Poll: was this post helpful?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

28 Chevy buyer scam

Last week Leo McAnthony of teemotors2001@yahoo.co.uk sent the following email to me to purchase a 28 Chev roadster that I own.

James Tefft,
    I have spoken to my customer and concluded arrangement on the payment.He has instructed me to inform you that payment will get to you in a cashier check of $34,500 which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by him. Due to company policy this check has to be made out in this amount to you ,because company policy only allows a refund payment on one cashier check,so you are required to deduct cost of the car $28,000 when payment gets to you and refund balance $[6,500 ] to my customer via western union money transfer for him to be able to upset shipping charges After payment has reached you and balance sent back to him,our agent will come pick up title and taken to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer,while title papers and other necessary documets will be given to the agent at the time of the pickup.Confirm this and provide name, address and phone number for check payment to be delivered to you via fedex courier.
    Thank you,

seller scam?

alright i was looking at this car in auto trader recently and its a good 5-7 thousand dollars cheaper than the rest of this same vehicle. its in my area so of course im interested. i sent the guy an email and this is what i got back

hi.still available.clear title too.i`m in London
    permanently moved.the car is in my garage in Us.for
    informations pls mail me.best regards

now im not very experienced when it comes to buying cars and especially inexperienced when it comes to scams and what to look out for.
    this does however strike me as fishy because ive seen lots of those deals about people in other countries scamming people over here with car sales. can anyone give me a good opinion and tell me what to look out for if i do go about trying to purchase this car? any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you!

Re: seller scam?

well heres an update. this is for sure a scam.

hi.the vehicle is in USA at home in my garage.I don't
    have anyone there that could help me to sell it or
    show it to the possible buyers because I just moved in
    that city from New York and now we moved in UK.(me and
    my wife).I assure you that our vehicle is in excellent
    condition as stated and I have a clear title too.I
    want to make a face-to-face transaction because i
    think this is the safest way for both of us.Only me
    and my wife can come back in US to meet you to show
    you the car and finish the deal.For that we need a
    deposit(10%of the car price).The deposit is refundable
    if when we will meet and you will test drive the car
    and inspect it you don't like it or our vehicle has
    any mechanical problems.After we will receive the
    deposit we will come immediatly and meet you(we can
    come in weekend).You can do whatever you consider
    necessary before buy it.we just want you to be sure
    that you are buying an excellent condition car as
    stated.is not easy for us to come and meet you for
    nothing.we will spend lot of money and we will take
    some days off to meet you and hope you are serious
    too.if you have more questions please don't hesitate
    to write us an e-mail.Please reply only if you agree
    our conditions.Belive us that is hard to fiind a
    serious buyer and that's why we are asking for a
    deposit.Looking forward doing bussiness with you.

ahmedusa04 Guest

let me ask you first ....how old are you son and does your mom know you are fiddling with the computer gain or what.....dude you are either kidding and putting us on about this car thing or you are simly a missguided lost soul in serious need of hand holding here.....yes son this is a scam and a cheap one at that.....it would have been better if the guy said he was coming from another us city but coming all the frigin way from the uk to ny is just total bull**** with a big B......yes it is a scam alright and i wonder if the scammer has hooked any poor idiot out there.......and if the car is 7000 cheaper compared to a simmiler model then this is the scammers bait.....if it is too good to be true then its not true.....tell him you want a better price and are prepared to pay 15 percent less and i guarantee he will say ok after consulting with his wife....he has nothing to lose since the deposit money will never be refunded....whatever he gets is small profit.....say even that you cant pay the total deposit but only half and he will still say yes.......play him around and make it look like you are a total idiot and that should not be too hard to do in your case.....sorry mate only kidding.....tell me what happens later ok.....chow

Quote Originally Posted by ahmedusa04
    let me ask you first ....how old are you son and does your mom know you are fiddling with the computer gain or what.....dude you are either kidding and putting us on about this car thing or you are simly a missguided lost soul in serious need of hand holding here.....yes son this is a scam and a cheap one at that.....it would have been better if the guy said he was coming from another us city but coming all the frigin way from the uk to ny is just total bull**** with a big B......yes it is a scam alright and i wonder if the scammer has hooked any poor idiot out there.......and if the car is 7000 cheaper compared to a simmiler model then this is the scammers bait.....if it is too good to be true then its not true.....tell him you want a better price and are prepared to pay 15 percent less and i guarantee he will say ok after consulting with his wife....he has nothing to lose since the deposit money will never be refunded....whatever he gets is small profit.....say even that you cant pay the total deposit but only half and he will still say yes.......play him around and make it look like you are a total idiot and that should not be too hard to do in your case.....sorry mate only kidding.....tell me what happens later ok.....chow
    You do realize, anyone can follow you anywhere you post, and see how inconsistant you are? You are pathetic!!

Damn, you really need to be so hard on the kid? I mean, a simple "No dude, that's totally a scam would have been sufficent", don't you think?
    P.S. It's 'Ciao', not "Chow". It's Italian for the word 'Hey'.

Quote Originally Posted by Slickboy
    Damn, you really need to be so hard on the kid? I mean, a simple "No dude, that's totally a scam would have been sufficent", don't you think?
    P.S. It's 'Ciao', not "Chow". It's Italian for the word 'Hey'.
    Look at the posts from this guy, he has been driving people crazy in almost all threads for awhile now. It's just fun to keep him going, that's all. If you want a laugh, go to internet scams and read the thread "in defense of Nigerians"

Don't be a mark!!
    Last edited by brandoni68; 05-20-2005 at 02:50 AM.

Fake Cashiers Check from Overseas-EBAY..

There are numerous scams going around that have been tracked by the same people doing the Nigerian e-mail letters that are preying on individuals selling their cars on e-bay..

They send you a few really nice and friendly letters to gain your trust and then send a fake cashiers check or it may be a real one but, there is no money in the account to pay it..

Think about it. WHY would anyone want to buy a car from over seas and pay to have it shipped.. That would not make sense..

There is currently a good article on www.dallas.bbb.org regarding this scam..

Elvis just tried to scam me

This is what I got, I never even emailed him back the first time he contacted me>>>>
    "HI,

Thanks for your mail.I was trying to conclude issue of payment with my client.My client has finally accepted your price,he hopes the engine is serviced and oil changed too .He cant wait to see the car parked in his garage.
    Due to time constraint on the fact that we are running short of time,actually my client want to use the vehicle as a birthday gift to his wife. I am delighted to tell you that he has commended your vehicle and he has instructed me to carry on with this transaction, he also instructed me to inform you that payment will get to you in a cashier check of ($24,900) which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by my client. Due to company policy this check has to be made out in this amount to you ,because company policy only allows a refund payment on one cashier cheque. So you are required to deduct the cost of your vehicle ($16,900) when
    payment gets to you and refund balance ($8,000) to the shipper for him to be able to offset shipping & tax charges, and other cosmetic repair costs.
    After payment has reached you and balance sent to shipper, the
    shipper's agent will come for pick up of vehicle & signing of title
    papers,handle some cosmetic touches if any and drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer.
    Confirm this and forward your Names, Address and
    Phone number for payment to be made to you as soon as possible.
    Best regards
    Elvis."

a scam I just recieved

I have my vehicle listed at autotrader.com I have also recieved a voice mail from someone calling for their "client"

Hello Mr ,
    Thanks for your prompt response to my inquiry on your advertisement. I have spoken with the interested party on your final price and He has agreed to your final asking price of$9,500. for the lincoln . He has offered to make your payment via CERTIFIED BANK CHECK which will get to you in check made out in your favour for $16,000 (inclusive of the logistics, shipping, handling, inspection and sundry charges for the agent contracted by my client to handle this for him). The same agent will take care of these formalities on my client's behalf so please do not worry about shipping and all.
    Anyway, you are required to deduct the cost for your car which is $9,500. when the check gets to you and send the balance of $6,300 to the agent (this represents his fees, shipping and other sundry charges) for him to be able to offset general logistics, inspection and shipping charges, customs import duties and any applicable fees charged at point of entry and exit. The extra $200 is to offset the sundry/incidentary charges for charging the check and transfer charges for sending the agent's fees
    Once you receive your payment you will make arrangements to send the agent's logistics and services fees to to him so that he can begin His pick up arrangements. Once you give the go ahead He will come for the pick up of the car and subsequent delivery to my client. My client's shipping agent will come to your location to see the vehicle insitu and to take possession personally and sign the necessary contractual/ownership papers on my clients behalf. Details of how to send the agents fees will be given to you once you confirm that you have received your payment ok.
    If this arrangement is ok by you confirm this and Kindly forward your details below so that your check will be made out in your favour:
    (1) FULL NAMES (AS IT SHOULD BE WRITTEN ON THE CHECK SO THERE WILL BE NO ERRORS).
    (2) POSTAL/MAILING ADDRESS OF WHERE THE CHECK SHOULD BE SENT TO( please be sure to also include the post code of your location so that the check will not be sent to the wrong address).
    (3) PHONE /FAX NUMBER WHERE YOU CAN BE REACHED AT ALL TIMES.
    So that as soon as your payment is sent you will be contacted and so that agent can/will also contact you enroute to your location. If you let me have this details immediately I will pass it across to my client and He will make out the check payment in your favour and it will be sent to you ASAP
    Regards
    James Lowen.

Re: a scam I just recieved

i too have my car posted on Autotrader and received the same message from Fred Williams - however, i have received what appears to be a check from the UK. i have not given out the location of the car and will not do so until the check clears. what was the outcome of your matter?

I have not replied to this email. I reported it to my local police - who came to my house, I gave them a copy of the email. One of the policemen had a friend with a similar scam. This person wanted to see how far it could go and recieved the check, took it to his bank and cashed the check. After a month, the check came back insufficient, since he never spent the money or sent out the second check, nothing happened. This person never heard from the original email sender again.

I also reported this on the FBI web site.

very interseting - i just spoke with my local police department and informed the purported purchaser by email that i was going to wait to proceed until the check cleared. this is crazy. the problem is that right now no crime has been committed and if this guy is from the UK like he says - chasing him in Britain will be close to impossible. i will also report it on the fbi website. thank you for your response.

This kind of thing only has to work once in a blue moon to make "good business sense" to the perpetrators. I wonder how many are too embarassed to report it. I think that autotrader needs to become far more aggressive about informing their customers. This seems to be reaching epidemic proportions.

yes i have just recieved a scam email too listen to this

Hello SELLER,
    Thanks for the mail , the price is okay by my client i am ready to purchase from you immediately, i will offer you 2800 for the car .and i want you to delete the ads from the website,i have a reputable shipper that will take care of shipping from your end i want to let you know i have an associate in the state that is oweing me a sum of 5500. i will instruct him to issue you on my behalf and as soon as cheque arrives, you hold out your amount and send the difference to my shipper who will come for the pick up in your place, i hope i can trust you for my balance? and also you will be contacting my shipper with all neccesary information needed for pick up in your place i.e the actual weight and exact dimension of the car ,Kindly send all this requested
    NAME ON CHEQUE :.................
    ADDRESS:........ ............
    CITY:........ .....................
    STATE:................
    ZIPCODE:....................
    PHONE NUMBER#;.................
    MOBILE;..................
    HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON
    THANKS

what do you think of this one there should be a way of finding out where they live!!

Check the "This sounds fishy to me" thread, posted earlier in this section. There is a lot more detail on this scam.