2 11.11%
  • A religion

10 55.56%
  • A race and a religion

6 33.33%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

What it is to be Jewish...

It was a comment that Ladymod made, on another thread, that prompted this question.

Jews.

Are they a religion, a race, or both?

Nothing loaded in the question, I just wanted to measure what you think, religion or a race?

I'll chuck it out to the vote...
    "Ethics" is simply a last-gasp attempt by deist conservatives and
    orthodox dogmatics to keep humanity in ignorance and obscurantism,
    through the well tried fermentation of fear, the fear of science and
    new technologies.
    There is nothing glorious about what our ancestors call history,
    it is simply a succession of mistakes, intolerances and violations.

Re: What it is to be Jewish...

I voted a religion for no other reason than that is my opinion

Is it true that one cannot convert to Judaism, the way they can with other religions?

If not, why not?
    new technologies.

Quote Originally Posted by enlightenment
    Is it true that one cannot convert to Judaism, the way they can with other religions?

If not, why not?
    Yes, you can covert to Judiasm. Even in the Bible there is the Noahide Laws which were for the gentile people to follow after converting to Judiasm.

Judiasm, or being a Jew is Not a race, but a religion. There are Jewish people of every race. Unknown to many people, the are even black Jews from Ethiopia

Quote Originally Posted by Dawud
    Yes, you can covert to Judiasm. Even in the Bible there is the Noahide Laws which were for the gentile people to follow after converting to Judiasm.

Judiasm, or being a Jew is Not a race, but a religion. There are Jewish people of every race. Unknown to many people, the are even black Jews from Ethiopia
    Yes, I know that there are black Jews, and there are even white Jews, with blonde hair and blue eyes, and everything in between.

It was Ladymod who claimed that they are a race, perhaps when she sees this, she can come tell me why she thinks they are a race, and not only a religion.

I was sure that it was not possible to convert to Judaism, not that I am in any hurry!
    new technologies.

lol, I voted religion to. It would be much to complicated if they were a race.

I voted that Judaism is a religion. My father is a converted Jew.

He was once challenged by a Rabbi as to the authenticity of his faith. My father replied "And how do you know that you're Jewish"?

I voted religion, I thought about voting both, but I really think it is a religion not a race. Of course the answer depends on who you ask. PS, Yes it is a task, but converting is very possible. A very good gentile friend of mine, met a girl, moved to Isreal, and converted. All I could think of to say was "Wow what a brave soul" Actually I was thinking, man what a whipped human being this is :rolleyes:

Judaism is a religion, the Jews are an ethnic group. I'm not exactly sure which you are specifying in your poll, so I chose both.

Quote Originally Posted by ianmatthews
    Judaism is a religion, the Jews are an ethnic group. I'm not exactly sure which you are specifying in your poll, so I chose both.
    Is Judaism not a sort of collective term for Jews?
    new technologies.

Yes, I know that there are black Jews, and there are even white Jews, with blonde hair and blue eyes, and everything in between.

It was Ladymod who claimed that they are a race, perhaps when she sees this, she can come tell me why she thinks they are a race, and not only a religion.

I was sure that it was not possible to convert to Judaism, not that I am in any hurry!
    Lady Mod forgot about Sammy Davis Jr. He was a famous black American singer/actor who converted to Judiasm.

Is Judaism not a sort of collective term for Jews?
    Not that I've ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by amhp
    I voted that Judaism is a religion. My father is a converted Jew.

He was once challenged by a Rabbi as to the authenticity of his faith. My father replied "And how do you know that you're Jewish"?
    Judaism is the religion of the Jewish people.

Your father, as a convert to Judaism, will never contract Tay-Sachs disease nor will you overnight contract Gaucher's Disease being a son of a follower of Judaism.

I on the other hand, being an Ashkenazi Jew, could inherit Bloom's Syndrome, Canavan Disease, Niemann-Pick Disease, Fabry Disease, Familial Dysautonomia, Familial Mediterranean Fever, Fanconi anemia, Gaucher's Disease, Mucolipidosis type IV, Tay-Sachs disease,.

All the Diseases above are inherited Jewish Ethnic diseases. A converted Jew, unless the Paternal relatives were Jewish, will never inherit those diseases.

And to answer the question your ather posed to the Rabbi, I know I am Jewish because my Mother's, Mother's, Mother was Jewish.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninram
    Judaism is the religion of the Jewish people.

Your father, as a convert to Judaism, will never contract Tay-Sachs disease nor will you overnight contract Gaucher's Disease being a son of a follower of Judaism.

I on the other hand, being an Ashkenazi Jew, could inherit Bloom's Syndrome, Canavan Disease, Niemann-Pick Disease, Fabry Disease, Familial Dysautonomia, Familial Mediterranean Fever, Fanconi anemia, Gaucher's Disease, Mucolipidosis type IV, Tay-Sachs disease,.

All the Diseases above are inherited Jewish Ethnic diseases. A converted Jew, unless the Paternal relatives were Jewish, will never inherit those diseases.

And to answer the question your ather posed to the Rabbi, I know I am Jewish because my Mother's, Mother's, Mother was Jewish.
    Lookit them durn jews hoggin all them diseases to themselves, so selfish...

I voted a race and a religion. Without the religion, there would be no race. The Torah says that Jacob is the root. The texts say God was with them in the desert, leading them around with a pillar of fire at night and wind by day. It says God wouldn't bring them into the promised land unless they believed.

I think that a Jew without either Judaism, or without being a Mesianic Jew, is just a Hebrew. That was the term for them when they were slaves in Egypt, before being baptised by walking through the parted sea, so goes the story.

Jewsforjesus.com is pretty cool.