+ Reply to Thread

How do I know whether this is a scam?

Hi:
    Today, I received an email from a work at home job that I applied for a little while ago that appeared legitimate. They asked me to take part in a phone interview with a representative of their company on Thursday. I'm fairly certain that this is not a scam, but just to be cautious is there anything that I should look out for in the interview that might signal that this is a scam offer? For example, if they request that I pay to work for them that would obviously make it a scam.(They haven't done that.) What else would mean it's a scam?
    If someone could respond to this post reasonably quickly I would appreciate it as I'll be talking to them on Thursday.
    Thanks,
    amitt

Re: How do I know whether this is a scam?

If it has anything to do with accounting, using your bank acct, setting up a bank acct or handling money in any way, I would be wary. Can we have the companies name? That would make it easier. What is the job title?

As Katie has mentioned, some more information would help in determining if you have received a scam job offer.

What is the name and email address that contacted you?

That being said, there are "red flags" to look for in a scam job.

6 "Rules to follow" to avoid most fake jobs:
    1) Job asks you to use your personal bank account and/or open a new one.
    2) Job asks you to print/mail/cash a check or money order.
    3) Job asks you to use Western Union or moneygram in any capacity.
    4) Job asks you to accept packages and re-ship them on to anyone.
    5) Job asks you to pay visas, travel fees via Western Union or moneygram.
    6) Job asks you to sign up for a credit reporting or identity verification site.

Avoiding all jobs that mention any of the above listed 'red flags' and you will miss nearly all fake jobs. Only scammers ask you to do any of the above. No. Exceptions. Ever. For any reason.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

Hi:
    Well, I just spoke with someone from the company and had a very professional conversation. They hired me and none of the red flags that you were so kind to post came up. This is a book reviewer job that I found and everything seems legitimate at this point. But, if I encounter any problems I'll be sure to post them on here. Still, I would like to thank both of you for your advice. It was very helpful and reassuring.
    It's gratifying and comforting to know that there are people like both of you who offer their help with finding work from home jobs.
    Thanks,
    amitt
    Last edited by amitt; 03-14-2013 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amitt View Post
    Hi:
    Well, I just spoke with someone from the company and had a very professional conversation. They hired me and none of the red flags that you were so kind to post came up. This is a book reviewer job that I found and everything seems legitimate at this point. But, if I encounter any problems I'll be sure to post them on here. Still, I would like to thank both of you for your advice. It was very helpful and reassuring.
    It's gratifying and comforting to know that there are people like both of you who offer their help with finding work from home jobs.

Thanks,
    amitt
    Very cool post!

Nice job folks!

Warm fuzzy time...:ylsuper:
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Is it a book reviewer or a horrible job counting letters/paragraphs,proofreading? and if you make a tiny mistake they don't pay you?

If it does turn out to be a scam, please come back to "name and shame" the company.

Of course any company that requests you to pay before they give you a job it is a scam. Since when did we pay to get jobs? I would never pay to get a job personally.