+ Reply to Thread

Warning..please Read!!

I just received this email from my brother...pass it on.

Subject: FW: HIV @ The Gas Pumps!! Urgent!!!
    >> >
    >> >
    >> > Read this before your next gas fill-up. Folks: Please take a couple
    >>minutes to
    >>read this warning about Gas Pumping Handles. Warning: Look at the g! as
    >>pump
    >>
    >>handle BEFORE you pump your gas. Please read and forward to anyone you
    >>know
    >>who
    >>drives a car.
    >> > My name is Captain Abraham Sands of the Jacksonville , Florida, Police
    >>Department. I have been asked by state and local authorities to write this
    >>email
    >>in order to get the word out to car drivers of a very dangerous prank that
    >>is
    >>occurring in numerous states. Some person or persons have been affixing
    >>hypodermic needles to the underside of gas pump handles! These needles
    >>appear to
    >>be infected with HIV positive blood. In the Jacksonville area alone, there
    >>have
    >>been 17 cases of people being stuck by these needles over the past five
    >>(5)
    >>months. We have verified reports of at least 12 others in various states
    >>around
    >>the country. It is believed that these may be copycat incidents due to
    >>someone
    >>reading about the crimes or seeing them reported on television. At this
    >>point no
    >>one has been arrested and c! atching the perpetrator's) has become our top
    >>priority. Shockingly, o! f the 17 people who where stuck, 8 have tested
    >>HIV
    >>positive and because of the nature of the disease, the others could test
    >>positive in a couple years. Evidently the consumers go to fill their car
    >>with
    >>gas, and when picking up the pump handle get stuck with the infected
    >>needle.
    >>IT
    >>IS IMPERATIVE TO CAREFULLY CHECK THE HANDLE of the gas pump each time you
    >>use
    >>one. LOOK AT EVERY SURFACE YOUR HAND MAY TOUCH, INCLUDING UNDER THE
    >>HANDLE!
    >>If
    >>you do find a needle affixed to one, immediately contact your local police
    >>department so they can collect the evidence. PLEASE HELP US BY MAINTAINING
    >>A
    >>
    >>VIGILANCE, AND BY FORWARDING THIS EMAIL TO ANYONE YOU KNOW WHO DRIVES. THE
    >>MORE
    >>PEOPLE WHO KNOW OF THIS, THE BETTER PROTECTED WE CAN ALL BE.
    >> >
    >> > Rose Lambert, Chief Aide to Supervisor Gerry Hyland, Mount Vernon
    >>District
    >>
    >>2511 Parkers Lane, Alexandria, VA 22306.
    >> > PLEASE READ THIS AND PASS IT ON TO EVERYONE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK!!!!
    >> >
    >> >
    >> >
    >> >
    >> >
    >> > > Find a local pizza place, movie theater, and more....then map the
    >>best
    >>route!
    >> > CONFIDENTIAL: The information contained in this communication,
    >>including
    >>its
    >>attachments may contain confidential information and is intended only for
    >>the
    >>individual (s) or entity (ies) to whom it is addressed .

Re: Warning..please Read!!

Both YOU and YOUR BROTHER should check if these things are hoaxes BEFORE you pass them along. It's a hoax, just like 99% of these kinds of stories are.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/hiv-needle-hoax.html

http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar.../aa061400a.htm

The Truth:
    There is no such person as Captain Abraham Sands either in Buffalo or Jacksonville. There are no such incidents of HIV-infected needles being found in gas pump handles. eRumors about HIV-infected needles have been making the rounds of the country for quite a while including ones reported to be found in theater seats, pay phones, etc.. None of them is true. Interestingly, there is also no such thing as the Jacksonville Police Department. Jacksonville is served by a Sheriff's Office, which has issued a statement officially declaring this story a hoax.

Well I just know that I received it and I would rather be safe than sorry. I'm not sure if there is really a Jacksonville Police Department or whatever but I do know that this same incident has happened before. In fact, 3 of our gas stations here in West Virgina changed their gas pumps b/c of this about a year ago. You can believe whatever you want...but like I said, I would rather be safe than sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by jen9468
    I just received this email from my brother...pass it on.

Subject: FW: HIV @ The Gas Pumps!! Urgent!!!
    >> >
    >> >
    >> > Read this before your next gas fill-up. Folks: Please take a couple
    >>minutes to
    >>read this warning about Gas Pumping Handles. Warning: Look at the g! as
    >>pump
    >>
    >>handle BEFORE you pump your gas. Please read and forward to anyone you
    >>know
    >>who
    >>drives a car.
    >> > My name is Captain Abraham Sands of the Jacksonville , Florida, Police
    >>Department. I have been asked by state and local authorities to write this
    >>email
    >>in order to get the word out to car drivers of a very dangerous prank that
    >>is
    >>occurring in numerous states. Some person or persons have been affixing
    >>hypodermic needles to the underside of gas pump handles! These needles
    >>appear to
    >>be infected with HIV positive blood. In the Jacksonville area alone, there
    >>have
    >>been 17 cases of people being stuck by these needles over the past five
    >>(5)
    >>months. We have verified reports of at least 12 others in various states
    >>around
    >>the country. It is believed that these may be copycat incidents due to
    >>someone
    >>reading about the crimes or seeing them reported on television. At this
    >>point no
    >>one has been arrested and c! atching the perpetrator's) has become our top
    >>priority. Shockingly, o! f the 17 people who where stuck, 8 have tested
    >>HIV
    >>positive and because of the nature of the disease, the others could test
    >>positive in a couple years. Evidently the consumers go to fill their car
    >>with
    >>gas, and when picking up the pump handle get stuck with the infected
    >>needle.
    >>IT
    >>IS IMPERATIVE TO CAREFULLY CHECK THE HANDLE of the gas pump each time you
    >>use
    >>one. LOOK AT EVERY SURFACE YOUR HAND MAY TOUCH, INCLUDING UNDER THE
    >>HANDLE!
    >>If
    >>you do find a needle affixed to one, immediately contact your local police
    >>department so they can collect the evidence. PLEASE HELP US BY MAINTAINING
    >>A
    >>
    >>VIGILANCE, AND BY FORWARDING THIS EMAIL TO ANYONE YOU KNOW WHO DRIVES. THE
    >>MORE
    >>PEOPLE WHO KNOW OF THIS, THE BETTER PROTECTED WE CAN ALL BE.
    >> >
    >> > Rose Lambert, Chief Aide to Supervisor Gerry Hyland, Mount Vernon
    >>District
    >>
    >>2511 Parkers Lane, Alexandria, VA 22306.
    >> > PLEASE READ THIS AND PASS IT ON TO EVERYONE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK!!!!
    >> >
    >> >
    >> >
    >> >
    >> >
    >> > > Find a local pizza place, movie theater, and more....then map the
    >>best
    >>route!
    >> > CONFIDENTIAL: The information contained in this communication,
    >>including
    >>its
    >>attachments may contain confidential information and is intended only for
    >>the
    >>individual (s) or entity (ies) to whom it is addressed .
    Back in the late 70's/early 80's it was the Anarchists puting LSD on pay phone receivers...I guess they are modernizing...

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    Both YOU and YOUR BROTHER should check if these things are hoaxes BEFORE you pass them along. It's a hoax, just like 99% of these kinds of stories are.
    Well I just know that I received it and I would rather be safe than sorry. I'm not sure if there is really a Jacksonville Police Department or whatever but I do know that this same incident has happened before. In fact, 3 of our gas stations here in West Virgina changed their gas pumps b/c of this about a year ago. You can believe whatever you want...but like I said, I would rather be safe than sorry!
    Jen, you are right in that it is better to be safe than sorry, but with the bombardment of scare tactic emails, if we heeded them all, we would be taping our windows & doors & never leaving the house.

I think what sojustask was trying to get across is an extremely valid point that many of us don't always see, especially with emails that are used as scare tactics because typically they do precisely that.....touch our senses before our logic ever has a foothold & they incite needless fear. A very good source of information to research when you receive any email like those is www.snopes.com/inboxer/inboxer.asp.Take a looksee & it is my understanding that they research thoroughly& if they can not obtain documented verification, they will state they do not have enough information to assess, but 9 times out of 10, they do.

It is a very reliable source of accurate information that can help eliminate those scares & has helped subside my embarrassment & naivety quite a bit.
    Last edited by wiseroption; 03-30-2007 at 02:23 AM. Reason: spelling correction

Did their owners read the email too?

Come on. If you want to be SAFE. Verify the story before you hit the panic button.

Hysterics never helped anyone, especially the hysterical person. Some of these hoaxes come attached with viruses and email collectors on them. At least do your email list a favor and copy and paste the warning instead of forwarding them. And if you are trusting in Norton's or McCaffee, good luck. About of 4th of the viruses sent get right past these two AND Windows firewall protection.

Lady Mod

Do you guys ever consider the fact that some evil person may actually do this just b/c everyone thinks it is a joke??

Do you guys ever consider the fact that some evil person may actually do this just b/c everyone thinks it is a joke??
    Yes. But I also consider that by spreading this all over the internet, you could be giving some psycho a new idea. ;)
    "Science is evidence without proof. Creationism is proof without evidence."

well according to everyone else, it was already all over the internet.

I was just giving you a hard time . . . :D
    "Science is evidence without proof. Creationism is proof without evidence."

No, did you consider how hard it would be to actually do something like this and pull it off?

Do you avoid lipstick for fear of lead poisoning? Do you avoid boiling water in your microwave because it removes nutrients? Are you still looking for 13 year old Ashley Forbes? Do you sign petitions to the president or congress and spam everyone you know to do likewise. Do you believe the email about Andy Rooney?

These are all false hoaxes and rumors.

Lady Mod

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work...

Quote Originally Posted by jigglepete
    Back in the late 70's/early 80's it was the Anarchists puting LSD on pay phone receivers...I guess they are modernizing...
    Applying LSD or other chemicals to public surfaces is effective, unless the surface where so applied is exposed to the outside and if it rained it would be washed off, so this could be effective in contaminating other people. One place I've heard that someone placed LSD in a clandestine fashion was in the glue on mailing envelopes in someone's private packet. THis does not imply that there are mailing envelopes out there circulating around with LSD smeared on the glue. An individual would have to do this intetionally to another individual.
    With HIV, the only way that this virus can be spread is through the blood serum of an HIV infected individual being introduced directly into an open cut anywhere on the body, or squirted into the eye. Otherwise, HIV is contracted through direct physical contact with an infected individual. Through unprotected sex or mouth to mouth contact. Also, through immediate use of a hypodermic needle used to inject any substance into the HIV infected person and then used by another individual. Also, blood transfusions of HIV infected blood. OTher veneral diseases are also spread in this manner.
    Some people can be exposed to HIV and not contract the disease. It has not been determined as yet why this is true.
    When the HIV is exposed to air and ambient temperatures it quickly dies. Smearing infected blood, other body fluids or being stuck by an 'old needle' cannot transfer the virus. It is possible to develope an abscess or blood posioning from such.
    Nicole Simpson was found to have a punctured abcess on her back by the Florida Coroner examing her body after death. She took drug injections in her back sometime, just above the kKidneys area. She either used a dirty needle
    [previously used] or injected bacteria into her body when the needle penetrated. This resulted in the abcess. Later, she took another injection and punctured the abcess. THis resulted in her developing a 105 degree fever and having to be administered antibiotics and placed in an ice bath, which was effective in breaking the fever. However, she shortly thereafter went to bed and died in her sleep.
    You cannot contract any veneral disease including HIV from toilet seats, door handles, knobs or other usual public surfaces.
    It is claimed that HIV originated in Africa from natives there eating HIV infected Monkey flesh. Suggesting that it was a primate disease that 'jumped' to humans.
    I personally don't believe this. I think the virus is man made and was intended to be used to infect and kill off the black africans so there wouldn't be anyone to resist land take over.
    The American Indians and Hawaiians were similiarly infected and killed by giving them blankets and other object contanimated with Measles, Smallpox, Typus and Cholera virus. On the American continent and in the Hawaiian Islands these diseases were unknown prior to the coming of the white man. Therefore, they had not immunity or tolerance to these diseases and died in large numbers, thereby accomodating their 'liquidation' for their lands to be taken over.
    Last edited by coontie; 03-31-2007 at 03:29 AM.

I remember the hypodermic needle/gas pump thing going around the Internet several years ago. It seems to come back every few years. And, although it just seems to have come from some crackpot, there is a lot of crazy stuff really happening these days. You can't be too careful.

Quote Originally Posted by coontie
    Nicole Simpson was found to have a punctured abcess....died in her sleep.
    I thought Nicole Simpson died from the punctures O.J. put in her?

Quote Originally Posted by scambuster
    I thought Nicole Simpson died from the punctures O.J. put in her?
    a big OOPS!!!
    You are correct S.B. I meant to say Anna Nicole, not Nicole Brown S... That must have been stuck in my mind when I wrote the piece you are referring to. I think you picked up on whom I was really intending to mention. However, I recently saw on T.V., Court T.V.s 10 most sensational courtroom trial episodes. They went from # 10 on a countdown to # 1. Number 1 was the Simpson Case where it showed how flabbergasted ewveryone was over the outcome of the trial; Simpson and Attorneys that he WAS NOT found guilty and the Browns and others that he WAS NOT, AS WELL!. I found myself being amazed and suprised all over again at one of the most major travesties of justice of our time.
    It seems as though it comes down to if ANYONE can come up with major bucks for a 'Rolls-Royce' Attorney [Cochran drives, errrr, excuse me, is chauffered around in a R.R.] then this individual will get off 'Scott-free'!
    It ALL 'hinged' on the black leather glove; that was some of the best acting that Simpson ever pulled off in his life. And anyone that failed to be aware that a leather glove, especially of thin leather, that was blood-soaked and also exposed to overnight moisture from dew, when dried would be stiff and shrunk; they were certainly dismissing an important fact. Something that Simpson and his attorneys, in the manipulating, conniving cunningness DID NOT fail to recognize! Talk about SCAMS, that was one of the century...
    Anyhow, thanks for the heads up...
    I heard that the 'book' Simpson wrote: "If I had Done It" [what nerve!] will be auctioned off and the Brown's will get the proceeds. Blood money it is...literally!
    p.s. perhaps it is NOT good luck for a woman to have the name Nicole somewhere in her name? :eek: :rolleyes:
    Last edited by coontie; 04-01-2007 at 12:58 AM.

S.J.A> did some good investigatory work as well, re: Jacksonville, Florida and the correction regarding that Jacksonville has a Sheriff's Department rather than a Police Department.
    It is a throw-back to when Jacksonville long ago was named "Cow-Ford' as the City [then a town or village] is on the St. John's River. At a certain part of that location the river was then shallow enough to drive cattle across from one side to the other. Not true anymore as there has been extensive dredging of the river bed. The St. John's river originates out of Lake Ockachobee, which has many Spring feeding it. It is probably a depression in the Earth's surface caused by a large meteor strike long ago. THe river runs north and empties into the Atlantic Ocean. It is the only river on the N.A. continent that runs northwards.
    Jacksonville, Florida is also the largest city in the U.S. as all of Duval County was declared as Jacksonville about 30 years ago. That is; largest city, land-mass wise.
    I am originally from there, left when I went into the military service at 19 years of age. Seldom get back there.
    Besides, the saying: 'you cannot ever go back home' holds true there. The core city is nowhere as charming and viable as it was when I was young and growing up there. It is in serious decline and decay due to the 'faction' that predominates there now.