+ Reply to Thread

Does this sound legitimate or a scam?

I replied to an ad about a work at home position as a ebay lister assistant. The only thing I need to do is post items on the website and forward any questions a buyer may have regarding an item. It sounds simple but here is where I get a little cautious:

"You sell on your ebay account (most likely your personal, since your professionals already have alot of stuff on there, I don't want to intermingle my stuff with all that stuff, and you'd probably agree with that), and money goes to your paypal account. After each week, you will deduct your commission (10% of the sales figure), ebay, and paypal fees from the sales figure, then whatever is left over, you'll simply paypal that over to me"

Wouldn't it makes sense to use his account to do the work instead using my own? How about the 10 percent deduction from sales? Sorry I'm seem a bit slow about this but i want to get a second opinion.

If there anything you think sound "fishy" with this description, please let me know! I want to be cautious to avoid being a victim of a scammer.

Re: Does this sound legitimate or a scam?

100% scam.

There is no job.

There is only a scammer trying to steal your hard-earned money and maybe your freedom.

The next email will be from another of the scammer's fake names and free email addresses pretending to be the "assistant" and will supply you with stock photos of merchandise. You are suppose to open an ebay, paypal and craigslists accounts in YOUR name, advertise the merchandise, collect money in YOUR name and send the cash onto the scammer via Western Union, moneygram or paypal.

The scammer will NEVER ship anything to the buyers, so you get the real life job of paying them all back, plus pay fees to ebay and paypal. Then you are ip banned from ebay, paypal and craigslists. Your paypal-linked bank account or credit card could be permenantly closed and now you are blacklisted from ever opening another account at your bank. Being ip banned for scamming is the real reason that scammer can't post on ebay or craigslist or any other auction/selling site.

Western Union and moneygram do not verify anything on the form the sender fills out, not the name, not the street address, not the country, not even the gender of the receiver, it all means absolutely nothing. The clerk will not bother to check ID and will simply hand off your cash to whomever walks in the door with the MTCN# and question/answer. Neither company will tell the sender who picked up the cash, at what store location or even in what country your money walked out the door. Neither company has any kind of refund policy, money sent is money gone forever.

Paypal can only get your money back if there is money left in the scammer's paypal-linked bank account. Scammers know this and will immediately withdrawal your money and disappear. No money in the scammer's paypal-linked bank account means absolutely no possibility of refund for you.

Any "paycheck" you receive will be fake and will bounce. In fact the scammer might try to steal more of your money by saying he "accidentally" sent a check made out for "too much money". Then he will demand you cash that large fake check sent on a stolen UPS/FedEx billing account number and send most of the "money" via Western Union or moneygram back to the scammer. When your bank realizes the check is fake and it bounces, you get the real life job of paying back the bank for the bounced check fees and all the bank's money you sent to an overseas criminal.

Now that you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

You could post up the email address and the emails themselves that the scammer is using, it will help make your post more googlable for other suspicious potential victims to find when looking for information.

Do you know how to check the header of a received email? If not, you could google for information. Being able to read the header to determine the geographic location an email originated from will help you weed out the most obvious scams and scammers. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even partial sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

7 "Rules to follow" to avoid most fake jobs:
    1) Job asks you to use your personal bank/paypal account and/or open a new one.
    2) Job asks you to print/mail/cash a check or money order.
    3) Job asks you to use Western Union or moneygram in any capacity.
    4) Job asks you to accept packages and re-ship them on to anyone.
    5) Job asks you to pay visas, travel fees via Western Union or moneygram.
    6) Job asks you to sign up for a credit reporting or identity verification site.
    7) Job asks you to post ads on ebay/craigslist or on forums advertising merchandise, programs or other websites

Avoiding all jobs that mention any of the above listed 'red flags' and you will miss nearly all fake jobs. Only scammers ask you to do any of the above. No. Exceptions. Ever. For any reason.

If you google "fake job posting ads scam", "selling on ebay fraud Western Union", "fake ebay paypal account scam" or something similar, you will find hundreds of posts from victims and near-victims of this type of scam.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

Quote Originally Posted by chekker View Post
    Wouldn't it makes sense to use his account to do the work instead using my own? How about the 10 percent deduction from sales? Sorry I'm seem a bit slow about this but i want to get a second opinion.
    IF the seller was a real, legit seller and not a scammer, then YES, he would use his own account. However since he is a lying, scheming scammer, he wants you to "take the fall" for his scam, which is why he wants to convince victims to use their own accounts.

The 10% deduction from sales is just to make you think the deal is legit, because you aren't being asked to send all the money to the scammer as that would be suspicious. The "keep 10%" part is also suppose to be "proof" that the scammer trusts you. Most people think of themselves as trustworthy and like it when others think the same of them. It is part of the psychology of scammers, obtain the trust of potential victims so they will turn into victims sending cash back to the scammer.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

Thanks for answering. i haven't accepted the offer and this response confirmed my skepticism... i guess it's time to look for something else again.

Quote Originally Posted by chekker View Post
    I replied to an ad about a work at home position as a ebay lister assistant. The only thing I need to do is post items on the website and forward any questions a buyer may have regarding an item. It sounds simple but here is where I get a little cautious:

"You sell on your ebay account (most likely your personal, since your professionals already have alot of stuff on there, I don't want to intermingle my stuff with all that stuff, and you'd probably agree with that), and money goes to your paypal account. After each week, you will deduct your commission (10% of the sales figure), ebay, and paypal fees from the sales figure, then whatever is left over, you'll simply paypal that over to me"

If there anything you think sound "fishy" with this description, please let me know! I want to be cautious to avoid being a victim of a scammer.
    My friend experience with this kind of method. They will use your account and paypal they will receive the money and you get your commission but they will not deliver the product so your paypal got dispute.
    :2gunsfiring_v1:

Anytime you have to use your own personal account to post anything for someone else, HUGE SCAM. They are going to rip people off and you are going to be the one stuck because it happened on your account. Stay away from.

So simply you will have to sell some things for these guys. What happens if you decide not to send the remaining amount of money to them? They can not prove that you stole anything from them.