DOES KARMA =dogma exist or is their somehing more. I don't seek
    discordians, anarchists to tell me their opinions, OF COURSE YOU DON'T
    BELIEVE IN KARMA. I am seeking pagans, christians, etc,
    that would share with me their view that karma is some
    security blanket to sooth a frightened child public who fears
    anarchy.

Little bear

Re: KARMA the emotional security blankey, DOGMA=Karma

That's a tough question because I do think it depends on the different ideas about karma out there--and despite the 'dictionary definition', everybody's got a different idea about it.

In some ways--a tool of political repression. You were born in a lower caste, or poor, or disabled, or whatever, because you deserve it. So be accepting of your lot in life. Not so uncommon in the West, either--Malthus and Ayn Rand fans can make quite a lot of hay out of this one.

Preventing anarchy? I suppose it can be used that way, too. If you don't behave, you'll come back as a flounder? Or your next life will be filled with unimaginable misery?

Thing is, people have argued that the death penalty is a deterrent to serious crime. Yet the countries that have a death penalty seem to have the most violent crimes. I don't think anyone who's hell-bent on hurting people is going to take karma too seriously.

The concept of an eye for an eye is interpreted in Judaism as if you injure somebody you have to pay for their medical treatment, lost wages, and pain. It's not ideal, but it's there to prevent vengeance. Somewhat useful, very pragmatic. Yet Christians interpret it as meaning if somebody hurts you, you're supposed to do unto them the same way.

What bothers me most about the concept of karma generally is there's an awful mindless feeling to it, at least as most people interpret it.

Say you kill somebody in some past lifetime (we'll say time is linear and past lifetimes exist for the sake of argument), and seven lifetimes down the road, you get murdered--not even knowing about the past lifetime. Not really fair. Then of course, a few lifetimes after that, your murderer gets murdered--equally unknowing.

Which doesn't seem so much like justice, more like mindless barbarism stretched out over aeons.

Or at least I'd never want to run into a God who came up with a system like that.

Maybe, just maybe, there's a little more randomness to the universe than that, and for the It that's the All of Everything to be the All of Everything, It has to experience it All. Which is what we do here.

No excuse for not being a decent person, though. Is humanity so hopeless that without the threat of eternal punishment or lifetimes of misery we wouldn't behave?

Think we're going in the wrong direction with that one, though there's plenty of evidence otherwise for the cynics.

As to what karma might really be? Different discussion, I think.

Most people do get what they deserve, at least that's what I want to believe. I lost a lot of money to a scammer and I hope he pays for it dearly whether in this life or another. So yes, I agree with your view about karma, it is a blanket to soothe frightened investors who loathe scammers.
    I lost $15,000 to scammer Lutz Meyerding. Don't invest with him!!!!

I tha reaction of what we our self put out in to the universe ink dogma is somthing a religion puts on a person, and Karma is somthing we put on our self as A reaction, to breaking Universal laws, by accident or not.
    The way we live our lives is directly proportionate to the universe and this way, those who make up the universe treat us as individual spirits of the whole, the only way to learn these things is to experience them first hand, and in that we are learning our eternal spirit and doing good and moving ever foward,,,This is education of the highest, and baptism by fire. Sompthing Dogma cant teach, or touch.

Dogma tries to control , and Judge Karma which is universal, while Dogma is man made, and needs karma to even exist.
    Karma is the infinate law of love, which cannot be Judged

Love Omnaka

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexKid
    What bothers me most about the concept of karma generally is there's an awful mindless feeling to it, at least as most people interpret it.

Say you kill somebody in some past lifetime (we'll say time is linear and past lifetimes exist for the sake of argument), and seven lifetimes down the road, you get murdered--not even knowing about the past lifetime. Not really fair. Then of course, a few lifetimes after that, your murderer gets murdered--equally unknowing.

Which doesn't seem so much like justice, more like mindless barbarism stretched out over aeons.

Your entire post was great; I just want to comment that Mahatmah Gandhi
    said "eye for an eye ---- leaves the whole world blind" which is something to think on with your explaination of karma. There is one sin which leads to
    a all out vendetta Godfather style ; when you think about the karmic snow bal of violence rolling out of control.

Littlebear

Quote Originally Posted by rickfromflorida
    Most people do get what they deserve, at least that's what I want to believe.

THANK YOU so much for your honesty. So many people spout off I believe "x'
    with the implied supposition "x" must be true because I don't lie.
    You admit that your beliefs are beliefs and not self-evident facts.
    good go in'

Littlebear

[QUOTE=Omnaka]

My KARma ran over your DOGma? hee hee

JK, but I do hear ya.

Littlebear

Quote Originally Posted by Omnaka
    I tha reaction of what we our self put out in to the universe ink dogma is somthing a religion puts on a person, and Karma is somthing we put on our self as A reaction, to breaking Universal laws, by accident or not.
    The way we live our lives is directly proportionate to the universe and this way, those who make up the universe treat us as individual spirits of the whole, the only way to learn these things is to experience them first hand, and in that we are learning our eternal spirit and doing good and moving ever foward,,,This is education of the highest, and baptism by fire. Sompthing Dogma cant teach, or touch.

Dogma tries to control , and Judge Karma which is universal, while Dogma is man made, and needs karma to even exist.
    Karma is the infinate law of love, which cannot be Judged

Love Omnaka
    I understand what you are saying. Life is like a temporary hell in which we learn and grow through suffering. .
    "Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held. Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin. Believe nothing just because someone else believes it. Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true."

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexKid

When we are born we like and dislike certain things. That is probably the result of the karmic lesson
    Last edited by Qi123; 03-07-2007 at 11:01 AM.
    "Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held. Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin. Believe nothing just because someone else believes it. Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true."