+ Reply to Thread

Interested in having a website, need advice

Hi everyone,

I am looking into affiliate marketing and want to create a website (possibly on music, love music) that is not expensive to start or host. Any advice on where to start? Someone mentioned Homestead but just wondering if there are other good ones to start out with as well. I don't have alot of $ to start out with at this point. Thanks in advance! :)

Michelle

Re: Interested in having a website, need advice

try vodahost, they have excellent web design software, loads of features and a free domain when you sign up.

http://www.jobkillerbiz.com/vodahost.html

I use www.godaddy.com. Not sure how price compares but securing the domain was very inexpensive and the hosting packages start at 2.99 per month.

Good luck.

Junior

Get a domain name at GoDaddy unless your hosting plan offers one. GoDaddy is great for domains, but personally I don't like their hosting. There is a deal at Dreamhost where you can get an entire year for less than $10. I believe you can plug in the coupon code "777" and it will lower the price to $7.xx for the entire year. If that doesn't work, let me know.

ALSO, Netfirms is having the $10 per year thing going on again. I'm not sure how they are as a host, but they seem decent. Go to Netfirms.com/PCMag and it will give you a coupon code to plug in which will give you a year of Netfirms Advantage + 2 free domains for $10. :)
    YF Direct/Netblue sites (like GadgetCity.com) are legitimate. I got my Xbox 360! :D

Remember, you MUST complete the offers as directed at the top of every page. There is a line in the t-erms and conditions that says so.

Creating sites nowadays is just a walk in the park. It's not a rocket science anymore life before. I'd check with Dreamhost since they have a one click install type of package.

You say you want to do affiliate marketing but you want to do it around music. Have you done research into the type of audience you want to attract to your site? What kind of affiliate music programs will you offer?

The reason being is that if you just want to approach this as a hobby then it pretty much doesn't matter what website you build on (Wix, Blogger, Wordpress.com, etc...)

If you're serious about building a business, and you've done the research to prove to yourself that you want to make money at this, then you'll want to get a hosting plan and put a Wordpress blog on it (the kind you host yourself).

You have to be really clear as to what you want or else you're going to waste a lot of time and effort.

I agree with crisstar. Take a step back. Whats your plan? I work from home for myself and make a great income. I highly encourage you to do it. It will be the best thing to ever happen to you. But is a lot of work and you need a plan. It sounds like at this stage even spending 2.99 a month would be a waste of money. Building a website may be easy but getting people to come to it and buy stuff isn't.

Why will people buy from you?
    How are you driving traffic to your website?
    What's your niche?

And the list goes on. I fully encourage you to go for it. Just get a plan together.

conserv4ever is offline You Can't Handle the Truth! User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleO View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am looking into affiliate marketing and want to create a website (possibly on music, love music) that is not expensive to start or host. Any advice on where to start? Someone mentioned Homestead but just wondering if there are other good ones to start out with as well. I don't have alot of $ to start out with at this point. Thanks in advance! :)

Michelle
    If you know anything about web software (Dreamweaver etc) nearlyfreespeech.net is very inexpensive, but they don't have much in the way of support, but you only pay for hosting as you use it. Another host I use is 2mhost.com If you can afford it, Hostgator great. Their baby plan allows unlimited domains starting at around 6.50 a month.

If you want free hosting, a blogspot site does well in the search engines with a little effort.

Also check out Wix.com If you buy a domain (namecheap.com or godaddy.com), you can direct the name to the free hosting site.

vistaprint.com