+ Reply to Thread

The Goldilocks Enigma (Or why is our universe just right?)

Also known as the anthropic coincidences, our universe appears to be fine tuned for life. Now personally I find the weak anthropic principle a satisfactory explanation, but there are other possibilities and that is the purpose of this post. I particularly like this theory because it brings together ideas from physics and biology.

According to David Horowitz, singularities do not occur in reality. Now, as of the present day we have no evidence that there ever was a singularity that sparked the big bang. We know that the theory of general relativity predicts a singularity, but no evidence. If there are no singularities it means that time may continue back into the past before the big bang.

Horowitz believes in a sort of cyclic model of the universe. That is to say that preceeding the big bang there was a collapse of some other universe. This is not a new theory.

What is different though is that Horowitz proposes that the preceeding universe was not all that different from our own as far as physical laws and the anthropic values are concerned. If this is the case, then observation of our universe suggests that it could not have been a collapse of an entire universe that sparked the creation of our own, because our own universe looks set to expand indefinately (because of dark energy). If it wasn't the collapse of an entire universe it must have been the collapse of a subset of the universe - we know this as a black hole.

Now imagine if each universe's physical laws and constants were slightly different to the preceeding universe - we would have variation. If having more black holes leads to more offspring universe then we have selection. Can you see where I'm going with this? Cosmic evolution.

After a sufficient period of time, if we were to pick a universe at random from the entire family of all universes, we would expect to find one with a lot of black holes - ie. if we are in a universe where the anthropic values are 'just right' for producing black holes we should not be at all surprised, in fact, that is exactly what we would expect.

So does our universe have a lot of black holes? It seems so, but its not a trivial proof. The challenge has been left open since 1993 for someone to show that we are not at a local maximum for black hole production but so far no one has been able to. The theists may have been right that our universe is fine-tuned - Its just that is fine-tuned for black holes, not for us.

Having said all that, there are some pretty serious flaws in this theory. Most likely fatal flaws, but still, its a nice idea :)

Re: The Goldilocks Enigma (Or why is our universe just right?)

One of the few attributes of this forum that keeps me comming back are posts like this. I consider myself a free thinker but this is not the first time you or aegist or subjunk and some others have sent me off frantically researching something I'd have never thought of, Kazza. I'll post a reply after I've learned just a smidgeon to fool some here that I know what I'm talking about. Muchas gracias mi amigo.
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

Quote Originally Posted by kazza
    ...The challenge has been left open since 1993 for someone to show that we are not at a local maximum for black hole production but so far no one has been able to.
    I have the proof that we are not at a local maximum for black hole production but there is no way you scambusters are going to pry it out of me. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :rolleyes:

here's my first impressions of this theory.....it's gettin closer to truth!?and it reminds me of the max hiendel cosmic evolution theory of the order of the ROSECRUTIANS!?and the most ancient religious writings of asian INDIAN origins!?why dont you check it out!?does a black hole indicate it's possible to live at the speed of light!?that all there is is light/darkness!?hehe!!.....just askin....

Quote Originally Posted by phlipper
    I have the proof that we are not at a local maximum for black hole production but there is no way you scambusters are going to pry it out of me. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :rolleyes:
    just like you,this also caught my attention!?i would like a further explanation to relate it to phsycological process(ing!?)hehe!!.....just askin....

O-M-G I think you are from another universe......I consider myself an above average IQ'ed person but wow, after being on this site for only a few minutes, I feel stupid!

This is an amazing thread, thank you for the new obsession, reading all I can on this and trying to figure it out. I am still up to my butt in alligators with the STRING THEORY.....THANKS A LOT...HAHAHAHA :confused:

No really, GREAT POST!

Quote Originally Posted by SLIPPYSKE
    O-M-G I think you are from another universe......I consider myself an above average IQ'ed person but wow, after being on this site for only a few minutes, I feel stupid!

This is an amazing thread, thank you for the new obsession, reading all I can on this and trying to figure it out. I am still up to my butt in alligators with the STRING THEORY.....THANKS A LOT...HAHAHAHA :confused:

No really, GREAT POST!
    Kazza and Subjunk will entertain you alot here. But my head hurts at bedtime often. :cool:
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    Kazza and Subjunk will entertain you alot here. But my head hurts at bedtime often. :cool:
    Thanks for the heads up, it is apparent I will need to up my game for this site, and keep tylenol by the bed, maybe a valium....hahaha :D

Ekpyrotic Universe as opposed to the Big Bang. It takes branes.

This is interesting, a perfect example of something I was saying in one of the other "science is a religion/scientists don't know anything/science can't prove anything" threads.

Cautionary note:

As a final remark, we feel that it is important to realize that inflationary theory is based on quantum field theory, a well-established theoretical framework, and the model has been carefully studied and vetted for twenty years. Our proposal is based on unproven ideas in string theory and is brand new. While we appreciate the enthusiasm and interest with which the paper has been received, we would suggest some patience before promulgating these ideas in order to leave time for us to produce some follow-up papers that introduce additional elements and to allow fellow theorists time for criticism and sober judgment.
    Imagine a religious site posting a similar disclaimer at the end of an article about Noah's flood.

One of the interesting things I've come across with this sort of stuff is the idea that the total energy of the universe may be identically zero.

Since Gravitational energy is negative (ie. it consumes energy to seperate two gravitationally bound objects) and kinetic is positive, the two may exactly balance each other out. The nice thing about this is that it only takes a tiny bit of energy to get the whole process started (and small bits of energy can come into existance on their own because of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle) and then inflation takes over and turns that small fluctuation into an entire universe - all with absolutely no energy.

i just browsed this article?sounds esoteric if ya ask me?i would note that it said this universe began as/with fire?what's fire?really?but scripture does say our god is an all consuming fire?or somethin to that effect?did your wide open mind catch that?hehe!!.....just askin...