+ Reply to Thread

Maine rejects Real ID Act

Maine rejects Real ID Act
    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6...ml?tag=nl.e622

By Declan McCullagh, CNET News.com

January 25, 2007

Maine overwhelmingly rejected federal requirements for national identification cards on Thursday, marking the first formal state opposition to controversial legislation scheduled to go in effect for Americans next year.

Both chambers of the Maine legislature approved a resolution saying the state flatly "refuses" to force its citizens to use driver's licenses that comply with digital ID standards, which were established under the 2005 Real ID Act. It asks the U.S. Congress to repeal the law.

The vote represents a political setback for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and Republicans in Washington, D.C., which have argued that nationalized ID cards for all Americans would help in the fight against terrorists.

"I have faith that the Democrats in Congress will hear this from many states and will find a way to repeal or amend this in the coming months," House Majority Leader Hannah Pingree, a Democrat, said in a telephone interview after the vote. "It's not only a huge federal mandate, but it's a huge mandate from the federal government asking us to do something we don't have any interest in doing."

The Real ID Act says that, starting around May 2008, Americans will need a federally approved ID card--a U.S. passport will also qualify--to travel on an airplane, open a bank account, collect Social Security payments or take advantage of nearly any government service. States will have to conduct checks of their citizens' identification papers, and driver's licenses likely will be reissued to comply with Homeland Security requirements.

In addition, the national ID cards must be "machine-readable," with details left up to Homeland Security, which hasn't yet released final regulations. That could end up being a magnetic strip, an enhanced bar code or radio frequency identification (RFID) chips.

The votes in Maine on the resolution were nonpartisan. It was approved by a 34-to-0 vote in the state Senate and by a 137-to-4 vote in the House of Representatives.

Other states are debating similar measures. Bills pending in Georgia, Massachusetts, Montana and Washington state express varying degrees of opposition to the Real ID Act.

Montana's is one of the strongest. The legislature held a hearing on Wednesday on a bill that says "The state of Montana will not participate in the implementation of the Real ID Act of 2005" and directs the state motor vehicle department "not to implement the provisions."

Barry Steinhardt, director of the ACLU's Technology and Liberty Project, said he thinks Maine's vote will "break the logjam, and other states are going to follow." (The American Civil Liberties Union has set up an anti-Real ID Web site called Real Nightmare).

Pingree, Maine's House majority leader, said the Real ID Act would have cost the state $185 million over five years and required every state resident to visit the motor vehicle agency so that several forms of identification--including an original copy of the birth certificate and a Social Security card--would be uploaded into a federal database.

Growing opposition to the law in the states could create a political pickle for the Bush administration. The White House has enthusiastically embraced the Real ID Act, saying it (click for PDF) "facilitates the strengthening by the states of the standards for the security and integrity of drivers' licenses."

But if a sufficient number of states follow Maine's lead, pressure would increase on a Democratic Congress to relax the Real ID rules--or even rescind them entirely.

A key Republican supporter of the Real ID Act said Thursday that the law was just as necessary now as when it was enacted as part of an $82 billion military spending and tsunami relief bill. (Its backers say it follows the recommendations that the 9/11 Commission made in 2004.)

"Real ID is needed to protect the American people from terrorists who use drivers licenses to board planes, get jobs and move around the country as the 9/11 terrorists did," Texas Rep. Lamar Smith, the top Republican on the House Judiciary Committee, said in an e-mailed statement. "It makes sense to have drivers licenses that ensure a person is who they say they are. It makes the country safer and protects the American people from terrorists who would use the most common form of ID as cover."

Re: Maine rejects Real ID Act

Hurray for Maine. I hope every state follows their lead.

Lady Mod

Am I missing something here??? I dont have a problem with an ID card.
    "They" already know everything about us anyway and if they have nothing
    better to do than keep up with me, well, then go for it. Thats the least
    of my worries.
    SS numbers are already used for everything....legal or not. :p

Quote Originally Posted by goodwitchofthesouth
    of my worries.
    In addition, the national ID cards must be "machine-readable," with details left up to Homeland Security, which hasn't yet released final regulations. That could end up being a magnetic strip, an enhanced bar code or radio frequency identification (RFID) chips.
    And you WANT to give them permission to track your every move? And with the billions of people living here, this is somehow supposed to stop terrorists?That is hogwash, it's not going to stop attacks if an enemy is determined to attack us. Their whole justification for requiring these ID's stinks.

There is a product one can purchase now (illegal in 7 states but they advertise it on the radio) to scramble police radar for up to 2 miles. What makes you think that any form of identity can't be thwarted by a terrorist? For crying out loud, they lived and trained in our own country, took flying lessons before they hijacked our planes to crash into our buildings.

Do you honestly think taking away our "right to travel" unhindered and requiring us to give up one more freedom in this country is actually going to stop terrorist attacks?

Get the idiots out of Washington and we might have a shot at developing peace plans. But requiring US citizenry to be trackable and monitored 24/7 isn't going to do it. It's a collosal waste of tax dollars.

There are better ways to spend the money.

Lady Mod
    Last edited by sojustask; 01-30-2007 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    Hurray for Maine. I hope every state follows their lead.

Lady Mod
    I concur.
    I hope ALL states follow their lead.I don't see it happening though.
    I am very concerned about this though.This may be my line in the sand.I don't know that I am prepared to make that stand yet,at least not alone.
    My respect and support to Main.My hope is that Michigan will follow.
    We can chase down all our enemies
    bring them to their knees
    we can bomb the world to pieces
    but we cant bomb it into peace
    whoa, we may even find a solution
    to hunger and disease

Michael Franti,Spearhead

Governments LOVE to control their citizens. The Real ID Act is just more control over your life and less freedom.

I think that there are a surprising number of people that already live their lives "under the radar" and "off the grid" and cances are they have a clear "field of fire" as well...I could not see any of them, or any one I know for that matter, lying down for this...

Quote Originally Posted by Dawud
    Governments LOVE to control their citizens. The Real ID Act is just more control over your life and less freedom.
    I agree.
    So heres a question,not just to you but to whoever.
    If our troops are over seas fighting,losing limbs,and dieing for our freedom,are we then negating their efforts by giving them away so freely here at home?
    Isn't our duty as citizens to protect our freedom and our homeland as well,especially when our troops are fighting else where?
    Ordinary citizens would not allow a foreign entity to enter their state, city, or home simply because soldiers were busy else where.
    Yet we are so willing to give it freely to someone within our own walls simply because they are currently with our government and say they have our best interests in mind.
    There is only so much protection the government can provide to its people.
    The people must realize that to some degree we must take responsibility for ourselves and our own protection.And that sometimes bad and terrible things happen that no one could have prevented no matter what security measures had been taken prior.
    And lets not forget we aren't talking about just frequent fliers sick of long lines.We are talking about mandatory for all.
    We can chase down all our enemies
    bring them to their knees
    whoa, we may even find a solution
    to hunger and disease

Michael Franti,Spearhead

Big Brother keeping tabs on those of us who are here legally, is just more bars on the windows while the back door is protected by a hasp with a bent nail as a lock?

It only keeps the honest people honest?? The fake ID's just like the counterfeit money will be available on the black-market before the new ID's are issued to the first law abiding citizen?

If they want to do something productive, stop harassing the legal law abiding citizens and go after the criminals for a change? What a novel concept, wonder why nobody in Washington came up with that idea?

Oh that's right there is no money to be made by promoting logic and common sense, but fear can turn a buck faster than a bad throw at the craps table!

Next roller please!

TheWorker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by goodwitchofthesouth
    of my worries.
    i wouldnt have a problem with it either, but it would be pretty anoying to have to reorder a SS card just to get a new drivers license, which, by the way, you think will be free?? the answer is probably not....