+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Verdigris Marketing Group Scam!

i posted this on another thread, but its well worth its own thread in case there are people out there considering going in for this job.

Verdigris Marketing Group is located in Kansas City Missouri.

I was contacted by them through careerbuilder.com and the email said...

Thank you for your interest in working with our company. I understand how competitive the Kansas City job market can be, and appreciate you taking the time to submit your resume. After reviewing your resume, our management staff has selected you to interview for one of our available positions. As an applicant selected to interview with Verdigris Marketing Group Inc., the first step in your interview process is a one on one meeting with the manager. We were impressed by your qualifications and experience, and we are looking forward to meeting with you.

As you can see it says they carefully examined the resumes and i was chosen. To top it off i recieved a phone call trying to set up an interview. When i got in contact with the receptionist i asked this very simple question, "What is the base salary?"
    she replied "youll have to talk to the hiring manager, but it is something like 24,000 plus comission."

i then asked if there were benifits to which she answered "yes".

When i went into the interview, the hiring manager seemed very cool and hip. We seemed to have great chemistry. he asked me why i was changing job professions, to which i answered "Well as a personal trainer, working off commission is too unreliable, so im looking for something more steardy and concrete."

This would have been a good time for him to tell me that this job was solely commision based. i asked him directly, what the salary was to which he responded "It works out to be about 1-2 hundred a day".
    i responded, "is that including commision?" he said, "no, plus commision."

I then asked how many companies i would be in charge of, and he told me 6, including AT&T. Which turned out to be a straight up lie. They only handle one company, an office supplies company.
    Extremely excited about how our interview went, we scheduled a second interview the very next day. I would be going on a field run.
    During the field run, we drove roughly 2 hours away to the middle of nowhere. I was asked if we could use my car, i said "sorry i took a taxi here." so we took the managers car.

After the long drive, we looked for small to mid sized businesses and walked in and asked if we could talk to the person in charge of handling the office supplies. We were cold calling, door to door salesmen. Which was another specific question i had asked the first day, only to be told that we just renewed existing clients.

At lunch i got a breakdown of the pay scale. You got 28% of everything you sold to NEW customers for the office supply company. If you sold to an already existing customer of the office supply chain, you got ZERO! Your manager recieved 24% of all your sales.

After proving yourself for 3 weeks that you can sell office supplies, you are "promoted" to account manager. At this stage, you take possible employees out on day runs. If they hire in, they are a part of your team. after you get 5-7 people hired who can sell, you are promoted to Assistant manager.

Once at this stage you get a 100$ a day salary and you do a lot of office stuff. At this point you spend half the day in the office and half on sales runs. (this must have been the salary he spoke about in the interview, which was obviously a lie and misleading) Once your assistant manager, the manager only takes 5-14% of your sales (how nice of him).

Finally after youve been assistant manager and "learn the tricks" and have 5-7 people willing to follow you to a new office, you become manager of your own team. You must then move to an area that doesnt compete with your old managers buisness, and you owe your old manager 2% of all revenue your new buisness gets. If your keeping track at home, thats a nice giant pyramid.

This happened at lunch (where i got the breakdown of the pay) and i was now certain i was involved in a scam. Tough thing was, i was 2 hours away from home. i sort of felt bad for my interviewer as he was completely brainwashed and was excited about starting his company somewhere in texas (which is where his manager told him to go with his company). Obviously moving a company to a new state is a daunting task to expect from a guy who didnt graduate college and was on this job for only 2 years. But i dont think humanism was a strong point for this company.

When we finally got back to the office, it was 6:30pm. My day there started at 9:00 am. The guy who took me on the run had to be there at 7:30 am. So he had an 11 hour work day. we sold 3 packets of paper and an ink cartridge, he made out with 34 dollars for the day.

Once back, i was asked to go in the office and recap the day and talk about interest in the company. I asked 2 questions.
    1. Why isnt there a salary
    2. Why are there no benifits.

His answer to q1 was, if there is a salary it doesnt motivate people to work hard to sell. He said it rewarded the hard workers. His answer to question 2 was interesting. He said, "There are benifits. No other company offers such a growth within, and earning potential is astronomical. But in the traditional sense, i dont bother with benifits.

I couldnt believe it. He was talking to me like i was a damned idiot. I still acted positive so i could think about everything during my ride home, but i was amazed.

Later that day i got a call and they offered me the job. I said, "Its a pyramid scheme, sorry im not interested."

Beware people, i was told boldfaced lies that got me as far as a second interview on a day run in the middle of nowhere. If i would have said i had my car, i would have driven out there. Im guessing i wouldnt have been paid for my gas. This particular company had 25 entry level salesmen when I interviewed. After realizing it was a scam, i could just imagine how much that manager is making off these poor college grads (in my case) who are looking for a year of experience so we can crack into real companies. Beware of VERDIGRIS MARKETING GROUP in Kansas City. A scam in every sense of the word. unless your on top the pyramid of course

Although i didnt get involved and caught this before i got personally involved, it hurts a lot because after our initial interview, where i was told there was salary, and they made me feel so important, i called friends and family, was excited about the job possibility. Told my dad the good news that i might finally have a job oppurtunity, he got excited, started looking at flight plans to come visit me as he would drive my current car back to california and id get a new one. then the very next day i figured it all out, and it was such a crash. Had to tell my dad to cancel the flight plans, no financial stability like i had thought, no real job oppurtunity, just a non risk for the manager. So i feel its my duty to inform.

Re: Verdigris Marketing Group Scam!

Thank you for posting this. I've been caught up in a couple of these - JUST cancelled an interview for J&B Direct (same scheme) and had set up an interview with Verdigris tommorow, not knowing who they were or what they were about.

Thanks to this post, I've been saved a good deal of aggravation, humiliation, and wasted gas. Again, thank you.

Thanks for the heads up - I just received the same email from Verdigris you posted and was researching the company on Google before calling for an interview. Your post saved me considerable time and aggravation.

Likewise I have been caught up with J&B Direct and scheduled an interview with Verdigris this coming Monday. By the way, Verdigris Marketing Group also at this time is using the name of Superior Consulting International.

I suspicioned but didn't catch onto J&B Direct's scheme until the ride along on the way to the grocery store where the demonstrator deceits customers with the company's alleged affiliation with D.A.R.E. Nonetheless to say I was personally appalled at the outright misrepresentation of the company.

Since that ordeal, and a couple of other incidences over the years, I definitely planned to check out Verdigris Marketing Group. Thank you for the insight.

In the event that you know anyone in the Kansas City metropolitan area or other major U.S. metropolitan area that is seeking a real sales job that possesses realistically obtainable high commissions, please contact me at [email protected]. The sales jobs entail selling advertising and marketing services as well as other business development services to a specific niche of targeted clientele in service related companies, selling professional computer services to businesses providing professional services and businesses in the retail industry, and, selling home improvement services to consumers for protection against, let's say, other than honorable companies.

The commission structure, with limited exception, is generally 50% of net income across the board for services provided to businesses; however, I will offer an alternative pay plan of 35% net income commission plus reimbursement of expenses and other benefits including a cell phone and laptop computer program if the individual prefers the security of health benefits and expense reimbursements such as gas mileage. The commission structure, with limited exception, is generally 35% of net income across the board for services provided to individual consumers; however, I will offer an alternative pay plan of 25% net income commission plus reimbursement of expenses and other benefits including a cell phone and laptop computer program if the individual, once again, prefers the security of health benefits and expense reimbursements such as gas mileage.
    Last edited by DavidEarl; 04-21-2007 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Update Post

Thank You so much for the information. I consider my self a pro. I am in an area now that I have to cross network my skills. I did post my resume online and was offered an interview tommorow at 1:30 9229 Ward Pkwy. suit# 360 With a Charles Davis or a Tom Peck. The girl I talked with was so busy slurping I guess was a beverage through a straw. I at that point became concerned. This saved me a lot of time and gas. thanx Joe

I actually worked for Verdigris at some point and I have to say, after reading the above blog, every bit of it was painfully true! I wish I could warn every person that they contact, but I guess most will just have to discover all of this on their own. I was, unfortunately, just out of college and was very hopeful so when I received a phone call from them I was really ecstatic, even when they were completely vague about the position. They make it sound as if it's a highly coveted marketing position and that you were one of many that was chosen. (part of the seduction) I ended up working for them for months and they actually do brainwash you into believing that all of this is going to work out like they say it does. You honestly get paid nothing BUT commission and they do not pay you for all the gas you use to drive to all these businesses as a SOLICITOR! Trust me, they hate that word. They even tell their employees that's not what they do, but it is. They just twist the definition. It was one of the worst experiences of my entire life and it was still horrifying reading the blog above because it brings back so many memories of how poor I was and tired from long work days. I felt stupid and naive and completely taken advantage of. But Pedro's still in business so I guess he's found it profitable to take advantage of young college graduate hopefuls.

This is all true. I was scamed into this as well. They do everything 100% commission and just to make sure you understand; when he mentions you have to have 5-7 hired who can sell that is at one time and for a minimum of two weeks! When I started there they were a fun office but then the oddest thing happened. No negative sentences could be said. You couldn't say I had a bad day, my head hurts, my friend was in an accident, nothing. If you did they made you do push ups. If your phone went off- push ups. Very wierd right? Well for that matter when you go into the office you will only be let into the office and one office, why, because the rest is empty space. You are not allowed to sit down or lean. Everything about about this company is messed up. They pride themselves by going after college grads saying older people are too proud to want to start at the bottom of a company when in reality they are smart enough to see the scam right away. That pay that they say you will be making, don't count on it. I made around $100 a week on average and was told I just wasn't working hard enough! On top of that they do take to business conferences in great places like New Orleans, but be prepared to pay for your own room and part of the bus rental on top of your normal expenses like food. When it comes down to it managers at companies like Verdigris do well because they are good at hiding the truth and making the job sound perfect, they are trained in what to say when asked questions, and they pay for nothing. (Yes even when gas is at a all time high they won't give you anything for it except a lecture about you shouldn't worry about gas if you do your job right and make money. How many offices supplies do you think you can get a company to buy when you walk in off the street?) Verdigris is definately a scam and Pedro loves to make people feel like an idiot when they ask questions about pay and benefits. Don't get involved with this company as it will only drain you financially and leave you fusterated.

To the original poster of this forum:

I was in the same boat you were in!! I did what you did for a little over a week in December 2007. I quit this obscene excuse for a job because I knew that I would not get any money out of this. I was told the exact same things you were told, and I got the job right after the first initial interview. I knew right then that it was just a numbers game to get more people in. Unlike what you did in February, we were selling U-Verse. The weather was cold and FREEZING!! I was not about to suffer another day out there in the BELOW ZERO and snowing cold to sell something that people wouldn't want from an outside marketing company anyway. You see AT&T's U-Verse system being advertised on television now, and of course people know about DTV coming in February of 2009, and I'm sure that anyone going door-to-door right now must be nuts..no one is going to fall for something they think is a scam! Believe it or not, we actually got people set up, and there is evidence that they got what they signed up for, but I'm not sure if everything we told them was true.

I'm not meant for marketing anyway, and I'm not surprised to hear that others had to go through this scam of a job. So many people have been brought in to this, and so many have left..they really need to just go out of business or something!..Oh and as for what compensation I got..$54, that was it! Not the field I want to go in to, especially in the freezing cold.

By the way, this company has a new manager? I never knew Pedro. I only knew Michael (dont' know his last name)..he was the one who interviewed me.
    Last edited by hlgrl08; 06-17-2008 at 10:40 AM.

I have received this job invitation on career builder, can anyone tell me what is this?=======================================

ENTRY-LEVEL MANAGEMENT TRAINING: Sales / Marketing Positions

Company: Verdigris Marketing Group, Inc.

Description
    Looking for a Full Time Career in an Energetic, Upbeat Environment!Verdigris Marketing Group is now offering positions at the ENTRY-LEVEL for SALES and MARKETING. We are the area's fastest growing outsourced sales and marketing option for some of the country's largest corporations. Due to our current expansion needs you will be cross training in the areas of sales marketing and management. This is all in an attempt to develop managers who will be capable of running offices. We have strict requirements when applying for this position:

You must want to work full time.
    You must want to start a fun, new and exciting career.
    You must be goal oriented.
    You must want a career that provides you with training.
    Must have the ability to meet face to face with small to mid sized business owners.
    Last but not least you must want to work for a company with outstanding growth opportunities.Great opportunity for graduating marketing students or those looking to start a career in sales and marketing. If you meet all of these qualifications and would like to jump-start a new career it is your decision to take the next step. Contact Jenene Harvey @ 816.531.0026 or email your resume to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]Verdigris Marketing Group offers:
    Paid training
    Competitive benefits
    Fun and upbeat work environment
    Compensation based solely on individual performance
    Advancement based solely on individual performance
    www.verdigrismarketing.com

Requirements
    CANDIDATES WITH ANY OF THE FOLLOWING EXPERIENCE, PLEASE APPLY: SALES, CUSTOMER SERVICE, MANAGER, MARKETING, ADMINISTRATIVE, HUMAN RESOURCES, ENTRY LEVEL, PURCHASING, DIRECTOR, RETAIL, HEALTH CARE, EDUCATION, PROJECT MANAGER, TEACHER, REAL ESTATE, INSURANCE, TELECOMMUNICATIONS, BANKING, RESTAURANT, ADVERTISING, SUPERVISOR, PUBLIC RELATIONS, HOTEL, COMMUNICATIONS, SOCIAL SERVICES, BUSINESS AND SALES PSYCHOLOGY, COLLECTIONS, PHARMACEUTICAL SALES, BUYER, RECRUITER, HOSPITALITY

===============================

MD Alam
    Kansas City, MO

thank you so much for posting this. I thought their website was very vague and couldn't understand exactly what is it they did, so I search for more info and I found this thread. Very helpful when looking for a job. Isn't what they do illegal?

Thank you so much for this post. I just received a call to set up an interview, which thankfully was left as a message due to the fact that I was on the other line. I went on Google to double check the company and found this thread. I appreciate this. It definitely saved me some time.

yep they are still up to this. I actually talked and set an appointment up for tomorrow and then checked on them on google...wow thanks for this site....I will not be taking my gas money or my time to waste it with this crap...:zx11pissed:

What about two other groups called Genuine Business Solutions, and Brookfield Marketing Group???? They don't seem quite like Verdigris, but they are in the same location and same field...anybody?

Yes, they are the same scam (Brookfield Marketing). The way you know right off the bat is when they call you to set up an interview and they won't tell you what exactly it's for, they're vague with details, etc. Give them real questions like..."What position is this for?" "What is the pay scale?" "Are there benefits?" you can even flat out ask "Is this a pyramid scheme?" You most likely won't get REAL answers to these questions. You'll get the same vague answers that this is a great opportunity, you'll discuss that further in the interview, etc.

Basically, Brookfield Marketing and some of the others are people who have actually done the pyramid scheme and made it so far up that they get to start their own pyramid scheme. Now I'm not saying that all "marketing" firms are schemes, but just trust your gut instincts. If it sounds too good to be true, it's commission based, and they're really vague then you should get the feeling that it's a scheme instead of a real job. Good luck in your search!

Im very happy that I have helped stop people from wasting their time, by posting this thread. I've recieved nice private messages and the feedback has been great. On my count, I have prevented at least 10-15 people from wasting their time, and perhaps more who saw my thread and cancelled their interviews. Reading your replies makes this all worth it. Thanks!!!!

You're welcome! Thanks to you I really think that 2007 was made easier on me by not getting mixed up with these guys, and I wouldn't have known if it hadn't been for this thread!