View Poll Results: Do you know an atheist?

Voters
25. This poll is closed
  • I know an atheist, and I believe they can be moral.

    22 88.00%
  • I know an atheist, but I don't believe they can be moral.

    2 8.00%
  • I don't know any atheists, but I believe they can be moral.

    1 4.00%
  • I don't know any atheists, and I don't believe they can be moral.

    0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Results 97 to 112 of 268

  1. #97
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    311

    Re: Do you know an atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by SubJunk
    I think that if all other teachers are teaching hatred and only you are teaching love it doesn't matter if you're lying or not so much.

    I don't understand that logic, at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by SubJunk
    For example, recently I was comforting someone whose relative had died and I said something like "she's happy and with God now", something like that. I was lying because I don't believe in any gods but it gave her comfort. I don't think that makes me a bad friend.
    Your example shows you are not a friend at all and further it clearly demonstrates that people having their own morality, is futile.
    Why? Because if lying is moral by your own standard then you can
    justify just about any immoral act.

    Quote Originally Posted by SubJunk
    With all due respect, I am a very self-evaluating person, and if I had anything that could be likened to a god I would know.
    There is a huge difference in believing in a god and not believing in one (or three).
    With all due respect, everyone SERVES something. Whatever it is you
    are serving, is your god, whether you believe it or not.
    If you drop a ball from a roof, does it matter whether or not you believe in gravity as to whether the ball will drop?
    No, the ball drops and if you don't believe God exists it doesn't change the fact that He does. There are many that can testify to that fact.

    Quote Originally Posted by SubJunk
    Morality is a changing thing.
    That is wrong, God is the same today, yesterday and forever. His
    morality does not change, ever!

    Quote Originally Posted by SubJunk
    I realize you think your beliefs are the only correct ones, but everyone in the world also believes that.
    See this is where you and Bogie are wrong in accusing me of having beliefs
    that I think are correct. The "beliefs" that I have put forward are GOD's, they are from the BIBLE. I have quoted verses to show you that it is not my opinion, it is what the WORD OF GOD says.

    Quote Originally Posted by SubJunk
    I believe my morals are the best ones, I'm sure bogie does about his, aegist does about his, etc. but a difference between atheists and Christians is that more often than not we realize that tolerence is the key.
    Beautiful argument, but as I have already asked Bogie, who are you, you have no authority to define morality? You have authority to choose how you want to live your life but that does not define morality.
    Let me address your tolerence implied derogatory remark against Christians.
    If you are a common person wearing civilian clothes and you are standing in front of a burning building, on the first floor you see a child stuck on something and can't get out by his own power. You break a window and attempt to save him but he tells you that he doesn't want you to because he knows that the fireman is coming because he can hear sirens coming. With all of your science knowledge you can see that the building is going to collapse within a few minutes, you know it for a fact, you believe, you tell the child but he still says he wants to wait.
    What are you going to do with the truth that you know? Are you going to have tolerence for the child and because he does not believe what you believe you are going to let him burn to death?
    What is the connection? If I believe the BIBLE is truth then tolerence is not an option because everyday I walk past people that have an eternal destination, heaven or hell. Tolerence is different than loving everyone.
    I love everyone and therefore, if I have the chance I will share what I know to be the truth.

  2. #98
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    311

    Re: Do you know an atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    I can just say that I came up with my present morals without anybody's help and I'm proud of that. You'd be hard pressed to come up with very many people that have done less harm and more good than me. Many are just as moral as me but not many with higher standards. It feels good being unafraid of letting anyone down but myself.
    You are a good person? By what standard? Your reasoning and your logic are flawed but since I know you think the same about mine, I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

  3. #99
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,548

    Re: Do you know an atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leeguana
    So you didn't jump up and down and say, "F#ck you all, F#ck you all."

    Me either. And if we were to do it all over again, I still wouldn't say that.

    I'd be thinking it.

    But nowadays, thoughts don't count.
    Nowadays it appears that even thinking don't count. This is my second marriage and after divorcing a christian fanatic that insisted we spend every holiday with her equally fanatical family I made myself a promise that if I ever married again, I'd make sure that we were religiously compatible. But when my new bride to be would start talking about her religious beliefs I must have been staring too much at her breasts to pay attention. :D
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

  4. #100
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,548

    Re: Do you know an atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by enlightenme007
    You are a good person? By what standard? Your reasoning and your logic are flawed but since I know you think the same about mine, I think we'll have to agree to disagree.
    I guess so since I've explained "by what standard" about a dozen times and you still don't get it. By my standard. Geez. :rolleyes:
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

  5. #101
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,548

    Re: Do you know an atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by enlightenme007
    You are a good person? By what standard? Your reasoning and your logic are flawed but since I know you think the same about mine, I think we'll have to agree to disagree.
    You question whether or not I am a good person without ever meeting me? Only by what you read on a website called scam.com? And in the religious scams forum? And you suggest that my reasoning and logic are flawed?
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

  6. #102
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    311

    Re: Do you know an atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Button
    I can't even begin to read through these last two pages of crap. Who is anybody here short of God to really state that they know what morality is?
    GOD did state what morality is, it is in the BIBLE.

    Quote Originally Posted by Button
    I dated an athesits back in high school and while he himself didn't turn out to be all that moralistic, his atheists parents were.
    It took you two sentences to contradict yourself. In the first you say who is anybody here to say what morality is and in the second you say your ex boyfriend's atheist parents were. ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Button
    You don't have to follow God to be moralistic. I know...who defines morals - how about this...do unto others as you would have done unto you. Pretty simple huh? I think that is all we need to define morals.
    Uh. . . just in case you have not heard, that is in the BIBLE.

    Quote Originally Posted by Button
    Murder - would you like to be killed unjustly - no, then it's immoral. Would you like to be stolen from - then no, it's immoral to steal. Would you like somebody to sleep with your wife - then yes - it would be immoral for you to cheat on your wife or for you to sleep with someone elses wife. Common sense people! Most of the ten commandments represent this faction.
    Your logic is flawed, some people like having people sleep with their wife or husband, the threesome, some might say, does that make it moral?
    Wow you have to lay off the smoke, but I know you think it is moral so
    it is okay.

    Quote Originally Posted by Button
    Fact is - I'm a Christian, but to be honest, I've been kinda ashamed of my "brethern" here on scam and kinda agreed with the atheists on this board when they point out that most of the horid wars on this earth have been started due to a religion that is supposed to follow God's morals. I don't go to church like my "brethern" but I try to live reasonable and while I may have a drink before dinner like most of my baptists "kinfolk" would totally disagree with, I'm not being a hypocrite and calling others sinners, i.e. example, people dishing gay people and saying that their going to hell because they're commiting a sin. Well I'm not all for the gay movement, but hello! We all sin. Who's to say that somebody being gay is any worse than somebody else taking the Lord's name in vain or committing adultry?
    Right, we all sin and whether it is lying or some other thing that you have mentioned, sin has to be paid for otherwise the punishment is eternal death in hell. That is a fact and you shouldn't call yourself a Christian if you don't believe what the BIBLE says. The BIBLE says that the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our LORD!
    So you are at the first step of calling yourself a Christian, admitting that you are a sinner and that you have sinned against God, as we all have, ask God for forgiveness and the next step is repentence, that means turning from your sin, doing a 180 into God's arms and accepting Jesus' death on the cross as payment for your sin and His resurrection as proof that God's gift of eternal life is real. If you don't believe that, I don't know how in the world you can call yourself a Christian.

    Quote Originally Posted by Button
    I really despise hypocrisy and that is just about the main reason I haven't really been to church in years. When I go, I just about cry because at one time when I was younger I really felt at home. Now I feel like an outcast because I dare call a spade a spade.
    Amen, I couldn't agree with you more, there are people that think just because they are Christian they are better than others, or that their p##p
    don't stink. I will freely admit I am a spade, or sinner, that I am not perfect, however I am convicted of my sin, I know I have a choice to sin or not and I know that when I do it saddens me and I have to ask God for forgiveness immediately. In my walk with Christ, I recognize sin where I didn't before, the Holy Spirit brings sin to your attention. Now let's not everyone get out of whack here, I am not saying that a true Christian can live a life a sin and debauchery and then just quickly ask for forgiveness and then go right back to a life of sin, that would be evidence of not being a true Christian, a true Christian despises sin and wants to walk according to God's Word, however knows that they fall short of perfection and asks God for forgiveness.

  7. #103
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    311

    Re: Do you know an atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Button
    I meant the three major religions - Christianity, Islam and Judiasm. It makes no sense for them to be at odds with each other if they all beleive in one God. I'd say we all (the three religions) beleive in the same God, just disagree with who was his son, who the real prophets were and the way to worship him - no reason to kill.
    There are extremists everywhere not just in religion. I am a Christian,
    do I think it is right to kill muslims, jews, or atheists for that matter
    because they don't believe what I believe. Absolutely, not!
    As a Christian, I believe that we should share the gospel message
    with everyone, out of LOVE, not war.

  8. #104
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    311

    Re: Do you know an atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    You question whether or not I am a good person without ever meeting me? Only by what you read on a website called scam.com? And in the religious scams forum? And you suggest that my reasoning and logic are flawed?
    The Bible says that there is not one that is good.
    Again I will explain that the only way to become "good" in God's
    eyes is to have accepted Jesus, His son as the propitiation
    for our sins.
    Again, I am not saying you are not a good person by
    the world's standard, but what is that standard and
    regardless if you meet it or not, how does it affect your
    eternal destination?
    That is where I am coming from. Man you were ready
    to jump on me today, huh?

  9. #105
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,548

    Re: Do you know an atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by enlightenme007
    As a Christian, I believe that we should share the gospel message
    with everyone, out of LOVE, not war.
    Now if you could only convince the christians who have killed and continue to kill in the name of god.
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

  10. #106
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,548

    Re: Do you know an atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by enlightenme007
    The Bible says that there is not one that is good.
    Again I will explain that the only way to become "good" in God's
    eyes is to have accepted Jesus, His son as the propitiation
    for our sins.
    Do you still actually think that the writings in the bible will sway me to your side?
    Again, I am not saying you are not a good person by
    the world's standard, but what is that standard and
    regardless if you meet it or not, how does it affect your
    eternal destination?
    You tell me. What is the world's standard. Only a third of the people in the world are christians. And my eternal destination is not affected by anything other than the process of decay.
    That is where I am coming from. Man you were ready
    to jump on me today, huh?
    Oh yes. I just wake up each morning chompin at the bit to jump on you. :D No, this is entertainment for me when I have the time.
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

  11. #107
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    311

    Re: Do you know an atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    Do you still actually think that the writings in the bible will sway me to your side?
    I have given you the benefit of the doubt up until this question, but either you are not reading my posts or you are not understanding?
    LET ME SAY THIS AGAIN FOR ALL: I am simply responding to your questions or giving input according to what the Bible says, I am not trying to persuade you or to get you to agree with me, I am just trying to tell you what I believe, what you do with that is up to you.

    Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    You tell me. What is the world's standard. Only a third of the people in the world are christians. And my eternal destination is not affected by anything other than the process of decay.Oh yes. I just wake up each morning chompin at the bit to jump on you. :D No, this is entertainment for me when I have the time.
    That was my question to you, what is the standard of good? I will explain how your reasoning is flawed, if you say you are a good person by your own definition of what it is to be a good person, then wipty do, who cares we are all good people no matter what we do. If you can't see the flaw in that reasoning or logic then forget it.

  12. #108
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,015

    Re: Do you know an atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    How do you define "major religions?" If you are measuring the number of adherents, christianity is number one with 2.1 billion, islam second with 1.3 billion and athiesm third with 1.1 billion. Judaism doesn't show up until eleventh with a mere 14 million after such religions as hinduism, chinese folk religion and sikhism. So if you consider judaism as one of the major religions then it follows that there are no less than eleven major religions, therefor ten must have it wrong. And if you go by which has been around the longest, athiesm wins hands down.
    Atheism comes in third? Where do you get your info? I didn't think athesim was a religion, just not beleiving in God. I know it's not that big in this country.

    I consider Judiasm one of the three because for one, it is where Christianity stems from and two - for a small percentage of people - they have alot of pull in our society, the only religion to have their own country and the fact that Muslims hate them so much that wars, attacks, property issues, etc. are involved between the two so it rises in my mind as one of the major three - or rather it seems to be one of the major three in the world and history of the world that the most conflict is involved with. Sounds wierd when you write it out - how does the 11th biggest religion have so much conflict associated with it that I consider it one of the big three - anyway that is another thread in itself.

  13. #109
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,548

    Re: Do you know an atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by enlightenme007
    I have given you the benefit of the doubt up until this question, but either you are not reading my posts or you are not understanding?
    I'll choose not understanding.
    LET ME SAY THIS AGAIN FOR ALL: I am simply responding to your questions or giving input according to what the Bible says, I am not trying to persuade you or to get you to agree with me, I am just trying to tell you what I believe, what you do with that is up to you.
    But you tell me what you believe over and over with no effect. I'd think that if one line of argument fails to pursuade then you'd try another line. If on the other hand you only have one line and it doesn't work then why not give up? It ain't working.



    That was my question to you, what is the standard of good?
    There are over six billion people in the world. Each has his own standard of good. A christian, nazi concentration camp guard can consider himself to be good by ridding the earth of jews but he does not live up to what I think is good.
    I will explain how your reasoning is flawed, if you say you are a good person by your own definition of what it is to be a good person, then wipty do, who cares we are all good people no matter what we do. If you can't see the flaw in that reasoning or logic then forget it.
    OK. I'll forget it because you have again failed to make me see the flaw in my reasoning or logic. Probably because you continue to use the same reasoning or logic that you've used all along which does not explain why a murderer on death row who reads the same bible as you and was convicted of killing prostitutes because god told him to considers himself a wrongfully convicted "good person". Well I judge him as a bad person as I do anybody who has commited atrocities in the name of god.
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

  14. #110
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,578

    Re: Do you know an atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by enlightenme007
    That was my question to you, what is the standard of good? I will explain how your reasoning is flawed, if you say you are a good person by your own definition of what it is to be a good person, then wipty do, who cares we are all good people no matter what we do. If you can't see the flaw in that reasoning or logic then forget it.
    Are you saying that christians set the "standard for good"? Western-Christian forces invade Muslim countries, kill innocent children, women and men by the tens of thousands, and it's Muslims whom Christians call upon to "combat the cruel fanaticism of terrorism"? Are we still living in the age of the crusades? In the time of the "Holy Inquisition"? In the period of the Christian pogroms against the Jews who, upon being expelled from Spain, found refuge amidst Muslim communities around the Mediterranean and in Mesopotamia? Your religion is 2000 years old, it means nothing to a modern society but more pain and suffering, just like it has produced since it's ill-begotten inception.

    People can certainly rise above the "christian standards" for morality! Religious zealotry over the centuries has been directly responsible for countless deaths, imprisonments, needless suffering, torturing, and the oppression of people on grounds of sex, race, color, sexuality or belief. If these are what you hold up as "christian standards" then no wonder people are rejecting christianity in ever increasing numbers.

    People need to reject any form of religion that preaches hate toward our fellow man. We need each other more now than in any other time in our long and storied history. There simply is no place for such a mindless and destructive force as religion.

  15. #111
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,548

    Re: Do you know an atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Button
    Atheism comes in third? Where do you get your info?
    From googleing "The worlds major religions"
    I didn't think athesim was a religion, just not beleiving in God. I know it's not that big in this country.
    Bhudists don't believe in god yet they are considered to be religious. The breakdown in numbers classifies the more than six billion people in the world according to what they believe. Hense, the third largest group does not believe there is a god. More when you throw in bhudaism and some other religions.

    I consider Judiasm one of the three because for one, it is where Christianity stems from
    I can see where a christian would feel that way.
    and two - for a small percentage of people - they have alot of pull in our society
    But our society is but a fraction of the worlds population. Assuming you me the american society.
    , the only religion to have their own country and the fact that Muslims hate them so much that wars, attacks, property issues, etc. are involved between the two so it rises in my mind as one of the major three
    If we're talking about killing and wars then I would agree. The major religions are christianity, islam and judaism and they are responsible for the atrocities of history in that order.
    Sounds wierd when you write it out - how does the 11th biggest religion have so much conflict associated with it that I consider it one of the big three
    I don't know why you consider it one of the big three.
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

  16. #112
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,548

    Re: Do you know an atheist?

    Quote Originally Posted by UserName
    Are you saying that christians set the "standard for good"? Western-Christian forces invade Muslim countries, kill innocent children, women and men by the tens of thousands, and it's Muslims whom Christians call upon to "combat the cruel fanaticism of terrorism"? Are we still living in the age of the crusades? In the time of the "Holy Inquisition"? In the period of the Christian pogroms against the Jews who, upon being expelled from Spain, found refuge amidst Muslim communities around the Mediterranean and in Mesopotamia? Your religion is 2000 years old, it means nothing to a modern society but more pain and suffering, just like it has produced since it's ill-begotten inception.

    People can certainly rise above the "christian standards" for morality! Religious zealotry over the centuries has been directly responsible for countless deaths, imprisonments, needless suffering, torturing, and the oppression of people on grounds of sex, race, color, sexuality or belief. If these are what you hold up as "christian standards" then no wonder people are rejecting christianity in ever increasing numbers.

    People need to reject any form of religion that preaches hate toward our fellow man. We need each other more now than in any other time in our long and storied history. There simply is no place for such a mindless and destructive force as religion.
    Well said.
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

Similar Threads

  1. Atheist have no answers?
    By Cnance in forum Religious Scams
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 10-02-2012, 11:13 PM
  2. Atheist Scum
    By pwrone in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-24-2011, 06:10 AM
  3. Darwin was an atheist!
    By Cnance in forum Religious Scams
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 06-01-2010, 08:47 AM
  4. Atheist Eve
    By SubJunk in forum Religious Scams
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-03-2006, 05:06 AM
  5. The Atheist Manifesto
    By Pike in forum Religious Scams
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-25-2006, 10:47 AM

Tags for this Thread

Add / Edit Tags
abandoned, absent, acceptance, account, accurate, action, acts, admit, admitted, affidavit, ages, ale, ame, amendment, american, appears, approval, approved, artists, ass, ate, attitude, audio, aus, australia, authority, azi, balance, based, basics, be aware, beer, believers, ben, bible, big bang, biggest, blood, body, bonanza, british, broadcast, building, bull, bunch, bur, call, campaign, careful, cars, cash, catholic, causing, central, chance, change, child abuse, christmas, church, citizenship, class, clo, close, closes, closet, code, communism, comparison, complain, complete, concealing, confesses, confirmed, contest, continue, correction, couldn, counting, countries, crack, credibility, credit, criminals, currency, damn, dark, david, day, dead, deal, debating, decades, deciding, declared, defender, defends, deliver, delusions, development, differences, differently, discount, dish, dna, doesn, dollars, dont, drew, drink, drop, drug, edge, electio, eme, ends, enter, episode, establishment, ethical, ethics, evaluation, examples, expelled, experience, explained, expose, extra, extreme, extremists, faced, fail, fails, faithful, families, family, famous, fashion, faulty, favors, figures, find, first amendment, fit, flaw, forgiveness, fraudulent, freinds, fucking, fulfilled, future, gay, gee, gen, generation, glad, global, god, gold, grace, guarantee, guys, hail, handed, hands, harder, hasn, haters, healing, hearts, helping, higher, highly, holds, holiday, hre, html, huge, huma, human, humans, hypocritical, ici, identifies, identifying, illness, imagine, impact, important, include, individuals, influence, inheritance, insanity, insulin, interest, invade, involved, involving, issues, jail, john, joke, jot, karma, kicked, large, latest, lazy, leaders, lessons, lexx, liberals, limits, line, lis, listen, live, local, lol, love, loves, mankind, mark, mass, mea, meet, members, memories, mental, mentions, method, midnight, million, millions, mind, minister, money, monster, motives, mow, multi, named, nation, national, nations, nature, needed, neil, new york times, new zealand, newspaper, nope, numbers, office, opposite, oppression, option, options, oral, ordered, oregon, organizations, outs, owns, pakistan, paper, par, parade, part, partner, passage, people, persecute, person, peter, pile, pissing, planes, plans, poison, policy, poor, post, posted, posts, power, pressed, price, problem, progress, prophet, proves, public, publishers, pull, punish, punished, punishment, push, queen, questions, quick, raising, rapist, raw, rea, real, reason, reasonable, reasons, rebellion, receiving, reconciliation, red, refused, reich, reincarnation, released, religion, representative, research, respect, response, reward, robert, role, rome, roo, sacred, scale, scam, scam.com, scary, scottish, screw, secretary, seekers, serve, service, sex, sharing, sho, shop, shouldn, shows, shut, slam, slaughter, socialism, soft, son, sons, source, specifically, spent, sphere, spreading, start, steal, stranger, strip, stupid, submit, subs, summary, sun, supporting, survey, systems, taken, tampering, targets, tells, temple, test, testify, thankful, thinks, threads, times, told, tolerance, top, total, totally, track, trap, types, universe, university, unprecedented, version, veteran, victory, view, vince, violence, violent, waiting, wanted, warfare, wars, weak, western, wilson, win, wins, won, wonderful, word, worked, working, wow, writing, york, youtube

View Tag Cloud

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •