+ Reply to Thread

Are they scamming all of US?

According to a suit , online travel sites like EXPEDIA contract with hotels for rooms at negotiated, discounted rates, then mark the rooms up when they sell them to the public. They charge and collect taxes from occupants based on the marked-up room rates but only pay the city taxes based on the lower, negotiated room rates and then pocket the difference (millions of U$D).

Some cities are looking for a Class Action Suit (this is one of the last one).

If this is true they are scamming all tax payers. ALl that money they pocketed could have been used for education or social programs instead of going to greedy companies.

What is the IRS doing? This debate have been going on for a while. Isn't the IRS responsible to collect taxes from hotels too? They should know the legal aspects of this matter.

Re: Are they scamming all of US?

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherPyrScheme View Post
    Sounds sketchy...

Dude are you schizo?? How many times are you gonna say sounds sketchy? 70 posts in 30 minutes?

Jesus!

This is totally what will happen if online sales are taxed...

Quote Originally Posted by Doe3001 View Post
    According to a suit , online travel sites like EXPEDIA contract with hotels for rooms at negotiated, discounted rates, then mark the rooms up when they sell them to the public. They charge and collect taxes from occupants based on the marked-up room rates but only pay the city taxes based on the lower, negotiated room rates and then pocket the difference (millions of U$D).

Some cities are looking for a Class Action Suit (this is one of the last one).

If this is true they are scamming all tax payers. ALl that money they pocketed could have been used for education or social programs instead of going to greedy companies.

What is the IRS doing? This debate have been going on for a while. Isn't the IRS responsible to collect taxes from hotels too? They should know the legal aspects of this matter.
    econobiker
    "The debt collection industry and the alternative legal system that has been created around it can no longer be ignored by the federal government," US Representative Dennis Kucinich said July 22, 2009

Update!Consumers gaining ground against mandatory binding arbitration- see:

http://www.cutimes.com/Issues/2009/A...bitration.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by econobiker View Post
    This is totally what will happen if online sales are taxed...
    Don't think so. This is different. The travel companies are collecting the taxes on the retail amount they charge and are only paying taxes on the wholesale contracted rate. They're stealing the excess taxes and putting them in their own pockets.

Buying items online to avoid paying the taxes is a whole different ball game. I totally endorse that and practice it as my own form of a tax protest. I'll even pay a few cents more to buy online than to pay the state sales tax, but most often, it's cleaper to buy online anyway.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/news/NewsR...inglawsuit.asp
    As of April23, 2010, I will no longer participate as a moderator or member of a site where posts and threads are removed unjustly by the ADMIN or a rogue mod.

Quote Originally Posted by No_Moron_Here View Post
    Buying items online to avoid paying the taxes is a whole different ball game. I totally endorse that and practice it as my own form of a tax protest. I'll even pay a few cents more to buy online than to pay the state sales tax, but most often, it's cleaper to buy online anyway.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/news/NewsR...inglawsuit.asp
    First timer here but i saw this and to LOL as I do the exact same thing!