+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Diabetes - An idiots guide/Advise needed

A close friend of mine has just been diagnosed with having diabetes.

I was under the (it seems false) impression, that they would have to inject insulin every day, but it appears not, it seems that it is not that type of diabetes, but a less serious one, one that can go away.

They are not overweight, and just happened to call in to their GP, because they had been feeling incredibly tired of late, etc.

Does anyone know of much about this illness, and what I might need to know, if I am out with them, ie; some practical advise?

I can do a search on the net, of course, however, all I ended up with was lots of complicated sounding info.

I just want to be informed.

Anyone help?

Thanks

Steve

x
    "Ethics" is simply a last-gasp attempt by deist conservatives and
    orthodox dogmatics to keep humanity in ignorance and obscurantism,
    through the well tried fermentation of fear, the fear of science and
    new technologies.
    There is nothing glorious about what our ancestors call history,
    it is simply a succession of mistakes, intolerances and violations.

Re: Diabetes - An idiots guide/Advise needed

He must have come down with type II diabetes. He has lost the ability of insuline to regulate his blood sugar. I mentioned earlier that anatomy is somewhat of a pasttime for me but be warned, I am not a doctor.

In the early seventies, the world got onto this low fat high carbohydrate kick. Trouble with that diet is, unless you are a marathon runner, you're gonna get fat eating that way. But everybody bought it and now we have a diabetes epidemic in the US. Now the entire vegetarian world is going to jump all over me for this but when my matabolism seemed to shut down when I turned 40, I started piling on the pounds. No amount of excercise or eating seemed to help. My blood sugar began to rise to pre diabetic levels along with my cholesterol and tryglicerides. I finally started to read about the Atkins eating plan and decided to give it a try. I won't go into it here, you need the book to understand his theories but it works. Cutting out all carbs and eating as much fat and protein as I wanted I lost 30 pounds, my tryglicerides were cut in half and my cholesterol dropped to healthy levels. Most importantly for your friend though, my blood sugar is well into the normal range again. It's all a question of stableizing blood surgar levels and not allowing insuline to spike during meal time.

OK all you rabbit food eaters. Let me have it. But Atkins does work.
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

Oh and BTW. Someone will bring up the idea that this eating plan will damage the kidneys. There is no evidence to support this. Millions have used atkins with no problems associated exclusively with the plan. However, if you already have kidney or liver problems, check with a doctor first.

But Atkins does work.
    You mean it, or something else you were doing at the same time, or a combination of things, worked for you. If someone has a cite to the clinical trials on the Atkins diet, we can learn whether or not it works for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Parcival
    You mean it, or something else you were doing at the same time, or a combination of things, worked for you. If someone has a cite to the clinical trials on the Atkins diet, we can learn whether or not it works for everyone.
    Probably something like atkins. com would work. Don't know. I had the book. In it he talks about several trials but I gave the book away so can't say. He does give several examples of people who followed his advise that were able to stop using injected insuline and switched to pill form and others who were taken off insuline alltogether. I changed nothing but my eating habits. My experience is anacdoatal(sp) if you will. Nobody should do anything for thier health because I said so. They should check with resourses they trust. But what I have stated is factual in regards to what I experienced. And no I will not post my before and after lab results or waist measurements. :)
    Last edited by bogie; 02-05-2007 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    He must have come down with type II diabetes. He has lost the ability of insuline to regulate his blood sugar. I mentioned earlier that anatomy is somewhat of a pasttime for me but be warned, I am not a doctor..

John, I think that is the one, type 2.

Odd thing is, he is not at all fat, never had an issue with his weight, and he is about 40, odd that he would suddenly develop this.

I only spoke to him briefly, however, he has been prescribed some sort of medication, NOT the type you inject. What do you think they might be?

He has also been told that eventually he should be able to control this just by what he eats and doesn't eat.

It's pretty confusing...

Can someone like that eat chocolate then, or have sugar in their tea or coffee?

:confused:
    new technologies.

Type 2 diabetes is one that you develop from eating improperly over a period of years and is 100% curable by a proper dietary regimen. Type 1 is a form that someone is born with and is controlled better by a proper dietary regimen but they will always be somewhat insulin dependent.

I to have type II diabeties. I also tried a simular diet as bogie and it has worked wonders for me. I went from 242 lbs down to 208. My blood sugar is stable. I drink absolutly no pop or anything with sugar in it. Its been a 1-1/2 since I found out I had it and I feel so much better. But he must stick to a good diet and exercise regiment.

My boss has type 2, He has been taking cooking classes specifically for the diet he needs to keep, also he checks his blood with one of those B.B. King blood checkers. Being aware of what his blood sugar is after he eats certain foods has helped him emensely in adjusting his diet. Check with your local continuing ed programs (or your friend should) to see if they have courses on the proper diet.

BTW, a buddy of mine did the Atkins diet, he lost mondo poundage, but he had to drop it because he couldn't survive without Guiness! :D

Quote Originally Posted by enlightenment
    John, I think that is the one, type 2.

Odd thing is, he is not at all fat, never had an issue with his weight, and he is about 40, odd that he would suddenly develop this.

I only spoke to him briefly, however, he has been prescribed some sort of medication, NOT the type you inject. What do you think they might be?

He has also been told that eventually he should be able to control this just by what he eats and doesn't eat.

It's pretty confusing...

Can someone like that eat chocolate then, or have sugar in their tea or coffee?

:confused:
    Yeah, you get type I as a child usually and need shots to control it. Your friend has type II. I know from experience he can probably control it with his diet. And you don't have to be overweight to get it. It's all about something they call the "glycemic index". Unlike just sugar, all foods have a glycemic index or the tendency of that food raising blood sugar levels not necessarilly the suger content of the food itself. Believe it or not, a baked potato will raise your blood suger faster than a teaspoon of raw sugar. The potato has a very high GI. Others are rice, pasta and anything made with white enriched flour. Bad news for you brits and scotts, huh?

He doesn't have to go on a strick atkins plan. That's a bit radical. But if he'll just knock anything white off his plate it will help. Like white bread, potatos, rice, pasta. Milk can be tough on a diabetic too but I love it too much. Most fruits are very high in GI too. He should stick with lean meats, nuts and green veggies and he'll do fine I'll bet.

Oh yeah. For a sugar substitute in his tea atkins got me using a product called Splenda. Comes in a yellow pack and though it is made from sugar and tastes like sugar, it somehow isn't sugar anymore. Go figure but it works and tastes great. As far as chocolate, he just has to suffer like the rest of us but you know what they say about moderation. Ok now and then but if he really has a sugar problem he's going to spike his pancreas to release that nasty insuline. So if it causes trouble, no coco.
    Last edited by bogie; 02-05-2007 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jigglepete
    My boss has type 2, He has been taking cooking classes specifically for the diet he needs to keep, also he checks his blood with one of those B.B. King blood checkers. Being aware of what his blood sugar is after he eats certain foods has helped him emensely in adjusting his diet. Check with your local continuing ed programs (or your friend should) to see if they have courses on the proper diet.

BTW, a buddy of mine did the Atkins diet, he lost mondo poundage, but he had to drop it because he couldn't survive without Guiness! :D
    Beer and milk were my downfall. Which reminds me Steve, alchohol is a no no until he's got it under control. Then he can try it and see what happens but beer especially has a very high glycemic index. Real bad news, huh?

Beer and milk were my downfall. Which reminds me Steve, alchohol is a no no until he's got it under control. Then he can try it and see what happens but beer especially has a very high glycemic index. Real bad news, huh?
    It's not the best, no......

:(
    new technologies.

Oh and BTW. Someone will bring up the idea that this eating plan will damage the kidneys. There is no evidence to support this. Millions have used atkins with no problems associated exclusively with the plan. However, if you already have kidney or liver problems, check with a doctor first.
    My Godmother was not one of them. She absolutely developed kidney complications from the Atkins Plan, and, in fact, almost lost her life.

She had no kidney/liver problems prior to Atkins.

Quote Originally Posted by HotParadox
    My Godmother was not one of them. She absolutely developed kidney complications from the Atkins Plan, and, in fact, almost lost her life.

She had no kidney/liver problems prior to Atkins.
    I've heard of accounts like your Godmother. Like I say. Nobody should do anything because I say so. Research is the key but low carb eating works for many. Hope she's ok now.

I've heard of accounts like your Godmother. Like I say. Nobody should do anything because I say so. Research is the key but low carb eating works for many. Hope she's ok now.
    Bogie, did you take a vitamin supplement when you were on the Atkins diet? So many fruits and vegetables have, I believe, a high GI, and excluding them would leave you short some vitamins.

So in essence, someone with type 2, as a general rule, would want to eat more than the average amount of red meat, and possibly top that up with vitamin supplements, while anything that is white, pasta, rice, etc, that is a noooo, coffee with sugar is a no? Alchohol, is a no, esp beer..?

Am I about right with this...?
    new technologies.