+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

String Theory (the Ultimate)

Even with a moderatly high IQ, trying to read through all of the different theories on the string theory makes my head feel as if it will explode. It seems as if each one contradicts the last. I usually need to read them a few times to actually compute what they are saying. I am very interested and totally fasinated by these theories but even with a strong science back ground these are not easy concepts to grasp at times!

Does anyone know a specific website or any where I can research with a through and yes easy to understand explination of the most recent theory, STRING THEORY FOR DUMMIES MAYBE.........
    :(

Re: String Theory (the Ultimate)

Quote Originally Posted by SLIPPYSKE
    Even with a moderatly high IQ, trying to read through all of the different theories on the string theory makes my head feel as if it will explode. It seems as if each one contradicts the last. I usually need to read them a few times to actually compute what they are saying. I am very interested and totally fasinated by these theories but even with a strong science back ground these are not easy concepts to grasp at times!

Does anyone know a specific website or any where I can research with a through and yes easy to understand explination of the most recent theory, STRING THEORY FOR DUMMIES MAYBE.........
    :(
    I've a moderatly high IQ too but not much science training. But I enjoy when someone explains such theories to me. If you get anywhere let some of us laymen know.
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    I've a moderatly high IQ too but not much science training. But I enjoy when someone explains such theories to me. If you get anywhere let some of us laymen know.
    Well there was a PBS special I saw about a year ago and it was like a light bulb went off and I totally understood, they had a brilliant way of explaining
    the many theories and how they off set each other and will eventually help prove each other since most scientist agree almost all of the theories are right to a certain degree.

As I said, I totally understood at the moment but as soon as I tried to express my excitement and knowledge, I totally lost it and could not piece back together even one of the theories to explain it. I have tried to locate the 2 hour special but I can't and it is killing me...when I find it I will send it straight to you, when you watch it, it will seem so easy to understand and so obviously logical you will be amazed!(but apparently you need to watch it several times to really retain it...hahaha)

Do you have a background in physics or maths?

If not string theory is probably going to be a bit over your head, but I can recommend some much better and equally fascinating areas to look at.

I'm not qualified to judge, but from what I hear people saying around the department at uni, and people visiting from overseas as well, string theory appears to have been no more than a useful excercise. Outside of the USA people are not working on it anymore. It seems to be the consensus that it provided a lot of new mathematics, and new ways of looking at physics, but its not actually real and even if it was there's no way to test it so it may as well not be.

Quote Originally Posted by kazza
    Do you have a background in physics or maths?

If not string theory is probably going to be a bit over your head, but I can recommend some much better and equally fascinating areas to look at.

I'm not qualified to judge, but from what I hear people saying around the department at uni, and people visiting from overseas as well, string theory appears to have been no more than a useful excercise. Outside of the USA people are not working on it anymore. It seems to be the consensus that it provided a lot of new mathematics, and new ways of looking at physics, but its not actually real and even if it was there's no way to test it so it may as well not be.
    No formal studies but I can grasp quite clearly the concept, my problem is I did not T'vo the special I described below, I really needed a few more times of viewing it to totally retain it, that is a lot to take in, compute and retain in one sitting. It was so clear as I was watching it.

Well there was a PBS special I saw about a year ago and it was like a light bulb went off and I totally understood, they had a brilliant way of explaining
    the many theories and how they off set each other and will eventually help prove each other since most scientist agree almost all of the theories are right to a certain degree.

As I said, I totally understood at the moment but as soon as I tried to express my excitement and knowledge, I totally lost it and could not piece back together even one of the theories to explain it. I have tried to locate the 2 hour special but I can't and it is killing me...when I find it I will send it straight to you, when you watch it, it will seem so easy to understand and so obviously logical you will be amazed!(but apparently you need to watch it several times to really retain it...hahaha)

String theory started in in China. Eventually, the Italians got hold of it. By the time it got to the US, it got quite a bit better. We added meatballs. Then Brian Greene wrote a few good books on the subject. I would recommend laymen start with these.

Quote Originally Posted by phlipper
    String theory started in in China. Eventually, the Italians got hold of it. By the time it got to the US, it got quite a bit better. We added meatballs. Then Brian Greene wrote a few good books on the subject. I would recommend laymen start with these.
    String theory is proof of intelligent design. Who else could create such a thing but his holiness of holinesses, the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

I forgot to ask, have you learned anything about Quantum Mechanics Slippy? If not, I think you'll find it as, if not more, fascinating than string theory. Its probably the most bizarre concept you'll ever encounter, and yet it's all real.

Then Brian Greene wrote a few good books on the subject. I would recommend laymen start with these.
    Absolutely, Brian Greene's books are great. They tend to be more holistic than just string theory, as in they are about QM and GM and others, but they're very good. Even for people active or studying in the fields they are very useful and interesting history lessons.

all theories have this in common?they "string" you along?strike a "chord"?the "vibration"of harmony realized?the tickle of eternal happiness?the "vibrator" of personal pleasure?hehe!!......just askn...

Quote Originally Posted by SLIPPYSKE

I really miss the late Carl Sagan. He was always so good at putting science speak into english for the rest of us without losing the guts of the whole theory. Not an easy thing to do.

Ok smart guy. How do you explain lasagna? :cool:

1 pkg Extra-Dimentional Membranes(about 1lb)
    1/4 cup Gluons
    3 Qts Luminiferous Ether(Phantom brand works best)

Pour Ether and Gluons into a 50,000,000 cubic parsec sauce pan(Membranes will expand, when cooked) and bring to boil.
    Drop in package of Membranes(stand back a few light years)
    That's it

(cooking time approx 10^-26 seconds)

I really miss the late Carl Sagan. He was always so good at putting science speak into english for the rest of us without losing the guts of the whole theory. Not an easy thing to do.
    i think your right on this one!?and IT eventually killed him!?the closer ya get to truth!?the closer ya get to.....bein eliminated!?some kinda universal law!?hehe!!....just askn...

1 pkg Extra-Dimentional Membranes(about 1lb)
    1/4 cup Gluons
    3 Qts Luminiferous Ether(Phantom brand works best)

Pour Ether and Gluons into a 50,000,000 cubic parsec sauce pan(Membranes will expand, when cooked) and bring to boil.
    Drop in package of Membranes(stand back a few light years)
    That's it

(cooking time approx 10^-26 seconds)
    you FORGOT to explain.......WHO's holdin the SAUCE PAN!?you SPICY meataball you lover you!?hehe!!....just askn...

SOPHIA LOREN does it for me!?MAMA MIA!?makes my pecker a gregoryarousal spectical of preposterous considerations!?and sells a lotta pasta/sauce to BOOT!?where's the VINO!?i'm all outa vino!?hehe!!....just askn...