+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sex Education

Sex Education

Surely in any progressive society, sex education should be the model for any place of education, since sex itself is a natural part of life, and one that transcends culture, race, etc.

Yet, there are those that would oppose that the mere act of sex, and all that goes with it, such as taking precautions, etc, be taught in our schools.

Somehow they see sex and responsibility as dirty words!

They claim, some of them, that sex ed should not be taught at school, but 'at home', yet since they seem hung up about sex to start with, I hardly think they are best placed to teach their children this, 'at home'!

Besides, I am of a mind, that given the choice, most children or young aduts would rather this subject be discussed with anyone but their parents!

Anyway, an article of interest, maybe...

Source: bbc
    http://news. bbc.co.uk/ 2/hi/health/ 6347621.stm

Public 'lack knowledge about sex'
    The public have a worrying lack of knowledge and understanding about sex, a survey suggests.

A poll of 495 people by the Family Planning Association found some thought exercise or urinating after intercourse could prevent pregnancy.

The FPA said better sex education was needed, with researchers at Coventry University calling for lessons to be tailored to pupils' sexual experience.

The government said it was up to teachers to decide on sex education.

All secondary schools are required to include sex education as part of their teaching programme, but there are no rules over the content, leading to complaints that lessons are too biological.

Reproductive biology is the only statutory part of the national curriculum and even this isn't achieving acceptable standards
    Anne Weyman, Family Planning Association

The FPA survey, published to coincide with the start of Contraceptive Awareness Week, found that half of people did not know when was the most fertile point of a woman's menstrual cycle.

A third thought exercise, douching or urinating after sex could stop fertilisation and 89% did not realise sperm could live inside a woman's body for up to seven days.

On sex education, only 4% said their experience at school was excellent, 38% described it as poor and 18% said they did not get any.

Anne Weyman, chief executive of the FPA, said: "This survey exposes how far the current system of providing sex education is failing and also that people are acutely aware that it is letting them down.

"Reproductive biology is the only statutory part of the national curriculum and even this isn't achieving acceptable standards."

The FPA also said that better access to sexual health clinics could help improve adults' knowledge.

Experience

Coventry University researchers agreed sex education standards were not good enough, pointing out that different pupils had varying degrees of sexual experience and needed different teaching.

In a survey of 3,800 pupils aged 13 to 16, they found a quarter were sexually active, with nearly half of those not using contraception every time.

The team suggested teachers could use computer programmes to offer tailored education.

Lead researcher Professor Louise Wallace said: "Much of the teaching in schools is too biologically based."

Pupils needed to be given "sex and relationship education that equips them with the knowledge and skills to inform their choices".

The Department for Education and Skills said all secondary schools should provide sex education.

But a spokeswoman said it was up to teachers to use their "professional judgement" to decide what to teach in the classroom.

She added: "All parents have a statutory right to withdraw their children from all or part of sex education lessons, but not from statutory science lessons."
    "Ethics" is simply a last-gasp attempt by deist conservatives and
    orthodox dogmatics to keep humanity in ignorance and obscurantism,
    through the well tried fermentation of fear, the fear of science and
    new technologies.
    There is nothing glorious about what our ancestors call history,
    it is simply a succession of mistakes, intolerances and violations.

Re: Sex Education

Quote Originally Posted by enlightenment
    Surely in any progressive society, sex education should be the model for any place of education, since sex itself is a natural part of life, and one that transcends culture, race, etc.

Yet, there are those that would oppose that the mere act of sex, and all that goes with it, such as taking precautions, etc, be taught in our schools.

Somehow they see sex and responsibility as dirty words!

They claim, some of them, that sex ed should not be taught at school, but 'at home', yet since they seem hung up about sex to start with, I hardly think they are best placed to teach their children this, 'at home'!

Besides, I am of a mind, that given the choice, most children or young aduts would rather this subject be discussed with anyone but their parents!

Anyway, an article of interest, maybe...

Source: bbc
    http://news. bbc.co.uk/ 2/hi/health/ 6347621.stm

Public 'lack knowledge about sex'
    The public have a worrying lack of knowledge and understanding about sex, a survey suggests.

A poll of 495 people by the Family Planning Association found some thought exercise or urinating after intercourse could prevent pregnancy.

The FPA said better sex education was needed, with researchers at Coventry University calling for lessons to be tailored to pupils' sexual experience.

The government said it was up to teachers to decide on sex education.

All secondary schools are required to include sex education as part of their teaching programme, but there are no rules over the content, leading to complaints that lessons are too biological.

Reproductive biology is the only statutory part of the national curriculum and even this isn't achieving acceptable standards
    Anne Weyman, Family Planning Association

The FPA survey, published to coincide with the start of Contraceptive Awareness Week, found that half of people did not know when was the most fertile point of a woman's menstrual cycle.

A third thought exercise, douching or urinating after sex could stop fertilisation and 89% did not realise sperm could live inside a woman's body for up to seven days.

On sex education, only 4% said their experience at school was excellent, 38% described it as poor and 18% said they did not get any.

Anne Weyman, chief executive of the FPA, said: "This survey exposes how far the current system of providing sex education is failing and also that people are acutely aware that it is letting them down.

"Reproductive biology is the only statutory part of the national curriculum and even this isn't achieving acceptable standards."

The FPA also said that better access to sexual health clinics could help improve adults' knowledge.

Experience

Coventry University researchers agreed sex education standards were not good enough, pointing out that different pupils had varying degrees of sexual experience and needed different teaching.

In a survey of 3,800 pupils aged 13 to 16, they found a quarter were sexually active, with nearly half of those not using contraception every time.

The team suggested teachers could use computer programmes to offer tailored education.

Lead researcher Professor Louise Wallace said: "Much of the teaching in schools is too biologically based."

Pupils needed to be given "sex and relationship education that equips them with the knowledge and skills to inform their choices".

The Department for Education and Skills said all secondary schools should provide sex education.

But a spokeswoman said it was up to teachers to use their "professional judgement" to decide what to teach in the classroom.

She added: "All parents have a statutory right to withdraw their children from all or part of sex education lessons, but not from statutory science lessons."
    My school system has Sex Ed. Parents sign on or off. I signed on for my four children, although my kids learned early on from me since Sex Ed is discussed in length with each of my clients in counseling.

It's important that children learn about abstinence as part of Sex Ed. My school system agreed with me and have now included it in the course. The course starts in 5th grade in my area.

By the time kids are enrolled in Sex Ed, the parents should have already taught their children well, in which case the parents can be certain that their children are already sexually well-informed.

Parents need to keep current and aprise their children of new information as it surfaces, such as the latest on HPV:

www.cdc.gov/std/HPV/STDFact-HPV.htm

http://www.thehpvtest.com/
    Last edited by HotParadox; 02-18-2007 at 09:08 PM.
    Click both daily for an easy & FREE way to help care for the needy:
    The Animal Rescue Site/charity
    http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...faces?siteId=3
    The Rainforest Site/charity
    http://www.therainforestsite.com/cli...gin=Sister_ars

Quote Originally Posted by HotParadox
    It's important that children learn about abstinence as part of Sex Ed.
    Why..?

They should certainly learn about freedom of choice, on all levels, incuding the choice to say no, in a given siutation, about a given thing, but are you alluding to promotong 'abstinence', within the state education system, as a positive way of life..?

If you are, and maybe yer not, that is bringing religous values into a tier of education that is meant to be unshackled by theories and religions, if you see what I mean...
    new technologies.

Why..?

They should certainly learn about freedom of choice, on all levels, incuding the choice to say no, in a given siutation, about a given thing, but are you alluding to promotong 'abstinence', within the state education system, as a positive way of life..?

If you are, and maybe yer not, that is bringing religous values into a tier of education that is meant to be unshackled by theories and religions, if you see what I mean...
    Why not?
    Abstinence is a choice for some people and not just for religious reasons. For some it's a health issue, for some it's a moral issue with no regard to religion and for others who are very young, it's a prudent choice.

"Promoting abstinence" is not a bad thing. I thought it's about "freedom of choice, on all levels".

Why not?
    Abstinence is a choice for some people and not just for religious reasons. For some it's a health issue, for some it's a moral issue with no regard to religion and for others who are very young, it's a prudent choice.

"Promoting abstinence" is not a bad thing. I thought it's about "freedom of choice, on all levels".
    It depends what you mean here.

Please define.

I am not against educating peoplel to the existance of the idea of abstinence, but are you suggesting that within your tutorial, you would promote it above having lots of safe sex, for example?
    new technologies.

It depends what you mean here.

Please define.

I am not against educating peoplel to the existance of the idea of abstinence, but are you suggesting that within your tutorial, you would promote it above having lots of safe sex, for example?
    I would put it on an equal level. And so would some kids. Like mine.

My oldest son who is a very hip musician/composer and actor, was "Straight Edge" before I had a clue of what it was. At some point, he "lost his edge" and, at the time, he felt terrible about that.

At the time that he was Straight Edge, he was an atheist, so I can assure you that God was not a factor.

Here's what some kids think and practice:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_edge
    Last edited by HotParadox; 02-18-2007 at 10:01 PM.

I would put it on an equal level.
    That's all I needed to know.

Thanks, HP.

:)
    new technologies.

That's all I needed to know.

Thanks, HP.

Pleasure. :)

Perhaps what is needed is sensual education, rather than sex education..?
    new technologies.

Perhaps what is needed is sensual education, rather than sex education..?
    Yes, good call. And sometimes sensual-ness (word?) can be more erotic than 'in-your-face' sexual-ness (word?)

At the time of the prophet, muslims men and women were never too shy to ask the prophet about all affairs, including such private affairs as sexual life, so as to know the teachings and rulings of their religion concerning them. As Aisha, the wife of the prophet testified, "Blessed are the women of the Ansar (the citizens of Madina). Shyness did not stand in their way seeking knowledge about their religion."

The way the ladies asked the prophet-directly or through his wives is a proof that sexual matters were not taboo but were fully acknowldged and respected. "Shyness is part of the faith" as the prophet taught, but he also taught "There is no shyness in matters of religion" even entailing the delicate aspects of sexual life.

Sex should be taught to children in a way commensurate with their age as they grow up, both by the family and the school. This should be done within the total context of Islamic ideology and Islamic teaching, so that the youth get the correct knowledge and become fully aware on the sanctity of the sexual relation in Islam and the grave sin of blemishing such sanctity under Islamic law, or far more important in the sight of God. Provided the Islamic conscience is developed, there is no reason to shun sex education. We believe it is better to give the correct teaching rather than leave this to chance and to incorrect sources.

Surprised??? HP & Enlightenment
    Last edited by Dawud; 02-19-2007 at 01:02 AM.

And speaking of abstinence...I read in the paper today, that John McCain, is down campaigning in the "bible belt". He is planning on speaking to a group of middle schoolers on abstaining from pre-marital sex. This is commendable because he feels strongly about the subject...BUT, as I was reading the blurb, the author of the article mentioned that the speech is to follow...get this..."a hot dog and icecream social" FALIC!! Does he actually think that all these teenagers are going to listen, when all they are gonna be thinking about is the "social," all that icecream licking...I mean come on I'm gettin horny just thinkin about it... :D

13. 02-19-2007, 01:56 AM

Reason
    double post

Quote Originally Posted by jigglepete
    And speaking of abstinence...I read in the paper today, that John McCain, is down campaigning in the "bible belt". He is planning on speaking to a group of middle schoolers on abstaining from pre-marital sex. This is commendable because he feels strongly about the subject...BUT, as I was reading the blurb, the author of the article mentioned that the speech is to follow...get this..."a hot dog and icecream social" FALIC!! Does he actually think that all these teenagers are going to listen, when all they are gonna be thinking about is the "social," all that icecream licking...I mean come on I'm gettin horny just thinkin about it... :D
    Sex is a normal function, as with many human functions.

Long term abstinence imo, would be unhealthy for the body, and the mind.

Try not doing any other normal function for a time, and you will soon discover that suppression makes you ill, one way or another.

It is the same with sex.

I do not see the big deal that some people have over sex.

It is just a means of giving and receiving pleasure.

Heck, even if we buy into the creationist thing, then we were obviously created so that sex, for humans, was meant to feel great, and therefore, I see no problem with men and women, as long as they are respectful, and take the required precautions, having a full sex life, married or unmarried.

It is nothing to do with me or anyone is what someone's sexual history is, I think we would agree on that, yeah..?

new technologies.

Quote Originally Posted by jigglepete
    FALIC!! Does he actually think that all these teenagers are going to listen, when all they are gonna be thinking about is the "social," all that icecream licking...I mean come on I'm gettin horny just thinkin about it... :D
    Lol. I know what ya mean. I've done some pretty naughty things with icecream in my time...... :D

I would have to say...without question :)

I think sex ed needs to be taught in schools. I see nothing wrong with teaching abstinence as well - but most teens will not abstain until marriage and need to know what they can do to protect themselves and the grusome details of what the diseases are and what they can do to you.

When I was in 8th grade - we had to looks at huge nasty pictures (on a projector in the auditorium) of upclose genital shots of warts and herpes. I have NEVER forgotten what that looked like and it has always stuck with me. I think they should show this every year in high school and I don't think it is wasted money or time to have sex ed each year in middle school and high school.

Most people are getting married older than they were before and most parents are pushing their kids to get an education before settling down - what does that leave you at 24 or so before marriage could even be considered? Get real, even a chaste girl is most likely not going to wait to 24 to have sex if she met the man of her dreams when she was 19. Not only that - sex is plastered everywhere to the point of being ridicioulous. I think it is best to teach your kids to wait until they are ready, of an appropriate age and with an appropriate person and always to use protection. With that being said, I don't think parents should "cater" to their kids that are having sex. My mother always told me I could come to her and she would put me on the pill - but she said she wasn't going to make it easy for me either - and she didn't. I had strict times to be home, no one in the house when they were gone, etc. and like she said to me - I had to do it on my own time - not hers.