+ Reply to Thread

2 mods from a Real Estate board duped me

I am seeking help as a fairly new and naive investor who was duped by 2 mods on a popular RE board.

These mods were featured in the success stories for years and I believed their advice to be legit.

I invested a lot with one mod on 2 RE deals. He then committed fraud and I couldn't locate him.
    I went to the message board to tell the other mods to have him contact me because I wanted to work something out without involving attorneys since he was still a mod.

Another mod contacted me through their site and said he would go after the other mod because he had a beef with him.
    He said he had spoken to the owner of the board all about what the 1st mod's did to me before he left to find him.

He found him and said this guy had all kinds of scams going on, but the bank was going to settle with me in 10 days so they could stay in 1st position.
    I was thrilled!

He stated he had a big deal settling the next week and asked for a loan for expenses, etc. until it came in. These mods presented themselves as wealthy and I wasn't worried. Yes, big mistake on my part.

The deadline came and went and now he refuses to contact me. Yes, I was a fool once again from the same board!

So I went back to the board to seek any information on the 2nd mod because he told me he knew them.
    Both were still featured as mods and their stories in the success section as of yesterday, 3-7-07.

One poster said that these mods should not be on the site as it gives them credibility to continue this behavior.
    I posted and said, please do not remove anything yet, I may need that information.

Today, I am locked out of the forum , can no longer post, my thread was deleted and both mods removed.

I find it very odd that both mods and the site reside in the same state.

I am a sad, devastated, retired woman in CA who was taken advantaged of because of my trust.
    Whom should I contact about this mess? What are my options?
    Any advice is appreciated.

Re: 2 mods from a Real Estate board duped me

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Investor
    I am seeking help as a fairly new and naive investor who was duped by 2 mods on a popular RE board.

These mods were featured in the success stories for years and I believed their advice to be legit.

I invested a lot with one mod on 2 RE deals. He then committed fraud and I couldn't locate him.
    I went to the message board to tell the other mods to have him contact me because I wanted to work something out without involving attorneys since he was still a mod.

Another mod contacted me through their site and said he would go after the other mod because he had a beef with him.
    He said he had spoken to the owner of the board all about what the 1st mod's did to me before he left to find him.

He found him and said this guy had all kinds of scams going on, but the bank was going to settle with me in 10 days so they could stay in 1st position.
    I was thrilled!

He stated he had a big deal settling the next week and asked for a loan for expenses, etc. until it came in. These mods presented themselves as wealthy and I wasn't worried. Yes, big mistake on my part.

The deadline came and went and now he refuses to contact me. Yes, I was a fool once again from the same board!

So I went back to the board to seek any information on the 2nd mod because he told me he knew them.
    Both were still featured as mods and their stories in the success section as of yesterday, 3-7-07.

One poster said that these mods should not be on the site as it gives them credibility to continue this behavior.
    I posted and said, please do not remove anything yet, I may need that information.

Today, I am locked out of the forum , can no longer post, my thread was deleted and both mods removed.

I find it very odd that both mods and the site reside in the same state.

I am a sad, devastated, retired woman in CA who was taken advantaged of because of my trust.
    Whom should I contact about this mess? What are my options?
    Any advice is appreciated.
    Your state Attorney General. Possibly the FBI if you have names and last known residence and receipts or something. Also, I guess Google might even have a cache or something like that of that thread. Contact username mj363 he could tell you how to find it. He found some here about some missing threads so I figure he must know what he is talking about.

You could then possibly get screen prints of the pages and site where that thread was.

I hope that helps,

Lady Mod

Thank you Lady.

I will get started and pray that I might have some success.

Luckily I captured the mods investment stories and some of their posts before they deleted everything today.

I will contact the user you suggested about my missing thread.
    Thanks again.

Hi - I recevied both of your messages - and would be happy to help in any way. I am sorry to hear that you were scammed.

I thought I would post here becaues the info could be used by other users - but if you have any private questions/followups - feel free to message me.

When google reviews a site for adding to its index, it actually takes a copy of all of the html excluding any images. If you are trying to find a post that no longer exists, go to google.com and:

1) You can specify to search only a specific site by putting "site:site.com" replacing site.com with your site name, and make sure site: is all lower case with no space between site: and the site name

2) to find the right posts - put anything you remember either as key words - or even better if you have an exact phrase put it in quotes:

For example ' site.com sojustask ' (strip the single quotes)
    Or 'site.com sojustask "real estate fraud" ' (strip the single quotes)

When you get a list of results there are two links at the bottom of each result "Cached" and "Similar Pages" click on the Cached and you can see what google has.

Make sure to save a copy off - because google will eventually loose the chaced copy.

- MikeJ

Thanks Mike.

I am such a computer dunce, but will try your instructions and let you know if I was successful.

Mike, I tried and couldn't find it. I will send you more info.
    Thanks

Excuse me, but what does mod mean?

Mods means Moderators on a forum.

Their job is to give experienced advice on this Real Estate board.

They still have their success stories up on the website.
    That's why I did deals with them, I had thought they were legit.

[QUOTE=I am seeking help as a fairly new and naive investor who was duped by 2 mods on a popular RE board.
    [/QUOTE]

You are not the only bird in the cage dear. I was caught by a mortgage broker. I got 1/4 of what I was to get in cash. It is now going on two years this March. During that time I learned the business that now I use an addendum in every deal that it is automatically cancelled if the figures are not as quoted. An addendum can be written to suit your contract. Remember always get solid collateral when loaning money.

I do not come to these site too often as I am very busy doing property searches for investment. If you have questions I will try to give you sound advise. First advice, try to do business locally. If you go out of state do your due diligence. I will not say anyone is dirt because I have no knowledge of whom you are referring to and I have never done business with. My philosophy is never give negative feedback of anyone you don't know.

I will not be back at this site for a while. If you have immediate questions feel free to email me ([email protected]) and I will reply within a few minutes or before 12 hours. Good luck.