+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Beware of the Universal LIfe Church

They charge money for worthless "degrees". People who can barely use a can opener are Doctors of Religion. The founder of the church, Kirby Hensley, was a psycho, and their standard, Do Only That Which Is Right, is a joke. On their forums, the moderators acts as thought police to encourage any anti-Christian sentiments. In many states, the worthiness of their "ordination" is questioned. Steer clear.

Re: Beware of the Universal LIfe Church

hmmm but what if i wanted to marry a couple? couldnt i be a member and be able to the do the same things that real"ministers" can do? if so then how is it a scam especially if its free

Quote Originally Posted by tut
    They charge money for worthless "degrees". People who can barely use a can opener are Doctors of Religion. The founder of the church, Kirby Hensley, was a psycho, and their standard, Do Only That Which Is Right, is a joke. On their forums, the moderators acts as thought police to encourage any anti-Christian sentiments. In many states, the worthiness of their "ordination" is questioned. Steer clear.
    Sound advise and it applies to any church or religious educational institution me thinks.
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

Lol. My room mate has a doctorate of religion from them, and he can legally marry people if he ever goes to the US :)

Quote Originally Posted by kazza
    Lol. My room mate has a doctorate of religion from them, and he can legally marry people if he ever goes to the US :)
    Hopefully you're not bringing him along on your road trip. Remember, what happens in vegas stays in vegas. Don't screw it up. :D

Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    Hopefully you're not bringing him along on your road trip. Remember, what happens in vegas stays in vegas. Don't screw it up. :D
    Nope, he's not coming. I am planning on getting married in Vegas though, and getting it anulled the next day. I'm hoping to have Elvis perform the ceremony :)

Quote Originally Posted by kazza
    Nope, he's not coming. I am planning on getting married in Vegas though, and getting it anulled the next day. I'm hoping to have Elvis perform the ceremony :)
    Elvis is not a problem. There are hundreds of them in vegas. One even has a drive thru ceremony.

Excuse me the ULC offers a legitimate ordination under the law good in most US states and accepts ALL faith paths- I know several local leaders in the pagan faith community that are ordained by them. I may disagree with their faiths, not their right to practice these faiths that is a constitutional right. As for their ordinatiions its a interesting fact even their critics of other faiths MUST protect them if one church is deemed unacceptable ,after getting legal rights like they have, then all chruches could be threatened. The Catholics, the Baptists and others if the government starts playing favorites then everytime a faith is lets say overly involved in politics the government could start yanking their recognition. Its best in my view to give them in the law the benefit of being a church and let them grant their powers to clergy its better than the alternative faiths losing their security generally to practice freely.

As for the religious degrees they have two places to get them the main church and a very nice Seminary where it takes many (degrees treat these as courses in that case) with meditation and study in each to get one. Both the Master of Mionistery and Doctor of Ministry recognized by the state coming from a registered religious school. Now I admit its not harvard but where else are druids, witches, gnostic christians. UFO worshippers and whatever supposed to do if they want a degree. And most don't CARE what the outside world thinks they are seeksing such degrees for themselves to grow in their faith. PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE in my view.

By the way even on the web site the Doctor of Religion from the main church is "honorary" in nature. The SEMINARY program has notably more time and work required to get one of their degrees which I note are for just religious use and run as its own ministry apart from the main offices. Unlike other schools they at least don't claim any sort of accreditation so give them that, I like them for their honesty.

Godeskian is offline I have taken all knowledge to be my province.

Quote Originally Posted by rubyslippers
    I may disagree with their faiths, not their right to practice these faiths
    Then you're failing as a religious person who supposedly cares about his fellows. After all, if you're right and they're wrong then they will go to whatever damnation waits for them after death. You have an obligation to them to try and save them.
    Close your eyes, but keep your mind wide open.

Not at al they have a CONSITUTIONAL right to practice their faith, I as a person of faith in the US must respect that. If the government attacks the ULC then the Baptists or the Catholics or any other religion can be attacked and lose their rights. Protecting their right to practice protects MY right to practice.

Godeskian is offline I have taken all knowledge to be my province.

But doesn't your faith demand that you conver the heathen, doesn't it condemn those who don't believe to torment after death? Don't you have a moral duty to make sure that as few people as possible die as sinners?
    Close your eyes, but keep your mind wide open.

I got a Doctor of Divinity Degree long ago when they were cheap.

As if so-caled legitimate christianity could offer any provable truths greater than the ULC. What a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by ulcnetwork.com View Post
    Brother Doojie:
    You are also mistaking Honorary degrees with Earned degrees. Earned degrees are not cheap. Our degree programs that are accredited range from $299 to $649. In comparison to many seminaries, these prices are cheap.

Honorary degrees are totally legal and many Churches and Religious Organizations offer such, they do not carry as much weight as Earned degrees do, but they provide you the the option to reference them in your name tag. Honorary degrees aren't meant to be the real thing. But they do offer recognition, achievement and they help to add credibility however small that maybe.

What I do not tolerate is organizations who attempt to pass off Honorary degrees as some sort of Academic achievement or not clearly disclose they are not accredited. This is inexcusable.
    Unfortunately, that very exercise of charging money for the validation of such degrees borrows from the same process by which other churches seek to validate their own degrees.

What human authority can be established that will show you are in any way specially connected to God, any more than any other religion?

The fact is, you have no more authority in the matter than they do.

If you practice such licensing by rules of the state, it should be asked, by what authority can the state decide who is the legitimate spokesman for God?

If the state could make such a statement, we could simply eliminate all unnecessary religions and place one religion undrer state control.

Truth cannot be sanctioned or licensed by any human system or organization.

By charging fees in accordance with state supervision, you merely proclaim that "your way" is merely your way, and can be nothing more, same as the more than 38,000 other versions of christianity.

Any charge at all, therefore, can only be considered a scam, same as all other religions.

Doojie:
    I know where you are coming from. But we do not have control over laws implemented by man. I often wonder what the disciples would of told Jesus, if Jesus said, well guys I need to ordain you and I'm required by law to issue a certificate and a letter in good standing.

What would of Jesus said? Perhaps.....I'm going to need to be paid because these items are not free and the law requires certificates be provided.

Man's laws have made certificates for the ministry and the necessity for degrees or letters in good standing a requirement today which I do not believe would of sat to well with our Lord Jesus.

I am sure that Jesus as well as our God sit and look upon our world and shake their heads at many things that take place today.

You are so right conviction to serve as ministers comes from within. We live in a world where greed is not just found in the private sector.

And sir I believe my God would say you are correct it is a scam. But it is a scam we must adhere too, or face ramification from the authorities.

Peace & Blessings My Brother.
    Given the choice of scams, I would pick ULC as the one to belong to.

Most definitely and that is why I head it up, and I am not with this Monastery Storehouse in Seattle
    Hi. Andre Hensley heads up the International Universal Life Church at ulchq.com. I head up the ULC Seminary and Kevin Andrews heads the ULC bookstore.

You don't head up THE 'Universal Life Church'. You head up your own site, which has Universal Life Church in its title.

Ministers don't get a discount from Wal-Mart and you're not on the list with the United Nations.

Also, most states don't even require a copy of a credential to do weddings, so for most people, it's completely free unless they choose to order something, which they don't have to.

You have stated on your site that parking placards are a 'scam', yet you offer them.

At ULC, you can be a Christian minister or you can be any other kind of minister. God loves everyone the same.

My site offers a host of free information, sermons, kind words, newsletters and a lot more. What does your site give back to the world?

--Rev. Amy Long
    The Universal Life Church will ordain anyone for the asking, free of charge.

Re: Beware of the Universal Life Church

The affiliate link you have only gives YOU a percentage of any kind, just as the Amazon links and other things that is what affiliate marketing is. It doesn't give the purchaser any discounts, just gives YOU a kickback for anyone who uses that link. THAT'S how affiliate marketing works.

Also, you made some ridiculous claim that a large number of our ministers follow Satan. I know of maybe one or two who signed up who 'follow satan', but that's about it and they don't do anything. Their basic belief structure is merely hedonistic. I'm sure, however, that there are PLENTY of ULC ministers who are out there just for themselves, without regards to how their actions negatively affect others. Many of those claim to be of a more 'mainstream' religion though.

Andre Hensley heads up the ORIGINAL ULC, founded by his father, Kirby Hensley. You head up your own very tiny little church. That's it. Nobody's feathers are ruffled because of your claim to have 'taken over the ULC', anymore than they would be if you claimed that you are now in charge of Florida. It has the same impact on everyone. Zero.

You claim that you wrote all of those lies about everyone because big bad George told you to. I'm sure he did tell you to. Many Nazi war criminals used the same defense. "Just following orders."

They, at least, were following them on pain of death. You did it purely out of choice. You didn't bother to fact-check, just ran your mouth. You referred people to a website that is full of misinformation and stated that it was truth because it was on a website. George wrote the website.

As far as parking placards -- they are very useful for weddings and funerals. Since you've likely never performed a funeral, you don't know that they often put sticky orange stickers on everyone's windshields that say 'funeral'. They are very hard to get off. A parking placard reduces that from happening. It also allows you, often, to park in places very close to where weddings and such are happening, since you're the first one leaving.

Church ID cards don't need to have pictures since, presumably, most adults carry driver's licenses which are legal documents that DO have your picture on it.

Most states don't require that you have a credential to do weddings, so the ordination is entirely free. They do the ordination and can do the wedding without incurring any expenses.

Also, that link you provide has nothing to do with the United Nations. It's a little social networking platform. Don't quite see where the United Nations fit in.
    Last edited by ulcseminary; 10-20-2010 at 05:38 AM.
    The Universal Life Church will ordain anyone for the asking, free of charge.