+ Reply to Thread

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

Damaged and Adrift in the Shadows

This breaks my heart. But will the Neocons bother to get upset? It's only OUR soldiers after all...

Editorial
    Damaged and Adrift in the Shadows

When the Senate next debates whether to debate the Iraq war, members would do well to visit Walter Reed Army Medical Center, just five miles to the north. There they can run a stark reality check on how the country is failing the war’s wounded despite all those Capitol orations about unstinting support of our fighting troops.

As fine as the surgery wards have been through a five-year torrent of battle casualties, Walter Reed has seen the shameful growth of a parallel village of almost 700 traumatized and maimed outpatients. Far too many of these souls wait lost and wasted, abandoned by the post’s and the Army’s shambling bureaucracy.

This outpatient world has become a holding ground for desperation and dysfunction, according to a Washington Post investigative report. Some drift away unnoticed, AWOL, while others huddle in their rooms, depressed and forgotten. The scenes uncovered by The Post range from slumlord conditions in one residential building to drug abuse and suicide among desperate patients caught in a Catch-22, where psychologically damaged veterans are put in charge of fellow sufferers.

A staff sergeant who had his eye and skull shattered in Iraq stumbled about after his release from a surgical recovery room. He was handed a map and ordered to find his way across the sprawling post to the outpatient unit. After he found his room he sat for weeks like some accidental tourist, with no doctor appointments nor official concern. “Shouldn’t they contact me?” he wondered.

The Army is promising to rush repairs and extra personnel. But the shameful neglect at Walter Reed is more proof of how America’s leaders — despite all the rhetoric about unlimited support for the troops — are failing the nation’s warriors in this disastrous war.

Re: Damaged and Adrift in the Shadows

this is not just a phenomenon isolated to any one part of society!i see it everywhere!the left behind!the unwanted!it's part of the intolerance wave that has taken the world!?by storm!?call it the FEAR DRIVEN self survival by aggression attitude that is spreading like fire!?hehe!!....just askin...

I blame the hospital administors, from what I hear , WR is sheduled to be shut down and merged with the National Naval Medical Center in 2011
    so it seems as if the administrators didn't put a whole lot of effort into maintaining the hospital, this is just an explanation , not an excuse, those veterans and active duty personnel need to be out of there now and the hospital administrators need to be court-marshalled,...and the NY Times needs to stop using wounded sevicemen and women as political pawns with which to bash George W Bush
    Last edited by franKg; 02-24-2007 at 05:30 PM.
    Originally posted by Americanadian
    Palin: Omit the "i" and you're left with "Pain".

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by franKg
    I blame the hospital administors, from what I hear , WR is sheduled to be shut down and merged with the National Naval Medical Center in 2011
    so it seems as if the administrators didn't put a whole lot of effort into maintaining the hospital, this is just an explanation , not an excuse, those veterans and active duty personnel need to be out of there now and the hospital administrators need to be court-marshalled,...and the NY Times needs to stop using wounded sevicemen and women as political pawns with which to bash George W Bush
    But they are political pawns frankie. When the politicians say they are going to stand by them and support them and then neglect them AFTER they have been wounded in service to their country then it is a sad statement against the politicians.

What some of those politicians need to do is get off their butts and get behind this problem and make things happen.

Lady Mod

dchristie is offline Challenge Authority User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by franKg

It's proof that the Bush Crime Gang doesn't even give a damn about the war criminals who participate in their heinous crimes against humanity.

Corrupt and hubristic empires eventually decimate and use up their own armed forces in ill-fated schemes of conquest. Guys infinitely smarter than The Flying Monkey - such as Napolean, Hitler and Brezhnev - fell for it too.

This is a good reason why the American Military is sworn to defend The Constitution - not to obey illegal orders which, of course, being deployed to Iraq-Nam is.

These principles and the potential consequences of ignoring them were firmly acknowledged at Nuremberg in 1945. Hopefully, they will be re-asserted if and when Bush and Cheney are ever brought to justice for their crimes.

Sadly, many of the rank and file military didn't enlist for their potential as brain surgeons. They aren't much smarter than Frankie "Sh!t Fer Brains" or Grimey due to the intensive Orwellian brain washing they've received. They just want to be "good little Grermans"

And the other ones, who haven't entirely submitted to the mindless robotic group think of the military, are there because they don't want to be made examples of by BushCo flunkies with an axe to grind.
    Last edited by dchristie; 02-24-2007 at 06:21 PM.

I don't know if it's entirely clear that hospital admins are to blame. All this obvious negligence is based on the outpatient care, not immediate in-hopsital care. It also appears that this is a problem that is going to be shown as more widespread and systemic than a few buildings at Walter Reed. Mark those words.

I have no one in the military (thank GOD) but Ive heard for years and years
    what a hard time vets have getting care and then it is questionable. I do
    know where my dad died, the Alvin C. York Rehab/Hospital in Murfreesboro, TN
    was called up on some really nasty charges a couple of years ago. My personal
    experience with them when my dad was there left a great deal to be desired.
    Ive heard other stories but thats the only one I know about first hand.
    I do know a retired AF officer who says her emergency care can only be
    used at certain hospitals. Some insurance for a career military person.
    An emergency is an emergency!
    Of course, there is absolutely nothing the government can do anymore that
    I like. NOTHING!