+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Prius worse for environment than hummer???

I checked on snopes.com about this, but they didn't have anything on it. Anyone from Ontario reading this that can verify?

The Toyota Prius has become the flagship car for those in our society so environmentally conscious that they are willing to spend a premium to show the world how much they care. Unfortunately for them, their ultimate ‘green car’ is the source of some of the worst pollution in North America; it takes more combined energy per Prius to produce than a Hummer. Before we delve into the seedy underworld of hybrids, you must first understand how a hybrid works. For this, we will use the most popular hybrid on the market, the Toyota Prius.

The Prius is powered by not one, but two engines: a standard 76 horsepower, 1.5-liter gas engine found in most cars today and a battery- powered engine that deals out 67 horsepower and a whooping 295ft/lbs of torque, below 2000 revolutions per minute. Essentially, the Toyota Synergy Drive system, as it is so called, propels the car from a dead stop to up to 30mph. This is where the largest percent of gas is consumed. As any physics major can tell you, it takes more energy to get an object moving than to keep it moving. The battery is recharged through the braking system, as well as when the gasoline engine takes over anywhere north of 30mph. It seems like a great energy efficient and environmentally sound car, right?

You would be right if you went by the old government EPA estimates, which netted the Prius an incredible 60 miles per gallon in the city and 51 miles per gallon on the highway. Unfortunately for Toyota, the government realized how unrealistic their EPA tests were, which consisted of highway speeds limited to 55mph and acceleration of only 3.3 mph per second. The new tests which affect all 2008 models give a much more realistic rating with highway speeds of 80mph and acceleration of 8mph per second. This has dropped the Prius’s EPA down by 25 percent to an average of 45mpg. This now puts the Toyota within spitting distance of cars like the Chevy Aveo, which costs less then half what the Prius costs.

However, if that was the only issue with the Prius, I wouldn’t be writing this article. It gets much worse.

Building a Toyota Prius causes more environmental damage than a Hummer that is on the road for three times longer than a Prius. As already noted, the Prius is partly driven by a battery which contains nickel. The nickel is mined and smelted at a plant in Sudbury, Ontario. This plant has caused so much environmental damage to the surrounding environment that NASA has used the ‘dead zone’ around the plant to test moon rovers. The area around the plant is devoid of any life for miles.

The plant is the source of all the nickel found in a Prius’ battery and Toyota purchases 1,000 tons annually. Dubbed the Superstack, the plague-factory has spread sulfur dioxide across northern Ontario, becoming every environmentalist’s nightmare.

“The acid rain around Sudbury was so bad it destroyed all the plants and the soil slid down off the hillside,” said Canadian Greenpeace energy-coordinator David Martin during an interview with Mail, a British-based newspaper.

All of this would be bad enough in and of itself; however, the journey to make a hybrid doesn’t end there. The nickel produced by this disastrous plant is shipped via massive container ship to the largest nickel refinery in Europe. From there, the nickel hops over to China to produce ‘nickel foam.’ From there, it goes to Japan. Finally, the completed batteries are shipped to the United States, finalizing the around-the-world trip required to produce a single Prius battery. Are these not sounding less and less like environmentally sound cars and more like a farce?

Wait, I haven’t even got to the best part yet.

When you pool together all the combined energy it takes to drive and build a Toyota Prius, the flagship car of energy fanatics, it takes almost 50 percent more energy than a Hummer - the Prius’s arch nemesis.

Through a study by CNW Marketing called “Dust to Dust,” the total combined energy is taken from all the electrical, fuel, transportation, materials (metal, plastic, etc) and hundreds of other factors over the expected lifetime of a vehicle. The Prius costs an average of $3.25 per mile driven over a lifetime of 100,000 miles - the expected lifespan of the Hybrid.

The Hummer, on the other hand, costs a more fiscal $1.95 per mile to put on the road over an expected lifetime of 300,000 miles. That means the Hummer will last three times longer than a Prius and use less combined energy doing it.

So, if you are really an environmentalist - ditch the Prius. Instead, buy one of the most economical cars available - a Toyota Scion xB. The Scion only costs a paltry $0.48 per mile to put on the road. If you are still obsessed over gas mileage - buy a Chevy Aveo and fix that lead foot.

One last fun fact for you: it takes five years to offset the premium price of a Prius. Meaning, you have to wait 60 months to save any money over a non-hybrid car because of lower gas expenses.

Re: Prius worse for environment than hummer???

I thought it interesting that you have to own a prius for ten years before you can save enough gas money to offset the extra cost of buying, owning and maintaining the car as apposed to a camry. Not much incentive to buy one.
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

Sounds possible.

We can't honestly rely on the car manufacturers to produce greener cars until they're going to make a profit by doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by kazza
    Sounds possible.

We can't honestly rely on the car manufacturers to produce greener cars until they're going to make a profit by doing so.
    What would a "greener" car do? What would it run on?

I think we need to look at either hydrogen or battery power. As far as the environment is concerned, they are both the same, since they both require electricity. This in itself doesn't cut down greenhouse emissions, since at the moment most of our electricity comes from burning coal, but at least there is a great deal of potential for green electricity.

Perhaps more importantly though, we need smaller cars. I mean, when you think about it, you're burning enough energy to move something that weighs >1 tonne from point A to point B even though the payload is generally only about 80kg. There really is no reason to be driving monster trucks to work and back. I like the look of those little 1 seater, 3 wheeled things.
    Last edited by kazza; 04-12-2007 at 01:28 PM.

Sounds possible.

Why can hardly anybody understand this? And the only way for manufacturers to make that profit is if people buy the things. And that won't happen in great numbers until the price of gasoline rises to astronomical heights. Everytime the government tries to help a market they end up destroying any real possibility of it ever thriving.

Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    Why can hardly anybody understand this? And the only way for manufacturers to make that profit is if people buy the things. And that won't happen in great numbers until the price of gasoline rises to astronomical heights. Everytime the government tries to help a market they end up destroying any real possibility of it ever thriving.
    I agree absolutely. I get so frustrated everytime people petition the government to reduce taxes on gasoline. "Its too expensive already" blah blah blah.

One way or another its going to run out soon, get used to it. Increase the taxes I say.

I agree absolutely. I get so frustrated everytime people petition the government to reduce taxes on gasoline. "Its too expensive already" blah blah blah.

One way or another its going to run out soon, get used to it. Increase the taxes I say.
    Have you ever seen a comparison of gasoline taxes and what percentage they make up of the price you pay at the pump? Here in the US we pay less than almost everywhere but that's because of the taxes. Turns out the price of the gas is pretty much the same everywhere. It's the taxes that make the difference. We in the US just don't have near the incentive to drive less than the rest of the world does.

Have you ever seen a comparison of gasoline taxes and what percentage they make up of the price you pay at the pump? Here in the US we pay less than almost everywhere but that's because of the taxes. Turns out the price of the gas is pretty much the same everywhere. It's the taxes that make the difference. We in the US just don't have near the incentive to drive less than the rest of the world does.
    I love the gas guzzlers. I wish gas was cheaper but it's not. Some people are heroin addicts; I'm a gasoline junkie. I will beg, borrow, or steal for a tank of premium for my '92 Deville.(With the rebuilt engine, it flies like a bat out of hell!) :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by phlipper
    I love the gas guzzlers. I wish gas was cheaper but it's not. Some people are heroin addicts; I'm a gasoline junkie. I will beg, borrow, or steal for a tank of premium for my '92 Deville.(With the rebuilt engine, it flies like a bat out of hell!) :eek:
    We Californians really love our gas guzzlers. I think there are more 4x4s driving down Rodeo Blvd. in Beverly Hills than all of montana. :cool:

I like the people at the pump that complain about the price of gas as they suck down bottled water they bought inside, they have no problem paying $5 a gallon for the bottled water but complain about the gas.

If you ask me - the Prius and Camry are WAY more expensive than what they are worth. I'd rather go with Hyundai now - Toyota keeps raising their prices.

And as for the Prius being less green, I couldn't care less. But the 80 MPH on a highway is kind of ridiculous. The only time I ever go 80 in my car is on a very short portion of I-15 where they're not doing construction and the speed limit is 75. (And that's because there's nothing around.) Most of the time I'm going 65-70 when I'm on the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by terry05_99
    I like the people at the pump that complain about the price of gas as they suck down bottled water they bought inside, they have no problem paying $5 a gallon for the bottled water but complain about the gas.
    I don't want to do the math again but I figured out one time when I was filling the tank my wife went in and bought a bottle of water. My calculation was that while I was paying two fifty a gallon for the gas she was spending about sixteen bucks a gallon for the water. Pen and teller did a show one time about so called "designer waters". They filled a bunch of the "finest" water bottles all from the same garden hose and then had a bunch of water "conesiurs" [sp] do a taste test. Their comments were absolutely rediculous with slang such as, full bodied, and just the right tangyness and just a smidgeon of mineral essence. Wanted to puke but I was laughing too hard. :D

Quote Originally Posted by lisan23
    If you ask me - the Prius and Camry are WAY more expensive than what they are worth. I'd rather go with Hyundai now - Toyota keeps raising their prices.

And as for the Prius being less green, I couldn't care less. But the 80 MPH on a highway is kind of ridiculous. The only time I ever go 80 in my car is on a very short portion of I-15 where they're not doing construction and the speed limit is 75. (And that's because there's nothing around.) Most of the time I'm going 65-70 when I'm on the highway.
    I'll bet you're the one in the fast lane with your blinker on too. :D

Actually - I'm usually going faster than most. There's a lot of slow drivers here... it really bothers me to, because they always sit in the left lane with their blinker on. And I never leave my blinker on - it drives me crazy!

I don't want to do the math again but I figured out one time when I was filling the tank my wife went in and bought a bottle of water. My calculation was that while I was paying two fifty a gallon for the gas she was spending about sixteen bucks a gallon for the water. Pen and teller did a show one time about so called "designer waters". They filled a bunch of the "finest" water bottles all from the same garden hose and then had a bunch of water "conesiurs" [sp] do a taste test. Their comments were absolutely rediculous with slang such as, full bodied, and just the right tangyness and just a smidgeon of mineral essence. Wanted to puke but I was laughing too hard. :D
    Bottled water is the among the largest scams going. It's right up there with Global Warming and Y2K. When you think about it, when we pay good money to buy water you can get for free, it's as absurd as selling ice cubes to the Eskimos.