+ Reply to Thread

I love Cullen Skink

I love the way my Uncle made Cullen Skink when I was young, but can't find his recipe, it was what he made aas cook on a fishing boat, and used a can of soup as a base.
    I have CS recipes but cannot remember how he made it. Anyone know?

Yawn... is offline I ain't got time for pedantic Ghandi type internet nerds User Rank

Re: I love Cullen Skink

Quote Originally Posted by shadowhawker View Post
    I love the way my Uncle made Cullen Skink when I was young, but can't find his recipe, it was what he made aas cook on a fishing boat, and used a can of soup as a base.
    I have CS recipes but cannot remember how he made it. Anyone know?
    Ingredients
    For the stock
    75g/2½oz butter
    1 tbsp vegetable oil
    2 leeks, roughly chopped
    2 onions, peeled, roughly chopped
    2 fennel bulbs, roughly chopped
    250ml/9fl oz white wine
    500g/17½oz smoked haddock
    750ml/1 pint 7fl oz water
    For the soup
    75g/2½oz butter
    1 tbsp vegetable oil
    2 leeks, finely chopped
    2 shallots, peeled, finely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed
    300g/10½oz potatoes, peeled, chopped
    500ml/17½fl oz double cream
    1 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
    pinch freshly grated nutmeg

Preparation method
    For the stock, heat the butter and vegetable oil in a large pan and gently fry the leeks, onions and fennel for 3-4 minutes, or until softened.
    Add the white wine to the pan and bring to the boil. Add the smoked haddock, pour in the water and bring back to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, skimming off any scum that rises to the surface, until the haddock is cooked through.
    Strain the haddock, reserving the cooking stock. Chop the haddock into bite-sized pieces.
    For the soup, heat the butter with the vegetable oil and fry the leeks, shallots and garlic for 3-4 minutes, or until softened. Add the potatoes and the chopped smoked haddock to the pan.
    Add the reserved cooking stock and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Stir in the cream and briefly blend the soup with a stick blender.
    Serve the soup with crusty bread and sprinkle with the chopped fresh parsley and a sprinkling of freshly grated nutmeg.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/cullenskink_92467

This soup is a local specialty, from the town of Cullen in Moray, on the north-east coast of Scotland. i'm scottish (far removed) and never had the stuff!?:rotz:: :yelcutelaughA::elvis:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cullen_skink
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

on another NOTE i will ad this.......I LOVE a constant STEW!? what makes ANY stew LOVABLE!? the PLACE!? the SERVICE!? the INGEDIENTS the COMPANY!? the SHARED MOMENT in a COMMON FULLfillment!? or is it fullFILLment!? what's the DIFF i might ask!? if the USA is a MELTING POT, we all must LIKE the STEW or ELSE!? if everyone is contributing the RIGHT INGREDIENTS, the STEW must SPILLUTH over to even the STEW haters!? who can HATE FREE STEW!? did i mention i AINT been FISHIN for YRS!? so i just throw INTO THE pot WHATEVER'S handY to KEEP the AROMA in the WIND as an irresistible ATTRACTION you might SAY!? the way to a mans HEART is thru his BELLY!? why FIGHT reality!? ::crazy1::judges:
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you