+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help Wanted!

Help Wanted!

White House seeks war "czar" for Iraq
    April 11, 2007
    By Tabassum Zakaria
    2 hours, 51 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Help Wanted: White House seeks high-profile manager of wars in Iraq and Afghanistan to coordinate competing agencies and make sure President George W. Bush's unpopular strategy is implemented.

In a tradition of presidential trouble-shooting, the White House is considering creating a "war czar" post in the National Security Council and has put out feelers to some retired generals to see if they would be interested.

But no takers so far. The Washington Post said at least three retired four-star generals approached by the White House in recent weeks had turned down the position.

Retired Marine Gen. John "Jack" Sheehan, a former top NATO commander who rejected the White House overture, told the Post: "The very fundamental issue is, they don't know where the hell they're going."

After U.S. intelligence agencies came under fire for failures related to the September 11 attacks and Iraq, an "intelligence czar" was created as recommended by the 9/11 Commission.

The U.S. government also has a "drug czar" to oversee efforts to fight illegal drugs.

The "war czar" would report directly to Bush and national security adviser Stephen Hadley and coordinate policy with agencies including the Pentagon and the State Department, which at times have their own competing agendas.

Sheehan also told the Post he thought Vice President Dick Cheney's hawkish war views continued to dominate administration policy. Retired Army Gen. Jack Keane and retired Air Force Gen. Joseph Ralston were also approached and said they were not interested, the newspaper said.

A majority of Americans favor a Democratic plan to begin withdrawing troops from Iraq, according to a recent Newsweek poll. Bush, who has insisted that he is the "decider" on matters of war, rejects setting a timetable for pulling out forces and is sending more troops to try to secure Baghdad.

In Afghanistan, fighting against a resurgent Taliban is expected to be heavy this year, and 2006 was the most violent year since U.S. led forces ousted the Taliban in 2001.

The White House was considering having someone at the National Security Council of a "slightly higher profile that can help cut through bureaucracy and make sure that these policies are being implemented," spokeswoman Dana Perino said.

The consideration follows the resignation of Meghan O'Sullivan, the top NSC official on Iraq and Afghanistan, and the completion of strategic reviews on the two conflicts, Perino said. She said no decisions had been made.

Rep. Rahm Emanuel, an Illinois Democrat, sniped at the White House for considering a war-czar post, saying that was Bush's role as military commander-in-chief.

"Someone needs to tell Steve Hadley that position is filled, it's the commander-in-chief, unless the decider's become the delegator," Emanuel said in a statement.

Perino retorted that Democrats who are trying to set a troop withdrawal deadline "think that they are commanders-in-chief."

Re: Help Wanted!

Yeah... I heard this on the news tonight at work while closing up shop. The retired Generals asked had a couple of very interesting comments... like "no coherent strategy" and that it is a position for a loser... stuff like that *lol*

Doesn't the Pentagon or Gates want to run things anymore???

Let's see... the drug czar hasn't stopped the drug traffic... so I guess this means the war czar won't stop the war???

War Czar... a waste of taxpayer $$

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM
    Yeah... I heard this on the news tonight at work while closing up shop. The retired Generals asked had a couple of very interesting comments... like "no coherent strategy" and that it is a position for a loser... stuff like that *lol*

Doesn't the Pentagon or Gates want to run things anymore???

Let's see... the drug czar hasn't stopped the drug traffic... so I guess this means the war czar won't stop the war???

War Czar... a waste of taxpayer $$
    It does demonstrate rather well the weakening influence of Bush though, don't you agree?

Lady Mod

I would agree. Right, wrong or otherwise... it doesn't matter. It looks as though people, in leadership positions, are distancing themselves from him...

Looks to be a bit early. GW won't hit 'official' lame-duck status until next year.
    ================
    The admin seems to be sending mixed messages... first the large demonstrations, in Iraq, calling for us to leave... followed by the admin saying they were a good sign. Now this 'war czar' thing coupled with the surge and the increased tour times.
    Gen. Sheehan is right... "...they don't know where the hell they're going."

Gen. Sheehan is right... "...they don't know where the hell they're going."
    If they had listened to a "liberal" 5 years ago they would have already KNOWN that.
    It would have spared a lot of lives and saved a lot of money. :rolleyes:

LM

Well... you know me. I'm not usually one to shout "liberal" or "conservative". I had my misgivings from the 'get-go' simply because it is/was uncharacteristic of us to do 'first-strikes'. But we did it anyway... half-assed of course & with no plan, but we did it!

Well... you know me. I'm not usually one to shout "liberal" or "conservative". I had my misgivings from the 'get-go' simply because it is/was uncharacteristic of us to do 'first-strikes'. But we did it anyway... half-assed of course & with no plan, but we did it!
    True, true. AND now we are there with NO PLAN to end it and get out either.

I guess we will be there until we have our butts kicked out of the country. And it looks as if it may actually come to that.

Lady Mod

Its pretty bad when the bully on the block cant get anyone to join his gang! :rolleyes:

Quote Originally Posted by goodwitchofthesouth
    Its pretty bad when the bully on the block cant get anyone to join his gang! :rolleyes:

Given enough time and a reason all the rest of the kids will eventually turn on the bully.

All we managed to do over there was to give Osama and company enough time and Al Queda enough reason to get other nations to start turning on us.

Bullies can't remain bullies forever. :rolleyes:

Lady Mod

10. 04-12-2007, 04:15 PM

What is it? 1600 Pensylvania Ave. that I send my resume to for this "war zar" position? I'll take it and fix the whole mess. I did that once in the army. I said, "Either you make me a general or I'm outta here." Oh well. It's been a nice civilian carreer.
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    What is it? 1600 Pensylvania Ave. that I send my resume to for this "war zar" position? I'll take it and fix the whole mess. I did that once in the army. I said, "Either you make me a general or I'm outta here." Oh well. It's been a nice civilian carreer.
    But would you "really" want the job? It looks like it is going to have 'scape-goat' written all over it :eek:

But would you "really" want the job? It looks like it is going to have 'scape-goat' written all over it :eek:
    Yeah, but I could end up a hero. And think of all the money to be made on the speaking circuits once I've "resigned" no matter how much I screw it up. :D

Yeah, but I could end up a hero. And think of all the money to be made on the speaking circuits once I've "resigned" no matter how much I screw it up. :D
    More likely you would end up a Martyr with "traitor" written across your forehead and Rove directing the smear campaign against you.

Lady Mod

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    More likely you would end up a Martyr with "traitor" written across your forehead and Rove directing the smear campaign against you.

Lady Mod
    But I'd probably have my own thread on scam.com. :D

But I'd probably have my own thread on scam.com. :D

LOL, you might even get 4 or 5 at one time!

;)