understand... time and money, two critical considerations.
    However, in the future, consider visiting, solely, Austin, Texas, the hometown of the University of Texas and several other universities & colleges. A large student and professor social base there. As well, some of the finest and originnal western and folk-music entertainment center in the entire u.s.a. Well worth the trip and there is more to do than you will have time, so you wont be bored. The people are really sociable, friendly and lots of pretty girls. Also there are a lot of 'Aussie' living permanently there. I worked for one some years ago when I worked for a corporation in Austin.
    If you could make it for a 'Rainbow' outing or 'Burning-man, that would be a hoot!
    Then, another time, travel to the State of Florida. Go down to Tampa, St. Petersburg area, travel down the coast to Venice, Punt Gorda, Ft Meyers and Naples, then across to Miami. Certainly a 'bit of heaven there. Lots of sun, good food, drink and companionship and some of the whitest beaches in the world. Unbelievable they are - looks like snow, blinding white in the sun.
    Anyhow, have a good trip. I am too far south for you. Another 200 miles South and you would be at the Gulf Of Mexico.
    Last edited by coontie; 04-20-2007 at 09:51 AM.