+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Baptist Church Is A Scam

I recently started going to a Baptist church on the weekends and love the people, the music, the energy, and their incredible attention to detail to the children.

But now after a few months I started noticing they are too fixated on the LITERAL bible, word for word for word. It's too much for me. How can you be so narrow minded on a book created with flaws, contradictions, and by men with a specific agenda? Don't get me wrong, the Bible is awesome as a general , even though I am more of a Nag Hammadi gnostic style guy. The Baptists are almost too N a z i-ish and strict about the actual words in the Bible and to me that's a sign of weak minded people.

You can't build a church on quicksand. And in my opinion the Baptist church did the same thing. It's own founder, John Smyth even left the religion he founded when he joined the Mennonites. That’s right – Johnny Smyth had so little faith in his own creation that he abandoned it. In addition, he tried to convince as many of his congregation as possible to abandon the baptist church – and a majority of them did.:1crysad::1crysad::1crysad:
    Last edited by Administrator; 07-03-2013 at 07:33 AM.

Re: The Baptist Church Is A Scam

It is very hateful to make the statement, the Baptist Church is a scam.

You are insulting so many people who have faith in this particular religion.

The Baptist World Alliance reports more than 41 million members in more than 150,000 congregations.[6] In 2002, there were over 100 million Baptists and Baptistic group members worldwide and over 33 million in North America.[4] The largest Baptist association is the Southern Baptist Convention, with the membership of associated churches totaling more than 16 million.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baptists
    Last edited by Tulip; 07-03-2013 at 01:43 PM.

I complimented it on its attributes and made an opinion on its flaws. Sorry if you are offended. It is simply an opinion based on observation and historical facts.

Smyth leaving the organization he founded is like Jesus converting to Muslim.

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    I complimented it on its attributes and made an opinion on its flaws. Sorry if you are offended. It is simply an opinion based on observation and historical facts.

I'm not offended.
    Merely pointing out the topic is hateful.

I have attended Southern Baptist church services.
    Not for me at all.

I don't enjoy discussing religion.

Just wanted to point out, saying the Baptist church is a scam, is being hateful.

Also want to say, all Baptist churches are not the same. But you may attend twenty different Baptist churches and still not enjoy the service.

Try something else, lots of variety for all.

yah, at least HITLER didn't leave, he died in his BUNKER!? go down with the SHIP of PROMISE cause you STARTED IT!? ing1::bah::yelcutelaughA::
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

I recently started going to a Baptist church on the weekends and love the people, the music, the energy, and their incredible attention to detail to the children.

But now after a few months I started noticing they are too fixated on the LITERAL bible, word for word for word. It's too much for me. How can you be so narrow minded on a book created with flaws, contradictions, and by men with a specific agenda? Don't get me wrong, the Bible is awesome as a general , even though I am more of a Nag Hammadi gnostic style guy. The Baptists are almost too N a z i-ish and strict about the actual words in the Bible and to me that's a sign of weak minded people.

You can't build a church on quicksand. And in my opinion the Baptist church did the same thing. It's own founder, John Smyth even left the religion he founded when he joined the Mennonites. That’s right – Johnny Smyth had so little faith in his own creation that he abandoned it. In addition, he tried to convince as many of his congregation as possible to abandon the baptist church – and a majority of them did.:1crysad::1crysad::1crysad:

Na. You want to see legalism in the church, visit the non denominational full gospel (pentacostal) churches of the world.

Baptists take a lot out of context and read into things.

Look up the holiness doctrine.

Baptists are mellow.

And even if they weren't, their "once saved, always saved" doctrine allows for the inescapableness of God's grace, once bestowed.

Since all men are sinners and therefor in need of salvation....and even after usherance into the Law of Grace, they are sinners still, yet saved by Christ, a Baptist believes that nothing they do from salvation onward, no matter how bad, will separate them from that Grace, and eternity in heaven.

Yep. Pretty easy-going if you ask me.

Compare that to the pentacostal who believes that you could be saved, and filled with the holy ghost, yet you make a bad decision and make the mistake of looking on a woman to lust after her while crossing a road one day and get run over before you have a chance to ask God for forgiveness, and you STILL even after salvation and spirit filling, will be judged with death and hell.

Which is the easy going one?
    Last edited by bibleman; 07-05-2013 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bibleman View Post
    Compare that to the pentacostal who believes that you could be saved, and filled with the holy ghost, yet you make a bad decision and make the mistake of looking on a woman to lust after her while crossing a road one day and get run over before you have a chance to ask God for forgiveness, and you STILL even after salvation and spirit filling, will be judged with death and hell.

Which is the easy going one?
    I attend a Pentacostal church. It's not a mistake that will lose your salvation. The church doctrine is that because man has free will, he can choose to turn from God, backslide and be lost.

In the parable of the prodigal son, the father waited for his son and he was eager to greet his son when he returned. The son returned on his own however. The father did not go and drag the son back home.

Quote Originally Posted by Joecool44 View Post
    I attend a Pentacostal church. It's not a mistake that will lose your salvation. The church doctrine is that because man has free will, he can choose to turn from God, backslide and be lost.

In the parable of the prodigal son, the father waited for his son and he was eager to greet his son when he returned. The son returned on his own however. The father did not go and drag the son back home.

Good Lord, Joecool! All this agreeing in one day is making me dizzy! :spin2:

I wasn't saying that holiness doctrine is not biblical.

I was saying that Baptists are too liberal.

The bible clearly shows that a person can walk away from God. Baptists, however, choose to ignore these passages, gloss them over, or skew them to match their doctrine of unconditional eternal salvation.

And what exactly constitutes "mistakes" and full scale "backsliding" and all the semantics that go with all that vary by the church one attends.

The Assembly of God church is very mellow compared to others out there (not saying that's where you go).

But if you steal a penny or you steal a million dollars, you're still a thief.
    If you drink a beer, but 5 get's you drunk........well, you're 1/5th drunk.

Thieves and drunkards will not enter into heaven.

If you look on a woman to lust after her, you have committed fornication. Fornicators will not enter the kingdom of God.

On and on.........
    Last edited by bibleman; 07-06-2013 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iamwil View Post
    Imagine there's no heaven.....

No hell down below us, above us only sky.

We believe hell and heaven are metaphorical and you put yourself in one or the other right here on earth....personal responsiblity.... no devil to blame....any little voice telling us to do wrong....IS in our head. And can't be blamed on any fictitious citter....we aren't punished for our sins but by them.....and we are born not sinners but perfect creations....as G!d don't make no mistakes!

Very little of that could be backed up by the bible.....and what little could, would be taken out of context.

I'm not saying I believe any of it. Only that the bible says what the bible says - good, bad, right, or wrong....

Are you a Unitarian?

Goodness......

I could break all that down and throw it back, but I won't.

Whatever, man.

All I will say is that I don't believe the bible is really a Word of God. It is full of holes, is not historically sound, advocates for all sort of bad practices, etc.....

So on that we can agree.

To the rest, subjectively I suppose you've found your own truth. And then overlain it with bits of bible you find agreeable.
    *shrugs*
    This reminds me of Cnance's dreams.

Actually I found that the various denominations were all lacking....for me...and then I was told to check out Unity, and every city I visit....I can now walkin on Sunday and find a group of people that believe in Christ within all, and are living lives to promote peace in our world...I like that...

Maybe the Admin should quit the Baptist church and visit one of yours for a better experience....

....many come thinking/hearing we are some lovey/dovey, nambie/pambie everything is roses church....

I was thinking more along the lines of "God is in everything and everything is a part of God" which would make it hard(er) to explain a difference between this doctrine and pagan tradition/"new age."

In many respects the church-no matter what the denomination is--is a POOR MAN"s COUNTRY CLUB. the Baptist church along with other 'middle class denominations"( eg Methodists, Assemblies of God,Community chruch) really function as a 'social vehicle" for most families. In your case try something else.try Bahai faith. it gets into other thoughts such as New Age and Eastern beliefs. also try Unity church it also gets into New Age along with Christianity. it may be you do not need a rigid 'family church" that indoctrinates all. :judges:

It is all biblically backed.1. God is all good and active in everything, everywhere.

2. I am naturally good because God's Divinity is in me and in everyone.

3. I create my experiences by what I choose to think and what I feel and believe.

4. Through affirmative prayer and meditation, I connect with God and bring out the good in my life.

5. I do and give my best by living the Truth I know. I make a difference!
    Actually, based on the Bible, because of man's original sin, we are not naturally good. We are inherently bad. Some of of sin - daily at times. We cannot avoid it. Jesus taught in the Beatitudes that lusting in your heart is adultery. That anger in your heart is murder.

Thus we need Jesus as he atones for our sins. That allows us to be viewed as holy in God's eyes. Doing your best and living a good life is a good thing, but insufficient in God's eyes. Jesus is the only way to salvation.

*This is all based on the Bible.

I'll add....I find the entire bible agreeable....some has to be read as parables, some parts allegorical, some mythological and metaphysical....but I'll find value in every book!
    so what do you call this part......."do not eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil for surely you will die"!? i think that's how it goes!? and what does it MEAN to you!? :chicken:::crazy1:
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

There is no original sin....this was made up during a council at nicea...a fist fight occurred....

Simple...j e ws wrote the books, j e ws don't believe it. Now if you'd like to discuss chapter and verse where and how you determine this.....let us discuss.

A couple things though, not in history, nor archeology, nor science, nor social events do we allow any book be its own authority.

Lastly...if you are speaking of the allegorical garden where snakes talk to people, and there is an allegorical adam and an allegorical eve.....who ate an allegorical apple when being told by an omniscient G!d not too?? Really, the all knowing G!d told them not to eat the apple, and then was surprised and punished them when they did what he knew they would do??? Really???
    what if you and your wife/lover are adam and eve!? each male born and his partner the same!? adam and eve repeated on each birth and mating!? just an idea i have tossed around!? :crazy1: : :spin2: