+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

recieving western union payment

I was curious as to if there was any way to be scammed if you are on the recieving end of a western union payment.

I was contacted on ebay by a bidder that wanted to pay via western union, and was worried about becoming a victim. is western union safe if you are on the receiving end?

Re: recieving western union payment

how much feedback does this bidder have? If the feedback is less than 20 or 30, I would be suspicious. though some ebay scammers create feedback larger than this threshold.

Look at see what this user has purchased if there is feedback, I might even would contact one of the sellers to see how the buyer may have paid, if you are still unsure.

Because I do not use Western Union online, my comments are limited to user feedback.

Any other suggestions?

s0tet ...the scamers do not create feedback for those accounts and the accounts are not created by them...
    The whole deal is that they use stolen accounts from people who did business with Ebay ( legit business ) ...and they use them cause it gives em more credibility.

I think one way to check if its about a scamer is to check if there`s a pattern in the way that guy sends money .

Lets just say he has brought 20 goods on ebay...try to find how many of those he paid through Wester Union...

On the receiving end of Western Union, you receive a check from WU, which is considered as good as cash, since Western Union requires cash from the sender. Also you can cash the WU check immediately at the place you receieved it, thus have cash in hand before shipping. There is no risk to receive WU before shipping your item.

Western Union

Yes it is a serious scam DO NOT TRY THIS, this just happened to my friend 2 days ago on 10/5, she fell for this because she thought it was a good opportunity for her after she got laid off from her job, and she was asking me to do this to make money too and I told her it does not sound correct. Here is what happened, I experienced the whole process with her and I went to the bank to help her when they blocked her account:

0. They post the job with many different companies names.
    1. They send you a contract for employment to make it look legal.
    2. They ask you for your bank account number after you accept employment.
    3. They hacked to well fargo system and accessed other accounts data
    4. They log in with other people id and password and transfer money to yours
    5. You see the online banking transfer to your account and you think wow
    6. You believe the transfer is good because bank guarantees transfer
    7. You take the money and wire them the money after you take your portion
    8. The next day the bank will block your account and freeze your money
    9. When you go to the bank, they will tell you it was an unauthorized transfer
    10. They tell you your account is under investigation
    11. The scammer now has your money and your account is overdrawn
    12. Now the FBI is involved because bank is protected by the federal gov.
    13. My friend has to wait now for weeks until the investigation is done.

so open your eyes people, DO NOT GIVE YOUR PERSONAL INFO to anyone over the internet.

I felt bad for her, she just lost her rent money from this because the bank debited her account back and froze all her money.

BE SMART AND DONT FALL FOR THIS. and if you think that you can do this and take the money they send you, you are wrong, because the bank will debit your account and freeze all your money.

NOW I think Wells Fargo needs to do something to protect their consumers and place a hold on any online transfer for at least 2 days and make it pending and not available to detect any fraud like this.

I feel sorry for my friend because she was the victim and hope this information will OPEN YOUR EYES AND YOUR MIND.

Western Union

Why doesn't Western Union require fingerprints or photo ID or something? Surely they are aware of all the scams they help consummate.
    I have seldom ever used WU, so they might already have security in place, but it doesn't sound like it.

Re: Western Union

I don't use WU either. They can't be trusted at all.

I can't wait for somebody to sue them to hell and back. I'll bet they put security measures in place then!

I'm with you on that!!

Quote Originally Posted by scambuster
    Why doesn't Western Union require fingerprints or photo ID or something? Surely they are aware of all the scams they help consummate.
    I have seldom ever used WU, so they might already have security in place, but it doesn't sound like it.
    Lack of successful lawsuits against WU is the reason. Another factor may be the ability to claim that they are just a transfer service. Does USPS demand you give up a thumbprint to mail a letter? Nope. You are required to give personal data only when engaging certain services and even then its not kept on record. Same thing can be said to apply to WU.

Last time I received a WU transfer they checked my ID before giving me a check. It's not WU's fault if idiots send their money to anybody that spams their inbox.
    Gifts Received
    Freegasonus.com - $50 gas card (2/2)
    Nationalsurveypanel.com - $100 gift card (3/3)
    Consumergain.com - $500 visa card (6/6)
    Exclusivegiftcards.com - Gateway laptop - (6/6)
    Theuseful.com - $50 gift card (1/1)
    Nuitech - 20" iMac (18/18)
    Yourgiftcards.com - $100 gas card (1/1)

Pending Delivery
    Anyfreegift.com - Playstation 2 (2/2)

Gifts In Progress
    CIP - $500 card (4/8)

That's encouraging.

Russian software Co. offering 5% on western union transfers

I got an email from a lady purporting to be Russian who offered me the following job opportunity. I have not seen anything like this and was thinking that it is more likely a money laundering operation which actually does pay what they claim but....it's probably illegal. Here's the email:

"Hi, I am Elena Kazachenko

We found your resume at monster.com and we have job for you.

I am manager of Russian software-development company Elite Soft
    you can visit out official site www.elitesoft.biz

We proccessing payments online by merchant account but
    some of our clients want make payment via paypal
    In Russia paypal not working
    We Use exchange services for paypal payments ( this service have high
    fees and take 4-7 days)

So we need partner in USA
    Our client will pay to your paypal account
    You will receive payments
    Then you will sent money to our company via western union

You salary will depend on amount of paypal transfers you get
    You will get 5% from all transaction
    paypal and western union fee pays by us

So there will be around 4 payment per week
    each payment is about 1800-1900 $

so you will about 1500$ per month at first time

Thank you
    If you interested or have any question please contact me at
    [email protected]"

WHAT DO YOU SCAM GUYS/LADY'S THINK ABOUT THIS ONE? I emailed this off to Monster.com support and they said they were going to investigate to see if it is legit and contact me back.

Re: Russian software Co. offering 5% on western union transfers

I looked at the site and when I clicked on the "order" button I found this address:

Elite Soft, 914 777-1823, 921 STUART AVE, MAMARONECK, NY 10543 US

I'm not a geography wiz, but last I heard New York could use pay pal.

Of course, WHOIS tells a different story:

Domain Name: ELITESOFT.BIZ
    Domain ID: D11133169-BIZ
    Sponsoring Registrar: MELBOURNE IT LTD
    Registrant Name: Douglas Glass
    Registrant Organization: Douglas Glass
    Registrant Address1: 315 Hawkins Road
    Registrant City: Travelers Rest
    Registrant State/Province: SC
    Registrant Postal Code: 29690
    Registrant Country: United States
    Registrant Country Code: US
    Registrant Phone Number: +1.8648345276
    Registrant Email: [email protected]
    Administrative Contact ID: D112847359192860
    Administrative Contact Name: Douglas Glass
    Administrative Contact Organization: Douglas Glass
    Administrative Contact Address1: 315 Hawkins Road
    Administrative Contact City: Travelers Rest
    Administrative Contact State/Province: SC
    Administrative Contact Postal Code: 29690
    Administrative Contact Country: United States
    Administrative Contact Country Code: US
    Administrative Contact Phone Number: +1.8648345276
    Administrative Contact Email: [email protected]
    Billing Contact ID: B112847361103022
    Billing Contact Name: YahooDomains BillingContact
    Billing Contact Organization: Yahoo! Inc
    Billing Contact Address1: 701 First Ave.
    Billing Contact City: Sunnyvale
    Billing Contact State/Province: CA
    Billing Contact Postal Code: 94089
    Billing Contact Country: United States
    Billing Contact Country Code: US
    Billing Contact Phone Number: +1.6198813096
    Billing Contact Email: [email protected]
    Technical Contact ID: B112847361103023
    Technical Contact Name: YahooDomains TechContact
    Technical Contact Organization: Yahoo! Inc
    Technical Contact Address1: 701 First Ave.
    Technical Contact City: Sunnyvale
    Technical Contact State/Province: CA
    Technical Contact Postal Code: 94089
    Technical Contact Country: United States
    Technical Contact Country Code: US
    Technical Contact Phone Number: +1.6198813096
    Technical Contact Email: [email protected]
    Name Server: YNS1.YAHOO.COM
    Name Server: YNS2.YAHOO.COM
    Created by Registrar: MELBOURNE IT LTD
    Last Updated by Registrar: MELBOURNE IT LTD
    Domain Registration Date: Wed Oct 05 00:53:59 GMT 2005
    Domain Expiration Date: Wed Oct 04 23:59:59 GMT 2006
    Domain Last Updated Date: Wed Oct 05 00:54:01 GMT 2005

I'm not saying elitesoft is a scam, but this sound FISHY.

I'd stay far, far away from it.
    My own effort to combat the scams:
    Work from Home Guide.

Re: Russian software Co. offering 5% on western union transfers

UPDATE: I notified Monster.com and they sent me this email stating that I was solicited in a money laundering scam after they conducted a brief investigation....Here it is:

Hi,

The email you are inquiring about is NOT a Monster authorized email. It was NOT sent by or through Monster. The email is just like general spam email in that it is not directed at a targeted audience, the distribution list is generally large and the email addresses are obtained via spidering or programs that generate email addresses for the purpose of spam distribution lists. It is also important to note that the email addresses of the recipients were not obtained from a Monster database. This email is attempting to engage unsuspecting individuals in a money laundering scam. It is in your best interest to disregard the email. Do not engage with the entities. If you did begin correspondence and have started the required financial transactions, it is recommended that you contact local law enforcement immediately to request the appropriate steps to absolve yourself from any wrong doing. So that we may appropriately report this spam/scam email to the appropriate vendors, please provide me with the full internet header information from the email. Instructions on obtaining the header information can be found at the following link: http://www.spamcop.com/help_with_headers/ You may also want to report this spam/scam email to the Federal Trade Commission: https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01

For more information on how to conduct a safe job search and how to detect online scams, please visit http://www.lookstoogoodtobetrue.com/fraud/jobscam.html as well as http://help.monster.com/besafe/.

Thanks

Rahul Agarwal

Monster Customer Central

nysfinancial.com///uses western union

this is something my g/f just got roped into..i confronted her..and she has no clue...

i noticed a large money transfer and ?'d her about it..she blew me off..i then confronted her and now fear she may be in trouble.
    she says she didn't send bank info..

they send money order/cashiers chk..and she "took out her commission/fees" and wired the rest.

they're based in NY and 2 other countries..
    the whois on the site is a lady in houston tx who also runs day care.

this from their site to be an "employee" (or i say..accomplis to you losing your own $)...

what is the liability if you launder a fake check that comes back fraud??

not the penalty for laundering (she is not knowingly doing this ..she's getting scammed in my opinion)..

here's their site req. to participate...any thoughts?

thx...

Finance Correspondence Assistant/Manager:

No special experience is required for this position!

We hire all over the USA except Alaska and Hawaii.

We are looking for honest and bright people for this position.

Requirements:
    - Resident of United States or UK, Canada, Australia
    - Basic knowledge of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and email;
    - Home Computer with e-mail account and ability to check your e-mail box at least twice a day;
    - Adults only accepted (we cannot hire ******** people);
    - 2-4 hours free during the week (mainly in the evening / non-business hours) for communication and 3-4 hours a week for correspondence/transfers processing. So your salary will be from US 36000 a year and higher;
    - Bank account to receive funds from our company for the activity;
    - We will conclude the contract with you on the constant activity;

General job description:

Handling of finance correspondence: money orders, personal or cashiers checks, and bank wire transfers from your own home.

Those people who are accepted for this job will follow these simple instructions:

1. Receive the fiance correspondence and wire transfers from our company to his/her home address
    2. Report to our manager (every candidate will be included to the manager list)
    3. Receive special instructions from manager for WesternUnion/MoneyGram transfer.
    4. Transfer funds according instructions to company(not later 1 business day).
    You will receive an e-mail instruction for each transfer.
    5. Provide Control number of the transfer(MTCN).
    6. Check your e-mail 1-2 times per day (every hour is welcome)

Methods of reception of the money resources for activity:

1. Wire transfer to your banking account or check to your adress (preferred method);
    2. Paypal transfer(http://www.paypal.com (preferred method) - The fastest way to recieve payments from us - You should have a verified Paypal account;

Please send your resumes to:
    [email protected]
    or if you are without resume or employment history simply send your name address and a few comments or reasons why you should be considered for this position.

Correspondence Assistant:

Honest Workers Needed.
    Are you blessed with a new child yet unable to attend work? Are you a college student with odd class schedules impairing regular work time?
    Well you're in luck!
    We are looking for honest and communicative people to sort, store, and make readily available our delivered correspondence from your own home!
    This is not a sales gimmick requiring you to pay setup fees or sign up to a mailing list. This is a business requiring only limited amounts of your time. You will need no money to start!
    Spaces are limited so act now for this great intuitive job offer.
    We require people from USA.

General job description:

Handling of packages and letters from your own home! Receiving, sending, sorting and repacking of packages as well as checking for missing parts.

Those people who are accepted for this job will follow these simple instructions:

1. Receive the correspondence from our company to his/her home address
    2. Report to our manager (every candidate will be included to the manager list)
    3. Repacks received items following the instructions, which our manager will send to you.
    4. Receive money from our company for shipping. Money transfer method described below.
    We'll sign a contract for a long-term partnership (6 months) by e-mail. In the nearest future
    we'll send you the contract for your signature, after that you'll resend it to us. Also we'll need
    in yours scanned ID drivers license.
    5. Fill in the forms and papers as it will be shown in our managers instructions (you will
    receive an e-mail instruction for each box).
    6. Ship the package out using the specified shipping method (at this moment we use
    mainly EMS /every USPS office can ship it with EMS Global Express)
    7. Receive and cash Money Orders and Cashiers Cheques.
    8. Transfer the money to our company.
    9. Check your e-mail 3-4 times per day (every hour is welcome)

Requirements:
    - Resident of United States or UK, Canada, Australia
    - Basic knowledge of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and email;
    - Home Computer with e-mail account and ability to check your e-mail box at least twice a day;
    - Adults only accepted (we cannot hire ******** people);
    - 2-4 hours free during the week (mainly in the evening / non-business hours) for communication and 3-4 hours a week for correspondence/transfers processing. So your salary will be from US 24000 a year and higher;

Please send your resumes to:
    [email protected]
    or if you are without resume or employment history simply send your name address and a few comments or reasons why you should be considered for this position.