+ Reply to Thread

Fraudulent Charges from ACM???

After logging in to check my checking account on the morning of 12/15, I noticed an odd charge to my ATM card from two days prior of $9.85 from a "company" called ACM. What ACM stands for, I have no idea, and there was an (866) number listed. When I called, it was a digitized voice and I could not get a hold of any live people as they always seemed to be "busy." There is no way this charge belongs to me, nor would my debit card have fallen into the wrong hands.

In the month-plus since then, I have posted elsewhere and heard from no fewer than half a dozen other people who have also gotten these random ACM charges for $9.85 (usually reading as "ACM 866-464-6836 CA"). That phone number is usually different for all of us, and you can never get anybody live on the line. The only common thread between all of us seems to be the fact that we have used PayPal and/or Ebay within the last 2-3 months, otherwise, we have nothing to go by.

Has ANYONE ever heard of ACM Company (or ACM Inc.) or can shed some light on this probable scam? My bank refused to give me my money back, but it's not about that anymore. I want to help stop these crooks before they steal anymore money from other folks.

Best regards,
    Jason

Re: Fraudulent Charges from ACM???

First time I hear about this...

Please keep us posted for more information.
    My blog - Sick and tired of people making others pay for information you can get free... Download 4 free ebooks on my page, no email asked or anything...

Good read - Information on different scams, not reviews, just info.

Another great forum - It'll help you with your affiliate marketing, and of course, it is free!

Will be sure to do so, but I'm afraid none of us have much more information to go on than what you see here. I cannot find anything on the internet about this sham company. I was hoping someone might be able to look into this, or may recognize the ACM name from somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by jsolomonster
    Will be sure to do so, but I'm afraid none of us have much more information to go on than what you see here. I cannot find anything on the internet about this sham company. I was hoping someone might be able to look into this, or may recognize the ACM name from somewhere?
    I'm hoping you've already called your bank to dispute the charge. Also, did you try googling the phone # to see what comes up?

I not only called my bank, I went down there and was told they would have to fill out a form to be sent to their ATM department, who then decide what to do. However, I was then told there would be a fee for that! In the end, I never did get my money back. I then asked for them to put an alert on my checking account, just to play it safe and make sure that if this ACM ever tried charging my debit card again, it would be flagged. I was promptly told there would be a charge to do that, as well, and that doing so would render me unable to use my debit card for any kind of transaction. It was so ridiculous, I just opted to do nothing. It hasn't happened since, but I just wanted that added layer of protection and Emigrant couldn't even do that for me.

As for googling the phone number, I have tried that and have come up with nothing .. but bear in mind, as I mentioned before, each one of us has been given a different number. I find this so incredibly asinine that nobody can figure anything out about this company (if it really even exists). How many $9.85 charges must they be racking up that people don't even know about!

Billing support is available right now "press one for credit card refund" ... have you tried that?

It's after hours so you can get anybody live. They must be in California, only 8:30 out there. If I were you I'd stay on hold on their 800# for as long as possible, it's their dime.

Let me guess .. you hear the voice say "all operators are busy now," correct? I've been calling for a month at various times of the day, the fact is there IS nobody live to answer your call because it's probably a dummy number. If you push option 1, you end up being prompted to enter your credit card # which any sane, rational person should NOT be doing. I entered a random # once, just to see what would happen, and something peculiar occurred. I ended up at the main menu, only this time, the message said "Thank you for calling BIG company." Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by jsolomonster
    Let me guess .. you hear the voice say "all operators are busy now," correct? I've been calling for a month at various times of the day, the fact is there IS nobody live to answer your call because it's probably a dummy number. If you push option 1, you end up being prompted to enter your credit card # which any sane, rational person should NOT be doing. I entered a random # once, just to see what would happen, and something peculiar occurred. I ended up at the main menu, only this time, the message said "Thank you for calling BIG company." Thoughts?
    actually no the voice said the offices were closed. I guess I'm not sane because I would have entered my cc# to see what would happen. I guess I have better buyer protection from my bank (Chase).

I hope you don't think I was being mean, lol. And yes, your bank probably does a better job than mine of protecting its customers. In any event, as I said earlier, there has to be SOMETHING that can be done to stop these people, or at least find out more about the company.

OMG, I check my checking account every single day and I have a charge coming from my check card from ACM, Pleasanton, CA in my "pending" BUT it's for 14 cents, not the typical amount that you have been charged.

I cannot do anything about it until it actually posts but has anyone found out anything about this company?

Thank god i throught this posting was on about another company called acm but the one you are on about there is a few fing floating around in google or word press blogs about them. :spin2: and its not too nice i cannto put it on teh forum cos im not spamming so use google

I DID use Google, how do you think I got here....

I need to know who they are and from what I understand no one seems to know this.