+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walmart Scam

Wal-Mart; Crimes Against Humanity!

Hi All,
    PLEASE DO NOT BUY @ WAL-MART!!!!!!! Please go the following web-sites and you will understand. From all I have read about Sam Walton, he would NOT be proud of what is happening!
    1) www. dateline@nbc.com program 6/17/05 "Human Cost Behind Bargain
    Shopping!"
    2) www.frontline@pbs.org program 6/14/05 "Wal-Mart... Is It Good For
    America?"
    3) www.gilbert-boxleitner.com Message, Anything to Melissa, Don't shop
    Wal-Mart and read how Wal-Mart employees in the US are being
    treated!
    Folks, Wal-Mart is in bed with the Chinese BIG TIME! They single handedly have cost the US more than one million jobs. Wal-Mart is causing the $ 16-18.00 hourly jobs to go to China, then offer to hire those out of work a job @ $ 6-8.00 hourly. Wal-Mart is dictating to the American public what they think our standard of living should be. Who made them God? Please send this to everyone you know! Wal-Mart needs stopped!

Re: Wal-Mart; Crimes Against Humanity!

Wal-Mart store tells workers to be ready to work any shift
    NITRO, W.Va. (AP) — Workers at a West Virginia Wal-Mart (WMT) store have been ordered to be available to work any shift at any time or face dismissal.

The new "open-availability" policy at the Wal-Mart store in Nitro is needed to ensure there is adequate staff during peak hours, said John Knuckles, a manager at the store.

"We have many people with set schedules who aren't here when we need them for our customers," Knuckles said.

"It is to take care of the customers, that's the only reason."

Workers who cannot commit to being available for any shift between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m., seven days a week, will be fired by the end of this week. The store employs more than 400 workers.

"It shouldn't cause any problem, if they are concerned about their customers," Knuckles said.

Wal-Mart corporate spokesman Dan Fogelman said other stores have such rules.

"This is something that is done throughout Wal-Mart stores," Fogelman said. "The reality of retail is that our busiest times are evenings and weekends, so it only makes sense that we have higher staffing levels at those times."

Workers who are fired because they cannot meet the new requirement likely will qualify for unemployment benefits, said David McMahon with Legal Aid of West Virginia.

"If these people lose their jobs through no fault of their own, as a general rule they will be eligible for unemployment benefits," McMahon said Wednesday.

A union spokesman criticized the policy at the non-union retailer's store.

"This is a chilling new direction for Wal-Mart," said Chris Kofinis, communications adviser for Wake Up Wal-Mart, a promotional campaign financed by the United Food and Commercial Workers union. "It shows that when you work at Wal-Mart, you can neither afford a decent standard of life or even have a life."

Information from: The Charleston Gazette

Quote Originally Posted by ohlady
    Hi All,
    PLEASE DO NOT BUY @ WAL-MART!!!!!!! Please go the following web-sites and you will understand. From all I have read about Sam Walton, he would NOT be proud of what is happening!
    1) www. dateline@nbc.com program 6/17/05 "Human Cost Behind Bargain
    Shopping!"
    2) www.frontline@pbs.org program 6/14/05 "Wal-Mart... Is It Good For
    America?"
    3) www.gilbert-boxleitner.com Message, Anything to Melissa, Don't shop
    Wal-Mart and read how Wal-Mart employees in the US are being
    treated!
    Folks, Wal-Mart is in bed with the Chinese BIG TIME! They single handedly have cost the US more than one million jobs. Wal-Mart is causing the $ 16-18.00 hourly jobs to go to China, then offer to hire those out of work a job @ $ 6-8.00 hourly. Wal-Mart is dictating to the American public what they think our standard of living should be. Who made them God? Please send this to everyone you know! Wal-Mart needs stopped!
    Thank you for sharing this information, I use to shop Wal-Mart all the time, and began to notice how they had begun to change, hiring contractors to be stock clerks, and the quality of the store is really gone down. Again, thanks for the info.

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

I posted this on the 26th about Walmart in the politics forum.

http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?t=6683

It seems I found the story a day ahead of CNN reporting it.

My daughter works at WalMart. Monday she is applying for work at Home Depot and Lowes. After reading this story and then the news breaking it, well, she knows there is no future as a WalMart employee. She even took the story and the memo I printed up, all 27 pages of it to work with her. I think she left it in the lounge for other employees to read.

Namaste'

Lady Mod

Can you stand another Wal-mart thread?

Last year, I phoned in for a refill on my prescriptions. The system at my local Wal-mart is automated, and gives a time frame for pick up. I couldn't make it that day, so I went in the following day to pick them up. I was told that because I hadn't picked them up within the time frame, they had been returned to stock. Isn't it illegal to return prescription drugs to thier containers after they have been counted out?

Re: Can you stand another Wal-mart thread?

no, its not.

Referenced from http://mercola.com/2003/dec/3/walmart_jobs.htm

The Wal-Mart You Don't Know, and the Eventual U.S. Decline

Wal-Mart is the world's largest company--it does more business than Target, Sears, Kmart, J.C. Penney, Safeway and Kroger combined. But, while they offer consumers low prices, the low prices don’t come without a cost.

Wal-Mart’s 21,000 suppliers are under high pressure from the company to provide cheaper and cheaper goods--and a lot of them. The only solution for many companies is to close down shop in the United States and use overseas suppliers. As written in the article, "One way to think of Wal-Mart is as a vast pipeline that gives non-U.S. companies direct access to the American market."

Vendors who do business with Wal-Mart are likely to experience an initial jump in sales but may have to face consequences to their brand and business later on.

It is American shoppers who ultimately gave Wal-Mart their power, but will we realize the consequences of these low prices before it’s too late?

Fast Company December 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dr. Mercola's Comment:
    Wal-Mart's acceleration is inevitable. The United States is on a rapid downhill trend that will devastate our economy unless we wake up. There is no way the world is going to stand by and tolerate our excess spending and earnings when they are earning so little.

Wal-Mart will make sure that many U.S. jobs go overseas. While that buys us cheaper products, it also presents a dilemma in that many will be forced to find new jobs. This is also happening in the high-tech industry. Much of the programming is shifting overseas--I did it three years ago. I hired four Polish programmers for my Web site for the price of one U.S. programmer.

My guess is that we need to shore up our savings in anticipation of an eventual economic decline.

Wal-Mart Critics Launch New Movie You Can See at No Charge
    Posted: 16-11-2005 | Views: 15
    Author: Joseph Mercola

Recently, the documentary "Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price" was released in about25 theaters nationwide.

But the director, Robert Greenwald, is hoping that the movie will be shown for free in thousands of homes and churches throughout November. The film was made on a budget of under $2 million, which is tiny compared to that of most movies.

Wal-Mart Recruits a War Room

Wal-Mart is worried that the unflattering film may become a cult hit along the lines of Michael Moore's film about General Motors, "Roger & Me." In response to this and other public relations problems, Wal-Mart has recruited former presidential advisers to set up a rapid-response public relations team.

A Counterattack

Wal-Mart has already produced a short video claiming Greenwald's contains factual errors. Greenwald noted that their objections were based not on the film, but on a preview posted online. Wal-Mart has also begun to promote a second film, "Why Wal-Mart Works & Why That Makes Some People Crazy."

Stock Price Dropping

Wal-Mart's stock price has fallen 27 percent in the past five years, which may reflect investors' worries about the company's image. Two to8 percent of Wal-Mart customers have ceased shopping at the chain as a result of "negative press they have heard."

Cheating Workers and Destroying Towns"Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price" accuses Wal-Mart managers of cheating workers out of overtime pay and encouraging them to seek state-sponsored health care when they cannot afford the company's insurance. The film also examines the effects on independent businesses when a Wal-Mart opens nearby.

New York Times November 1, 2005 Registration Required

Dr. Mercola's Comment:Although I admire the organizational structure that has allowed Wal-Mart to achieve what they have, I strongly disagree with many of their practices and never shop in their stores. (I much prefer their competitor Costco, which is one of my absolute favorite stores.)

If you're at all on the fence about Wal-Mart and their business practices -- some of which border on the frightening -- you'll want to see the documentary, Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price.

I also urge you to read the entirety of the New York Times article summarized above, as it gives an eye-opening glimpse of "Action Alley," Wal-Mart's war room inside its Bentonville, Ark., headquarters, where it monitors consumer reactions and media news about the company.

I look forward to viewing the documentary and have ordered it at their site. However,many of you can now, or will soon be able to, see it for free at a location near you.

This article is free for republishing

i just watched the walmart movie............what a buncha junk!!blame it all on walmart crusade!!not that walmart has not become a runaway money game.i see that too!!the sell to the public is obviously based on youcant understand we'll feed you a cheap shot leave out the facts use your losin personal gripes attempt at quashing or pressuring the execs to change theirways or get outa town.typical politically based hype!!it's just a game!!like war!!who cares who gets hurt!!who gets in line for the rewards!!who sets back and enjoys the festivities unruffled!?the world is gettin smaller!? :eek: :p :D

I do not understand...do what? You want to legislate against the right ofr them to exist? If they break laws they should be prosecuted. What else can be done? They just happen to be winning the game. No one likes to see smaller stres close down, but no one will pay a dime more for toilet paper to keep them open. Big fish eats little fish.

Before anyone asks, Yes, I currently work at Wal-Mart...it's not somewhere I plan to make a career of but it pays the bills for now until I find something better. I just want to say that while yes, everyone has a right to their own opinion, so do I and here it is.
    First of all, does it suck that more and more products sold in the US come from overseas factories? Yes, absolutely because it takes jobs away from the US...but don't for one second, think that Wal-Mart is the only one doing it. Have you ever looked at all the high end clothing you find in the malls? Most of their clothes are made overseas too and they cost more! And Sears, Target, K-Mart, and any other store you shop in is gonna have most of their stuff made from overseas factories too. If Wal-Mart or any other company were to stop buying things overseas and started buying from manufacturers who only made products in the US, would you pay the extra cost? Unless you have a lot of money....most of us wouldn't because we can't afford it. It'd be great if we could all afford to pay more for stuff we buy but we don't live in a society like that.
    Secondly, I don't know about other stores, but my store does not make me have an open availability 7 days a week. I am currently a full time employee and am only available 5 and a half days a week. I have never been approached about my availability. Some stores might be different though and that does suck for them.
    Lastly, if anyone thinks that Wal-Mart pays poorly, they really don't. Yeah, you're not gonna make as much as you would in another profession but this is retail ladies and gentleman...it doesn't pay great no matter where you work unless you work on commission...in college I worked at another retail company and they paid less and I also have friends who work at clothing, shoe, and video game stores in the mall and they make at least $2 LESS than I do as a cashier at Wal-Mart and they've worked there for YEARS while I've been with Wal-Mart for less than a year!

Does Wal-Mart have it's faults? Absolutely! What company doesn't? People need to stop picking on JUST Wal-Mart when the circumstances are pretty much the same across the board. If you have issues that I mentioned above, remember, MOST retail companies operate in the same way...and in certain areas, are worse. The worse thing about working at Wal-Mart would have to be having to listen to some customers complain about how horrible Wal-Mart is but yet, they still shop there. If you don't like it, go somewhere else...you'd just be paying more for the same product, made by the same company, at a much higher price....waste your money if you want to.

I admire your defense and see your point of view, but Wal-Mart is the main culprit. Not the only one, as you say, but they opened the door wide for Red Chinese junk to flood our country.

Quote Originally Posted by scambuster
    I admire your defense and see your point of view, but Wal-Mart is the main culprit. Not the only one, as you say, but they opened the door wide for Red Chinese junk to flood our country.
    You know, I had originally posted a different reply to this message but I have decided to remove it because to sit here and argue would be a waste of my time. I have better things to do with my time and while I appreciate information I've been able to find on this website, I refuse to continually argue about this subject. I'm simply going to say that there are many other people and companies at fault here and that I don't appreciate the connotation that chinese products are junk...being that I'm chinese myself...and no, I'm not a "RED" as you put it. I happen to have grown up in the US and am grateful for the freedoms I have here...probably more so than most people who were handed that freedom at birth.
    Last edited by jenny8238; 02-17-2006 at 11:22 AM.

...and your point is....?

I happen to agree with jenny8238. I use to work for Wal-Mart a couple of months ago in California, before I moved across the country and I have to say that as far as retail goes, it wasn't bad at all. They had no weird policies, in fact it was one of the first places I was ever employed that didn't. When I worked for Toy's R Us for instance, if you were on the closing shift, even if your shift was over, they wouldn't let you out of the store until everyones shifts were over so we could leave as a group. Sometimes it ment having to sit in the breakroom for 30 minutes, othertimes it was an hour or more. When I worked for Kaybee Toys, the closing shift was required to clock out early so the hours could be sent in before we left, leaving us to work for an extra 15 minutes a day without getting paid for it. Working at 7-Eleven, we were denied a lunch break, or any breaks at all, we worked 8 hours a day, although when the manager wasn't around we would take turns giving eachother breaks.

Working for Wal-Mart, I made $8.50/hr as a new employee working in the sporting goods department. That may not be much to some of you, but for me working in retail, it was pretty good for a starting wage. The management was always friendly and were available to work with me on my goals with the company, and the employees all had a great comunity relationship with eachother. The only "weird" part was singing the wal-mart song at the daily meetings. As for the open availability policy, I've never heard of such a thing. While I personally was available for any day time shift (they also run a overnight shift) one of my co-workers had no reliable transportation and as such the management worked around the bus scheduel for her so she could continue working there. Even my excesive tardiness was tolerated, though I was warned about it, but explained how I had just lost my car.

Wal-Mart may not be the perfect company, but can you tell me which one is?

“Wal-Mart Shopping Spree” Scam

For Release: Feburary 28, 2006

FTC Obtains Injunction Against the Companies Running the
    “Wal-Mart Shopping Spree” Scam

Defendants Took Cash from Consumers’ Bank Accounts Without Their Express Informed Consent
    The Federal Trade Commission today announced it has obtained a temporary restraining order against a group of defendants running what has become known as the “Wal-Mart Shopping Spree” scam. The order prohibits the defendants from making misrepresentations to consumers and from engaging in deceptive or abusive telemarketing practices, freezes the defendants’ assets, and appoints a temporary receiver over the corporate defendants.

The FTC’s complaint, filed in federal district court in Los Angeles, alleges that the defendants cold-call consumers falsely promising them valuable incentives such as gift cards, “shopping sprees,” movie passes, and gas vouchers, purportedly worth $200 to $500, for a nominal shipping and handling fee, in order to induce the consumers to disclose their bank account information. Once the defendants have this information, they allegedly engage in deceptive and abusive telemarketing practices to coerce consumers to pay additional charges for memberships in purported discount buying programs.

In many cases, the FTC contends the defendants harass consumers by calling them repeatedly and threatening them until they relent and give purported authorization for the defendants to debit their accounts. The defendants also allegedly do not allow consumers to cancel the charges until they complete a recorded authorization process. In many cases, consumers learn about these additional debits for the first time when they are notified by their banks that the withdrawals have been made.

The FTC contends that Defendants operated this scam through a series of corporate shells in order to prolong the life of their scam despite large numbers of consumer complaints and law enforcement inquiries.

The Commission’s Charges

According to the Commission, the defendants’ conduct violates the FTC Act by making material misrepresentations to consumers, including but not limited to misrepresenting that: consumers will receive the valuable incentive upon payment of a nominal shipping and handling charge, the defendants are affiliated with the government or major retailers, and consumers may easily obtain refunds and cancel their memberships in the defendants’ programs. The complaint also alleges that the defendants violated the Telemarketing Sales Rule, by causing consumers’ billing information to be submitted for payment without their express informed consent, and engaging in abusive telemarketing tactics to obtain “consent” from consumers, including threatening and harassing consumers and repeatedly calling consumers, even when they asked the defendants to stop calling by making a company-specific do-not-call request. This is the first time, since establishing the National Do Not Call Registry, that the Commission has sued to enforce consumers’ entity-specific do-not-call rights, without also alleging the telemarketer has violated the Registry. Regardless of whether consumers have placed their telephone numbers on the National Do Not Call Registry, they have the right to tell specific companies not to call them again.

The complaint announced today was filed against: 1) Universal Premium Services, Inc., also known as (aka) Premier Benefits, Inc., of Orange, California; 2) Consumer Reward Network, Inc., of Canoga Park, California; 3) Star Communications, LLC, of Los Angeles, California; 4) Membership Services Direct, Inc., aka Continuity Partners, Inc., of Las Vegas, Nevada; 5) Connect2USA, Inc., of Las Vegas, Nevada; and 6) Brian K. MacGregor; Harijinder Sidhu; Joseph F. Larosa, Jr.; Pranot Sangprasit; William Thomas Heichert; Michael Howard Cushing; Paul P. Tosi; and Manh D. Cao, individually.

The Commission vote to issue the complaint was 5-0. It was filed under seal in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California in Los Angeles on February 14, 2006. The court issued a TRO, including an asset freeze and the appointment of a receiver, on February 21, 2006. The court lifted the seal on February 27, 2006.

The FTC would like to thank the attorneys general for the states of Florida, Illinois, Iowa, Nevada, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, and Washington, as well as the United States Postal Inspection Service and Better Business Bureau, for their invaluable assistance in bringing the action announced today.

Consumers seeking more information about this case can call the following hotline number: 202-326-2090.

NOTE: The Commission issues or files a complaint when it has “reason to believe” that the law has been or is being violated, and it appears to the Commission that a proceeding is in the public interest. The complaint is not a finding or ruling that the named parties have violated the law. The case will be decided by the court.

Copies of the Commission’s complaint are available from the FTC’s Web site at http://www.ftc.gov and also from the FTC’s Consumer Response Center, Room 130, 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W., Washington, DC 20580. The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive, and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop and avoid them. To file a complaint, or to get free information on any of 150 consumer topics, call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357), or use the complaint form at http://www.ftc.gov. The FTC enters Internet, telemarketing, identity theft, and other fraud-related complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and abroad.

MEDIA CONTACT:

Mitchell J. Katz,
    Office of Public Affairs
    202-326-2161

STAFF CONTACT:

Faye Chen Barnouw or Jennifer M. Brennan
    FTC Western Region
    310-824-4343

(http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2006/02/premierbenefits.htm)