+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NT offers - Pitney Bowes problems

Hey all,

This is my first post, but I've been on the board for a while, more to read what everybody's talking about than anything. But currently, I'm having some problems with old Pitney Bowes. I thought I'd post to let others know about what might be a problem before they get involved with this offer, and wanted to see if anybody's had this same problem.

I've listed the long story below, but here is the heart of it: I did one of the NT offer sites with 18 offers. I did Pitney Bowes 90-day free trial for one of them. Once everything completed, I sent it back in the same box as I got it in with the label they provided. Later I would get a notice saying they never received it, and a threat of a $1000 charge to me if they can't locate the meter. Now, I never signed an agreement about a charge like that and followed the instructions in the packaging and shipping. Can anybody give advice about how I should proceed?

===============

long version:

For a Apple Imac, I did the Pitney Bowes offer. It completed pretty quick and I was able to cancel relatively easily. This was in October. Sent the meter back in the same box I got it in with the provided "Smart Label" shipping label. All is well, I get the computer, I get my refund etc.

About a month and a half later, I get a letter in the mail. It's from Pitney, and it's basically a form letter saying that for some reason they haven't gotten the meter back. At the end of the letter, they say, something like, "if you have already returned the meter, please disregard this notice and we appologize for any inconvenience it may have caused."

So anyway, I disregard it, cause I have already returned the meter, and figure it's just a matter of time. Then I get a second letter, same text. Right after that I get this letter from a collection agency about the missing meter, so suddenly, it's been taken up a few notches.

I call Pitney, cause I want to get to the bottom of it now. I talk to one attendent who basically asks me what happened, I tell her I shipped it with their label and unfortunately, though I kept the upper portion of the label, don't have the tracking number for the package any longer. I kept it about a month, but at this point, can't find it.

The crazy thing is that Pitney has no record of any of the tracking numbers they assign to their meters. According to them, it is for my records only and if I do not have that number, there's really no way to locate the package with any sort of tracking.

So anyway, she says that the meter will be logged as lost or stolen and that they'll try to get to the bottom of it. Basically, she makes like this sort of thing happens, and it's not a huge deal.

Then, later I get this charge on my credit card, the same one I used to do the Imac offers. It's from Pitney Bowes, about $23 for meter rental. So I'm confused about why I got this charge.

I called Pitney to inquire. On that call, suddenly things escalate. They said that if they could not find the meter, I would be held liable and would be required to pay $1000 for the replacement of the meter. The person I talked to maintained that some phantom agreement was signed when I got the meter that stipulated this insane charge.

I found out about this two days ago and since then went back to review the entire process of signing up for the 90-day Pitney Bowes meter and there is nothing about a $1000 charge, or any contract that is signed or agreed to.

If anyone has any similar experiences, or ideas about what I should do next, it would be greatly appreciated.

David

Re: NT offers - Pitney Bowes problems

that sux. Print out the T&C for your records and I suggest cancelling your card. Write the collection agency a letter saying the meter was lost and the T&C say you dont have to be held liable if its lost.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

That means that if I ever do this offer, I'll be insuring the meter for $1000 when I send it back. A small price to pay to prove you sent it and (hopefully) avoid the headaches that come with this kind of situation.

-lb

Quote Originally Posted by lb0024
    Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

That means that if I ever do this offer, I'll be insuring the meter for $1000 when I send it back. A small price to pay to prove you sent it and (hopefully) avoid the headaches that come with this kind of situation.

-lb
    The problem is, you don't get to insure it. They send you a prepaid postage label for the return.. I can't remember which shipper.. I believe USPS.

To the original poster, that may be your way out... They paid for the return postage.. if they chose not to insure it, not your problem. Bring that up and fight them. Ask them what good a postage meter would do you if you're not willing to pay for their service...

Basically, they're trying to argue that you stole a useless item, or that you're liable for a shipping problem, when they were 100% responsible for shipping both ways... I don't see a way they can possibly win that argument.

then don't use their prepaid postage to send it back. that is what i am going to do when i sent mine back this week. i've had mine for four months and I am returnign it because their $7 "refill charge" every time you buy postage is insane, and their customer service is WAY too pushy.

I would have kept it if the refill fees were lower.

Quote Originally Posted by thisendup
    Hey all,

This is my first post, but I've been on the board for a while, more to read what everybody's talking about than anything. But currently, I'm having some problems with old Pitney Bowes. I thought I'd post to let others know about what might be a problem before they get involved with this offer, and wanted to see if anybody's had this same problem.

I've listed the long story below, but here is the heart of it: I did one of the NT offer sites with 18 offers. I did Pitney Bowes 90-day free trial for one of them. Once everything completed, I sent it back in the same box as I got it in with the label they provided. Later I would get a notice saying they never received it, and a threat of a $1000 charge to me if they can't locate the meter. Now, I never signed an agreement about a charge like that and followed the instructions in the packaging and shipping. Can anybody give advice about how I should proceed?

===============

Then, later I get this charge on my credit card, the same one I used to do the Imac offers. It's from Pitney Bowes, about $23 for meter rental. So I'm confused about why I got this charge.

--snip--

David
    If I were you I'd cancel the credit card they charged that $23 to, it might be a bit of a pain in the butt, but it'll guarantee they won't charge 1K to your CC. And/Or depending on you CC company, CALL THEM ASAP, tell them what's going on and that you dispute any and all charges from PB.

Quote Originally Posted by oleus
    then don't use their prepaid postage to send it back. that is what i am going to do when i sent mine back this week. i've had mine for four months and I am returnign it because their $7 "refill charge" every time you buy postage is insane, and their customer service is WAY too pushy.

I would have kept it if the refill fees were lower.
    yeah, if I ever do this offer again, I'm FedEx-ing the thing back at my expense. The Smartlabel didn't track for me either. I did follow up on it when no record of the shipment ever appeared on the website, and after a panicked phone call on my part, PB confirmed that they did receive the machine. Had I known, I would gladly have spent the twenty bucks in exchange for the peace of mind of a FedEx tracking label. Not only do you get a full tracking record, you also get a signature of whoever received it on their end.

Quote Originally Posted by cruisergirl
    yeah, if I ever do this offer again, I'm FedEx-ing the thing back at my expense. The Smartlabel didn't track for me either. I did follow up on it when no record of the shipment ever appeared on the website, and after a panicked phone call on my part, PB confirmed that they did receive the machine. Had I known, I would gladly have spent the twenty bucks in exchange for the peace of mind of a FedEx tracking label. Not only do you get a full tracking record, you also get a signature of whoever received it on their end.
    It's good to know that I'm not the only one that couldn't track using the tracking number. SmartLabel tracking is obviously worthless. I think I'll call Pitney on Monday to make sure they got my machine back as well.

I call Pitney, cause I want to get to the bottom of it now. I talk to one attendent who basically asks me what happened, I tell her I shipped it with their label and unfortunately, though I kept the upper portion of the label, don't have the tracking number for the package any longer. I kept it about a month, but at this point, can't find it.

David
    David, I would recommend that you keep calling their customer service number until you get someone who knows what they are doing!

I had a similar problem. First, when I called to arrange the return, they insisted that they send me a brand new box with all the styrofoam inside, even though I still had the identical box it came in. I told the rep that seemed very wasteful, but he insisted, so I used the new box and their SmartLabel. I dropped it off at the post office and forgot about it. Then I got an identical form letter over a month later claiming they never received it. I was going to ignore it, but discovered a $24 meter rental charge on my CC statement. I called again.

I kept the top portion of the return label with the heading, "Pitney Bowes Return Program," and found it in my huge file of papers. Item #5 shows "your tracking number is..." and it is obviously an internal number for them, NOT the postal service. The rep told me that I could not track the package online with that number, but that they could. She tried it, and confirmed the shipment. But she also said their records still showed that it wasn't returned! She spent a LONG time on her computer and eventually discovered that it had, in fact, arrived at some warehouse. That's why you need to speak to someone else who can do a similar search - they may have it but it's not showing up in your records properly. My impression is that PB is VERY slow to log their returns on their computer system, but too quick to send out those letters.

If they still can't find it, I agree your best action is to call your credit card company and dispute the rental charge, and any others that show up. What a mess.

reason A why using a prepaid visa/mastercard is a must when doing these offers. i put $200 on a prepaid card from my bank and i know that no matter how crumby my experience may be, they can only TAKE a maximum of $200 from me without my consent. they may try and bill me past that for something they messed up on, but at least then i have the opportunity to dispute it and never pay it without any possible damage to my credit. i would deffinitely suggest getting a prepaid card for every reward you look into completing offers on. pitney bowes seems really pissy when you talk to them...as if they have been getting screwed for a long time with these rewards and people signing up and canceling but thats a risk they are apparently willing to take. i will probably use PB in the future...but their customer service is most certainly pushy and they deffinitely try and guilt trip you into using their service which i found to be quite tacky.
    Last edited by ahill87; 01-21-2007 at 11:54 PM.
    Recieved
    NT - 42" Samsung Plasma - Started 1/6/07 - Arrived 2/2/07

Processing

Pending
    NT - $2000 Mastercard 0/18 - Parked
    NT - $2000 Mastercard 0/18 - Parked

Thanks for the ideas. I've cancelled my credit card, so I won't be getting any more charges from Pitney.

It's really a bizzare system that they're running with the tracking number, and the fact that they really aren't tracking these packages at all.

The worst part of this is that although Pitney gives me the label to ship the meter back, it is a system that basically has no security. Because they do not seem to retain the "tracking number" on file, they act like this gives them some sort of way out, in which I obviously stole the meter if they can't find it in their warehouse. The point that Pitney is reponsible for shipping both ways, yet they chose not to provide insurance, is an important one I think.

David

I haven't read all the posts but wanted to add that when I returned my meter to Pitney it took them @ 2 1/2 months to show that it had been returned & in that time period I received 2 "bills" from them. thank goodness I'd used a prepaid card so I didn't get charged for it. I'm sorry you are experiencing this, & hope it gets resolved soon.

If you have received the $30 refund from the postage company does that mean that PB has for sure received the meter back? I have sent all my meters back Fed-Ex.

they tried pulling the same BS with me. I called them an said I wasnt hanging up until it was resolved. She took care of it in 15 minutes, I also got the info to get my 30 bucks back, just gotta send a fax and thats it. Good luck!

capri_auto,

If you don't mind me asking, how did things get resolved in your case? With me they're really hanging onto the fact that I don't have the "tracking number" any more, several months after I thought it was resolved. Were you able to figure things out without that number? Any specific advice, etc., that came out of that conversation?

D.

capri_auto,

If you don't mind me asking, how did things get resolved in your case? With me they're really hanging onto the fact that I don't have the "tracking number" any more, several months after I thought it was resolved. Were you able to figure things out without that number? Any specific advice, etc., that came out of that conversation?

D.
    All I know is when I send my meter back, it's going w/a delivery confirmation or a return receipt requested. I might even say the hell w/it and not use their label, but use UPS.