+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

God Is Not ALL-Powerful

Here is my proof it is IMPOSSIBLE for God to be omnipotent.

God as the Creator of of reality is unable to create an aspect of reality the He Himself cannot exceed.

Simply put God cannot do anything He Himself cannot do. Period.

Now I will admit God is the Most Powerful being in the Universe but even He logically must have a limit to His power hence cannot be ALL-POWERFUL in that sense.
    Last edited by rubyslippers; 02-01-2007 at 03:47 AM. Reason: none

Re: God Is Not ALL-Powerful

what drugs you be snortin to come up wit dis kinda stuffs????

Quote Originally Posted by heavensent
    what drugs you be snortin to come up wit dis kinda stuffs????
    Good answer there heavensent, but the rest of the question is... and why won't you share, Ruby??? :D

Great example of circular logic there Ruby... it proves nothing. We cannot begin to start to think we can even dream about the most remote possibility of some vague notion of a concept of God's magnitude.

God is the Mind's /and Brains direct relationship of existence?...

Quote Originally Posted by rubyslippers
    Here is my proof it is IMPOSSIBLE for God to be omnipotent.

God as the Creator of of reality is unable to create an aspect of reality the He Himself cannot exceed.

Now I will admit God is the Most Powerful being in the Universe but even He logically must have a limit to His power hence cannot be ALL-POWERFUL in that sense.
    HUH??????????????????
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    HUH??????????????????
    Fancy way of saying 'If God is all powerful can he make a rock too big for Him to lift?' OR a real complicated way of saying Ruby's lost it.

I think you better start reading your Bible. And Jehovah God, is all powerful. God made everything. It took God 6,000 years to make everything, not 6 days, but 6,000 years. One day with God, is equivalent to 1,000 years. I read a post you put out the other day. Satan, the devil, which means Slander, turned evil when he lied about God, in the Garden of Eden, he told Eve that she would not die, and God told them both they would die if they ate from that certain tree. That is when he turned bad. You dont even know what happened. How could you be a teacher on the Holy Bible?

reactions!?are we just a bag of quick reactions!?what is the deeper meaning to any question/statement!?maybe the OP is frustrated with the idea/comcept of a god that is omnipotent but chooses not to fix ALL things!?i've heard many here say similar things!?hehe!!.....just askin

Then lets look at some names of God in Hebrew that He uses for Himself.

Ehiyeh sh'Ehiyeh "I Am That I Am": a modern Hebrew version of "Ehyeh asher Ehyeh".
    Elohei Avraham, Elohei Yitzchak ve Elohei Ya`aqov "God of Abraham, God of Isaac, God of Jacob".
    El ha-Gibbor "God the hero" or "God the strong one".
    Emet "Truth".
    E'in Sof "endless, infinite", Kabbalistic name of God.
    Ro'eh Yisra'el "Shepherd of Israel".
    Ha-Kaddosh, Baruch Hu "The Holy One, Blessed be He".
    Kaddosh Israel "Holy One of Israel".
    Melech ha-Melachim "The King of Kings" or Melech Malchei ha-Melachim "King of Kings of Kings", to express superiority to the earthly rulers title.
    Makom or Hamakom literally "the place"
    Magen Avraham "Shield of Abraham".
    YHWH-Yireh (Yahweh-Yireh) "The Lord will provide" (Genesis 22:13, 14).
    YHWH-Rapha" "The Lord that healeth" (Exodus 15:26).
    YHWH-Niss"i (Yahweh-Nissi) "The Lord our Banner" (Exodus 17:8-15).
    YHWH-Shalom "The Lord our Peace" (Judges 6:24).
    YHWH-Ra-ah "The Lord my Shepherd" (Psalms 23:1).
    YHWH-Tsidkenu "The Lord our Righteousness" (Jeremiah 23:6).
    YHWH-Shammah "The Lord is present" (Ezekiel 48:35).
    Tzur Israel "Rock of Israel".
    Ha Shem "The Name"

Um now which ones are All-Powerful? None. In fact the Lord even when He uses the term All-Powerful as a reference it can just as easily fit the I'm the most powerful as in all power resides in me over all things I can affect. In fact if you include references God says directly and ones refering to God by a mortal its generally not that favored to God refering to be all-powerful. A common one Ehiyeh sh'Ehiyeh "I Am That I Am" can refer to Him very well and doesn't mean He can do everything.

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

If He can do EVERYTHING, then there is nothing that he cannot do. Which, simply put, means he is ALL-POWERFUL.

Lady Mod

A common one Ehiyeh sh'Ehiyeh "I Am That I Am" can refer to Him very well and doesn't mean He can do everything.
    A better translation of this is 'all that was and is and will ever be', or simply existence. Existence exists. G-d is existence. G-d is a verb.

If it makes you feel better, Ribbono Shel Olam, Master of the World or Universe, is another one. But if you're going to pull these names out of the Hebrew, you are going to need to study Jewish tradition with Jews--or you'll miss the point entirely. We have loads more--it's the parzufim, or faces, of G-d, that all the names describe. Not G-d, because G-d pretty much can't be described. In informal prayers, often it's 'Gottenyu'--which is a diminutive--a nickname for G-d, if you will.

But there is a solid history behind all of it. And if we've been managing to remember the Echad through all the names, well, I reckon you can, too.

Or is this a theological crisis of some sort?

I have free will right?

He / she / it cant change that, therfore = NOT ALL-POWERFUL.

Then you have to recognise (a carefully chosen word) what G-d is.

Tricky, I know. And I make no claims to mastery on that one.

ps: I don't usually do the frum (- dash) thing, but Lexx being a god in his own right, said if I didn't, I'd turn into him. I'm taking no chances here :eek:

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by wazzaa
    I have free will right?

He / she / it cant change that, therfore = NOT ALL-POWERFUL.
    Just because God doesn't want robots for followers and therefore allows you to choose your destiny does not make conclusive evidence that He is not ALL-POWERFUL. Faith and obedience are choices.

Lady Mod

i think we are dealing here with the GOD PROBLEM!?it can be posed or stated in many different ways!?the only true answer is to know his mind or will!?and that is a TOTALLY EXPERIENCIAL THING!?not to be confused with logical assumptions!?for the mind making such assumptions is not capable of of knowing!?only trying to propose theories!?but like the bible says.....in him is only YES!?so the catch is......IN him!?(his mind!?)otherwise the no's have it!?omnipotence is not a TOOL!?it's a condition!?so faith is the factor that determines the conditions we experience!?all men have faith!?it's either for or against god!?the kicker is the consequences of their faith/choices are not readily apparent!?another thing came to me today,the idea that mankind is born with no mind!?or is it a totally innocent mind!?is god really totally innocent!?until.......hehe!!.....just askin

Frighteningly enough, Lexx, that actually makes sense :eek: