+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Teach In China

Teach In China

This guy is asking for people to come teach English in China, because they have such a great need for it. No previous experience necessary. All you need is to be a native English speaker. Wants you to send a resume and pic of yourself, so he can begin finding a school for you to teach at. Does anyone know about whether this is legit or not?

Re: Teach In China

Don't know about that one, but I taught English as a foreign language when I was working on a Doctorate in Germany, and my German was less than legible to say the least. I wasn't "paid" per se, though it did offset some of my expenses studying overseas.
    This was Catholic University Eichstadt, in Ingolstadt, Bavaria, in the late 1990s.
    If people are looking for real and verified business opportunities....DRF Fund is definitely a program that I can recommend with confidence."

Wanrou

Quote Originally Posted by CreCre002
    This guy is asking for people to come teach English in China, because they have such a great need for it. No previous experience necessary. All you need is to be a native English speaker. Wants you to send a resume and pic of yourself, so he can begin finding a school for you to teach at. Does anyone know about whether this is legit or not?
    How about posting his website? There is too little info to make any conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by CreCre002
    Be very careful. I teach English in South Korea, which is not a terrible place to do this if you're very careful about who you accept a job from. China is much the same, but you have to be even more careful as I understand it, because there is absolutely no regulation of the private English academies there.

To call it English teaching is probably streching the definition of the word. Unless the place is absolutely fantastic (and if they're advertising for teachers wiht no experience or qualifications...well you do the math) you'll most likely be a combination of baby sitter and mascot. You're face will tell people that they have a native speaking teacher on staff and as such are serious about teaching English, and that's about as far as it's going to go. You'll likely end up doing a lot of listen and repeat stuff with young children who really don't want to be there, be given no training, and be held personally responsible for anything that goes wrong in the classes.

If you really want to teach English in a foreign country, I'd advise avoiding recruiters like this, who will promise you the moon and stars until you're actually in your school, and then will dump you since his fee's been paid. Do some research on your own (do a google search for Dave's ESL cafe, it's a great information site about ESL teaching), and then start looking for available jobs and apply for them yourself.

Colin Neilson