Thread: Seti

Seti

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SETI
    "Ethics" is simply a last-gasp attempt by deist conservatives and
    orthodox dogmatics to keep humanity in ignorance and obscurantism,
    through the well tried fermentation of fear, the fear of science and
    new technologies.
    There is nothing glorious about what our ancestors call history,
    it is simply a succession of mistakes, intolerances and violations.

Re: Seti

Wikipedia has done it again. The SETI entry is an excellent example of a non-biased overview of the history and state-of-the-of-the-art regarding the search for ET communication. I believe in the existence, in the universe, of countless civilizations with our intelligence and greater. I also believe that, within any one galaxy, it is a rare occurrence. The odds we will observe an intelligent signal, in our lifetime, are probably tiny--to say the least. This is one instance in which I would like to be proven wrong(which, by the way, rarely happens).
    Last edited by phlipper; 03-03-2007 at 08:16 PM.

Wake up people!!!

SETI is a fraud!
    You should list this thread under Govít scams.
    SETI has been proven to be a front designed to divert even more money from the taxpayers into the NSA and other agencies in Alphabet city.
    A clever PR campaign included several pointless movies to rodeo computer geeks and star gazers into believing that any significant amount of money would actually be spent on this delusional fantasy.
    All the spooks in the NSA and the CIA are having a jolly good laugh at your expense since now all this money is being used to spy on YOU!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phinnly Slash Buster
    Wake up people!!!

SETI is a fraud!
    SETI has been proven to be a front designed to divert even more money from the taxpayers into the NSA and other agencies in Alphabet city.
    A clever PR campaign included several pointless movies to rodeo computer geeks and star gazers into believing that any significant amount of money would actually be spent on this delusional fantasy.
    All the spooks in the NSA and the CIA are having a jolly good laugh at your expense since now all this money is being used to spy on YOU!!!
    1) You are right. SETI is a waste of taxpayer money, if we are still funding it. I'm not sure this is any longer the case.
    2) No CIA big dish antenna's gonna spy on me. I have a tin foil leisure suit + reflector hat.

Wake up people!!!

SETI is a fraud!
    I think it is rather harsh to call it a fraud.

SETI has been proven to be so?

Show me this proof?
    new technologies.

Quote Originally Posted by phlipper
    Wikipedia has done it again. The SETI entry is an excellent example of a non-biased overview of the history and state-of-the-of-the-art regarding the search for ET communication..
    Surely this contradicts what you stated a couple of posts later, non?

Steve
    new technologies.

Quote Originally Posted by enlightenment
    Surely this contradicts what you stated a couple of posts later, non?

Steve
    Pas du tout!

~~Phil
    Last edited by phlipper; 03-04-2007 at 07:17 AM.

Seti@home http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/ is run by Boinc http://boinc.berkeley.edu/
    Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing and has nothing to do with government agencies but depends solely on donations from it users and sponsors, the idea is to use unused processor power on pc's to crunch data gained from the Acerbo radio telescope to detect spikes in signals, possible signs of ET.

There are many worthwhile projects http://boinc.berkeley.edu/projects.php that involve data crunching....

WCG analyses data for possible cures for Aids, cancer...
    CPDN analyses data for weather patterns, global warming etc, Seasonal Attribution project analyses data from the floods in England 2000.
    LHC will be analysing data for Hadron Collider in Switzerland.
    Malariacontrol.net looks for ways to deal with malaria
    Rosetta@home looks for cures for human diseases...
    + more dealing with proteins, mathematics, nanotechnology, chemistry, search for pulsars.

Take a look, I currently do about 30 projects and they are all for the benefit of mankind, best off all its free & fun, you can join a team which usually have a forum.

Go on take a look you've got nothing to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpyuk
    Take a look, I currently do about 30 projects and they are all for the benefit of mankind, best off all its free & fun, you can join a team which usually have a forum.

Go on take a look you've got nothing to lose.
    I have been meaning to do that. It is nice to be able to be able to choose a project to be involved in. I may not feel that SETI is as promising as some other project but I certainly encourage others to persue their choices. It's a shame to have all this computer power sitting around doing nothing pumping out mindless drivel.

The chances that the human race will ever contact inteligent life outside our solar system is so astronomically small as to be nearly impossible. The last civilization to have the technology to detect us might have evolved and become extinct billions of years ago and the distances their comunications, radio or otherwise, have to travel to get here may not arrive until after the earth no longer exists. The signals that we've sent out, radio from the mid 20s will not arrive on their planet for billions of years yet and when it finally does that civilzation may no longer exist or has yet to evolve.

Perhaps there is the possibility of other life out there but the chances of us communicating with them is so remote it is hard to calculate. Seti is a waste of taxpayer dollars.
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

Wake up people!!!

SETI is a fraud!
    SETI was originally government funded but for years now it has been run independently and is run on donations. I was running their @Home program for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    The chances that the human race will ever contact inteligent life outside our solar system is so astronomically small as to be nearly impossible. The last civilization to have the technology to detect us might have evolved and become extinct billions of years ago and the distances their comunications, radio or otherwise, have to travel to get here may not arrive until after the earth no longer exists. The signals that we've sent out, radio from the mid 20s will not arrive on their planet for billions of years yet and when it finally does that civilzation may no longer exist or has yet to evolve.

Perhaps there is the possibility of other life out there but the chances of us communicating with them is so remote it is hard to calculate. Seti is a waste of taxpayer dollars.
    I totally agree with you. While ET signals would be the find of the century, and while I believe there are thousands of civilizations "out there", the magnatude of distances involved are beyond most people's ability to imagine. The original signal would have to be quite powerful, quite focused, and most intentionaly aimed.

Quote Originally Posted by phlipper
    The original signal would have to be quite powerful, quite focused, and most intentionaly aimed.
    At precisely the moment in a time span of 13.75 billion years to intercept us for the figurative micro second that humans will exist. The times and distances are so astrinomical in size that it would be easier to to shoot a bullet out of the air.

Random thought.

Our skies are fulll of signals from earth. From television, etc.

At one time, Baywatch was the most watched television programme on earth!

If an alien civilisation picked up earth signals, it might be feasible that what they would see, would be our entertainment.

Consequently, we might pick up their entertainment, whatever it might be.
    new technologies.

..Consequently, we might pick up their entertainment, whatever it might be.
    The first recorded signal is probably going to be the incessant beeping of some aliens car alarm. It will be early on a Sunday morning--their time. :)

Random thought.

Our skies are fulll of signals from earth. From television, etc.

At one time, Baywatch was the most watched television programme on earth!

If an alien civilisation picked up earth signals, it might be feasible that what they would see, would be our entertainment.

Consequently, we might pick up their entertainment, whatever it might be.
    I believe that the very first tv broadcast was of Hitler openning the 1936 olympics in berlin. That should give whoever's out there a startling impression of humans. :eek: