+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Death sentence debate

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM
    Thanks... that was the avatar's intended effect. What's funnier is to see a horse do that (usually when they smell something bad... their turning their nose up... there's a story with that, but I'll leave it alone *lol*).
    He looks like he's smiling, Paul! :D I would never have guessed that he's doing it because of something bad!! When you have time, pm me the story you're referring to, please? I'm curious... :p

Anyway... I can see the whole karma thing, but have to go with an actual capital crime conviction...

As far as "botched executions" IMO the only time they're botched is when the condemned does not die.
    I think they deserve to suffer...

Lets see where this goes...

Previously discussed: The death penalty for minors (under 18).

1. Yes or No

2. Do the parents share any responsibility? Yes or No and why.

Parental responsibility is defined as guilt for producing/rearing a child capable of committing a capital crime.

Views from the more recent members???
    Oh man!! LOL... I remember THIS one! There was one other member here who was really into this with you and I... who was it, do you remember?

It'll be interesting to see what the more recent members' views are on this... I'll be watching. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Connecticut Victim
    He looks like he's smiling, Paul! :D I would never have guessed that he's doing it because of something bad!! When you have time, pm me the story you're referring to, please? I'm curious... :p

I think they deserve to suffer...

Oh man!! LOL... I remember THIS one! There was one other member here who was really into this with you and I... who was it, do you remember?

It'll be interesting to see what the more recent members' views are on this... I'll be watching. ;)
    I believe it was PAYEK who was the third person. She still stops in from time to time...

PM on the way

I, sorta, agree. I could buy into 2 appeals over a three year period... max. The reason for two appeals and the three years is to insure all evidence has been taken into account. Afterwards... within 30 days it's 'lights out'.
    Oh alright - you talked me into it... they can have 2 appeals.

But no more than 3 years! And the 30 days is non-negotiable!!

Deal? :D

I believe it was PAYEK who was the third person. She still stops in from time to time...
    Yea - that's right! It was her! Gosh, I haven't seen Payek in a really long time...

PM on the way
    Thank you. :)

oh.. pm's here! damn, you're fast! I'm going to read it...

This is an issue which has been bothering me for many years.

On the one hand, I've always supported the death penalty for persons convicted of crimes which clearly demonstrate a wanton(having no just foundation or provocation : MALICIOUS) disregard for human life; eg., a child predator who kills his victim after the attack or a gang member who deliberately runs down a cop, etc..

On the other, if the possibility of a state execution being usurped by a TV news program for a Roman coliseum style presentation for America's more decadent members to watch and gloat over could be promoted for the sake of profits for commercial AD sponsors, or, if the execution could be botched due to negligence by the state's lack of oversight, then I have to be against the death penalty. And yes, I am painfully aware of the possibility of executing the wrong person.

History has shown that the death penalty does not deter people from committing murder. But then again, it was never intended to be a deterrent in the first place. The actual purpose of the death penalty is to remove society's unwanted. The possibility of rehabilitation, legally speaking, is still moot.

This is an issue in which I find myself unable to take a valid stance. Who knows..? Maybe something new will be discovered that will better help me to decide, but I do thank the members of this board for your very candid reasoning and thoughtful insight, every bit helps!

Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    Didn't think I had to define the word "deterent" when used in the context of this thread but as I wrote it, deterent would mean that the death penalty would deter others from committing capital crimes. I would never suggest that it's purpose would be to deter an already dead person from committing additional crimes. The former does not, the latter obviously does.

Boy comunication can be tough on scam.com. :rolleyes:
    I do understand what you meant when you used the word "deterrent". You meant living people being stopped, or encouraged from committed murder due to the prospect that they'd be executed.

I used the word "deterrent" to mean that a person who commits a crime is deterred from doing it again. Since a dead person cannot re-commit murder his is indeed "deterred" from committing murder. Yeah, it's a little bit of a stretch, but not much.

So, I think that both of our usages of the word are appropriate.

I think that the effectiveness of capital punishment is weakened by the way it's implemented. We should not make the process take 10 years. We should execute the person a month after he/she's sentenced. People need to understand, "you kill, you die". Now, it's "you kill, you spend a decade being fed three squares a day, your teeth are fixed you get plenty of TV and books to read and then you may be executed".

Yep, I agree.

BTW: I do not rejoice when someone is executed. I feel sad, rather; but I also feel that justice is done. I'm feel sadness for the executed person, but I'm even sadder for his victim, whose end was much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Logjam
    I do understand what you meant when you used the word "deterrent". You meant living people being stopped, or encouraged from committed murder due to the prospect that they'd be executed.

I used the word "deterrent" to mean that a person who commits a crime is deterred from doing it again. Since a dead person cannot re-commit murder his is indeed "deterred" from committing murder. Yeah, it's a little bit of a stretch, but not much.

So, I think that both of our usages of the word are appropriate.

I think that the effectiveness of capital punishment is weakened by the way it's implemented. We should not make the process take 10 years. We should execute the person a month after he/she's sentenced. People need to understand, "you kill, you die". Now, it's "you kill, you spend a decade being fed three squares a day, your teeth are fixed you get plenty of TV and books to read and then you may be executed".
    So then the question remains, though to rephrase. Other than the executed, does anyone really believe that the death penalty is a deterent to capitol crimes?
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    So then the question remains, though to rephrase. Other than the executed, does anyone really believe that the death penalty is a deterent to capitol crimes?
    Nope. I stated my opinion in my first post... it is 'social revenge'... nothing more.

Nope. I stated my opinion in my first post... it is 'social revenge'... nothing more.
    Yep..........
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.