+ Reply to Thread

Tom Cruise on anti-depressants

Re: Tom Cruise on anti-depressants

Yet another instance of one of Hollywoods psuedo intellectuals parading as
    an authority on most everything. What, did he stay at one of those hotels
    that makes him instantly all knowing about everything??
    That must be it! Im surprised hes not on the presidential trail. How dignified
    it would be to see him jump and down in a chair when receiving a head of
    state.

:p

Quote Originally Posted by goodwitchofthesouth
    state.

Holliday Inn Express??
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

Quote Originally Posted by goodwitchofthesouth
    state.

I have a strong dislike of Cruise. Maybe he could use a prescription and some therapy himself.

But to hear someone at least question the idea of a "chemical imbalance" takes on the whole drug industry. He's not the only voice to say this. I think Deepak Chopra also hit that chord. Adbusters magazine has also chronicled some negative effects of anti-depressants, quoting some statistics that show some INCREASE the chances of suicide.

He clocked the guy with some good points. "Did you research this?" The guy didn't. He decided to go on television uninformed, and the man refused to acknowledge that he could be wrong. Obnoxious scientology man gets a point there.

He also made a good point about how drugs merely mask the problem. Which is true. I've never heard about drugs curing anyone. My girlfriend's sister is on them on doctor's orders, and no progress with her state. It just sedates her. He also made a great point on how Ritalin is now a drug sold on the streets.

When the interviewer brings up how maybe some young kids are addicted to it, Tom winces as if to say that the idea kids are put on drugs is so repugnant.

Whether you agree or disagree, you have to admit Tom has brought the issue forward so it can be discussed, regardless of how obnoxious and creepy we think he is.

He's an actor and a scientologist. Enough said.
    "Science is evidence without proof. Creationism is proof without evidence."

Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    Holliday Inn Express??

Haha....that may be the one! :D :D :D

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald
    I have a strong dislike of Cruise. Maybe he could use a prescription and some therapy himself.

But to hear someone at least question the idea of a "chemical imbalance" takes on the whole drug industry. He's not the only voice to say this. I think Deepak Chopra also hit that chord. Adbusters magazine has also chronicled some negative effects of anti-depressants, quoting some statistics that show some INCREASE the chances of suicide.

He clocked the guy with some good points. "Did you research this?" The guy didn't. He decided to go on television uninformed, and the man refused to acknowledge that he could be wrong. Obnoxious scientology man gets a point there.

He also made a good point about how drugs merely mask the problem. Which is true. I've never heard about drugs curing anyone. My girlfriend's sister is on them on doctor's orders, and no progress with her state. It just sedates her. He also made a great point on how Ritalin is now a drug sold on the streets.

When the interviewer brings up how maybe some young kids are addicted to it, Tom winces as if to say that the idea kids are put on drugs is so repugnant.

Whether you agree or disagree, you have to admit Tom has brought the issue forward so it can be discussed, regardless of how obnoxious and creepy we think he is.
    I think it has been a long standing fact that people can actually have imbalances in their brain chemistry. Of course, drugs are over
    used as a quick fix but their value should not be discounted for the people
    whose brain signals are misfiring!
    I think the junk in our food, chemicals, fungicides used in farming, pesticides,
    chemical fertilizers etc. are probably messing with our bodies and minds in
    maybe never to be discovered ways. Brooke Shields was intelligent enough
    to realize that she had a real problem and seek help and it worked for her.
    Cruise was a pompous ass and very ignorant overall to attack her as he did.

ADD and all the autism that is being seen today is probably a
    product of things in our environment, food, water etc. Maybe they are right
    about vaccines having some really serious side effects. It just doesnt make
    sense to nail a baby with up to nine vaccines in one shot. What immune
    system, let alone an undeveloped one, can possibly respond with no adverse
    effects?????

But, back to the really flickering star, Cruise is obnoxious and I can never
    watch or buy any more of his movies. Yuck!

Yes, Cruise is obnoxious and nuts, and is beginning to fill the void that Michael Jackson is leaving. I'm not saying I support his stance. I was just surprised someone in the spotlight decided to take on big pharmaceutical. America does have a rampant drug culture. If anyone has any rational alternatives to these medications, I'd like to see more of it.

Well, Ill sure agree with that!

americans are very clearly over medicated, but to say you have never seen anyone cured by medicine is pretty out of hand.

and if you are referring to pyschotherapy type "illnesses" and not regular ones like polio or breast cancer, you are right pyschoactive drugs dont and are not meant to "cure, they are meant to normalize levels of this or that chemical in your body.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralTsoGood
    americans are very clearly over medicated, but to say you have never seen anyone cured by medicine is pretty out of hand.

and if you are referring to pyschotherapy type "illnesses" and not regular ones like polio or breast cancer, you are right pyschoactive drugs dont and are not meant to "cure, they are meant to normalize levels of this or that chemical in your body.
    I don't know of one human soul who has ever testified something like: "Yup, thanks to Ritalin, I overcame my problem." I know people that try to commit suicide while ON medication. I know people that try to commit suicide while overdosing ON their on medication. I have yet to see medication cure anyone. Where are these depressed people raising up their hands and saying: "Yes, these drug saved me! It cured me!"

I just don't ever hear it. I believe in pain killers when you're dealing with physical pain. I think medications can, at best, reduce the symptoms of a problem. I'm dealing with a depressed person right now who is suffering of insomnia as a symptom. He gets more sleep when I talk to him as a friend and just hang out.

There has got to be alternatives to drugs. I think Tom Cruise has a point. I don't think the "chemical imbalance" is common. I think people just assume that a depressed person has it. I think NLP (neuro-linguistic programing), as practiced by Anthony Robbins is a good treatment.

I wouldn't be surprised if 9 times out of 10, there was a perfectly good alternative to these drugs, and doctors are way too quick to write up a perscription to a drug that may have very nasty side effects that may actually cause the person to commit suicide. You know the problem is getting out of hand when kids 5 to 10 are taking these drugs, when Ritalin becomes a drug sold on the streets and people are getting addicted.

My girlfriend's sister has depression. I think what would really help is Kendo or Iaido classes. Something to get her sweating, her heart pumping, moving around. Do doctors ever prescribe exercise?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald
    I don't know of one human soul who has ever testified something like: "Yup, thanks to Ritalin, I overcame my problem." I know people that try to commit suicide while ON medication. I know people that try to commit suicide while overdosing ON their on medication. I have yet to see medication cure anyone. Where are these depressed people raising up their hands and saying: "Yes, these drug saved me! It cured me!"

I just don't ever hear it. I believe in pain killers when you're dealing with physical pain. I think medications can, at best, reduce the symptoms of a problem. I'm dealing with a depressed person right now who is suffering of insomnia as a symptom. He gets more sleep when I talk to him as a friend and just hang out.

There has got to be alternatives to drugs. I think Tom Cruise has a point. I don't think the "chemical imbalance" is common. I think people just assume that a depressed person has it. I think NLP (neuro-linguistic programing), as practiced by Anthony Robbins is a good treatment.

I wouldn't be surprised if 9 times out of 10, there was a perfectly good alternative to these drugs, and doctors are way too quick to write up a perscription to a drug that may have very nasty side effects that may actually cause the person to commit suicide. You know the problem is getting out of hand when kids 5 to 10 are taking these drugs, when Ritalin becomes a drug sold on the streets and people are getting addicted.

My girlfriend's sister has depression. I think what would really help is Kendo or Iaido classes. Something to get her sweating, her heart pumping, moving around. Do doctors ever prescribe exercise?
    "Real" doctors do prescribe exercise. For almost anything that ails you.
    "Science is evidence without proof. Creationism is proof without evidence."